First Grow Ever, Wish me luck!

• Thread starter 2Water
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Alright, so before the night is through, 1 last update. They were hungry/slash thirsty, pots were dry. I watered each plant about 1 liter of water mixed with 15ml coconut water and 2 tablespoons of raw honey. Literally by the time I got spraying (using a pump sprayer) I could see the color coming back. Freaking amazing! Do I sound like a proud papa? Mama even gave them a pep talk (totally serious)! Plan now will be to water every other day 1 liter per plant. Since it's mostly coco based it should help maintain being moist but not dry.
Easy there Cowboy!!!🤠😉

Water needs will change as the plant progresses. Go by the "Light Pot" method so that you don't over or underwater them.

2Water

2Water

Easy there Cowboy!!!🤠😉

Water needs will change as the plant progresses. Go by the "Light Pot" method so that you don't over or underwater them.
Yeah, I picked em up tonight, super light. I have a theory that my planting stakes are aerating the soil more. They are a hollow PVC type material, we'll see how it goes. I like to have a set game plan and adjust on the fly, that is why I used the exact measurements. I factored that 20% saturation of a 5 gallon pot, if I water every other day at 1 liter, then I will never get dry or overly wet after saturation of about 70ish% (guessing off lift test).I'm probably pulling ish out my azz, but it give me a starting point. Part of the fun is learning as we go, right?

2Water

2Water

Yeah, I picked em up tonight, super light. I have a theory that my planting stakes are aerating the soil more. They are a hollow PVC type material, we'll see how it goes. I like to have a set game plan and adjust on the fly, that is why I used the exact measurements. I factored that 20% saturation of a 5 gallon pot, if I water every other day at 1 liter, then I will never get dry or overly wet after saturation of about 70ish% (guessing off lift test).I'm probably pulling ish out my azz, but it give me a starting point. Part of the fun is learning as we go, right?
I'm sorry, I smoked probably way too much tonight. I'll probably have to correct this in the morning, lol!

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Gotcha! Lookin' Good! 👍

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I live by the pick up method for my big pots I’ve had them drink down 2 gallons in 24 hours, and other times in 24 hours it feels like the pot weight never changed And I’ll wait 48 hours or more to water I’ve tried measuring and watering on a schedule, it never works out lol

E

elusiveshame

I live by the pick up method for my big pots I’ve had them drink down 2 gallons in 24 hours, and other times in 24 hours it feels like the pot weight never changed And I’ll wait 48 hours or more to water I’ve tried measuring and watering on a schedule, it never works out lol

Same. As I'm nearing the end of flowering, my watering has changed quite a bit from just 2 weeks ago. I went from watering probably every 2 - 3 days, now I'm at every 4-6 days (and using just water now without nutrients).

C

Christos1974

Hello everyone, excited and anxious about my first attempt to grow. Figured I'd document my experience so that all of you experts and seasoned growers can lend a hand or give some tips and advice.

About the grow:

I am running a Zazzy grow 3x3 tent, Linqool 240w LED, 36w 395nm led black light, vivosun 4 inch fan and filter combo, 2 x 6 inch hurricane fans.
I'll be growing in 5 gallon fabric pots and plan to manifold these ladies. Base soil is a mix of roots organic original, coco coir, perlite, worm castings and some random Lowes soil I had hanging around.
I'm running a living/super soil using DTE 333, Rose and flower, and acid mixes. I plan to top dress with Bio-Live every 4 weeks.

I just germinated 4 x Expert seeds MAC 1 over night in coconut water and placed directly in thier forever home. I layer 1/3 of the pot with supersoil, then used a 2 liter bottle and filled in more supersoil around the sides of the pot, creating a well to put an unfertilized version of my supersoil. Temps are hovering around 74 degrees and humidity at 84%.

I know that I am probably choosing the "slower" way by not germinating in another fashion, but I would rather avoid transplanting since it is my first go around. Time isn't an issue, this is my own personal medicine, so it is all about the journey and learning. I appreciate all of the knowledge I've picked up so far lurking around the thread, and look forward to hearing feedback. Wish me luck!!!
Good luck 👍

2Water

2Water

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. This is just how my brain works. I think the girls were hungry/thirsty during to the yellowing and me only trying to go by feel, thus it dried out to much. I am trying to avoid that by guaranteeing atleast 20% saturation per week, with the understanding that the amounts can change. I just need a bearing to follow first. I'm a very analytical minded person.
I'm not discounting the advice. Far from it! Part of the reason I decided to start a journal was so I could lean on more experienced growers. I hope you guys don't feel like I'm ignoring your advice, just sharing my thinking. Thanks again everyone!

E

elusiveshame

Hi guys, thanks for the advice. This is just how my brain works. I think the girls were hungry/thirsty during to the yellowing and me only trying to go by feel, thus it dried out to much. I am trying to avoid that by guaranteeing atleast 20% saturation per week, with the understanding that the amounts can change. I just need a bearing to follow first. I'm a very analytical minded person.
I'm not discounting the advice. Far from it! Part of the reason I decided to start a journal was so I could lean on more experienced growers. I hope you guys don't feel like I'm ignoring your advice, just sharing my thinking. Thanks again everyone!
So right now you're in the seedling phase, which doesn't require tons of water. Just make sure that the soil around the plant is moist down a few inches (you don't need to soak the entire pot yet). As the plant grows, you'll want to start getting the whole pot moist to the point where water starts draining out the bottom.

Trying to determine how much you're going to saturate each week isn't useful. Plants will change their feeding habits as they grow, so you need to start learning how to read/listen to your plants. Get a feeling for a dry pot vs wet pot, or a soil tester, to determine when you should water.

Don't mess around with watering and go against the grain. Watering is by far the easiest and most important thing when it comes to growing plants, so don't botch it up.

2Water

2Water

So right now you're in the seedling phase, which doesn't require tons of water. Just make sure that the soil around the plant is moist down a few inches (you don't need to soak the entire pot yet). As the plant grows, you'll want to start getting the whole pot moist to the point where water starts draining out the bottom.

Trying to determine how much you're going to saturate each week isn't useful. Plants will change their feeding habits as they grow, so you need to start learning how to read/listen to your plants. Get a feeling for a dry pot vs wet pot, or a soil tester, to determine when you should water.

Don't mess around with watering and go against the grain. Watering is by far the easiest and most important thing when it comes to growing plants, so don't botch it up.
Thanks. I have been doing a tons of reading. From what I've read, "traditional" soil vs a coco based living soil has slightly differing watering strategies where you never want the coco to go to a full dry cycle. Maybe I read it wrong. But I fet what you're saying. I'm just not the type to not have a plan, lol. I'm the type to build an itinerary for a vacation and toss it out the window half way through the first day. Guess I'm still a victim of the "fail to plan, plan to fail" mentality 🤣

E

elusiveshame

Thanks. I have been doing a tons of reading. From what I've read, "traditional" soil vs a coco based living soil has slightly differing watering strategies where you never want the coco to go to a full dry cycle. Maybe I read it wrong. But I fet what you're saying. I'm just not the type to not have a plan, lol. I'm the type to build an itinerary for a vacation and toss it out the window half way through the first day. Guess I'm still a victim of the "fail to plan, plan to fail" mentality 🤣

Bah, I see you're growing in coco. Ignore me as I was talking about soil :P But regardless, listen to the advice from coco growers. Watering is the easiest thing to do, but also very easy to mess up.

2Water

2Water

Bah, I see you're growing in coco. Ignore me as I was talking about soil :P But regardless, listen to the advice from coco growers. Watering is the easiest thing to do, but also very easy to mess up.
Thanks, I am quickly finding that out! Honestly, for 1 week since sprouting, and a fast germination, I am surprised at how quickly they are growing! Atleast now I know what they look like when they're thirsty, so a great lesson learned!

E

elusiveshame

Thanks, I am quickly finding that out! Honestly, for 1 week since sprouting, and a fast germination, I am surprised at how quickly they are growing! Atleast now I know what they look like when they're thirsty, so a great lesson learned!
Yeah, these things grow like....weeds 😎

/Grissom out

2Water

2Water

Here some more pics. They appear to like lower humidity than vpd suggests, lowered to 55-60%RH. Temps maintaining 76F high and 69Fl low. I have been watering all 3 with half a gallon a day, plan for this coco living soil appears to like daily waterings. I also named the girls, here they are in all their glory 2 weeks from being planted in the dirt!
20221218 133931
20221218 133917
20221218 133903

2Water

2Water

2 weeks old today! Good morning fellow farmers, hope everyone is having a glorious day! Maintaining temps of 79F high to 69 low, and RH of 55% to 60%.

20221221 070759
20221221 070830

20221221 070905
20221221 070950

20221221 071111
20221221 071140

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
They grow quick! Looking good! What style of plant are you aiming for? Natural, tall, bush? Plan to top them a lot?

You’ll be shocked how fast they grow have whatever materials you think you might need ready, I can’t tell you how many store runs I made during the first 2 grows just messing with details on tent setup alone figuring out what’s best where

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
Yes that is correct, also I don’t suggest it but try to overwater your coco this is my first run in it, in a 5 gallon pail if I put in about 2 quarts of water…when I ran in soil last couple of runs I could hit them with 2 gallons of water in 36 hours and it would suck it I’ll up and if I wanted runoff I’d have to run 3 gallons of water per 5 gallon pot, with cocco it’s pouring out the bottom after the 2nd quart and it’s evenly moist through the whole bucket coco is extremely hard to overwater I manage to go between 24 hours and 36 hours between waterings currently, my mix is

Strawberry fields (2x 1.5 cu Ft bags)
About 10 cups of perlite (yes I added a ton more) but also added about 3 cups of vermiculite to hold some moisture in there

Then all my myco and dry amendments

I want the excess to run off easily but have enough water retention to do at least a 24 hour watering cycle, by that point the pots are light but no leaf droop yet, perfect watering time, next step for me if the grow continues well like it’s going I plant to work on automatic watering on the next run

One step at a time right?

Obviously still be careful with seedlings though lol

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
I actually like this statement a lot, I was the same way I basically grew by research the first run then all the advice I got along that run I factored in on the next one etc etc

Latest posts

Top Bottom