Help!!! First time grower !!!! Please…

• Thread starter TurboHoney
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GNick55

GNick55

Staff
Supporter
you were in a 3 gallon bag, and you were able to take it out easily?
those roots for that size plant should of been all stuck in the sides of the fabric as they would of air pruned, that’s what i wanted to see.. if they weren’t your issue was what i said earlier.
i’m not sugar coating anything but the plant is doomed, if it stays alive your just going to have more issues in flowering and your yield/quality ain’t worth it.
start more now as your trying to get this one to bounce back.,
start your grow with the farm as you see lots of growers here are willing to help out and want you to be successful!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

@ComfortablyNumb my thinking is the un even watering created hydrophobic areas of the media. So you have wet and dry spots. Where those areas meet you will have very concentrated hot spots if nutrients buring the roots. The roots will also not grow into the dry spots. So poking the holes will help remedy the issue by hopefully letting water saturate and dissolve these hot spots in to the media water creating a more balanced salinity. Salinity has a large effect on a roots ability to uptake water.

The day night temps of 70-75 slow the need for the plant to cool itself while not slowing uptake to much at night.

The humidity at 65% reduces the transpiration demand on the roots.

The reduction of light reduces transpirational demand on the roots, nutrient demand for photosynthesis and over demand on growth.

If I had to guess the root structure will be very spindly and under developed

My post was pretty much how to reduce as much stress on the plant as possible to give it a chance of recovery while correcting any issues.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

A couple other questions pop into my mind to prevent this from happening again.

1. Do you have air exchange?

Tiny plants don't use much co2 but as they get bigger they eat it up quickly and a small tent can be depleted basically stopping all processes.

2. Did you spray the plant or roots with anything other than nutrients?

Can lead to plants stopping photosynthesis, closing stomata and or transpiration in an attempt at self preservation.

3. Have you used any household cleaners in the room such as windex or other?

Many of these are toxic to plants and mistakenly can be sucked into the tent. In my fishkeeping years I can't count how many time I have seen dead fish from this simple mistake of ppl cleaning the glass with household cleaners and the same applies to plants.

plantlover84

plantlover84

Hey! It looks like a watering problem to me, hard to tell if it's underwatered or overwatered from the pic as both show the same symptoms. So, if you're not sure if you overwatered it, do this quick check: Grab a wooden chopstick or similar item, and push it into the soil. If it comes out damp with soil stuck to it, the soil at the bottom of the pot is still wet and needs more time to dry. Think of this as similar to checking if a cake s fully baked, if the toothpick comes out with batter on it it needs more time in the oven. Now, if the chopstick does come out dirty, when did you last water? If it was more than 4-5 days ago, your plant may be experiencing root rot. This is because the soil has been too soggy for too long, and bad fungi is growing in the soil, causing root rot. If that's the case I would suggest repotting into chunkier soil that drains faster so this does not reoccur. Here is some more info on root rot/ how to fix (It also covers soil grows not just hydro): https://www.grobo.io/blogs/growing/what-is-root-rot-and-how-to-solve-in-a-hydroponic-set-up

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey! It looks like a watering problem to me, hard to tell if it's underwatered or overwatered from the pic as both show the same symptoms. So, if you're not sure if you overwatered it, do this quick check: Grab a wooden chopstick or similar item, and push it into the soil. If it comes out damp with soil stuck to it, the soil at the bottom of the pot is still wet and needs more time to dry. Think of this as similar to checking if a cake s fully baked, if the toothpick comes out with batter on it it needs more time in the oven. Now, if the chopstick does come out dirty, when did you last water? If it was more than 4-5 days ago, your plant may be experiencing root rot. This is because the soil has been too soggy for too long, and bad fungi is growing in the soil, causing root rot. If that's the case I would suggest repotting into chunkier soil that drains faster so this does not reoccur. Here is some more info on root rot/ how to fix (It also covers soil grows not just hydro): https://www.grobo.io/blogs/growing/what-is-root-rot-and-how-to-solve-in-a-hydroponic-set-up
2 cups of water ever 4-5 days... not over watering.

AmokNewb

AmokNewb

Was there ever any answer to PH levels? Or is that not an issue with this soil and nutrient type? I feel it has been one of the top 3 factors to look at when diagnosing issues for my grow. Trying to help and trying to learn at the same time! 😜

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Was there ever any answer to PH levels? Or is that not an issue with this soil and nutrient type? I feel it has been one of the top 3 factors to look at when diagnosing issues for my grow. Trying to help and trying to learn at the same time! 😜
Idk I haven't had answers to any of my questions so just gonna leave it.

TurboHoney

TurboHoney

A couple other questions pop into my mind to prevent this from happening again.

1. Do you have air exchange?

Tiny plants don't use much co2 but as they get bigger they eat it up quickly and a small tent can be depleted basically stopping all processes.

2. Did you spray the plant or roots with anything other than nutrients?

Can lead to plants stopping photosynthesis, closing stomata and or transpiration in an attempt at self preservation.

3. Have you used any household cleaners in the room such as windex or other?

Many of these are toxic to plants and mistakenly can be sucked into the tent. In my fishkeeping years I can't count how many time I have seen dead fish from this simple mistake of ppl cleaning the glass with household cleaners and the same applies to plants.
Yes I do have air exchange only stuff spayed on plant was nutrients and just water no I haven’t used anything close to the grow area when it comes to cleaners

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Nah nah... You haven't fixed it yet. LOL
As much as I hate losing a plant, at least I can learn something from it. I'm on this thread because I want to know why this plant is being stubborn.

Top Bottom