Grow Room Electrical

• Thread starter hiboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
hiboy

hiboy

@hiboy
I was in a hurry this morning and didn't explain it 100% correctly, I do apologize. I have attached a sketch.

So, I just upgraded to a 200 amp panel which is installed on a pole about 50' away from my building. I do have a breaker box inside my building that runs off that 200 amp panel, however that breaker box has NO main breaker, just two rows of 10 spaces on each side, so enough space for 20 breakers. With no main breaker in that breaker box will that breaker panel work? If not how do you suggest I wire this building to suit my needs?

Thank you sir!

Definitely not to code
All separate dwellings must have means of disconnect (main breaker)
What size is the breaker feeding your building panel
U can install
1. Titan light control wired from building panel to run lighting (simplest way )
2. A/C breaker controlling........ u guessed it a/c
3. Multiple 20 amp breakers controlling outlets for fans, pumps etc...
Hb

G

GrowNbudz

Definitely not to code
All separate dwellings must have means of disconnect (main breaker)
What size is the breaker feeding your building panel
U can install
1. Titan light control wired from building panel to run lighting (simplest way )
2. A/C breaker controlling........ u guessed it a/c
3. Multiple 20 amp breakers controlling outlets for fans, pumps etc...
Hb
I don't have a breaker feeding the building yet, I was hoping you could give me a suggestion on the size of a breaker. I have that 200 amp panel that can feed nothing but that building so I'm open to do whatever I need to.

hiboy

hiboy

I don't have a breaker feeding the building yet, I was hoping you could give me a suggestion on the size of a breaker. I have that 200 amp panel that can feed nothing but that building so I'm open to do whatever I need to.
If there is no underground conduit installed yet I would run 1.5" minimum depending on how many turns
# 2 wire gets you 125 amp
Would probably be sufficient even if u add some lights
125 amp breaker on output and input of wire
Hb

Dan789

Dan789

Just a did a quick calc on the 1kw lights, the a/c, wag on fan light movers and exhaust loads, (all dedicated) is approx 120 amps per phase (27,896/240=116 amps)(added 2watts per square ft for general lighting =2160 watts). Hope you've got that much to spare from the initial 200 amp drop (feeding the other bldg). Any other loads not mentioned add on. This is by no means a load or service calc, this is a down and dirty educated guess at your minimum needs.

G

GrowNbudz

If there is no underground conduit installed yet I would run 1.5" minimum depending on how many turns
# 2 wire gets you 125 amp
Would probably be sufficient even if u add some lights
125 amp breaker on output and input of wire
Hb

@hiboy
It has overhead wires already ran to the building from the previous service that was there. I do believe it's at least #2 wire.

I found a Titan Helios 18 that controls up to 12 lights but it takes a 80 amp breaker. Will 125 amps still be enough with AC unit, fans, etc. Thanks.

G

GrowNbudz

Just a did a quick calc on the 1kw lights, the a/c, wag on fan light movers and exhaust loads, (all dedicated) is approx 120 amps per phase (27,896/240=116 amps)(added 2watts per square ft for general lighting =2160 watts). Hope you've got that much to spare from the initial 200 amp drop (feeding the other bldg). Any other loads not mentioned add on. This is by no means a load or service calc, this is a down and dirty educated guess at your minimum needs.

Yes sir I do have enough in that 200 amp panel. Only thing in that panel is a 20 amp breaker that runs an exterior light. The rest is going to be dedicated to the building. Thoughts?

Dan789

Dan789

My thoughts:
Initially sounds like you have available electrical capacity, next is to make sure all your loads are accounted for. Layout the area where everything (loads) will be in relation to the panel. That will tell you where your conduit runs will need to traverse. Get someone to do plans, formal load calc, submit for permit approval to your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction). When plans are approved and permit in hand, then hire someone competent for the electrical install.
Set back till it's complete, grow pot, rake in the cash; piece of cake.

If it was me, I'd do a business plan, include your costs through cure, make sure you've got those expenditures covered. (Not sure sure what your electrical rates are, but you'll be consuming plenty (time lights for off-peak rates if possible) , so you electric bills will be substantial.) (Might be a good idea for a future solar install to offset elect bill).

M

Mitygrows

Got a question does anybody have a electric car or it smart car that they are getting the PG&E Smart Card discount for I was speaking with somebody yesterday and he told me it was a 40%

fatawa

fatawa

next is to make sure all your loads are accounted for.
sooo important..specialy if u dont wanna b married 24/7 to yur grow op...you need to kno pumps locations,fans,ac,lights,and which can b circuits and which cant..i will say instead of running a bunch of 12/2,20amp circuits,30amp(single pole)10/2 wire is better..will safely run 24amps..i run 8amp(300gal pump),1000w hps(11amps) off each circuit..never no fails..lil more expensive but piece of mind is priceless

fatawa

fatawa

Def check equiptment,and desired equiptments amp pulld previously to wiring or planning of wiring....will save u much headaches down the rd

fatawa

fatawa

I shud say this too.never max out on outlets ran on circuit.like 12/2,20amp circuit can b pigtailed into 12outlets..(if yur only using normal 1.5-3amp draw from devices)so stay with around 8 outlets so u can up the draw on ea outlet overall.12/2 wire only has a 16amp max draw so try staying around 14amps when designing/drawing out circuit locations is a good rule of thumb.u dont want even the occasional flicker let alone flipping an actual breaker when running equiptment

Dan789

Dan789

I'm feeling you Fatawa, absolutely dedicated circuits for everything. Then nothing goes off unless there's a problem with it, not a whole chain of equipment that fuks up your grow.

hiboy

hiboy

@hiboy
It has overhead wires already ran to the building from the previous service that was there. I do believe it's at least #2 wire.

I found a Titan Helios 18 that controls up to 12 lights but it takes a 80 amp breaker. Will 125 amps still be enough with AC unit, fans, etc. Thanks.
12 lights is only 50 A plus a little bit for the battery so I would think at the most you would need would be a 70 you'll probably be fine with the AC
Hb

hiboy

hiboy

My thoughts:
Initially sounds like you have available electrical capacity, next is to make sure all your loads are accounted for. Layout the area where everything (loads) will be in relation to the panel. That will tell you where your conduit runs will need to traverse. Get someone to do plans, formal load calc, submit for permit approval to your AHJ (authority having jurisdiction). When plans are approved and permit in hand, then hire someone competent for the electrical install.
Set back till it's complete, grow pot, rake in the cash; piece of cake.

If it was me, I'd do a business plan, include your costs through cure, make sure you've got those expenditures covered. (Not sure sure what your electrical rates are, but you'll be consuming plenty (time lights for off-peak rates if possible) , so you electric bills will be substantial.) (Might be a good idea for a future solar install to offset elect bill).
That's pretty funny let's also get inspections ha ha Ha but I do love your knowledge
Hb

T

terrapin11

hello
i am looking to set up three 600w's.
i have been doing two for a while and would like to add a third.
in addition, i use an 8000btu window a/c unit, 6" max inline fan, a couple wall fans, dehumidifier all for flower.

we had the two 600w's spread out across a few circuits in our old house (plus T5 8 bulb for veg).

so i guess my question is:
is three 600w's feasible?
i moved out of an old house into new construction (house i am renting is less than 2 years old).
all the amps are 20 in the breaker (old house had 15).
the dryer is also using a 240v outlet. can i get an adapter and just use that to power a good chunk of the flower equipment?
while spreading the rest over other circuits in the house?

Dan789

Dan789

hello
in addition, i use an 8000btu window a/c unit, 6" max inline fan, a couple wall fans, dehumidifier all for flower.

we had the two 600w's spread out across a few circuits in our old house (plus T5 8 bulb for veg).

i moved out of an old house into new construction (house i am renting is less than 2 years old).
the dryer is also using a 240v outlet. can i get an adapter and just use that to power a good chunk of the flower equipment?
Hey terrapin11, here's where it's at. Homes have lighting, and convenience outlets broken down into 15/20'amp circuits which are distributed around the home. Ex. If it's a 2000 sq. ' home, multip the sq. footage by 3 the product is the total wattage devoted to these circuits. All of the receptacles throughout the house except for the kitchen small appliance circuits, and the laundry receptacle and microwave are on these convenience circuits. Without mapping those circuits it's hit or miss to plug in lights (especially in the same room) and expect that they aren't on the same circuit. So to try to determine where you can power these lights is something you can attempt by using a circuit tracer, or simply turn off those lighting/receptacle circuits one at a time during the day, wall around and note which receptacles are out. Mark that circuit number on them for future ref. Repeat till all the receipts have circuit numbers. Good luck, don't burn the place down.

hiboy

hiboy

hello

3 600's and an a/c plus other equipment definitely took too much for 1 circuit
So knowing that you will have to determine what is the easiest way to get more power to your grow room
You can use that 240v power for your lights
Just need to get it there
Is that simple enough to understand
Hb

G

GrowNbudz

12 lights is only 50 A plus a little bit for the battery so I would think at the most you would need would be a 70 you'll probably be fine with the AC
Hb

@hiboy

Come to find out the wires overhead to my building are to small for a 100 amp or bigger. So I now need to run #2 from my 200 amp service panel to my building. But at least I'll definitely have 200 amps at my building.

I'll have 16 lights in flower, do you recommend a Titan light controller for those?

T

terrapin11

thanks for the insight guys.
in my old set up, i dispersed the power amongst the downstairs lighting, upstairs lighting (two 600w's a/c, T5, two wall fans, dehumidifier). that worked well. took some figuring out, but we weren't popping circuits or anything (well, once we got it down that is). i think it was dispersed over 2 or 3 circuits.

i live in the country now, so there's definitely a few circuits i am not going to fuck w/ at all haha, like the boiler, well pump, pump alarm, fridge, dishwasher, etc. those are all on their own i believe.
but the rest seem like your typical convenience circuits.
i was thinking kinda do the same w/ the 3 600w's..? i mean, it's the same set up, just trying to add one additional 600w.

Latest posts

Top Bottom