HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
lol, a few years ago I had a few hobbies going on. I was growing pot, brewing beer, ranching and storing yeasts, Flying RC planes, and reloading ammunition. Had a fish tank too..lol.

No more fish tank, reloading, or yeast ranching. Still fly now and then, and I still make beer and grow pot. Though I brew pretty infrequently these days.

So what you are saying is you still have a ton of powder laying around you want to sell me at pennies on the dollar right? Lets just hope its all 8208 and RL16 ;-)

justadbeer

justadbeer

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated

I'm a big fan of COB LED lighting. I've been using mine for quite some time now and have had much better results. I ordered and built mine from a place called cobkits.com -
Aside from the obvious savings to your elect bill (which is huge for me), the fact that they run so much cooler is a huge plus. No running ducting for HPS lights, last 10-20 times longer than HPS (50,000-1000,000 hrs) and i'm getting higher quality yields. The only downside is if you live in colder climes, you may have to heat your grow area in the winter. This pic was just last week from one of my AC/DC plants. That holding tank for my RO system is 16" tall just to give you an idea of size.

Cola
JBloomers123

JBloomers123

Very impressive.

Here is a top from my hps lights harvest..I wish I got the same results from the led I tried but just not the case ..nowhere close :(

I'm a big fan of COB LED lighting. I've been using mine for quite some time now and have had much better results. I ordered and built mine from a place called cobkits.com -
Aside from the obvious savings to your elect bill (which is huge for me), the fact that they run so much cooler is a huge plus. No running ducting for HPS lights, last 10-20 times longer than HPS (50,000-1000,000 hrs) and i'm getting higher quality yields. The only downside is if you live in colder climes, you may have to heat your grow area in the winter. This pic was just last week from one of my AC/DC plants. That holding tank for my RO system is 16" tall just to give you an idea of size.

709877CB A189 437A 91C5 EAB54D639D80
BigCube

BigCube

My current grow in on an x5 (5 cob) led.
I am super happy with the performance.

DIYDanny

DIYDanny

Hi Danny,

I’ve been growing for years and went through the same thought process you’re considering now. Long story short,..don’t do it. I’m 99% sure you’ll be disappointed as I was.

I spent countless hours researching led brands, spectrums and reviews. In the end I thought I was making an educated purchase for all the reasons you’re considering..lower heat, lower energy consumption etc..I went with KIND LED and they failed me miserably. The unit was expensive (about $1k ) and it looked really cool. But that’s about it. They had all these claims about how the light is sooo intense that for the first week of 12/12 keep it about 36” from canopy as to not burn your plants and then reduce the height 7 inches each week until you have it about 14-16” from canopy. This was to allow the plant to get used to “intense” led lighting Lololol. it was all a crock of shit. My plants took forever to bud. They just wanted to keep stretching as if they needed more light. I literally ran out of head room.

When I called KIND LED I was beside myself as to the responses I got back. Clearly, they developed and marketed their product line in theory vs. in field application. I was appalled from some of the dumb questions they asked when trying to resolve my concerns. At that point I realized I was snookered by a slick marketing campaign.

it took 5 weeks into a 9 week grow cycle for the plants to look like they would after 2 weeks under HPS lighting.

I’ll deal with the additional heat and electric bill any day vs. trying led again. The $1k investment actually cost me about $5k because I missed out on 2 grow cycles in my quest to understand what was happening. Never again.

[
QUOTE="DIYDanny, post: 2267633, member: 105101"]
Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
[/QUOTE]Thanks for your comment. I'm beginning to realize there might be 1%chance of me ordering the correct led fora 100% happy grow with a the China leds out there. I'd rather go with the tried and trusted method for now! Ordering LUMII600W electronic ballast come payday.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
So what you are saying is you still have a ton of powder laying around you want to sell me at pennies on the dollar right? Lets just hope its all 8208 and RL16 ;-)

Lol, you wish. I've got about a half pound each R7 and R15...

And here is another sweet HPS grown top for good measure lol. May as well see what these puppies can do. Id love to see more LED growers show off their nice buds too.

If I were to notice anything different about the bud structure from some pics I've seen here, it would be HPS seems to produce rounder, denser buds, and (some brands of) LED looks to produce more foxtailing and looser bud clusters. But a lot of that could be attributed to environment. Nevertheless, it would be cool to see a bit of a friendly photo showdown between the two lol. Or is that inviting disaster? haha

20190330 105527

Last edited:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

And here is another sweet HPS grown top for good measure lol. May as well see what these puppies can do. Id love to see more LED growers show off their nice buds too.

If I were to notice anything different about the bud structure, it would be HPS seems to produce rounder, denser buds, and (some brands of) LED looks to produce more foxtailing and looser bud clusters. But a lot of that could be attributed to environment. Nevertheless, it would be cool to see a bit of a friendly photo showdown between the too lol. Or is that inviting disaster? haha

View attachment 880829
I'll get some up when i harvest this time. I was always scared of having pics posted and even on my phone. I don't like people knowing im growing other than a couple very close friends. And i have a few other reasons but i'm lightening up on it. Nice lookin buds

916Fisherman

916Fisherman

If I were to notice anything different about the bud structure from some pics I've seen here, it would be HPS seems to produce rounder, denser buds, and (some brands of) LED looks to produce more foxtailing and looser bud clusters. But a lot of that could be attributed to environment. Nevertheless, it would be cool to see a bit of a friendly photo showdown between the two lol. Or is that inviting disaster? haha

View attachment 880829
Bud density is the first thing I notice when comparing pics of LED buds vs HPS buds. HPS Always looks more dense

StickyRicky1

StickyRicky1

I'm burnt on the subject. Led is not Led. Do your research there are plenty of articles and posts here about it. It's all about the application you need it for. HID costs in the long run led costs upfront. Both grow good cannabis. I'm talking quality led not the gimmiks listed on 90% of the websites. If your thinking of getting a cheap led stay with HID
What led lights do recommend I want to switch from hid hps lights .

F

Flybear

Many grows, very good led cob vs hps.
1st yr but even better than hps.
Maxbloom 8 cost 400
Phlizon 2000 was 300
Aglex 2000 was 250
Really like the last one.
Was running 2-3 1000 w hps
Heat, ventilation, energy lower costs.
Differences in lights, cobs on one is red, other blue, other blue yellow. Aglex doesn't seem to have ir uv but best of bunch
Of course I use only Cogos Original Cannabis Formula, A&B, and SNS systemic early.
Hope anyone appreciates deep experience

Ace9137

Ace9137

this is a cola on a rather sparse Sativa, the top cola weighed in at 3 and a quarter pounds wet, so it will close to 3 ounces dry, give or take a half ounce. This plant alone will yield about a half pound dry, 400 watt HPS with magnetic ballast, the buds are very dense, I gave my buddy some from another plant, that is dry, I gave him about a half gram,(at least I thought it was), a couple days later he came back and told me he had two joints and a bowl out of what i gave him! What I gave him actually weighed two grams plus. So as far as I can see, when I get yields, and quality from LED's that I get from an HPS, then I would buy into it.

20190714 200953
F

Flybear

Many grows, very good led cob vs hps.
1st yr but even better than hps.
Maxbloom 8 cost 400
Phlizon 2000 was 300
Aglex 2000 was 250
Really like the last one.
Was running 2-3 1000 w hps
Heat, ventilation, energy lower costs.
Differences in lights, cobs on one is red, other blue, other blue yellow. Aglex doesn't seem to have ir uv but best of bunch
Of course I use only Cogos Original Cannabis Formula, A&B, and SNS systemic early.
Hope anyone appreciates deep experience

In reply to myself, I just wanted to add.
The LED COB choice is many and hard to know what to buy, as I'm not into diy.
I will let you know how things turn out and maybe with pics.
So led cob this time I got several as I have about 75 sq ft space, no tents. Instead of one hps in a 4.5 ft square area, there's a 2000 led cob.
I've grown regularly 15 years, and long before. Hid hps dwc 5 gal netpots hydroton. Larger spaces large heat vent electric requirements for 4 1000w. Lots of ducts noise and cost. Bulbs don't last more than a few grows.
These lights surpass my expectations
Had 11 inch fan leaves in veg, everything on schedule. Forget pars and all the bs, see how those leaves pray. Have thinned twice before budsets. They are going prolific, and I think even better than the old setup. This time using gh old time square system, 8 plants, two nute lines each. They keep more root in hydroton than net pots, but still beautiful white root mass in buckets. I'm not growing roots!!!
I want to again plug Cogos original cannabis formula a-b which I've used now many years, really the best, and I tried them all. They're online, several versions, even dry bulk. 2 gallon set under 200 yields 600+ gal nutrient. All the other high prices additives being hawked amuses me .

Only other thing I use is Sns systemic during veg prevent bugs with rosemary oil.

And, I want you to know that the light cycle for veg, (13-11) meaning 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off, is all you ever need. The one hr with blue in middle of night prevents flower. Then 11 on 13 off to flower. Cannabis esp Indica are short day long night plants. 24 or 18 hr for veg is ok if you want heat and big bills.

Okay that's all folk's.

F

Flybear

In reply to myself, I just wanted to add.
The LED COB choice is many and hard to know what to buy, as I'm not into diy.
I will let you know how things turn out and maybe with pics.
So led cob this time I got several as I have about 75 sq ft space, no tents. Instead of one hps in a 4.5 ft square area, there's a 2000 led cob.
I've grown regularly 15 years, and long before. Hid hps dwc 5 gal netpots hydroton. Larger spaces large heat vent electric requirements for 4 1000w. Lots of ducts noise and cost. Bulbs don't last more than a few grows.
These lights surpass my expectations
Had 11 inch fan leaves in veg, everything on schedule. Forget pars and all the bs, see how those leaves pray. Have thinned twice before budsets. They are going prolific, and I think even better than the old setup. This time using gh old time square system, 8 plants, two nute lines each. They keep more root in hydroton than net pots, but still beautiful white root mass in buckets. I'm not growing roots!!!
I want to again plug Cogos original cannabis formula a-b which I've used now many years, really the best, and I tried them all. They're online, several versions, even dry bulk. 2 gallon set under 200 yields 600+ gal nutrient. All the other high prices additives being hawked amuses me .

Only other thing I use is Sns systemic during veg prevent bugs with rosemary oil.

And, I want you to know that the light cycle for veg, (13-11) meaning 12 on, 5.5 off, 1 on, 5.5 off, is all you ever need. The one hr with blue in middle of night prevents flower. Then 11 on 13 off to flower. Cannabis esp Indica are short day long night plants. 24 or 18 hr for veg is ok if you want heat and big bills.

Okay that's all folk's.

Just some examples

IMG 20190718 162713052 HDR
IMG 20190718 162719615
IMG 20190718 162734854
IMG 20190718 162727595
IMG 20190718 162739264 BURST000 COVER TOP
IMG 20190718 162808143 HDR
IMG 20190718 162744700
78OzFinest

78OzFinest

I can vouch along with many others on another forum for the quality and price of the alibaba HLG alternatives! they have more spectrum choices and cost a fraction of the price ! i ordered a 250W from kingbrite in 3000k with 660nm and am extremely happy with it ! it has the samsung 301b diodes! they also have the newer slightly more efficient lm301H diodes as well. these things blow any blurple LED light out of the water, these diodes produce extremely high quality full spectrum light, these diodes are the epitome of LED growing right now, cant get much better... you can also have them add infrared and UV diodes to the boards as well. lots of custom options. check them out! ill be ordering another 250W from them for sure! i was very impressed with build quality of the boards!

78OzFinest

78OzFinest

heres my 250W outshining my two "300W" viparspectras, this thing nearly blinded me when i turned it on for the first time. these things are true watts, none of that equivalent BS alot of the other LED makers go with.

20190718 120914
F

Flybear

I can vouch along with many others on another forum for the quality and price of the alibaba HLG alternatives! they have more spectrum choices and cost a fraction of the price ! i ordered a 250W from kingbrite in 3000k with 660nm and am extremely happy with it ! it has the samsung 301b diodes! they also have the newer slightly more efficient lm301H diodes as well. these things blow any blurple LED light out of the water, these diodes produce extremely high quality full spectrum light, these diodes are the epitome of LED growing right now, cant get much better... you can also have them add infrared and UV diodes to the boards as well. lots of custom options. check them out! ill be ordering another 250W from them for sure! i was very impressed with build quality of the boards!

Think they're very good.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In all fairness I always have given Chinese knock offs a very hard time. Most of you know I'm a stubborn old sole. I can say that these are an exception to my opinion of Chinese knock offs.

I can't speak to the quality of customer support but the components speak for themselves.

Latest posts

Top Bottom