HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

This is a study done on tomatoe plants using old led. Hps and current led.
Very informative read.
It has footnotes of which scientific study it came from and where.

If you were to google hps vs led you get the people trying to promote amazon salez (if someone click on a link from their review of hps vs led they get a commission if they buy the light)
They dont care about which light is actually better or which technology.

They pick the lights with the most sales and reviews on amazon so they get more clicks on the link.

Any quality study done on hps isnt meant to create fanboys or this is better than that.

Any quality study ACTUALLY leaves you with your own choice and gives pros and cons and has university studies to back it up.

Fanboys are simply someone who's pride gets in the way of common sense.

I grow with hps and led.
And am excited to see the results of my current grow.

Fact of the matter is we shouldnt even be comparing led to hps it should be cmh to quality led

Both are a better choice than hps.

Why do you think a Philips cmh bulb cost 100 bucks and the square wave technology costs so much more than hps.
Simply put it's better for your cannabis.

I dont disagree with anything you said here, except maybe the part about bud quality... Im still to be convinced on that one..
When I do switch, I'm quite honestly leaning more towards CMH because I need a bit of heat. I've said it numerous times that if I were tent growing, or had a massive budget and a warmer climate, or just getting started I'd likely go with an HLG550. They are awesome, I'm not denying that.

I'm in the position where I've been using HID for 2 decades, and I still use them and grow excellent pot with them. I'm getting very close to 2 pounds per thousand watts and the quality is exceptional, dont believe me, check out my grow diary.. AND I dont have to heat my room. I'm not sure how much benefit I would get by dropping a pile of money to make the switch just yet.

But like I said I'm open to it. I dont think LED is junk, it's clearly awesome technology, it's just still evolving and priced out of reality for me to make a switch. It's really just that simple.

Ace9137

Ace9137

This seriously has to be the most annoying "debate" ever.

Ffs, LED is more efficient and longer lasting, it's better technology, I get that. But the LED fanboys are just cramming it down our throats and shitting all over HID, It reminds me of a cult.. Join us or you will burn in hell...

I like my dirty old HID, and It works for me in my situation. When boards drop in price I might switch over and play along, but not until then, and not before my ballasts are toast. I like my HID.. I like LED too.. Sorry if that makes your head explode. But you're gonna have to deal with it.
I keep saying this, it is like no matter what you say you are wrong. I like HID better, I don't care what some article has said, I care about what results I get, I started growing when people started selling 20 dollars a gram, it was insane, I wanted a way to grow smoke so I would have a stash, I am good at growing, under any light so far. I prefer HPS, and until the market changes to my consumer needs, they do not get my money.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I'm in the position where I've been using HID for 2 decades, and I still use them and grow excellent pot with them. I'm getting very close to 2 pounds per thousand watts and the quality is exceptional, dont believe me, check out my grow diary.
Been doing this for over 4 decades and I'll still throw up my HID's now and again, As far as weight is concerned, that's a growers responsibility . I can get a lb out of a 400 watt HPS or 30 ounces from a 600 watt HPS, Or I can get a kilo from a 750 watt DE HPS or a kilo from 570 watts of LED's. It's all on the GROWER.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

Welp from what i have been able to gather top end LED tech is alot better than HPS. there are LED's with half the wattage as an HPS bulb stomping them out on tests.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

True but it does show that most led lamps are not as efficient as the sales pitch. And that more efficiency than hps cost up to 6 times as much money up front.
Yup... Have to justify the price but all inclusive. Maintenance, upfront, running cost, cooling or heating costs etc.

No one size fits all... I think @Dirtbag and I have been saying this from the start.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I highly, HIGHLY recommend everyone reading this thread watch this video. It's pretty technical in many ways but reinforces a few things I've always felt to be true, and muddies the water on this debate a bit further. But it highlights why PAR meter readings arent everything, and its referring specifically to cannabis growers.

Serious, check it out. For real. You will be a smarter grower for it.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I highly, HIGHLY recommend everyone reading this thread watch this video. It's pretty technical in many ways but reinforces a few things I've always felt to be true, and muddies the water on this debate a bit further. But it highlights why PAR meter readings arent everything, and its referring specifically to cannabis growers.

Before watching in gonna guess it goes into IR and UV being usable by plants?

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Before watching in gonna guess it goes into IR and UV being usable by plants?

No, it's more related to how photons travel through plant tissue and affect thylakoids, and how the source of the photons makes a difference, especially with light loving plants with deep stacks of thylakoids.

C

Compost Man

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
I use compost, called CPR ( COMPOST:POTVINS RECIPE) This is my own recipe (45 years). When my plants are flowered, there are NO problems/ leaves , from germination untill flowered. The ONLY yellow leaf would be the one nicked/scissors during pruning. The base growing medium is half Canaidian Sphagnum peat moss (pH is 7.0) and half SILICA SAND ( HTH POOL FILTERING SAND #1). A 3" Layer of CPR and EVERYONE GROWS MEDICAL GRADE CANNIBIS. LED lighting is SUPERIOR TO HID'S 👍 Advanced Platinum Series is #1( has UV spectrum(POTENCY) Currently I'm using a 1200 watt Vipraspectra (#3)/SOLACURE UV lighting.

IMG 20190721 190046436
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Good video and good info in it. Could start a whole other debate on what's best. Simply put for me... I scrog and will stick to my led penetration is not important to me I also think it leaves a lot of room for debate on the LED side because not all lenses are 90 degree. Again led is not led.... And here we go again lol

Top Bottom