HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
78OzFinest

78OzFinest

at this point i dont think there are very many cases where an HPS would be superior to high end LED tech. both are obviously good, but as of late it seems the tech behind LED has pushed them beyond HID. , better spectrum choices, far far more efficient, far more intensity . this is an interesting pod cast in general but the Doc touches on an experiment they ran in a commercial setup and they found they got better yields and a better ROI with LED. now thats just one test mind you, but i think the general consensus is that high quality full spectrum white LED light is the epitome of growing right now.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

True but it does show that most led lamps are not as efficient as the sales pitch. And that more efficiency than hps cost up to 6 times as much money up front.
That's because the metrics are all over the place, the equipment used for the testing said parameters is biased to meet their claims.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

That exact same claim could be made with ceramic metal halide to high pressure sodium.
It's not exclusive to led.
Its simply how our own technology is progressing
thats true, but CMH is still HID and its still older tech and will eventually be phased out entirely

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

i just cant look past the fact that good LED's are matching and even beating the output of HID with half the watts.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

Guitar amps are still sold with vacuum tubes because musicians like them better than digital amps.
true, and perhaps phased out entirely is a stretch, but theyre certainly going to be losing a large portion of the market share over the next decade.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i just cant look past the fact that good LED's are matching and even beating the output of HID with half the watts.

I can, for the exact same reason I havent bought a Tesla yet. Yeah they're going to save you money operating it, but they're too expensive to buy at the moment. And quite frankly, I'm happy with my truck.

I'm with Aqua Man, I'm burned out on this subject and just dont really care enough about it.

Use whatever lighting yall want. There are far more important and interesting variables to discuss about cultivation.

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

He is advertising for his company.
MIGRO NOT First

How the hell do you figure he's advertising his company? In the test he is not on top of the efficiency! I try and show some useful information with actual science and efficiency formulas and you need to get past the part of it being done by I person who has LED lights of his own and look at the useful information about what lights are more efficient and which ones are showing the best output for the buck and use that to make your conclusion of where LED's are at compared to others.
I'm sorry dude but all you want to do is stir the pot here. For someone who has been growing for what, a whole 4 years, you are still wet behind the ears and should be paying attention instead of dissing on everything everyone else posts.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

the price gap is not very big depending on what you get and swiftly eliminated with savings from the higher efficiency light. i just thought i would throw my two cents in for OP's sake, not trying to argue with anyone. i know people are still very happy with HID , and of course why would you make the switch if its working for you. its a tried and and true method. there is obviously so many variables involved and they vary greatly from grow to grow, both have their places in a variety of situations, but LED will be the winner in spectrum quality and efficiency.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

I can, for the exact same reason I havent bought a Tesla yet. Yeah they're going to save you money operating it, but they're too expensive to buy at the moment. And quite frankly, I'm happy with my truck.

I'm with Aqua Man, I'm burned out on this subject and just dont really care enough about it.

Use whatever lighting yall want. There are far more important and interesting variables to discuss about cultivation.
The only problem with that is it's one of the big 3 as far as plant growth, is more importants than any nutrients, training or such things as most gardeners think matter!

Ace9137

Ace9137

View attachment 882736
How the hell do you figure he's advertising his company? In the test he is not on top of the efficiency! I try and show some useful information with actual science and efficiency formulas and you need to get past the part of it being done by I person who has LED lights of his own and look at the useful information about what lights are more efficient and which ones are showing the best output for the buck and use that to make your conclusion of where LED's are at compared to others.
I'm sorry dude but all you want to do is stir the pot here. For someone who has been growing for what, a whole 4 years, you are still wet behind the ears and should be paying attention instead of dissing on everything everyone else posts.
His company is in third slot, I know sales, it has supported me and mine for 25 years, it is a gimmick. Oh, yes I have been growing weed for 4 years, been growing a lot of other things for 21 years, I believe someone here even said, "the only difference between cannabis and other plants is its extreme photoperiod, otherwise it is pretty much any other plant", it is not an exact quote, still it is to the point. I am not stirring the pot when I take a stand and stick to what I have said, I have backed with facts, that have been ignored, maybe all you have to do is take a look at yourself.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

View attachment 882736
Do you know how the par meter was calibrated? Does it show the weighted spectral output? Par is all a general range from 400-700nm

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

Do you know how the par meter was calibrated? Does it show the weighted spectral output? Par is all a general range from 400-700nm
He was testing efficiency. I trust his equipment was calibrated the same for each light. If you don't think that the information is any good then disregard it!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
The only problem with that is it's one of the big 3 as far as plant growth, is more importants than any nutrients, training or such things as most gardeners think matter!

Of course light is important, obviously. But realistically, and not to toot my own horn here but I already grow pot better than most people I know with my crusty old obsolete HID's. Do I pay I bit more for power, sure... but do I give AF? No..

My pot is already top shelf, any difference I would see from going with LED would be marginal at best, and I would have to completely rework my other environmental controls due to the lack of heat I rely on..

fart noises..

Last edited:
916Fisherman

916Fisherman

This seriously has to be the most annoying "debate" ever.

Ffs, LED is more efficient and longer lasting, it's better technology, I get that. But the LED fanboys are just cramming it down our throats and shitting all over HID, It reminds me of a cult.. Join us or you will burn in hell...

I like my dirty old HID, and It works for me in my situation. When boards drop in price I might switch over and play along, but not until then, and not before my ballasts are toast. I like my HID.. I like LED too.. Sorry if that makes your head explode. But you're gonna have to deal with it.
From someone who is neutral on the subject I say each side is shitting on the other. HID guys bashing LED and vice versa.

LED is the future of lighting, that should be a no brainer but until that future comes down in price I’m running HID or cheap LED

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

Of course light is important, obviously. But realistically, and not to toot my own horn here but I already grow pot better than most people I know with my crusty old obsolete HID's. Do I pay I bit more for power, sure... but do I give AF? No..

My pot is already top shelf, any difference I would see from going with LED would be marginal at best, and I would have to completely rework my other environmental controls due to the lack of heat I rely on..

fart noises..
I'm sure you do grow top shelf and I'm not here to argue over what lighting you choose to grow with. That's what good growers do!
The simply truth is the only true argument is upfront price for good quality LED lights and that's it. Not heat, not environmental control manipulations, not all those thing you hear for excusses.

Latest posts

Top Bottom