Grow Room A/C

• Thread starter CannabisJohn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rollin4rese

CJ what size mini split would you suggest for a 10k air cooled set up.

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

That looks good, though the BTU recommendations I'm seeing related to mini splits appear to be lower than those for window units? 24,000 seemed pretty standard, but I'm seeing a lot of people saying 24,000 for six lights, and 18,000 for four when it comes to mini splits.

The only YMGI units I've seen are junk. That unit is only 13 seer (lowest available), and not an inverter. The warranty isn't that great either.The requirements for cooling are same IMO. If the lights aren't air cooled then 2ooo watts per ton. If they are properly air cooled then 3000 watts per ton. I've done over 50 rooms. I want your room to be cooled properly even in 100 degree weather.

Scorphound

Scorphound

I have a Gree 3ton mini split and not sure if i should get a daikin in my next room

Scorphound

Scorphound

I have a Gree 3ton mini split and not sure if i should get a daikin in my next room
I got it worked out i think the unit i have is 33600btu not 36000btu thats why i think we are not getting 3 tons out of them

bibbles

bibbles

The only YMGI units I've seen are junk. That unit is only 13 seer (lowest available), and not an inverter. The warranty isn't that great either.The requirements for cooling are same IMO. If the lights aren't air cooled then 2ooo watts per ton. If they are properly air cooled then 3000 watts per ton. I've done over 50 rooms. I want your room to be cooled properly even in 100 degree weather.
I'm in SoCal now with 4x over driven 1,000w DEs, Lumatek balasts in the room, along with a 400w Inda-gro, a 2ft 8 tube t5, a couple single 2tf tubes, and two Frigidaire 70ppd units set to "constant", and even without insulation keeping things at 75F hasn't been an issue with two 1 ton window units... though perhaps two units at opposite ends of the room works out better than a single 2 ton unit?

At any rate, I have lung room aspirations, but haven't found my next place just yet, though seeing as this is your backyard I may just hit you up when the time comes! :D

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

cannabisjohn

I installed the new 14k btu portable unit last night. I put 2x 6"x 5' R6 value duct sleeves over the ac exhaust to keep the exhaust radiant heat out of the ac area. I have the fan setting on low (low/med/high), and the temp set at 65*. I have 65* incoming air, 73-75* air coming out of my scrubber, hood #1 reads 78*, hood #2 79*-80*, hood #3 is 80**81* (all readings are taken 12" below the bulb--all are air cooled with 2x 8" 720 cfm fans), ambient underground air temps are 73-75*.

im getting a decent amount of condensation on the a/c blower duct work. I never seen this in 4 yrs with my old 8k btu. I attached (very secured with 3m hvac flex tape) a 12x4x6" duct piece to the a/c unit, then a 6" flex duct to that and secured to 1/2 of my 8" 440cfm intake fan (on speed controller). im not getting any condensation getting into my room, and no condensation on the inside of the a/c to intake fan ducting.

ill get some pics tonight during light on.

what do you make of all the condensation? is it safe or ok to keep running? if I wrap the that, the fiberglass would absorb the moisture and get compromised, right? I have a spare 5'x6" R6 insulation sleeve sitting in my spares room.

thanks CJ

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

I'm in SoCal now with 4x over driven 1,000w DEs, Lumatek balasts in the room, along with a 400w Inda-gro, a 2ft 8 tube t5, a couple single 2tf tubes, and two Frigidaire 70ppd units set to "constant", and even without insulation keeping things at 75F hasn't been an issue with two 1 ton window units... though perhaps two units at opposite ends of the room works out better than a single 2 ton unit?

At any rate, I have lung room aspirations, but haven't found my next place just yet, though seeing as this is your backyard I may just hit you up when the time comes! :D

Sounds good

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

cannabisjohn

I installed the new 14k btu portable unit last night. I put 2x 6"x 5' R6 value duct sleeves over the ac exhaust to keep the exhaust radiant heat out of the ac area. I have the fan setting on low (low/med/high), and the temp set at 65*. I have 65* incoming air, 73-75* air coming out of my scrubber, hood #1 reads 78*, hood #2 79*-80*, hood #3 is 80**81* (all readings are taken 12" below the bulb--all are air cooled with 2x 8" 720 cfm fans), ambient underground air temps are 73-75*.

im getting a decent amount of condensation on the a/c blower duct work. I never seen this in 4 yrs with my old 8k btu. I attached (very secured with 3m hvac flex tape) a 12x4x6" duct piece to the a/c unit, then a 6" flex duct to that and secured to 1/2 of my 8" 440cfm intake fan (on speed controller). im not getting any condensation getting into my room, and no condensation on the inside of the a/c to intake fan ducting.

ill get some pics tonight during light on.

what do you make of all the condensation? is it safe or ok to keep running? if I wrap the that, the fiberglass would absorb the moisture and get compromised, right? I have a spare 5'x6" R6 insulation sleeve sitting in my spares room.

thanks CJ

Condensation is probably normal but let's see some pics. If you wrap it you want it dry before you wrap it or the moisture will soak into the fiberglass.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

7pm is lights on, ill get the pics posted tomorrow am, or tonight if im able to.

now if I wrap it with the ac not on, once it turns on after a little bit (say .5hrs for shits and giggles), the condensation appears. now wouldn't that soak into the fiberglass matting or would by wrapping it (off), that would or should negate the condensation from happening? or should I just not even worry about it?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

7pm is lights on, ill get the pics posted tomorrow am, or tonight if im able to.

now if I wrap it with the ac not on, once it turns on after a little bit (say .5hrs for shits and giggles), the condensation appears. now wouldn't that soak into the fiberglass matting or would by wrapping it (off), that would or should negate the condensation from happening? or should I just not even worry about it?

If it's wrapped properly when it's dry it should not sweat any more.

Scorphound

Scorphound

Is There a way to check the output of a mini split? I have 6 Gree 33600btu neo inverter units and i am not sure that the install was done right now one of my units has a (H3) low refrigerant code. :-( .... so not sure that the other ones are running at peak performance! any advice ?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

Is There a way to check the output of a mini split? I have 6 Gree 33600btu neo inverter units and i am not sure that the install was done right now one of my units has a (H3) low refrigerant code. :-( .... so not sure that the other ones are running at peak performance! any advice ?

Check output temps at indoor unit. Make sure unit is running at full speed by lowering setpoint 8-10 degrees below room temp. That will help some but you really need a HVAC tech to check pressures and temps thru out unit.

Scorphound

Scorphound

He is coming out today to check everything... Thanks... also is Gree a good unit? I get a good deal on them.. Or should i be looking into a Daikin or LG for the next grow ?

CannabisJohn

CannabisJohn

He is coming out today to check everything... Thanks... also is Gree a good unit? I get a good deal on them.. Or should i be looking into a Daikin or LG for the next grow ?

Not super familiar with Gree. I'm a Mr Slim guy

KtidyFarms

KtidyFarms

I think your best bet is a Daikin or Mitsubishi, if your in the Portland area you can get pretty good deals at johnstone supply for the diakins.

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

CJ, here are a few pics of the condensation. for some reason my new 14k LG a/c does not have a current temp read out like my previous LG 8k a/c had.

2013 03 07 15 21 29 156

2015 05 05 20 02 57 432

2015 05 05 20 03 08 123

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

awesome thanks. it doesnt have to be a tight wrap (like an exhaust wrap on a vehicle), just wrapped and ends taped, correct?

i tell you what, theres a HUGE difference in the room temp with the new 14k a/c. i may give running my 3x600 hoods with out glass for a run and see if it makes a difference.

KtidyFarms

KtidyFarms

I know your asking CJ but I am giving you my thoughts any way, When you have an ice cold glass of water you always put a coaster under it on any nice table so the water that condenses around the glass goes on the coaster not the table leaving a water mark. Any time warm humid air hits a cold surface the water in the warm air is going to condense on the surface of the cold area. So if you don't want anymore condensation you will need to wrap the a/c cold air supply tight enough that the warm grow room air can not come into contact with the duct. If its not tight your insulation will eventually fill up with moisture.

PS. I have 25 plus years in servicing equipment that other people have fucked up. That's my main job, fixing things other techs give up on or just fuck it up more!

Top Bottom