Has anybody ever just used feminized seeds to grow in tent? Do you get big grows?

• Thread starter Rebeccalovato777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

I'm only growing the fem seeds at home for the sake of trying to find some exotic genetics and to try and get some that have no seeds. I have a large network to access. And the weed they grow is true quads. So it's fine when my crops don't work out. I smoke mostly distillate. So I still believe good fem seeds are to be bad. But the problem is a good quality hook up. I thought I nailed the Bubba Kush I just grabbed. But there was a small little white seed in the first crown I tried. So I am getting closer.

If I was to start a grow with no clones it would have to be regular seeds. Because I can safely say I cannot count on buying quality femenizeds seeds. But I am confident I can usually get good regular seeds to work with. But so far I'm batting a 0 on femenized. Decent this Bubba. But the little seeds ruined it. Imagine a giant warehouse of gassy nice looking Bubba and you find a few seeds. You'd be having a really bad day. Tents not such a big deal. But it's just not fun growing clones I know my buddies already grow that are already super kill. Because they already have mountains of bud ready to smoke. I'm gunna keep trying fem seeds until I nail it.

Ponky

Ponky

While this is completely true, genetics DO play a role.

I've had plants that got rot next to 4 others of different genetics that did not. In the same tent.

Some cultivars have bug control built in that others don't as well.

So I can see the point that crappy or weak genetics can create an environment that either helps or does nothing to stop bud rot.

To the point of this thread, I don't believe it is caused by the feminization process, but I have no way to prove it.
I'm leaning toward a crappy unregulated market. Where no one cares about the buyer.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

I'm so excited for my next grow all feminized photoperiods it's my first go! I have no idea what kinds of seeds I've been using 😅 because I would buy the best shake from colorado dispensaries and I find seeds alot so I'm tiered of guessing on them! This grow has mostly 32% buds and up I'm hoping they come out amazing so far my best grow yet! The bad side is I don't know the father of those seeds, so it's rough guessing!

If you are growing recreational it's less important to know what you are growing than for medical reasons. I grow for a lady who went through cancer treatment and has a lot of nausea still. She doesn't have the health or a place to grow. Pineapple Poundcake from Lucky 13 settles her down like nothing else she's tried.

I harvest early intentionally for this one hoping to make it less sleepy. This got chopped today and is sitting on a pizza pan. Regular seed. I don't know weight but feminized could easily make as much bud with the way I've grown this. Autos tend to be smaller although some grow big. I planted 2 plants in case one was male and ended with 2 females so I'll let the second plant mature.

DSC07580a

growsince79

growsince79

No. And thats not the claim. The genetically inferior seeds i have bought that are femenized hybrids are more prone to fungus than regular clones. Clones that aren't femenized. And regular indicas seem fine. But all femenized seeds I've bought end up having at least a few seeds per pound or a lot more. Where as clones never give me any issues and come from know good regular seeds. If someone has bought femenized seeds regularly and doesn't get fungus or seeds they should share with is where they got the seeds. Because the femenized seed market has been disappointing to say the least.

The theory is have as to why: a total lack of standards around the sale of femenized seeds. Or the process of creating femenized seeds causes them to be weak and susceptible. Or I simply have terrible luck buying seeds and perfect luck buying clones. The first two seem more likely.

Should I hunt around for some scientific literature that may mirror my experience. No. That's silly. Only a dullard would ask for such a thing. If someone here buys femenized seeds and never gets fungus or seeds then please. Share. If you want peer reviewed journals and papers pay for access.

Reading between the lines. Don't. There's nothing there.
I've only got store bought seeds 6 times, all but one was fem. The only thing that got rot was the reg indica plants. IME it's mostly bud size and structure that makes plants plants more prone to bud rot. Buds that grow a small gap between the main stalk and first bud sites are more resistant than buds without the tiny gap. Freakishly dense bids will still do ok as long as they have that little gap.
Dense buds without the gap are the most susceptible. Plants like that do best when pruned to make lots of small buds.

Ponky

Ponky

I've only got store bought seeds 6 times, all but one was fem. The only thing that got rot was the reg indica plants. IME it's mostly bud size and structure that makes plants plants more prone to bud rot. Buds that grow a small gap between the main stalk and first bud sites are more resistant than buds without the tiny gap. Freakishly dense bids will still do ok as long as they have that little gap.
Dense buds without the gap are the most susceptible. Plants like that do best when pruned to make lots of small buds.
I found that indicas were fine against fungus usually. But every time I buy fems they seed. And all the hybrids were prone to bud rot and powdery mildew spots. So I'm going to order a different brand and try some more. I think it's worth trying until I find a good source. The guys who do the clones seem to just stay a step ahead. And always have the new fire as soon as you hear about it. So I think my next move is just try indica exotics from brand name growers.

growsince79

growsince79

I found that indicas were fine against fungus usually. But every time I buy fems they seed. And all the hybrids were prone to bud rot and powdery mildew spots. So I'm going to order a different brand and try some more. I think it's worth trying until I find a good source. The guys who do the clones seem to just stay a step ahead. And always have the new fire as soon as you hear about it. So I think my next move is just try indica exotics from brand name growers.
Are you sure you aren't confusing the 2. Sativas generally grow much looser mold resistant plants; Indica's almost always mold in bad environments. Try growing Afghani Kush outside in Colombia, Thailand, or even Georgia. It will mold, while the native plants thrive.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

All of us want healthy genetics for bountiful harvests. Pretty much the point to doing all this and spending the time we do researching and sharing info.

Unfortunately, if you want to have a high percentage of strong females, as Moe mentioned, you need to start with good genetics. Buying seeds from reputable seed companies will increase the chances of successfully growing good genetics but, honestly, the only real way is to buy seed, grow them to the point where you can sex them. Cull the males and find the strongest of the female bunch. Separate it from the rest of the females and take as many cuts as the plant will handle. By the time the female you took cuts from recovers and regrows back to it's original size the cuts you took should be ready for flower. Take the best of the bunch grow them to flower and see how they did. Now you have superior genetics.

Regardless of what anyone tells you there is no real way to guarantee genetics. I've grown cuts from mothers that my friends will swear up and down are the best out there yet my experience wasn't as good as theirs. Again, genetics plays a foundational role in producing large dank bud but technique and skill play an almost equally important role.

Ponky

Ponky

Are you sure you aren't confusing the 2. Sativas generally grow much looser mold resistant plants; Indica's almost always mold in bad environments. Try growing Afghani Kush outside in Colombia, Thailand, or even Georgia. It will mold, while the native plants thrive.
No the kush strains and kush/haze hybrids were mold resistant. And chemdogs and Bruce banners and all the sativa hybrids would get mold. And kush clones just seem to he bullet proof.

growsince79

growsince79

No the kush strains and kush/haze hybrids were mold resistant. And chemdogs and Bruce banners and all the sativa hybrids would get mold. And kush clones just seem to he bullet proof.
My friends in Colombia have tried everything you mention. Only the pure Colombian have made it so far. You should move there and show them how to grow kush that doesn't mold outside. You'll be a billionaire in no time.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

No disrespect but I've grown all the cultivars you've mentioned without issue. How's your environment? Are you taking safety protocols like wearing clean clothes around your girls? I worked at one facility in NorCal where the owner installed a clean room sanitizer like you see in computer chip factories. You had to change into a Tyvek jumpsuit and walk through the sanitizer before you could enter the gardens. Owner took pest control seriously! 😄

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

No disrespect but I've grown all the cultivars you've mentioned without issue. How's your environment? Are you taking safety protocols like wearing clean clothes around your girls? I worked at one facility in NorCal where the owner installed a clean room sanitizer like you see in computer chip factories. You had to change into a Tyvek jumpsuit and walk through the sanitizer before you could enter the gardens. Owner took pest control seriously! 😄
Me too. I work with mushrooms too so it’s just second nature.

D0839B5B BC6C 4BFB B31E F3A6F99B05F3
6F4FDFA8 2CD8 4B3C 8FA5 27117399A8B5
C932F67E 33C7 41CB A2D3 6D4AFAAA0FB5

The ethanol based hand sanitizer does double duty and gets the weed stickies off the gloves without having to change them.

I wear a lab coat too, but again that is for the mushrooms. They are way more sensitive to external microbes than weed.

Ponky

Ponky

My friends in Colombia have tried everything you mention. Only the pure Colombian have made it so far. You should move there and show them how to grow kush that doesn't mold outside. You'll be a billionaire in no time.
My colombian friends make cocaine slurry. And they don't need help growing weed. My brown buddies are the guys to talk to about growing kush. And being a millionaire is plenty.

Ponky

Ponky

It's a flawless environment. With air filtration and ideal conditions. If we grow a large scale grow no. We let the workers wear regular clothes. We don't play pretend with hair nets and tyvek suits. If they steal they owe and we don't need to check them on the way in or out. We have cameras. Tyvek suits and boot dips don't work. It's weed not a meth cook.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Me too. I work with mushrooms too so it’s just second nature.

View attachment 1264300View attachment 1264301View attachment 1264302

The ethanol based hand sanitizer does double duty and gets the weed stickies off the gloves without having to change them.

I wear a lab coat too, but again that is for the mushrooms. They are way more sensitive to external microbes than weed.

Where are you getting your inoculants from? What media are you growing them in?

I have a buddy that grows shrooms in Phoenix. He has a couple acres and built a 40' x 40' man cave and designated a 10' x 10' room specifically for growing mushrooms. He has it completely automated with cameras everywhere. He rarely goes into the room so that he doesn't introduce anything that will disturb their bliss! 😁

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Where are you getting your inoculants from? What media are you growing them in?

I have a buddy that grows shrooms in Phoenix. He has a couple acres and built a 40' x 40' man cave and designated a 10' x 10' room specifically for growing mushrooms. He has it completely automated with cameras everywhere. He rarely goes into the room so that he doesn't introduce anything that will disturb their bliss! 😁
We probably need to take this over to the mushroom thread, but there is a guy there Southwest Mushrooms that is just friggin awesome. Phoenix must be drowning in mushies.

Like2Grow

Like2Grow

My brother-in-law grew for the first time outside and had a sprayer attachment on the hose when he watered to make sure everything got wet (including the buds). He didn't grow a second time.

Structure is important for sure. Air flow on the plants, not putting humidity where you shouldn't controlling humidity if you can, and strains chosen are all important.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

It's a flawless environment. With air filtration and ideal conditions. If we grow a large scale grow no. We let the workers wear regular clothes. We don't play pretend with hair nets and tyvek suits. If they steal they owe and we don't need to check them on the way in or out. We have cameras. Tyvek suits and boot dips don't work. It's weed not a meth cook.
Mites and other pests ride in on your clothes and will infect your gardens in no time at all. Same with mildew spores. I suggest you review your safety protocols if you want to minimize infestation.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

We probably need to take this over to the mushroom thread, but there is a guy there Southwest Mushrooms that is just friggin awesome. Phoenix must be drowning in mushies.
LOL! No worries! Just curious....

growsince79

growsince79

My colombian friends make cocaine slurry. And they don't need help growing weed. My brown buddies are the guys to talk to about growing kush. And being a millionaire is plenty.
LOL WOW, just wow.

Ponky

Ponky

Mites and other pests ride in on your clothes and will infect your gardens in no time at all. Same with mildew spores. I suggest you review your safety protocols if you want to minimize infestation.
No. I'm good. I don't get infestations and fungus problems. And I'm not going to do that for a tent in the house. That's silly. And no. Workers don't have to get changed before they work. They come dressed. They leave dressed. It's theater. I'm not gunna shave their heads either. Taking steps and precautions is called spraying. Stupid suits and thinking clean rooms work is a waste of square footage time and effort.

Latest posts

Top Bottom