HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Nope you dont i know many that run them at fixed heights. But your right you can fuether increase efficiency by adjusting heights if you desire.
adjusting lights are for tents tho dont you think. can you imagine working around the leds at head height

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

and id be stupid to disagree, my point was that you cant run led at the ceiling, you need to keep adjusting as they grow. which adds hassles and time that could have gone to the plants

anyone who would lose time or money to this would simply install an automated system that raises and lowers your lights with an electric switch

and those gavita's I linked are meant to be hung at exact same specifications as HPS

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

But basically it boils down to the right light for the job and the preference of the grower. I know id never judge an experienced grower by their light… when you have a grower who has dialed everything in over years of experience… why would they want to start all over again? and thats the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

beyond any doubt some growers produce much better results under HPS over LED.… the argument is very subjective. But from a purely scientific and mathematical standpoint LED has the potential to out perform HID. Especially with the ability to manipulate spectrum. But that does not mean that LED will grow better weed or vice versa

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

adjusting lights are for tents tho dont you think. can you imagine working around the leds at head height
Nope thats why almost all lights can be daisy chained and adjusted with a single output for all lights. You hang at your finishing height and adjust intensity as needed… also some HID have this ability to more limited extent

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

But basically it boils down to the right light for the job and the preference of the grower. I know id never just an experienced grower by their light… when you have a grower who has dialed everything in over years of experience… why would they want to start all over again? and thats the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

beyond any doubt some growers produce much better results under HPS over LED.… the argument is very subjective. But from a purely scientific and mathematical standpoint LED has the potential to out perform HID. Especially with the ability to manipulate spectrum. But that does not mean that LED will grow better weed or vice versa

I feel like most that struggle with LED are also coming from years and years of using MH or HPS and it's really a different mindset with different problems and environmental/nutritional demands.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I feel like most that struggle with LED are also coming from years and years of using MH or HPS and it's really a different mindset with different problems and environmental/nutritional demands.
You 100% correct brother… and i dont blame them for not wanting the hassle to change while maintaining deadlines and weights

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

and those gavita's I linked are meant to be hung at exact same specifications as HPS
ive read the marketing, my only concern is the wide optics, if its anything like the cob wide optic well then....the par map will show you whether or not they work well. id be sold on led if they have solved the light angle issue.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

ive read the marketing, my only concern is the wide optics, if its anything like the cob wide optic well then....the par map will show you whether or not they work well. id be sold on led if they have solved the light angle issue.

MIGRO actually does a video that compares the par maps etc of them. My honest opinion? They compare a bit better to standard HPS lights but they are marketed to help the MH/HPS commercial growers to transition without having to drastically change things.

You'd be far better off buying some high quality BAR style LED's and getting them all daisy chained, hooked up to a master controller, and on automated adjusters. You get much, much better par spread and umol/m2 with traditional LEDs.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

MIGRO actually does a video that compares the par maps etc of them. My honest opinion? They compare a bit better to standard HPS lights but they are marketed to help the MH/HPS commercial growers to transition without having to drastically change things.

You'd be far better off buying some high quality BAR style LED's and getting them all daisy chained, hooked up to a master controller, and on automated adjusters. You get much, much better par spread and umol/m2 with traditional LEDs.
Thats an option at a very large cost.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

the struggle largely has been cost over time. in regards to the gavita ct2000e. did you check the price attached to it? multiply it with your 6 lights per 10x15 room and multiply that by another room or two.. then hps starts making more sense to the people spending the money, with the cost saving over time for led vs short term profits on hid. the upfront investment is the issue. if you cant get an operation going to perpetual harvest then whats the point using hps or led to get there doesnt matter. upgrades can always come later.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

who are funding these us facilities black market money? honestly i dont know. around my parts you are paying millions on the license itself and that just to grow, export is another process

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

who are funding these us facilities black market money? honestly i dont know. around my parts you are paying millions on the license itself and that just to grow, export is another process

What you spend up front with LED, you make up for many times over the course of a 4-5 year operation. There are breakdowns and videos on this that you can look up.

I'm not a commercial grower so I can't really speak on that side of things. I just grow in what little space I can find in my house. But I do know that it was a no brainer when comparing LED to any other light tech. You might spend $500 vs $150 to get your light set up, but you are saving money on reduced electricity costs every month and less bulb replacements etc.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

What you spend up front with LED, you make up for many times over the course of a 4-5 year operation. There are breakdowns and videos on this that you can look up.
agree some investments like return sooner. im always down for more info if you have links.
You might spend $500 vs $150 to get your light set up, but you are saving money on reduced electricity costs every month and less bulb replacements etc.
yes electric cost reduced by varying percentage based on led tech. clear winner. usually(with quality) you are not replacing them every year or 4000 hrs as someone mentioned, the reflector loses efficiency after a year and they surely need replacement

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

agree some investments like return sooner. im always down for more info if you have links.

yes electric cost reduced by varying percentage based on led tech. clear winner. usually(with quality) you are not replacing them every year or 4000 hrs as someone mentioned, the reflector loses efficiency after a year and they surely need replacement

the very first MIGRO video I posted here goes over the year by year running costs as an example

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

the very first MIGRO video I posted here goes over the year by year running costs as an example
me still disagreeing on the 600w replacing 1000w hid coverage when using multiple lights and gavida evidently agreeing as they released a 750 as direct replacement. cant use the migro chart as its based on 600w fixtures.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

me still disagreeing on the 600w replacing 1000w hid coverage when using multiple lights and gavida evidently agreeing as they released a 750 as direct replacement. cant use the migro chart as its based on 600w fixtures.

My 600w to 1000w was a rough example. I don't know the direct correlations but you can see that it is not 1:1, you require much less wattage of LED to produce much more usable light compared to MH, HPS, or CMH.

Every light will be different based on many factors.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

The cost per watt doesn't magically change from 600 to 1000w HPS? You can do some math...I feel like you're not being as resourceful as you're capable of :)

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

I don't know the direct correlations but you can see that it is not 1:1
this i agree with and stated in my opening argument, led vs hps 1 on 1 is a no brainer. as these setups are usually done in tents where led claims of coverage actually manifest on the real world
, you require much less wattage of LED to produce much more usable light compared to MH, HPS, or CMH.
definitely
Every light will be different based on many factors.
but none of them really have reflection thus require more fixtures this is my only remaining concern.

Top Bottom