HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ace9137

Ace9137

Ace9137
Dude, you need to chill! Why are you always so angry? I have read dozens of your posts, you are always angry about everything. Kick back, toke one up and chill brother!
I am not mad. I speak my opinion honestly, I offend people for my directness, for my attention to detail. I have no ill will, it is debate,right? If you disagree and believe something, even if the majority think you are wrong, it comes down to experience of said, idea, philosophy, or innovation. I state my idea, some are opinions, some are opinions steeped in fact. I am a friendly guy, in fact here is a joke, Did you hear about the guy with five penises? He bought a new pair of pants the other day and they fit like a glove:cool:

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hold on let me take my man bun out and we can all have a group hug 😂. @Ace9137 you do have some trolly tendencies but it doesn't take away from from your opinion or knowledge. We agree and disagree on several things. While you may be a little overbearing in your communication method you make your points clear whether or not people agree with them.

But let's be honest you asked for examples and got them. We had a good solid debate that provided good info and reasoning on both sides and I think we can agree that both sides work despite the differences.

We could probably do it in a more civilized fashion but hey what's life without some drama.

Let's all just some a bowl of what we have grown under.

Even if the LED guys have better weed that was produced at lower cost 🤣

Ace9137

Ace9137

Hold on let me take my man bun out and we can all have a group hug 😂. @Ace9137 you do have some trolly tendencies but it doesn't take away from from your opinion or knowledge. We agree and disagree on several things. While you may be a little overbearing in your communication method you make your points clear whether or not people agree with them.

But let's be honest you asked for examples and got them. We had a good solid debate that provided good info and reasoning on both sides and I think we can agree that both sides work despite the differences.

We could probably do it in a more civilized fashion but hey what's life without some drama.

A lot of people don't like to feel if their opinion is being attacked, I am only stating what I know from experience and book reading. I do pay attention to what others are saying, sometimes though I look at the raw science. For people to see from that point of view is difficult, not on any other reason than their perspective. I am not challenging anyone's humanity or being, I am challenging statements that conflict with knowledge I have. I offer what I know freely, not to lord it over others, I offer for their benefit. Drama, human beings without adversity will never flourish. I will admit I will never get into a debate over grow styles, on ANY sites, just a suggestion, go to an general gardening site, the old ladies on there are vicious, seriously, they will make you cry. Tell them half of what ANYONE on here said, and I would be the least of your concerns.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

Hey now.. Lower cost maybe but better weed? lol, someone is gonna have to send me a sample to verify that one for myself haha.

But it makes me wonder what peoples cost per ounce is, everything included. I sat down and did the math a little while ago and calculated my pot costs about $23-26 per ounce to produce depending on the strain. Thats including lights, fans, dirt, nutrients.. everything, over a 3 month crop cycle. I feel like that's pretty good? But I'm not really sure what these LED guys are paying per ounce to produce. It's a decent indicator of growroom efficiency.

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Hey now.. Lower cost maybe but better weed? lol, someone is gonna have to send me a sample to verify that one for myself haha.

But it makes me wonder what peoples cost per ounce is, everything included. I sat down and did the math a little while ago and calculated my pot costs about $23-26 per ounce to produce depending on the strain. Thats including lights, fans, dirt, nutrients.. everything, over a 3 month crop cycle. I feel like that's pretty good? But I'm not really sure what these LED guys are paying per ounce to produce. It's a decent indicator of growroom efficiency.
Was just teasin 😁 I have no idea but my cost are high for setup compared to most I'm sure. Not because of led but because of all my equipment. I only grow to produce the best quality I can and only 4 plants at a time. I spent a little over 3k to setup a 4x4 grow space. Not exactly cost effective. But keeping my running cost down is important to me and AC which I do run draws as much as my light so if I went HID it would be more than 2x the running cost of the light I'm using now.

Ace9137

Ace9137

i don't know? i believe nobody knows that answer? QB, COBs and the so called good LEDs (i don't think?) have been out for five years.
LED's have been out longer than five years, right? I mean even COBs, have been out for at least five years, QBs are very new, maybe one year out. I Bought my LED's almost five years ago. It may be my mistake, I was under the impression that LED's in one form or another have been in commercial use for ten years or so.

B

Burned Haze

Was just teasin 😁 I have no idea but my cost are high for setup compared to most I'm sure. Not because of led but because of all my equipment. I only grow to produce the best quality I can and only 4 plants at a time. I spent a little over 3k to setup a 4x4 grow space. Not exactly cost effective. But keeping my running cost down is important to me and AC which I do run draws as much as my light so if I went HID it would be more than 2x the running cost of the light I'm using now.
I guess the led dudes are not allowed to tease but hps dudes are allowed to without starting a wildfire...

Last edited by a moderator:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

this hasn't helped me at all, when i am thinking of the same topic...

i suppose its all about experience - and i have never grown under COB/LED, only outdoor and HID. so, this debate has been interesting discussion, but given personal circumstances i'm still leaning towards HID for my next grow. i'm still here to be convinced, otherwise.

WankirA

WankirA

i'm still here to be convinced

There's pros n cons for the various lighting systems; for me 'heat' was my weakness so i went LED.

I live in the top floor of a listed building so didnt want any potential heat related problems 'knocking at my door'...

The lights I ended up with are by no means bad: my grows are doing brilliantly. But I have a more informed info pool now.

I will be sticking with LED but going for HLG board next and staying away from the crappy footprint most blurples have.

Buy for flower footprint size and actual power moving forward...
MY TWOPENCE WORTH.
Cheers, W

:D

Ace9137

Ace9137

This statement alone.

Dude started out with fluorescents. Then he went to cheap blurple. Then to hps. NO WONDER HES STUCK ON HPS.

But statements like my electricity bill.went down from flurocenst and blurple. Huh!?!?!

You ain't playing with a full deck of cards stud.
Well I started a few years ago, which means that I have been doing this awhile. You seem hellbent on starting a fight.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Only angry that common sense isnt common anymore.

Im glad you like me though. I will sleep better tonight.
Hardly, perception and misinformation is the problem, I am sure there are sensible people here, maybe a lot more than you know. Debate, people tend to take it personal, the only thing personal is how you deal with the ideas of others. It is hard to accept people think differently, that is why there is debate, the discourse between many different philosophies can change view point, problem is people wall up when they feel threatened, even if they are not in harms way, they, themselves are losing one view or idea, it is intimidating. Of course, a forum will always have opposing views, the challenge is in proving your viewpoint, not about it being "valid", maybe it is about being accurate. For me I respect you stand up for your ideas, even though I do not agree, it is just a debate to me.

Ace9137

Ace9137

Now don't get me wrong, I know that most of this is a lot of reading, I am not saying you have to read it, yet if you want to understand where I am coming from when it comes to LED. Mostly what I have said, which was ignored, is that when LED's GET BETTER AND CHEAPER, I(thats me) will go out and buy one. From an actual science stand point, meanings years of study, QB's have not been tested thoroughly, and are only in the beginning stages, more to the point what if I spend a grand and then in six months something better comes along? Do you really think I am going to keep rushing out every six months? NO. In a few years, when LED's are more practical for MY needs, then I will reinvest. Now, one more thing, the mistake that I see is that you assume I had poor results with my blurple lights, NO. Let me show you some examples. Some of these pics are old, The quality was amazing, and even the yields were excellent, lower than HPS, the quality in my view was about the same, the top pic was two lemon hazes and two blue dream, the middle pic was two tutankhamens, and bottom was two blueberries, the blueberries were grown in one gallon fabric pots, I had a quarter pound dry, and truth be told, I may have only grown an ounce or two more with HPS. I am bitching solely on the facts that LED manufacturers are not more straight forward and that the longevity of said lights are bogus, do not doubt for a minute that using LED's was fun, I enjoyed my grows and had quality stuff. I like HPS on the account of weight, it actually gives me more bud, I am waiting until the LED market is more stable, right now what is being released is for testing the market, using the consumer for quality control and testing. If you do not believe me, go back on everything I have posted here, I can bet real money that most people missed those parts.

20180621 090848
20190201 161526
20190311 112856
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
This seriously has to be the most annoying "debate" ever.

Ffs, LED is more efficient and longer lasting, it's better technology, I get that. But the LED fanboys are just cramming it down our throats and shitting all over HID, It reminds me of a cult.. Join us or you will burn in hell...

I like my dirty old HID, and It works for me in my situation. When boards drop in price I might switch over and play along, but not until then, and not before my ballasts are toast. I like my HID.. I like LED too.. Sorry if that makes your head explode. But you're gonna have to deal with it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ffs, LED is more efficient and longer lasting, it's better technology, I get that. But the LED fanboys are just cramming it down our throats and shitting all over HID, It reminds me of a cult.. Join us or you will burn in hell...

I like my dirty old HID, and It works for me in my situation. When boards drop in price I might switch over and play along, but not until then, and not before my ballasts are toast. I like my HID.. I like LED too.. Sorry if that makes your head explode. But you're gonna have to deal with it.
Truth as I have always said both have a place. But read back on the thread it was not the led people shitting on HID cramming down anyone's throats but the other way around, HID ppl saying prove that LED is not garbage at least the way I read it.

Well there was some of both I would say. I think we can and have all agreed there is no one answer on this.

AlexGrowns

AlexGrowns

lol reminds me of this song

Top Bottom