Has anyone used 20-44 gal round Rubbermaid trash cans in UC?

• Thread starter Rhilo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhilo

Rhilo

I have used several different totes in diy UC systems. I am about to do a new setup at a new building, whoo hoo~ but am thinking of using 20 or 32 gallon Rubbermaid garbage containers and 3" uniseals. The commercial grade containers have flat tops and could be cut and fitted for net pot lids easily. It would seem that the round enclosure would be great for keeping the water circulating and moving. Any thoughts or past experience guys?

Rhilo

Rhilo

There will be 1k above every 2 plants and 1k vertical bare bulbs on every side ~ 18k on 12 sites double stacked verticals in middle with 6 MH & 12 HPS.
Dantherm 5 ton Environment control system AC/Heat (Dehumdification) - System designed for IT control room.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Look up 'woodsmaneh' I know he ran something similar to what you propose, he can tell you how things worked out for him.

Cort

Cort

Never done UC, but have filled a few trash cans with water.

I dont think this will end well.

Rhilo

Rhilo

And your basis for that Cort? If I wasn't already experienced with DIY UC systems, I wouldn't attempt, but I have had good runs with 18 gallon and 21 gallon totes, so I'm thinking the round big boys have to rock it.. Kinda like MPB/UC ~ I need experienced UC ers here, that's kinda why I asked this question in their section Cort ~ Dude all my projects end well. Thanks to J, & D, & all the others.. (aka Q9 and UCME NOW)

Cort

Cort

I have broken more than one trash can filled with ice, water and beer. I switched to lower profile totes and tubs.

If you feel they will hold up, especially thinking about being filled and having constant pressure for 3 months at a time, go with it.

I bow out.

Rhilo

Rhilo

Thanks for the concern Cort, and the advise TX, I did price them out today at HD, at the 20 Gal BRUTE Commercial line grey was $20 with flat lid, seems the way to go.. The only thing I can say about the non-Brute series is that they have 5" flat areas around the container simply for looks, but it might be better for the uniseals,, IF that is an issue.. IS IT???? Or would the newer bulkhead-style that CC is pushing now be great?? Hey TX,,, In a perfect world, assuming I have environment under control; A/C, De-Humidification, shit-tons of vertical bare bulbs, etc... would you go with the 32 Gallon? Have you ever seen anyone utilize that kind of space for root mass in UC or is it totally unnecessary and the 20 is PLENTY? I suspect it will hold apporox, 13-14 gallons of actual water.. I have all the big accessories to make it jive; ie: 1HP Chiller, big water pumps, big air pumps, 3/8 air lines w/ 9" discs.. Hoping to drop in 18K vertical (13 minimum) on 12 plants in this BIG undercurrent/mpb.. Ive been rocking this DIY/UC system for the past year, but with 18-21 gallon totes.. Why isnt anyone using these big round containers.. It should damn near create a vortex inside with the pvc cut at 45s.. Well, that's my great idea,, so PLEASE tell me what's wrong with it SOON, as my building will be here next Wednesday and I need to be shopping.. (like I have money to) Damn I need a harvest, lol.. Thanks all ~ Lovin You ~

ttystikk

ttystikk

I told you- look up woodsmaneh and his threads. He did it, but he sucked; only 2-3 elbows per site. Loser.

(If you can't tell this is sarcasm, with a great deal of admiration for his work, then give up now. Lol)

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
20 is plenty.....I've never seen anybody even need that much, its a trick to tax the 13 gallon setups so 20 is way over kill and should be no problem

Check out the new bulkhead fittings from UC, they are tits

ttystikk

ttystikk

20 is plenty.....I've never seen anybody even need that much, its a trick to tax the 13 gallon setups so 20 is way over kill and should be no problem
Check out the new bulkhead fittings from UC, they are tits

I'm planning to run 4 trees in a 10x10 room in 27 gallon tuff boxes, filled to about the 20 gallon mark. Too big? All of my bulkheads are 1" spin on type. Too small, even if I'm planning to use two each of inlets and outlets on tuff boxes?

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
Depending on how long you veg in place..if your up for a 4-6 week veg time in the system then maybe or if your veggin in a bubble tray setup so you have major roots goin in the 27 would work great...I was thinkin about using the 27's and cut (2) 8" holes in the lids and run two per station with a 3 to 4 week veg time....the 13's I am runnin now are full of roots pretty much but I was in the DWC veg setup for 4-6 weeks before I moved into the buckets, 10 days only veg in the buckets but the the roots were already massive goin in...

1" is kinda small, I love those 2" ones Danial has now..the 3" look massive and I don't know that it is nessecary to be that big...500gph pump minimum, 54" centers on the tubs

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm planning to veg in my tent, and transfer the young trees into the tubs only when it's time for them to flower. That's how I've done it all along and some of the plants I've done this way could easily have been big enough to be young trees. Of course, if this approach doesn't work out I will try a different tack!

Rhilo

Rhilo

Alrighty then ~ Sounds like it's a GO so far with the 20s.. Like I said, Ive been running the plastic totes; first I ran the 21 gallon sideways with 3" pvc offset,, that didnt work so well, so I switched to some by another brand that were almost perfectly square, just like the CC ones, and I did have better luck with those.. You couldn't pull the net pots out without cutting the lids b/c of root mass.. Still, I only pulled about 1/2 p per plant, but I only had 4K on 11 sites.. Now I'm going way up in the light department and doing lots of veritcals, as if this were an mpb, but it's just a big ass UC. Ive been running 950 gph GH water pumps.. Im finishing my bubble tray today for the 8" net pots.. I have the clones in 3" net pots in a bubble tray now with about 10 air stones, much like J- (aka Q9) just a smaller 6" deep 10 gallon tote.. Switching to 4x3 9" deep tray for the 8" net pots.. Im trying to copy Q9's latest run, damn that's a hard act to follow.. HOW THE HELL DOES HE GET THOSE ROOTS TO BLOW UP LIKE THAT ? Is it the IBA for rooting maybe? Gonna try calling him today, I want those roots !! HAHA And BTW Texas Kid~ Hook Em' Horns !! Houston Native Here ~ :)

Rhilo

Rhilo

I told you- look up woodsmaneh and his threads. He did it, but he sucked; only 2-3 elbows per site. Loser.

(If you can't tell this is sarcasm, with a great deal of admiration for his work, then give up now. Lol)
Iv'e been looking, that dude has alot of posts, lol.. I amybe will find it today.. I pm'd him as well.. Thanks for the input, stay close, my gardens depend on all of you, thanks everyone for all the information..

ttystikk

ttystikk

My roots went from zero to hero when I put airstones in every growing site. It's not the aeration the plants like so much; it's the fact that the airstones create bubbles, which pop at the surface and humidify the airspace beneath the net pot. This is what coaxes the roots out of the net pot.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Airstones are a must...I saw a Danner water pump the other day with air intake built in so you could get badass circulation and air bubbles combo all in one whack

That pump sounds awesome! Would it distribute the air bubbles throughout the RDWC, like a normal air pump?

This reminds me of a 'mazzei injector', basically a shaped venturi that sucks air into the water and arrests it. This could go downstream of nearly any water pump. I'm not sure the bubbles would make it from site to site, however.

K

kushtrees

I've always wondered why no DWC growers use mazzei injectors. I see a lot of green houses use em on their irrigation lines and it seems like it would work well for long areas of pipe between tubs

Rhilo

Rhilo

I've always wondered why no DWC growers use mazzei injectors. I see a lot of green houses use em on their irrigation lines and it seems like it would work well for long areas of pipe between tubs
Yo, Kushtrees, I did just check out the Mazzei air-injectors, and I see what you're saying, I bet it would work great. Commercial farmers aren't using them on their cash crops because they suck, right.. ?? I dont use drippers too often, and when I do, it's still in the bubble bucket but hmmmm, what a concept.. I did do something once that was pretty far-out though as far as supplying air to root zone, and actually have these girls in flower right now, but here's what I recently did.. : I took an 8" net pot lid, placed a small 3-4" air disc in bottom, then placed a small 3" net pot, upside down, on top of air stone thus creating this "air-pocket" area almost. It looks just like Dans new netpots, but with an active 4" air stone disc in bottom.. I'll post pics if I can find them, It rocks..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom