HPS light superior vs current led tech?

• Thread starter DIYDanny
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

@Shaded_One im trying to form a basis for my argument for led upgrades from hid by playing on the side of hid. debating strategy. thanks for your input tho why last message this argument is pretty much done just need run figures based on estimates

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

you would be shitting yourself regardless. this is why people are switching to solar facilities or converting
also having an idea of the profit margin of these facilities will help you understand why they dont really care. untill marketing convinces them otherwise
Well, the average OZ in Michigan today is running at $99. You can pick up discount OZ for as little as $49. So using average figures that $99 OZ cost $3.53 per gram. So yes, as the market matures there is significant reason to consider energy costs at all levels of the facility when your ability to survive is measured by how cheap you can produce a gram of cannabis and still make a profit.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Well, the average OZ in Michigan today is running at $99. You can pick up discount OZ for as little as $49. So using average figures that $99 OZ cost $3.53 per gram. So yes, as the market matures there is significant reason to consider energy costs at all levels of the facility when your ability to survive is measured by how cheap you can produce a gram of cannabis and still make a profit.
you guys voted for this, legalization, and this was always what it would come to
decriminalization rec with legal medical was another option to fight for. but thats a whole other thread

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

you guys voted for this, legalization and this was always what it would come to
Michigan is not unique. It's the same everywhere there's a matured legal rec market. There's far more flower available than there are people looking to buy it. Prices crash and only the strong survive. If you want a good picture of what NOT TO DO, look at Canadian Company, Aurora Cannabis.

MedicalHydroponics

MedicalHydroponics

Why are HPS buds bigger and greener than led?
If led is so much better and brighter than Hps why are they so close to the plants?

If led has such a better light output why aren’t they spaced 4-5ft away and 5ft off the canopy like double ended HPS lights are?

Why does LED take 1-2wks longer to veg than MH or even T5?

In indoor cannabis time is everything, extra time cost you an extra harvest per year.

Could be comparing apples to cucumbers here I’m just saying.

How many lights are on a led light to equal (1)1,000w bulb? Just saying it takes (1) Hps/MH bulb to do what it does.

I do think some of my words were taken out of context of what I wrote. Didn’t say Hps was more efficient just said LED’s aren’t what they claim wattage or 20-30% more efficient than HPS.

Kind of like buying old car amplifiers it said 1000 W and only put out 100w with 5% THD.

I’ve been working with led from year 2000 in construction. They would go out then still go out now usually a bulb or too, happens in automotive as well. Easier to replace a HPS/MH bulb, then the whole fixture of a LED

Commercial growers are going LED for the rebates most go bankrupt and out of business all the time pre madonna fly by night pop ups. The bigger the square footage, the higher, the taxes and overhead..

Just my opinion and thoughts, I don’t have a need for led or EV car or Solar.
Everyone has different needs use what makes you happy.
The grower makes the biggest difference period.

rDWCNoob

rDWCNoob

The cost per watt doesn't magically change from 600 to 1000w HPS? You can do some math...I feel like you're not being as resourceful as you're capable of :)
no, but the added par output makes all the difference. You dont get that with a $500 led. To match the par output of a good 1000w hps you need something like the gavita that runs 750w still, and theyre expensive, as are most others that put out that kind of par. A 480w light bar isnt really an apples to apples to apples comparison in terms of up front costs, or light output.

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

no, but the added par output makes all the difference. You dont get that with a $500 led. To match the par output of a good 1000w hps you need something like the gavita that runs 750w still, and theyre expensive, as are most others that put out that kind of par. A 480w light bar isnt really an apples to apples to apples comparison in terms of up front costs, or light output.
i was about to run estimate of expense recovery upgrading to gavita led from gavita pro wide fixtures. then i multiplied the 2k price tag vat excluded on the 1700 led v2 model for a flowering room that consist of 6 fixtures. 12k vat ex per room ? im not making this back in one year no matter what other savings come as a result of the switch to led.
meanwhile the hid has been producing 4 harvest of similar (or better up for debate as well) quality and quantity

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Not at those prices.

I use the Grower's Choice ROI-E720 fixture. It's similar to the Gavita 1700 in a lot of ways. They retail for about $1000. Volume discounts would be less. So if you're paying up to 3 times more for the same light, its going to take you significantly longer to pay for themselves.

MedicalHydroponics

MedicalHydroponics

i was about to run estimate of expense recovery upgrading to gavita led from gavita pro wide fixtures. then i multiplied the 2k price tag vat excluded on the 1700 led v2 model for a flowering room that consist of 6 fixtures. 12k vat ex per room ? im not making this back in one year no matter what other savings come as a result of the switch to led.
meanwhile the hid has been producing 4 harvest of similar (or better up for debate as well) quality and quantity
You can conserve on lights with 1 light per High quality mover. Something to consider. (1)1,000w Hid MH on a mover can veg a 8ft by 10ft space 5ft high of plants. You can put leds on movers too, just like anything get the best the market has to offer than fits you wallet.
1 light on a mover can do a 5ft x 10ft canopy in flower easy.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

You should also look at the temp differences required for a HPS room to LEd room, LED's require 5-7 degrees increase in room temps from lack of infra-red, or a rise in PPM concentration with the lower leaf surface temps under LED's. All cost to be considered when growing
Not arguing for or against either of the Lighting options, It's more about grower talent than what lighting you are using.

H

hydrodreams

From the people that I know who went with LED in some way, the ones who are satisfied the most are the ones who mix hps and led to get the best out of both worlds...The ones who did only LED not so much....

I feel like if you want to go with led's only you will have to do the whole package of CO2 supplementation, sealed room etc. if you want really good results in rooms with 10 fixturess or more. The commercial companies do this anyway.

H

hydrodreams

Good video

I was under the impression that vaporation under led is higher only because you reduce the outtake rate of the ventilation in order to get a higher temperature. But in the video he states that with the increased amounts of blue light in led the stomatas of the plants leaves open more and therefore evaporate more. Is defoliation in led more widespread than in hps to counter that problem?

GreenGalaxyFarm

GreenGalaxyFarm

Is defoliation in led more widespread than in hps to counter that problem?
this would be interesting to know for me as well. i'm finding that, under hps inputs, we require decent amount defo already.

K

KenKenaf

Good video

I was under the impression that vaporation under led is higher only because you reduce the outtake rate of the ventilation in order to get a higher temperature. But in the video he states that with the increased amounts of blue light in led the stomatas of the plants leaves open more and therefore evaporate more. Is defoliation in led more widespread than in hps to counter that problem?

I would ignore that debacco guy. I don't see people growing with enough blue since blurples got "cash for clunkered" (convinced someone demonized then bought up all those good blurple spectrums). Everyone is under 3-3500K led which suck and don't let the plant transpire, so..

You should also look at the temp differences required for a HPS room to LEd room, LED's require 5-7 degrees increase in room temps from lack of infra-red, or a rise in PPM concentration with the lower leaf surface temps under LED's.
Heat isn't the issue. Most white leds lack usable red. Heat is a bandaid to get P flowing because it falls on the IR spectrum, but much higher than 630-830 which the plant actually wants.

20230205 095853

17% 660 diodes. With 5K chips for blue. Next year's model will have even less white/green/yellow and dedicated 460nm. One step closer to acceptable. Closer to blurple lol.

Waiting on science? Yeah, that's why Oak Island had a billion episodes lol. Fuck the led industry. The first brand to put a decent spectrum out with a veg/bloom switch must have been threatened by the led mafia. There's no reason for all these useless 3000K lights with no red and no blue.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

I would ignore that debacco guy. I don't see people growing with enough blue since blurples got "cash for clunkered" (convinced someone demonized then bought up all those good blurple spectrums). Everyone is under 3-3500K led which suck and don't let the plant transpire, so..

Heat isn't the issue. Most white leds lack usable red. Heat is a bandaid to get P flowing because it falls on the IR spectrum, but much higher than 630-830 which the plant actually wants.

View attachment 1327496

17% 660 diodes. With 5K chips for blue. Next year's model will have even less white/green/yellow and dedicated 460nm. One step closer to acceptable. Closer to blurple lol.

Waiting on science? Yeah, that's why Oak Island had a billion episodes lol. Fuck the led industry. The first brand to put a decent spectrum out with a veg/bloom switch must have been threatened by the led mafia. There's no reason for all these useless 3000K lights with no red and no blue.

Thought you got banned. Guess not 🙄

Still waiting to see pics of your plants.

MidwestToker

MidwestToker

View attachment 1327496

20190305 055023

Do you not see 660's and reds and far reds in those fixtures ?

Top Bottom