Has anyone used 20-44 gal round Rubbermaid trash cans in UC?

• Thread starter Rhilo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Rhilo

Rhilo

Ah-Ha ~ !! Finally found what I'm gonna use to make the bubble bucket for getting roots to penetrate the 8" now~ BABY POOL with 1" Stire-foam on top - TONS of air stones ~ Headed out - will post pics in the new Journal that I'll start for this movie!! Building is here TOMORROW !!!

ttystikk

ttystikk

Rhilo, I can't quite picture what you have in mind from your description. Can you take some pics?

Rhilo

Rhilo

just got home with a DIY "tree-grower bubble bucket starter kit"(2) small kiddie pools, (1) 4x8 sheet of 1" thick pink R50 insulation board (moisture resistant), panda film (as typically styr-foam is toxic), decent size air pump and at least a dozen 6-8" cheap stones. I'm going to start a new journal tomorrow after the building is delivered so everyone get ready for 1,000 questions, lol.. I'll snap some pics of the bubble bucket idea shortly so you can get a visual..

ttystikk

ttystikk

Kiddie pools, plural? I can't wait to see what you're up to!

J

Jalisco Kid

I would go bigger then the 20 and would look at another way of moving the water. I see a big difference in my plants from a 20 to a 36 gal. Some people here are great growers but have claimed not to grow monster trees. I must say out front I am not a fan of the UC. I would just look before I built. JK
I used the 20 gal brute and it had no problems with uniseals. If it was mine and permanent I would use marine bulkheads.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I'm gonna be running 60 gallon poly buckets from chemtainer

(http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/4559/60-gallon-rectangular-tank-r242424a)

on my next set up. Give the girls space to stretch their roots. I agree with JK about the bulkheads. They are expensive but will last forever and are way easier to get on and off/clean them when compared to a uniseal.

Can you send me a link where I can see our buy those bulkheads? I'm running 1"and I am entertaining the idea of up sizing.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Can you send me a link where I can see our buy those bulkheads? I'm running 1"and I am entertaining the idea of up sizing.
just do a search on the web for "bulkhead fittings"

J

Jalisco Kid

That tank Cap is looking at cost almost as much as my completed tanks that do not need something to block out the light or bulkheads as mine come with threaded fitting either single or double threaded. No leaks.
I used to pay about 8 bucks for 2" bulkheads. still the same price. Suerte JK

ftwendy

ftwendy

That tank Cap is looking at cost almost as much as my completed tanks that do not need something to block out the light or bulkheads as mine come with threaded fitting either single or double threaded. No leaks.
I used to pay about 8 bucks for 2" bulkheads. still the same price. Suerte JK

Sweet! Where can we find your containers?

Rhilo

Rhilo

I'm sorry to say this may be a more lengthy process that I had originally anticipated. The electrical service is about 100A shy of what I need, lol.. I am in process of upgrading. I may have to end up with a 400A service. I have to consider the land owner's requirements for a 3000sq. ft. home, well water pump system, then my 140-160A.... So, I am on the line of maxing the hell out of a 200A service and that's cheating some, or biting the bullet for a 400A on concrete slab. The only saving grace, is the power rates on certain plans in my area allow for .04KWHs most of the day. Lovin You APS ~ FUCK YOU PG&E !!! (sorry but I'm probably saving 25,000 a year now).. New Journal tomorrow guys, we're gonna blow the fucking roof off down here in Northern Arizona with a MPB/UC and yes, I know what I'm saying.. I've earned my stripes with DIY UC and I'm gonna ROCK this one guys.. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU AND YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!! Grab a couch, a six pack, favorite glassware, this one's gonna get good.. And BTW DS aka Q9 aka 3 aka Justin; this one's in your honor. You and your posts and information that you shared helped me make all of this possible. You helped me provide medicine that I would have never imagined I could.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I'm gonna be running 60 gallon poly buckets from chemtainer

(http://www.plastic-mart.com/product/4559/60-gallon-rectangular-tank-r242424a)

on my next set up. Give the girls space to stretch their roots. I agree with JK about the bulkheads. They are expensive but will last forever and are way easier to get on and off/clean them when compared to a uniseal.

Those 60 gal tanks cost over $150!! From what I read they are just polyethylene, anyone can get polyethylene buckets online or at a hardware store for at least a quarter of the price of those containers.

Is there something I missed that makes it worth so much??

ttystikk

ttystikk

Gotta spend the money on the heavy duty action, you talkin about almost 600lbs in water per 60 gallon site

At exactly 8lbs per gallon, 60 gallons of water will weigh 480lbs. The extra two lbs per gallon does a good job of estimating the weight of the container plus a safety factor.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Gotta spend the money on the heavy duty action, you talkin about almost 600lbs in water per 60 gallon site

Gotcha, the cheap buckets ain't made to hold weight like that. Water weigh's close to 70 lbs. per sq.ft., don't know why I didn't think about that before :bag:

ttystikk

ttystikk

Gotcha, the cheap buckets ain't made to hold weight like that. Water weigh's close to 70 lbs. per sq.ft., don't know why I didn't think about that before :bag:

It just takes one leeeettle teeeny tiny crack- and the memories will last a lifetime!

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

^^^I said 70 lbs. per sq.ft., its actually 62 lbs. per sq.ft. and 8.34 lbs. per gal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom