how much are dispensaries paying for a pound?

• Thread starter danko
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What're you talkin' about? This horse is still twitchin'! :p
are the prices for patients at these dispensaries going down in socal as well or are they just taking advantage of the growers?
Fuck no, they're not going down! $60 eighths? WTF?
People who tumble buds before selling them to uninformed buyers should feel ashamed of themselves. That's straight up stealing.

I'd love to hear a unethical vendor tell me they tumble, they would get quite the earful.
Im afraid that this practice is widespread in LA area ,and considered a secret. I Scope my medicine before I use it and many meds are missing trichrome heads, along the main stem and on the outside of buds. And some meds too fresh to be from handling. I've actually just about given up going to dispensaries.
I thought it was standard operating practice for these clubs to keif all buds before they're offered for sale.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
the 90 dollar ozs is just my point, its like comparing peels to stella or samuel adams. or select to prime in steaks. the guy selling Kobe steaks is not worried about the price of beef so much unless the quality of the select is comparable to prime.

G

greendarknight

the 90 dollar ozs is just my point, its like comparing peels to stella or samuel adams. or select to prime in steaks. the guy selling Kobe steaks is not worried about the price of beef so much unless the quality of the select is comparable to prime.
I totally agree with you in terms of a regular commodity where the free market decides, it does matter in this particular industry because the way retail distribution has been setup in gray markets and regular principles don't always apply.
Since the industry is still in its infant stages, even in California, a lot of the market still doesn't know what good bud really is, so when some dispensary is selling $90 ounces of outdoor schwag or a scumbag dispensary is tumbling their bud, we (the producers), with little or no protection end up getting bent over. Cheap D grade bud puts price pressure on A grade bud, especially when there is a lot of competition.

MrBelvedere

MrBelvedere

I totally agree with you in terms of a regular commodity where the free market decides, it does matter in this particular industry because the way retail distribution has been setup in gray markets and regular principles don't always apply.
Since the industry is still in its infant stages, even in California, a lot of the market still doesn't know what good bud really is, so when some dispensary is selling $90 ounces of outdoor schwag or a scumbag dispensary is tumbling their bud, we (the producers), with little or no protection end up getting bent over. Cheap D grade bud puts price pressure on A grade bud, especially when there is a lot of competition.

In 1965, Napa Valley icon Robert Mondavi broke away from his family's Charles Krug estate to found his own in Oakville, California. It was the first new large-scale winery to be established in the valley since before prohibition. Following the establishment of the Mondavi estate, the number of wineries in the valley continued to grow, as did the region's reputation.

Some California wine makers began to produce quality wines but still had difficulty marketing them. Frank Schoonmaker, a prominent journalist and wine writer of the 1950s and 1960s introduced the German idea of labeling wines using varietal (Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Riesling) rather than semi-generic names borrowed from famous European regions (Burgundy, Chablis, Rhine, etc.). Robert Mondavi was one of the first to label the majority of his wines by varietal names and was tireless in promoting the practice.

By the late 1960s and early 1970s, the quality of some vintners' wines was outstanding but few took notice. On May 24, 1976, a blind tasting was held in Paris with a panel made up exclusively of French wine experts. After comparing six California Chardonnays with four French Chardonnays, three of the top four were Californian. Six of the nine judges ranked Chateau Montelena the highest; Chalone Vineyard came in third and Spring Mountain Vineyard fourth. When reds were evaluated, Stag's Leap Wine Cellars was ranked number one. This competition, now known as the "Judgement of Paris", focused a great deal of attention on wines from the Napa Valley.

The red wines evaluated in 1976 were retasted in two separate blind tastings (the French Culinary Institute Wine Tasting of 1986 and the Wine Spectator Wine Tasting of 1986) and also in The Wine Rematch of the Century. In all retastings, a California red was chosen first, while the French wines lost positions in the rankings.

In Oz Clarke's New encyclopedia of Wine, Mr. Clarke writes that California "was the catalyst and then the locomotive for change that finally prised open the ancient European wineland's rigid grip on the hierarchy of quality wine and led the way in proving that there are hundreds if not thousands of places around the world where good to great wine can be made." He observes that "until the exploits of California's modern pioneers of the 1960s and '70's, no-one had ever before challenged the right of Europe's, and in particular, France's vineyards, to be regarded as the only source of great wine in the world."

Fred Franzia and his Bronco Wine Company has caused recent waves in the business of California wine marketing. The company's low priced Charles Shaw wine which is sold exclusively by Trader Joe's markets along with the company's other labels have attracted new entry level wine consumers to the fold but also has alienated many of the smaller vintners in the state by placing some downward pressure on pricing.

Newer regions, producing award-winning wines, have entered the California wine industry, including Temecula Valley wine country in the south, the Santa Ynez valley in the central coast, and in the Red Hills Lake County in the north.

In the early 21st century, vintners have begun reviving heirloom grape varieties, such as Trousseau Gris and Valdiguié.[11]

You can substitute France for Mexican brown frown. It took 20(?) years for this market to develop...

Last edited:
G

greendarknight

In 1965, Napa Valley icon Robert Mondavi broke away from his family's Charles Krug estate to found his own in Oakville, California. It was the first new large-scale winery to be established in the valley since before prohibition. Following the establishment of the Mondavi estate, the number of wineries in the valley continued to grow, as did the region's reputation.

Some California wine makers began to produce quality wines but still had difficulty marketing them. Frank Schoonmaker, a prominent journalist and wine writer of the 1950s and 1960s introduced the German idea of labeling wines using varietal (Pinot noir, Chardonnay, Riesling) rather than semi-generic names borrowed from famous European regions (Burgundy, Chablis, Rhine, etc.). Robert Mondavi was one of the first to label the majority of his wines by varietal names and was tireless in promoting the practice.

By the late 1960s and early 1970s, the quality of some vintners' wines was outstanding but few took notice. On May 24, 1976, a blind tasting was held in Paris with a panel made up exclusively of French wine experts. After comparing six California Chardonnays with four French Chardonnays, three of the top four were Californian. Six of the nine judges ranked Chateau Montelena the highest; Chalone Vineyard came in third and Spring Mountain Vineyard fourth. When reds were evaluated, Stag's Leap Wine Cellars was ranked number one. This competition, now known as the "Judgement of Paris", focused a great deal of attention on wines from the Napa Valley.

The red wines evaluated in 1976 were retasted in two separate blind tastings (the French Culinary Institute Wine Tasting of 1986 and the Wine Spectator Wine Tasting of 1986) and also in The Wine Rematch of the Century. In all retastings, a California red was chosen first, while the French wines lost positions in the rankings.

In Oz Clarke's New encyclopedia of Wine, Mr. Clarke writes that California "was the catalyst and then the locomotive for change that finally prised open the ancient European wineland's rigid grip on the hierarchy of quality wine and led the way in proving that there are hundreds if not thousands of places around the world where good to great wine can be made." He observes that "until the exploits of California's modern pioneers of the 1960s and '70's, no-one had ever before challenged the right of Europe's, and in particular, France's vineyards, to be regarded as the only source of great wine in the world."

Fred Franzia and his Bronco Wine Company has caused recent waves in the business of California wine marketing. The company's low priced Charles Shaw wine which is sold exclusively by Trader Joe's markets along with the company's other labels have attracted new entry level wine consumers to the fold but also has alienated many of the smaller vintners in the state by placing some downward pressure on pricing.

Newer regions, producing award-winning wines, have entered the California wine industry, including Temecula Valley wine country in the south, the Santa Ynez valley in the central coast, and in the Red Hills Lake County in the north.

In the early 21st century, vintners have begun reviving heirloom grape varieties, such as Trousseau Gris and Valdiguié.[11]

You can substitute France for Mexican brown frown.

Exactly. History repeats itself. Obviously some different things in our scene going on, but you will see there be a sharp division of connoisseur growers vs. cash croppers.

I believe in always being in the top end of the market, quality-wise. Stops you from just being a commodity, gives people a reason to buy yours for the most money, with the least amount of hassles.

Muckman420

Muckman420

You can substitute France for Mexican brown frown. It took 20(?) years for this market to develop...
Tell that story to the boys up in mendo. Lmao my pop used to grow some 20 foot monsters in van nuys back in the day

Muckman420

Muckman420

Sorry now I got confused :)
Lmfao! I have heard too many people say all the dank is grown only in humboldt, my dad has pictures from the late 70s to mid 80s of huge ass plants. My ma also told me a story about how this one "type" as she put it, he grew that would drip resin all over it was so sticky. But until he retires all I hear are stories, he'll be home soon and I'll show ya pics of what I meant.

He grew outdoor in the San fernando valley

Shamus

Shamus

Exactly. History repeats itself. Obviously some different things in our scene going on, but you will see there be a sharp division of connoisseur growers vs. cash croppers.

I believe in always being in the top end of the market, quality-wise. Stops you from just being a commodity, gives people a reason to buy yours for the most money, with the least amount of hassles.

Good buds will always find a market.:D

For a few examples

ccWTF

ccWTF

I think the prices are right where they should be. That keeps the criminal element (drug dealers) and black market out of the weed business.
Last time i was in Cali I gladly paid $60 for an 1/8. And it was a 99% legal transaction.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I think the prices are right where they should be. That keeps the criminal element (drug dealers) and black market out of the weed business.
Last time i was in Cali I gladly paid $60 for an 1/8. And it was a 99% legal transaction.
There wouldn't be a place for you to buy weed if it wasnt for these drug dealers you speak of...does a 99% legal transaction make you feel good about yourself? Maybe a little bit safe? Well guess what the guys you bought it off were at one time "drug dealers" too. Drug dealers that never got fought and found a friend with reality money to start there "legal" biusnes.:)

Latest posts

Top Bottom