Homesteader's DIY indoor living soil grow

• Thread starter Homesteader
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Homesteader

Homesteader

Hello farmers

My name is Sean but feel free to call me whatever you like. I live and grow up on a small farm in the great state of Maine. We raise mostly rabbit, kids (of human type) and chicken but I also grow a lot of fruit trees and vegetables as well. Nothing for market. Not into it for some reason. I think I would consider myself a chicken farmer and orchardist by trade but I do a lot of everything so maybe I wouldn’t. With chickens I raise meat birds and layers and with rabbits we do all dual purpose meat and pelts…Feel free to ask any questions on either though. Rabbit farming is great work. I love them and care a lot about my rabbitry crew. I have great mothers and some cool bucks. I love farming in general so feel free to ask anything about it. So anyways back to growing.

My soil mix lately starts with raking leaves. I fill up my pots (30-45 gallon) to the brim with all sorts of leaves in the fall. Oak, maple, beech make up most of it but small sticks are there as well. I then cover those leaves with my soil mix. The leaves crush down and eventually line with a couple inches at the bottoms of the bags. This provides a nutrient sink for later in the grow as well as some air flow for the bottom of the grow bag. I won't really go over what I do to make soil here, but my base is peat/coco/sand and rice hull and most of my fertilizer comes from soybean meal but also bone char and gypsum.

To each their own. I don’t really worry about bugs because I can kill most of them fairly easily. Thrips and mites are a bit common but I plan on treating my plants with soap/water and vege oil, about every two weeks for the first couple months while in veg. I find it helps to defoliate a lot of the lower branches and fans where they are living prior to spraying any soapy water. It is super important if you do this method to rinse the plant in warm water after to get the soap off the leaves. You only need it on there for about ten minutes but you don’t want the soap or oil to clog up your stomata.

Watering…….I use a 3 gallon Husqvarna sprayer for mostly everything. I don’t like my soil to dry out much until later in flower so I typically spray the soil down any time I see it drying out until later in flower. This also cuts down on dust in the room and avoids leaking bags.

Seedlings are started in coco (End of Jan) and eventually are put in one gallon bags of my soil mix. Later I will cut the bottoms of these bags and let them grow into bigger pots but Ill talk about it more when I get there. For now they wait and grow.
IMG_20220129_094541.jpg

IMG_20220205_163803 (1).jpg

I was replacing the siding this past fall and had to take off my outdoor fuse box for my AC unit. When I opened it I could see that a mouse had chewed the 220v wire straight down to the copper and fried himself. Wish I took a photo! Nothing left but burned fur and bones, mouth still on the wire. So long story short, I still need to fix the wire (luckily I ran extra and just need to feed it out) and therefore I have no AC until I do. No worries though….it is -4 fahrenheit outside.

My grow room has two rooms. The smaller one being the veg and seedling area. I have been pretty happy with this setup although always looking to improve it. The flower room needs one more light to be complete but it is fine for now. I am flowering several original Amnesia under a scrog in there now but the room is only about 1/3 full right now and I want to change that soon. The strain itself isn't anything to write home about but I like the stone and the smells. It think its about 3 weeks into flower.

Homesteaders diy indoor living soil grow 3
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Forgot to mention the strains I am going to be growing for 2022.

Original Amnesia
Amnesia Haze
Sour Diesel
Critical Kush
Banana Kush
and a Hindu Kush cross

Landraces this year.
Going short with only four.
2x Nagaland (India) jungle sativa cultivar
2x Tora Bora (afghan cultivars)

P

Petrochemical

Supporter
Hello farmers

My name is Sean but feel free to call me whatever you like. I live and grow up on a small farm in the great state of Maine. We raise mostly rabbit, kids (of human type) and chicken but I also grow a lot of fruit trees and vegetables as well. Nothing for market. Not into it for some reason. I think I would consider myself a chicken farmer and orchardist by trade but I do a lot of everything so maybe I wouldn’t. With chickens I raise meat birds and layers and with rabbits we do all dual purpose meat and pelts…Feel free to ask any questions on either though. Rabbit farming is great work. I love them and care a lot about my rabbitry crew. I have great mothers and some cool bucks. I love farming in general so feel free to ask anything about it. So anyways back to growing.

My soil mix lately starts with raking leaves. I fill up my pots (30-45 gallon) to the brim with all sorts of leaves in the fall. Oak, maple, beech make up most of it but small sticks are there as well. I then cover those leaves with my soil mix. The leaves crush down and eventually line with a couple inches at the bottoms of the bags. This provides a nutrient sink for later in the grow as well as some air flow for the bottom of the grow bag. I won't really go over what I do to make soil here, but my base is peat/coco/sand and rice hull and most of my fertilizer comes from soybean meal but also bone char and gypsum.

To each their own. I don’t really worry about bugs because I can kill most of them fairly easily. Thrips and mites are a bit common but I plan on treating my plants with soap/water and vege oil, about every two weeks for the first couple months while in veg. I find it helps to defoliate a lot of the lower branches and fans where they are living prior to spraying any soapy water. It is super important if you do this method to rinse the plant in warm water after to get the soap off the leaves. You only need it on there for about ten minutes but you don’t want the soap or oil to clog up your stomata.

Watering…….I use a 3 gallon Husqvarna sprayer for mostly everything. I don’t like my soil to dry out much until later in flower so I typically spray the soil down any time I see it drying out until later in flower. This also cuts down on dust in the room and avoids leaking bags.

Seedlings are started in coco (End of Jan) and eventually are put in one gallon bags of my soil mix. Later I will cut the bottoms of these bags and let them grow into bigger pots but Ill talk about it more when I get there. For now they wait and grow.View attachment 1214236
View attachment 1214237
I was replacing the siding this past fall and had to take off my outdoor fuse box for my AC unit. When I opened it I could see that a mouse had chewed the 220v wire straight down to the copper and fried himself. Wish I took a photo! Nothing left but burned fur and bones, mouth still on the wire. So long story short, I still need to fix the wire (luckily I ran extra and just need to feed it out) and therefore I have no AC until I do. No worries though….it is -4 fahrenheit outside.

My grow room has two rooms. The smaller one being the veg and seedling area. I have been pretty happy with this setup although always looking to improve it. The flower room needs one more light to be complete but it is fine for now. I am flowering several original Amnesia under a scrog in there now but the room is only about 1/3 full right now and I want to change that soon. The strain itself isn't anything to write home about but I like the stone and the smells. It think its about 3 weeks into flower.
She's wondering if rabbit ears are available,

20220204 150307

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Nice to see some landrace varieties in the mix! As a person born and raised in the city I've always wanted to be a farmer hahaha. I'm going into season 2 with my backyard orchard and raised egg layers and meat birds briefly when I was younger but unfortunately slaughtering chickens is illegal in the city. Its real stupid since they have tons of meat processing plants here too but what can you do, Im just happy to have my small slice of heaven. This will be nice to follow along your grow!

Homesteader

Homesteader

The Nagaland variety has me most curious for this year. Seems to be a large genetic pool in there that has a lot of unique sativa characteristics. I haven't decided on when or how I am going to grow those this year. Not sure Ill be able to get one to finish in Maine even with the greenhouse so I may start them in the fall and flower them over the winter.

Just sharing a photo of the the broad leaf on the sour diesel seedling. Nothing else really going on in my grow besides getting all the onion seeds planted. Well maybe not all of them but one variety.

IMG 20220207 060109
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

The original amnesia is flowering up, probably at about five weeks but I didn't really keep track when it started to flower. I didn't take any clones off of this but it seems like a decent strain for someone. Two phenos that I saw but both were similar. I transplanted the diesel, kush and amnesia haze from the one gallon into their 45 gallons bags and threw in some radish and dill seeds with them to fill the soil pace. I fill them initially about 2/3 the way full and will add soil mix to it as the plant grows in about a month.

My grafted trees started to take. I have a few rootstocks that I have in here that I've been growing out this winter to take cutting off. Three to be exact. Standard, M111 and dwarf. This graft is of a pear rootstock with a grafted Shipova (hornbeam/pear cross) but it grows wicked slow and wont fruit for 10-20 years. Much slower than most apple and pear.

IMG 20220212 134304
IMG 20220212 124713
Homesteader

Homesteader

Seems to be an interesting study. I wish the photos were a little larger but if anyone is interested this seems to have some interesting findings on deficiencies using hemp......I have tried to get the university to do dry leaf weight analysis but because they take federal money they wont.

Characterization of Nutrient Disorders of Cannabis sativa​

Last edited:
bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Seems to be an interesting study. I wish the photos were a little larger but if anyone is interested this seems to have some interesting findings on deficiencies using hemp......I have tried to get the university to do dry leaf weight analysis but because they take federal money they wont.

Characterization of Nutrient Disorders of Cannabis sativa​

Very interesting read, thank you for sharing! Two things I took away from this study was calcium deficiency doesnt look how I would have expected, and molybdenum doesnt show a deficiency visually. Ive read molybdenum is very important in terpene production and noticed many base fertilizers dont include it. Ive seen very few flowering supplements with high levels of molybdenum and always wondered why some nutrients include it but others dont include it at all.

Homesteader

Homesteader

Molbedenum is considered a heavy metal and one that is probably regulated by EPA so it may be more expensive to add to a nutrient line...(could be wrong on the reason). I also think it mostly involved with nitrogen production in soybean root nodules but other plants can use it to help process Nitrogen to the plant. I hadn't heard about improved terpenes from it but I wouldn't be surprised.

bigbagofbuds

bigbagofbuds

Molbedenum is considered a heavy metal and one that is probably regulated by EPA so it may be more expensive to add to a nutrient line...(could be wrong on the reason). I also think it mostly involved with nitrogen production in soybean root nodules but other plants can use it to help process Nitrogen to the plant. I hadn't heard about improved terpenes from it but I wouldn't be surprised.
Good point, I have no sources for the terpene statement, I cant recall where I saw it. But you are right that searches bring up its use for making nitrogen more available which seems like it would go against terpene production. Ive seen it in Green Plant Rezin and General Organics BioBud so I must have assumed it was for terpenes but that sounds wrong based on the science.

Homesteader

Homesteader

I moved the diesels, amnesia haze, banana kush and mintz in under the netting. I wont be running all three lights for at least a few weeks and will probably will just stick to the one in the center and flip both on when I want to. The electricity bills here are spiking and Im not in any huge rush. Ill probably use up the rest of the CO2 on this run once the plants are about to flip and I am using the rest of the lights but for now the center light is probably good. I angle both the side lights to about 10 or 20 degrees and if I wanted to I could try to mimic the sun but I have done that yet. It would be nice to have both the side lights on timers so I could jump between the two, Maybe next run Ill try it with a few old timers I got linked to the digital timer.

The Amnesias ended up showing all seperate phenos but one was much better than the other two and I really wanted to try to get it to reveg so I cut it early. The last time I ran amnesia the roots rotted before reveg took place so I didn't want to risk it again. The smoke isnt badbut I didn't want to risk letting the plant die without getting cuttings this time and I don't really need the smoke as much as the cutting. This is a picture of one of the lesser phenos. Kinda lame but it had a few nice looking flowers. It still is decent just lacked the density the other did and height and health. They are finishing in the other room and Ill let them die on the vine in there.

IMG 20220225 100421 1
IMG 20220225 074143
Homesteader

Homesteader

I started four seeds last night for my first annual outdoor food seed selectors collection. Going to grow these monsters in hopes of keeping and starting an IBL that is selected for the size of the seed. Johaar is a valley in Northeastern India also called the Gori Ganga river valley in Uttarakhand near the city of Pithoragarh and the plants grow very large as do the seeds. I started four but have a half dozen others that I can go with as well, but like to separate the germination in case I screw em up. I may not need more than four anyhow, I really only want two nice females and a male.

Johaar​

Description
Genetics: Multipurpose Himalayan Domesticate (“Landrace”)
Sourcing: The Real Seed Company, Northeastern Kumaon, 2017 Harvest
Purpose: Charas (hand-rubbed), seeds, fibre
Latitude: 29° N
Regional Harvest: October to first week November
Height: 3 – 6 metres
Aroma: Citrus, floral, ‘hash’
Characteristics: Vigorous, hardy, long internodes, resinous, euphoric high, CBD
Classification: C. sativa subsp. indica var. himalayensis x C. sativa subsp. indica var. indica
Grow type: Outdoors or greenhouse
https://therealseedcompany.com/product/johaar-kumaon-himalayan-landrace-strain-cannabis-seeds/

Kumaon Garhwal
IMG 20220225 194248
IMG 20220225 201758
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Seeds at 12 hours and 24 hours.
3 of the 4 are as vigorous as they come I would say.

Planted them in small cups for now and threw the one that didn't pop in along with one the did but like I said before, I really only need three so we will wait and see now

IMG 20220226 135539
IMG 20220227 070229
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

All three pushed through the soil today one was actually out of the dirt this morning. Some of the most vigorous cannabis seedlings I've ever seen. These are going to be given almost full sun this year. I am planning on using T stakes and ripped two by fours to build a frame at 4 ft high to keep these plants on a plane so I can maximize seed production and be able to reach the flower. Im not describing it well but Ill essentially throw a hog fence on each after I train them to grow flat. If all works out I should have about a 16 foot table of growth by flowering time this fall and 20000 seeds.

IMG 20220228 163453
Last edited:
Homesteader

Homesteader

Seedling looks like Donald Trump to me. The ugly lesser sister of amnesia is coming along I guess. The other pheno is fading faster but had very little girth in the buds. This on was kind a medium between the two. Still no reveg but I'm hopeful

IMG 20220301 105113
IMG 20220301 104810
Homesteader

Homesteader

Started a few of the Ukhrul Nagaland seeds. Was going to wait until the fall but decided to do a few of these outdoors in the greenhouse. The seeds germinated in the paper towel after a few days but they have broken the dirt I put them in yet. The photo is of the Johhar at a few days already from popping through the soil.

Description​

Genetics: Naga Manipuri Domesticate (“Landrace”)
Sourcing: The Real Seed Company, Ukhrul, Manipur, Northeast India, 2020
Purpose: Ganja (seedless or lightly seeded buds)
Latitude: 25° N
Regional Harvest: December to January
Height: 2 – 5 metres
Characteristics: Intense aromas, mango, cherry, Sativa-type architecture, purple variants, energising
Classification: C. sativa subsp. indica var. himalayensis x C. sativa subsp. indica var. indica
Grow Type: Greenhouse or outdoors
https://therealseedcompany.com/product/ukhrul-landrace-strain-cannabis-seeds/

IMG 20220302 181432
Top Bottom