First time grower. What you guys think?

• Thread starter Rolandomota
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Well my temps in tent are 69 F and 40 Rh. And at the bottom of my tent I am sitting at 72 F and 37 RH.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

So my humidity keeps dropping in my tent. First I could not get it down. Now that i am drying it dont wanna go up. And weed starting to get a hay smell me no like.

Djones

Djones

So my humidity keeps dropping in my tent. First I could not get it down. Now that i am drying it dont wanna go up. And weed starting to get a hay smell me no like.
If your in veg, your humidity should be up over 45%, but in flower, low humidity. Get a dehumidifier. It works great.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Oh my bad I'm drying my buds I added a fan a bucket and a wet tell made my humidity go up was starting to smell like hay.
I tried drying in a refrigerator and was very happy with the results. They dried slowly and with no mold or mildew. As long as you have an auto defrost fridge that circulates air inside (99% of newer fridges fit this requirement), it works great. It keeps the humidity low enough to allow slow drying but not enough to allow mold to grow. I just cut the branches, laid them on newspapers, and stacked them 3 or 4 sheets deep on the shelves. It took about 7-12 days depending on the strain and growth, but when they come out, they are just about ready for storage. I let them dry the last day sitting outside of the fridge, as the moisture in the stems is the last to dry out and can cause problems if they aren't dried enough.
After decades of growing, I still worry about drying as it is way too easy to allow it to get either a touch of mold or to dry too quickly, smelling like hay. Drying slow breaks down the chlorophyll and the hay taste while preserving the terpene profile. I was skeptical but now it is going to be a regular part of my process... you are never too old to learn something new!

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

I tried drying in a refrigerator and was very happy with the results. They dried slowly and with no mold or mildew. As long as you have an auto defrost fridge that circulates air inside (99% of newer fridges fit this requirement), it works great. It keeps the humidity low enough to allow slow drying but not enough to allow mold to grow. I just cut the branches, laid them on newspapers, and stacked them 3 or 4 sheets deep on the shelves. It took about 7-12 days depending on the strain and growth, but when they come out, they are just about ready for storage. I let them dry the last day sitting outside of the fridge, as the moisture in the stems is the last to dry out and can cause problems if they aren't dried enough.
After decades of growing, I still worry about drying as it is way too easy to allow it to get either a touch of mold or to dry too quickly, smelling like hay. Drying slow breaks down the chlorophyll and the hay taste while preserving the terpene profile. I was skeptical but now it is going to be a regular part of my process... you are never too old to learn something new!
Really so like a fridge fridge like where one puts their grocery that's bad ass. Yeah my humidity kept dropping I was at like close to 70f and as low as 32 rh. That's when I started to notice the smell. Soon as I added a bucket with a wat towel that I ran hot water on put that in the tent with a fan on low my humidity raised. I'm sitting around 68f and 52 rh. Came to far to have my crops ruined. I'll will try what you said. Thanks for the advice.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Really so like a fridge fridge like where one puts their grocery that's bad ass. Yeah my humidity kept dropping I was at like close to 70f and as low as 32 rh. That's when I started to notice the smell. Soon as I added a bucket with a wat towel that I ran hot water on put that in the tent with a fan on low my humidity raised. I'm sitting around 68f and 52 rh. Came to far to have my crops ruined. I'll will try what you said. Thanks for the advice.
If you have an extra fridge, I would recommend using that. the cooler temps will cut down on the smell a lot, but it will return when things warm back up. Using a separate fridge will also keep your wife happy when her butter doesn't taste like hay (the taste/smell can settle on other items in the fridge, hence a separate one being the best). It also keeps your buds from tasting like onions or garlic... or limberger cheese!

Djones

Djones

Try a dehumidifier to prevent mold.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

If you have an extra fridge, I would recommend using that. the cooler temps will cut down on the smell a lot, but it will return when things warm back up. Using a separate fridge will also keep your wife happy when her butter doesn't taste like hay (the taste/smell can settle on other items in the fridge, hence a separate one being the best). It also keeps your buds from tasting like onions or garlic... or limberger cheese!
Yeah I guess I didnt think about that lmao. Yeah I'm in a apartment so no real space for another fridge. Guess I'll have to keep it old school lol. Maybe I can ask the ball and chain for one shelve.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

Try a dehumidifier to prevent mold.
A dehumidifier? I thought I wanted some humidity and some low temp for a slow dry??? I know my plants smelled better after the towel trick to raise the humidity some.

Djones

Djones

A dehumidifier? I thought I wanted some humidity and some low temp for a slow dry??? I know my plants smelled better after the towel trick to raise the humidity some.
I never have problems since I'm in Oklahoma. Usually dry here. This year we have humidity, that's why I'm using the dehumidifier.

Rolandomota

Rolandomota

I never have problems since I'm in Oklahoma. Usually dry here. This year we have humidity, that's why I'm using the dehumidifier. View attachment 932320
Yeah I got you I had bought one when I was still in flower was definitely no way enough for what I needed. I should have bought one big enough for my whole apartment. Imma have to figure something out for my next grow.

Top Bottom