HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I'm sure you do grow top shelf and I'm not here to argue over what lighting you choose to grow with. That's what good growers do!
The simply truth is the only true argument is upfront price for good quality LED lights and that's it. Not heat, not environmental control manipulations, not all those thing you hear for excusses.

Tell that to someone who grows in a shed outdoors in near freezing weather most of the year. Like me. Heat and environmental control is very much a consideration, like it or not.

Granted, when I built the shed I grow in now I seriously considered HLG 550's. The main reason I said nope, was the $4000 price tag. I built the whole damn shed for less than that. $4000 vs $400 for lighting... It really wasnt a hard decision as I was already very comfortable using and controlling environment with HID. I made the decision to use these for now and see how the technology advances and if the prices come down and the tech becomes more widespread and consistent, I'll get on board. I've never once said LED arent more advanced and efficient, they clearly are. Im just saying that's not going to be everybody's driving motivator.

Anyway, I thought I unwatched this thread? lol

B

Burned Haze

Wow I’m impressed so many hps dudes ( and I was one , test only 1 table for led’s And after one run that convinced me to do 50% of the room , then all, yeah I suck) giving that great information and convincing feedback? . Oh wait I just see piss and repeat you won’t buy the lights? If you won’t? Then who cares and why are you trying so damn hard to convince the people that might want to not to?( with no information and just hate and wanting to making this same stupid debate instead of sowing them information or your experiences even instead of “ I love it.....” blah

I see a lot of the same dudes stirring the fire with zero backing of what they claim or even try to , give it up or show some information or helpfulness or shut up honestly

Ace9137

Ace9137

What you know is true to you, that is your truth. But those truths are not facts.
I went back and read every post you made in this thread and I don't see facts unless this post
is one of those facts?
I doubt you read my links then? I also doubt that you would, even if the you agreed with the person. If you did read the links and disagree with them, that is opinion. I know it is all confusing, and amazingly enough it is people who like to argue, I like debate, unfortunately most don't know the difference. If you did read my posts and focused on just that, you want to get down my pants, you do NOT get that until dinner a movie, and you are hotter than me.

Ace9137

Ace9137

^ up here, did anyone hit that link? In fact did you look at the top of that links page and see the other links? Did you even look at the web address? Now, this question is the most important one. Did you read it all?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
I think there is 2 different arguments going on in this thread and it's causing back and forth that doesn't need to happen. There is the spectrum/par/efficiency debate going against setup cost and cost per gram argument vs scale and its getting lost in translation.

GrnMtnGrowR

GrnMtnGrowR

I think there is 2 different arguments going on in this thread and it's causing back and forth that doesn't need to happen. There is the spectrum/par/efficiency debate going against setup cost and cost per gram argument vs scale and its getting lost in translation.
You are so right.
Does anyone remember " DIYDanny "?? He would be the person that came on to this site, this forum and stated he had never been on this forum or any forum. I sent him a private message apologizing to him on behalf of this forum for what had happened here in this thread. He didn't get anything but a bad taste from this experience. I informed him that his question was pretty much impossible to answer unless he had been more specific by explaining "Superior in what way". I haven't seen him back in here and I figure he ran from this, can't say as I blame him. But I reached out to him and I hope he gives the forum another try in helping with his questions.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

Of course light is important, obviously. But realistically, and not to toot my own horn here but I already grow pot better than most people I know with my crusty old obsolete HID's. Do I pay I bit more for power, sure... but do I give AF? No..

My pot is already top shelf, any difference I would see from going with LED would be marginal at best, and I would have to completely rework my other environmental controls due to the lack of heat I rely on..

fart noises..
crusty 😂😂

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

Tell that to someone who grows in a shed outdoors in near freezing weather most of the year. Like me. Heat and environmental control is very much a consideration, like it or not.

Granted, when I built the shed I grow in now I seriously considered HLG 550's. The main reason I said nope, was the $4000 price tag. I built the whole damn shed for less than that. $4000 vs $400 for lighting... It really wasnt a hard decision as I was already very comfortable using and controlling environment with HID. I made the decision to use these for now and see how the technology advances and if the prices come down and the tech becomes more widespread and consistent, I'll get on board. I've never once said LED arent more advanced and efficient, they clearly are. Im just saying that's not going to be everybody's driving motivator.

Anyway, I thought I unwatched this thread? lol
if the price is a deterrent on the HLG for you like it was for me..then you should look into a few of the reputable LED suppliers on Alibaba,, theyre literally selling the exact same product for a fraction of the cost,,, their HLG 550v2 clones are like 280 dollars. some will say they arent authentic diodes blah blah blah , but they are, and theyre very good lights. HLG gets all of their parts from china anyways lol.. just a gross mark up, Pulling the wool over peoples eyes IMHO...

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

however a better option to the 550's is two of the 260W kits, cheaper, more flexible coverage, and more spectrum mixing options.

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

id go with two of these instead!! i got one in 3000k, and 4000k, both with added 600nm. tell vivi you want them for 117 , thats what they charged me, and she said they would make good on that for others.

R

RolandNiels

id go with two of these instead!! i got one in 3000k, and 4000k, both with added 600nm. tell vivi you want them for 117 , thats what they charged me, and she said they would make good on that for others.

I wouldnt recommend you this manufacture

Ace9137

Ace9137

i got one in 3000k and one in 4000k both with 660nm added.
Lets say I spend 240 bucks on lights, how long will they last? Seriously, If it last five years alone and saved on electric costs, I may buy that later on. My thought process is more on upfront, and then how long said light lasts. If both lights only last four years, both lights only cost me 55 bucks per year, that is a great investment. but if they last two years, that is a 120 dollars a year. Now long term even a 120 dollars a year is not bad. if the efficiency is still at 60% by the end of it's life. Meaning long term versus short term versus expense. I am not disagreeing with you just saying what is my investment and upkeep not JUST in electricity, in replacement and maintenance.

R

RolandNiels

Lets say I spend 240 bucks on lights, how long will they last? Seriously, If it last five years alone and saved on electric costs, I may buy that later on. My thought process is more on upfront, and then how long said light lasts. If both lights only last four years, both lights only cost me 55 bucks per year, that is a great investment. but if they last two years, that is a 120 dollars a year. Now long term even a 120 dollars a year is not bad. if the efficiency is still at 60% by the end of it's life. Meaning long term versus short term versus expense. I am not disagreeing with you just saying what is my investment and upkeep not JUST in electricity, in replacement and maintenance.

Depends on the chips you get, and the manufacture willingsness to cut corners if you order direct from China.

Ill tell you this much, we have bought samples from 15 different manufactures. Not a single one delivered what there were suppose to. We finally found one to, but toke ages.

½-1 year minimum, unless you get one of the better ones from day 1. Then it will last until fans give out (if it has a fan) And you can expect a minimum of 50000 hours as Advertised, this is about 8 years if you grow 365 days a year, 16 hours a day.

Last edited:
Top Bottom