HPS light superior vs current led tech?

In my opinion bps is best for commercial grows, good led lights are expensive, but if your growing for just yourself I would go led, if your gonna do a big grow I would use mh, but remember mh throws off a lot of heat I would not want one in my tent it's hot enough with led, and it costs allot more mony to run mh.

I can vouch along with many others on another forum for the quality and price of the alibaba HLG alternatives! they have more spectrum choices and cost a fraction of the price ! i ordered a 250W from kingbrite in 3000k with 660nm and am extremely happy with it ! it has the samsung 301b diodes! they also have the newer slightly more efficient lm301H diodes as well. these things blow any blurple LED light out of the water, these diodes produce extremely high quality full spectrum light, these diodes are the epitome of LED growing right now, cant get much better... you can also have them add infrared and UV diodes to the boards as well. lots of custom options. check them out! ill be ordering another 250W from them for sure! i was very impressed with build quality of the boards!

thanks these look cool ima look into em, what do you like on there that you didn’t buy

Hi All
First time on forum. Or any forum😕
Anyway I took 6 cutting from my mother plant last night and put into a bubble Cloner I made from stuff laying around.
Question is I've they survive and grow a fair amount under the 9x 18w leds I've got what light would I flower them under in 2x1 meter space in 20l buckets thinking of 1 x 600w HPS but unsure If led tech has surpassed HPS ? I have to spend money so might as well buy best option for them obviously for the largest yield
Any help appreciated
Those 315s are a good choice by the sounds of it. It's a supercharged MH and HPS. 315 watts can grow all of weed easy with good uv Ray's for resin production.
Philip's 315 bulbs are expensive but you get what you pay for.

This is a quantum board. Its 480 volts max. And the output, par footprint and lumens it produces makes it equivalent to a 1000 watt HID.
It's made by the best company with top quality components. This is the business as far as led tech goes.
But there are cheaper options for qbs. You just have to dig

This is a cob led grow bar. Pure white light. Dimmable. Can put whatever brand of cobs u want in there.

Can also DIY with lots of diff options for quantum boards and cob kits. Both have their advantages if you talk to diff growers.

DIY is one of your best options. Alot of users on another forum have a thread dedicated to chinese quantum boards with grow diaries and all that jazz (shouldnt be hard to find on google)

And alot of users on this forum and that one to help you with your DIY projects. DIY is good because it's cheaper and can get more bang for your buck at the cost of a little work

Good luck man welcome to the site

Last edited:
heres my 250W outshining my two "300W" viparspectras, this thing nearly blinded me when i turned it on for the first time. these things are true watts, none of that equivalent BS alot of the other LED makers go with.
So one reason the 250 watt quantum board style light appears so much brighter, it is likely 250 watts actual, but the Viparspectra 300 watt light is not 300 watts, it is only 132 watts actual. When I see an LED light the first thing I do is find out what the actual wattage draw is of that light, because that is what that light really is. Viparspectra claims their 300 watt LED is the equivalent of a 250 HPS. I have used 250 HPS lights for years and I can tell you that their equivalent stated is really not accurate.

So one reason the 250 watt quantum board style light appears so much brighter, it is likely 250 watts actual, but the Viparspectra 300 watt light is not 300 watts, it is only 132 watts actual. When I see an LED light the first thing I do is find out what the actual wattage draw is of that light, because that is what that light really is. Viparspectra claims their 300 watt LED is the equivalent of a 250 HPS. I have used 250 HPS lights for years and I can tell you that their equivalent stated is really not accurate.
Right. When it comes to cheap LEDs you get a better idea of what their equivalent too on how many watts power draw from the wall plug.

After that you can compare par coverage, cri, and lumens to get a better comparison

I've got a 3000watt philzon cree cob that only pulls 630 watts from the wall.

It puts out like 60,000 lumens or something. Which is in ballpark between 600watt and 1000 watt hps

Those hlg qb are over 80,000 lumens I believe and pull 480 from the wall.

So already I'm at a disadvantage. Qb is the way to go I believe in terms of energy saving and bang for your buck even tho they might cost more up front.

Last edited:
LEDs are just a way of making people think that they are environment friendly as well as savvy consumers, in other words, "All hype and no pipe.". Seriously, how long does it take in the long run to save money? How do you repair it if it breaks? How long do you really have the same LED's? Long enough for them to be over five years old? or will they live up to the claims long after the warranty expires? How about, why do the LED companies make false claims on their lights? Ergo, 1200 watt equivalent, or will last up to 50,000 hours, none of those in my experience are true, How long have people had their LED's for? How long until they had to replace LED? For me, I like my business upfront as possible, so, I go with HPS, I am fully pleased with the results, I started with LEDs, I did like them. Sadly, they just don't hold a candle to HPS.

LEDs are just a way of making people think that they are environment friendly as well as savvy consumers, in other words, "All hype and no pipe.". Seriously, how long does it take in the long run to save money? How do you repair it if it breaks? How long do you really have the same LED's? Long enough for them to be over five years old? or will they live up to the claims long after the warranty expires? How about, why do the LED companies make false claims on their lights? Ergo, 1200 watt equivalent, or will last up to 50,000 hours, none of those in my experience are true, How long have people had their LED's for? How long until they had to replace LED? For me, I like my business upfront as possible, so, I go with HPS, I am fully pleased with the results, I started with LEDs, I did like them. Sadly, they just don't hold a candle to HPS.

I dont think environmentally friendly has ever been a selling point for led.
I've certainly never heard any experienced grower suggest thst to me.

Your comparing led to hps like all led is the same. Blurple, cob and quantum boards are worlds apart.

Hlg, cree cobs and other high quality companies lights definately live up to their rated power, and efficiency as you can see from the grow journals and youtube videos.

-600 to 1000 watt hps give immense heat and suck back the power adding to your powerbill

-you need air cooled hoods to keep heat down or a very good exhaust system which can be costly

-you gotta change the bulb every grow or two to keep the lights output above 80% and good bulbs can be costly and if your an mh fan boy theres some more cost switching bulbs from veg to flower.

-quantum boards can give more output at 480 watts vs a 600 watt hps

-the coverage is more direct and even

-the spectrum can mimic the sun better than most hps bulbs.

To say led dont hold a candle to hps is straight up ridiculous.
They not only hold a candle, they are better in lots of ways.
If you factor in all costs.

I'm growing with both led and hps. I'm not on either side of the fence.
I'm on the side that grows quality dope

I dont care if I get there with hps or led.

LED's all the way.....
I have 3 and i get a sense the foot print i a tad small. Now im a little more aware, aam keeping my eyes open for single qb board that covers my whole footprint.
They just work with little to no fuss.
Imho of course...

-if u had a reasonable priced quantum board. And one led chip goes out. The rest still work.
-if you have to replace one qb out of 4 on a fixture that's fuck all
- if you had to switch out a driver that's fuck all
-you can buy these things online from DIY companies.
-the rest of your fixture can be used for alot years and can be configured HOW YOU WANT IT

-ive even got a cree cob led light bar that cost me peanuts. And u can switch out the cobs inside if any fail. Or the driver.

-BLURPLE led fixtures on the other hand not a chance. I tried to open one to look inside and they had cemented the screws in and they twisted off when u turned them

But nobody who switched from hps to leds did so by switching to blurple.

They went for full spectrum led like qb or cobs.

A lb of triple A underground in Alberta sells for 1400- 1800 bucks canadian.
If you can do 3 lbs a grow dry with 4 plants and 2000 watts of quantum board lighting 3 times a year that's 9lbs x 1500 = 13,500 a year.

If you don't have to change out that board for 50,000 hours about five years that's 67,500 cad off of 2000 watts of quantum boards you paid 2-4 grand for.
So at the end of the day the cost is just peanuts even if you had to replace the entire fixture every 5 years

Add all the electricity you save and quality bud grown with full spectrum I dont see how its logically possibly to ignore leds as a top contender when choosing a light

I dont think environmentally friendly has ever been a selling point for led.
I've certainly never heard any experienced grower suggest thst to me.

Your comparing led to hps like all led is the same. Blurple, cob and quantum boards are worlds apart.

Hlg, cree cobs and other high quality companies lights definately live up to their rated power, and efficiency as you can see from the grow journals and youtube videos.

-600 to 1000 watt hps give immense heat and suck back the power adding to your powerbill

-you need air cooled hoods to keep heat down or a very good exhaust system which can be costly

-you gotta change the bulb every grow or two to keep the lights output above 80% and good bulbs can be costly and if your an mh fan boy theres some more cost switching bulbs from veg to flower.

-quantum boards can give more output at 480 watts vs a 600 watt hps

-the coverage is more direct and even

-the spectrum can mimic the sun better than most hps bulbs.

To say led dont hold a candle to hps is straight up ridiculous.
They not only hold a candle, they are better in lots of ways.
If you factor in all costs.

I'm growing with both led and hps. I'm not on either side of the fence.
I'm on the side that grows quality dope

I dont care if I get there with hps or led.
Seem
-if u had a reasonable priced quantum board. And one led chip goes out. The rest still work.
-the rest of your fixture can be used for alot years and can be configured HOW YOU WANT IT

-ive even got a cree cob led light bar that cost me peanuts. And u can switch out the cobs inside if any fail. Or the driver.

-BLURPLE led fixtures on the other hand not a chance. I tried to open one to look inside and they had cemented the screws in and they twisted off when u turned them

If you can do 3 lbs a grow dry with 4 plants and 2000 watts of quantum board lighting 3 times a year that's 9lbs x 1500 = 13,500 a year.

If you don't have to change out that board for 50,000 hours about five years that's 67,500 cad off of 2000 watts of quantum boards you paid 2-4 grand for.
So at the end of the day the cost is just peanuts even if you had to replace the entire fixture every 5 years

Add all the electricity you save and quality bud grown with full spectrum I dont see how its logically possibly to ignore leds as a top contender when choosing a light
I love how you try to make it seem like you know more than you do. First off sounds like your selling something, LED's right now do not last five years, maybe two years at most. When an LED breaks down, whether it is cob or blurple, you have to replace it. Yammering out numbers and saying it is fact just does not fly with me. More so DIY companies are financially conning people out of money for the purpose of flying the flag, Hey bro, what company you work for? More so, you talk well , your sales pitch sucks though.

and still I ask, How long do LED's last?

Seem

I love how you try to make it seem like you know more than you do. First off sounds like your selling something, LED's right now do not last five years, maybe two years at most. When an LED breaks down, whether it is cob or blurple, you have to replace it. Yammering out numbers and saying it is fact just does not fly with me. More so DIY companies are financially conning people out of money for the purpose of flying the flag, Hey bro, what company you work for? More so, you talk well , your sales pitch sucks though.
It makes it look like I'm selling something because I know the price of weed of the province I live in and how much it cost before it became legal at dispensaries and I can do the math of a ten year old with a calculator?

And I'm not trying to change your mind stud I give a fuck what you grow with. You made the statement led dont hold a candle to hps.

That statement alone is proven wrong 1000 times over in many grow diaries and youtube vids.

I'm not looking for an agreement or disagreement with you.

Just trying to give the OP a better understanding of what his options are rather than
" I grow with hps, hps is best, grow like me, all other lights are stupid"

Glad you like hps. And that it works for you. Good luck

It makes it look like I'm selling something because I know the price of weed of the province I live in and how much it cost before it became legal at dispensaries and I can do the math of a ten year old with a calculator?

And I'm not trying to change your mind stud I give a fuck what you grow with. You made the statement led dont hold a candle to hps.

That statement alone is proven wrong 1000 times over in many grow diaries and youtube vids.

I'm not looking for an agreement or disagreement with you.

Just trying to give the OP a better understanding of what his options are rather than
" I grow with hps, hps is best, grow like me, all other lights are stupid"

Glad you like hps. And that it works for you. Good luck
I am not saying you are selling weed, I was asking which retailer that sells LEDs do you work for. Next time invest more time into reading what someone is posting instead of planning your next response.

I am not saying you are selling weed, I was asking which retailer that sells LEDs do you work for. Next time invest more time into reading what someone is posting instead of planning your next response.
Invest more time in reading what someone else is posting? Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black?

I've previously stated I'm growing with blurple, cree cobs, and hps.

And gave about 8 different options for lighting from all types of leds to companies.

I'm not a fanboy of any one thing.
I'm using 3 different types of lighting. Keeping a grow journal. And documenting which had better success.

So, anyone have their led's over five years, do they still work at full capacity? Anyone?
Not I but I don't doubt that I will. I have an hlg 600. And as @MackMurder stated I can easily replace a board for about the same cost as a decent hps bulb. Now this is an assumption but very likely I will spend less money replacing boards as needed than hps bulbs as required.

This is not true of all led units but for the more top of the line it is.

The cheap preassembled units I have no use for

Different strokes for different folks. Cheap LEDs give the good ones a bad name. I would not think twice about using HID if it fit my requirements. You are all right and all making valid points.

Get a light that suites your needs and you will be more successful than buying one that doesn't.

Invest more time in reading what someone else is posting? Isnt that the pot calling the kettle black?

I've previously stated I'm growing with blurple, cree cobs, and hps.

And gave about 8 different options for lighting from all types of leds to companies.

I'm not a fanboy of any one thing.
I'm using 3 different types of lighting. Keeping a grow journal. And documenting which had better success.
Yet you echoing every statement every LED company states, all talking points with no substance. You are throwing out numbers based on theoretical capabilities, instead of actual practice, at least when it comes to LED's. I personally have not seen better production from LED's. As far as fanboy, your own words betray you on that.

Latest Cannabis Seeds

Strawberry Sorbet
Sold out

Strawberry Sorbet

DNA Genetics
Heirloom Swiss Sativa x Sorbet
Feminized
Limited
$85.00
Sorbet Stash

Sorbet Stash

DNA Genetics