First grow, Autoflowers, and the Mediterranean winter...

• Thread starter fatconeskills
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
fatconeskills

fatconeskills

@fatconeskills go by real wattage not equivalencies. Those equivalency ratings are total BS. My best guess as to what is going on with your plants is that they are overwatered, either that or you have far too much light on those babies. Small plants don't need as much of anything as big plants, so at thins point less is more.
I keep making the same mistake. I start to think my medium is dry, then feed. I was also away for a couple hours and realized the temps go too high for a couple hours. Could that have done it ? @Smoking Gun I always look forward to your insight sir !

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

@fatconeskills go by real wattage not equivalencies. Those equivalency ratings are total BS. My best guess as to what is going on with your plants is that they are overwatered, either that or you have far too much light on those babies. Small plants don't need as much of anything as big plants, so at thins point less is more.

I was going to say the same thing about overwatering. Overwatering seems to be a pretty common problem, especially with new growers. Now I always know by the weight of the container if my plants need watering. Lift the container after watering until runoff and you will feel how heavy the container feels when it is wet compared to when it needs water. It is also easier with smaller plants if you have them in smaller containers. I usually start out my seedlings in solo cups. When I first started growing, I used to dry hump the shit out of my plants and more often than not, I would fuck them up by giving them too much attention. It takes time, but we have all been new at this. Good luck with your grow! Positive vibes...

~nugzz

OdlaFett

OdlaFett

Yeah looks like overwatering aswell plus I warned you abou the light couple days ago, seedlings dont need much one of those leds should have you coverd plenty plus you would save on electricity. Im vegging 15 something plants now with 2 t5s about about at 56watts. They doing great
20200110 075807

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Yeah looks like overwatering aswell plus I warned you abou the light couple days ago, seedlings dont need much one of those leds should have you coverd plenty plus you would save on electricity. Im vegging 15 something plants now with 2 t5s about about at 56watts. They doing great
View attachment 929321

I have some 4ft shop lights that I run over seedlings that I picked up for ~$20 a piece at Home Depot and a t5 that I have for mothers/teens. I always feel like I am running too little light in my veg space. Even now I am contemplating getting a couple more shop lights and another t5 just for when the veg space gets out of hand. It always does. Once I start growing and multiplying plants, I just can't stop lol. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

PlumberSoCal

PlumberSoCal

I have some 4ft shop lights that I run over seedlings that I picked up for ~$20 a piece at Home Depot and a t5 that I have for mothers/teens. I always feel like I am running too little light in my veg space. Even now I am contemplating getting a couple more shop lights and another t5 just for when the veg space gets out of hand. It always does. Once I start growing and multiplying plants, I just can't stop lol. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
And what's really crazy it doesn't matter how much space you got, you'll fill it. I do, can't help it. This comimg season is going to test my ability to find space for everything I want to grow. Fun times.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

And what's really crazy it doesn't matter how much space you got, you'll fill it. I do, can't help it. This comimg season is going to test my ability to find space for everything I want to grow. Fun times.

It gets really crazy because I tend to germinate 10-15 seeds of each cultivar when I can and also 5-10 different cultivars at a time when I am able. I look at them all in solo cups and I think, "it's a little crowded, but I can manage with this space". But then they all get transplanted to 1 gallon pots and reality hits lol. I have learned this lesson countless times and will probably continue to indefinitely. I believe that is probably the reason that my seed collection is giving me a little trouble with germination rates. It is trying to save me from myself lol. One season around 6 or 7 years ago, I had ~500 starts at varying stages on my porch that I was waiting to transplant to outdoor plots. I could literally see the bitches from google earth satellite images lol. Life is a fucking trip. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

growing in the space that I do has made me look at interior space differently. I analyze everything on a scale of grow ability, like oh this could fit x amount of x gallon pots.

420Andrew

420Andrew

@fatconeskills
I remember I was scared shitless after i had heard of how bad overwatering is,
anyways that's how I took it way too seriously and underwatered and killed my first 4 seedlings lol.
It can be difficult to get it right at first but that's the way you learn! Theres a lot of smart people here in the farm so keep asking questions. You're doing just fine so far (as far as first grows go in my experience) 👍
Good luck and happy growing!

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

guys, I reduced the lighting and have tried to keep everything stable. It's been a couple of days of overwatering issue. It's getting worse. please..help :( on a side note, which was bitter sweet, they have an amazing aroma already, not even 3 weeks old. What an amazing organism.

IMG 20200113 191147
IMG 20200113 191209
IMG 20200113 191230
IMG 20200113 191249
IMG 20200113 191352
Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

I know you stated this in your first post but I just want to ask for reiteration, you are in coco/perlite? What is the ratio of coco to perlite? What brand are you using? What nutrients are you using?

In coco this all matters. So far I think we have all been offering advice as if you were in soil, I want to make sure you are getting the correct advice.

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

I know you stated this in your first post but I just want to ask for reiteration, you are in coco/perlite? What is the ratio of coco to perlite? What brand are you using? What nutrients are you using?

In coco this all matters. So far I think we have all been offering advice as if you were in soil, I want to make sure you are getting the correct advice.
@Smoking Gun, firstly, thank you for taking the time to help me out. I used a decent coco peat block. After hydration, I mixed up around 30% perlite 70% coco. As for nutrients, gh trio with AN cal mag extra (5%. nitrogen taken into. consideration when dosing grow). Ive been nowhere close to recommended feedings, and. my feeds are always mixed in 1-2 liter batches distributed amongst 5. so around 250ml-350ml per plant in the larger pots, and around a cup for the small pot of the gorilla. I have so far turned off one led panel and the temps are around 71 and rh at 44%.

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

I did also notice the problem arise after I placed a layer of perlite which I can only assume made my medium retain more water, then to add they got a bit too much heat but I quickly remedied it and stabilized the conditions. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed as I really have grown attached to the little guys. The medium is slightly moist, the pots are definitely lighter, and im monitoring how dry the medium gets. Would a foiler spritz with phd water help at all ? they look dry

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Again, what brand of coco did you use? Its possible that if you didn't wash it properly before use you could be overdosing with a salt of potassium and the coco could just be sucking up the calcium and none is getting to your plants. I might consider a light foliar spray with the cal-mag extra, and that is one nutrient you could use at full strength. I have been doing my cal-mag feeding separately from my base nutrients in my coco grown plants for the last few months, I think that has proven to be of benefit to my plants; it may be something you consider doing as well.

As for the volume you are watering at make sure you are seeing some run-off from your pots; while coco does hold a considerable amount of water they also hold a ton of air so heavier waterings are not going to do damage the same way it would in soil. So don't be too afraid to water regularly.

Ultimately I think your nutrient balance is off and that is what you are seeing with your plants.

Also 71 degrees is a bit low, with led lighting you want the lights on temps to be above 77, I like to see 80 in my tent. Also you may want to get the relative humidity up to 60%. I think adjusting these parameters will also help.

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

Thank you for pointing that out. I somehow glossed over that point and was definitely advising as if he was growing in soil. My apologies @fatconeskills.

I did also notice the problem arise after I placed a layer of perlite which I can only assume made my medium retain more water, then to add they got a bit too much heat but I quickly remedied it and stabilized the conditions. I'm just feeling a bit overwhelmed as I really have grown attached to the little guys. The medium is slightly moist, the pots are definitely lighter, and im monitoring how dry the medium gets. Would a foiler spritz with phd water help at all ? they look dry
Perlite is actually used for aeration, not water retention. It is easy to see how that could be confused though. Vermiculite, on the other hand, is an additive that can be used in mediums to retain moisture. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

Thank you for pointing that out. I somehow glossed over that point and was definitely advising as if he was growing in soil. My apologies @fatconeskills.

Perlite is actually used for aeration, not water retention. It is easy to see how that could be confused though. Vermiculite, on the other hand, is an additive that can be used in mediums to retain moisture. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
no worries my man, I should've clarified. And to think with that much perlite the medium would've been dry after 2-3 days of feeding @ 250ml.

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

Again, what brand of coco did you use? Its possible that if you didn't wash it properly before use you could be overdosing with a salt of potassium and the coco could just be sucking up the calcium and none is getting to your plants. I might consider a light foliar spray with the cal-mag extra, and that is one nutrient you could use at full strength. I have been doing my cal-mag feeding separately from my base nutrients in my coco grown plants for the last few months, I think that has proven to be of benefit to my plants; it may be something you consider doing as well.

As for the volume you are watering at make sure you are seeing some run-off from your pots; while coco does hold a considerable amount of water they also hold a ton of air so heavier waterings are not going to do damage the same way it would in soil. So don't be too afraid to water regularly.

Ultimately I think your nutrient balance is off and that is what you are seeing with your plants.

Also 71 degrees is a bit low, with led lighting you want the lights on temps to be above 77, I like to see 80 in my tent. Also you may want to get the relative humidity up to 60%. I think adjusting these parameters will also help.
I will definitely incorporate the cal. mag as a foiler. Would you foiler even in this state ?

fatconeskills

fatconeskills

So the brand is called Sterling Cocopeat. Made in India, it was one of those get what I can situations out here. I will raise temps, should I switch the. larger led panel back on. ?

Top Bottom