Hps? Or Mh For Flowers?iesfied Quality

• Thread starter chillywilly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BioStimz

BioStimz

Cmh ftmfw!

And added uva and uvb. Works too good. Im.having to swap out my panda film floor every veg run due to the uva/uvb. It makes the floor super brittle and cracks, and tears very easily. But the plants LOVE it!
Supplemental UVB has some solid research supporting the technique. I’ll never go without it, but what does the added UVA do?

~

chillywilly

chillywilly

Greetings,
Part of the set...the big one sk450 with the white/blue and pure red on the panel, the other is a 20w red...
IMG 20170807 085446
IMG 20170807 085226

chillywilly

chillywilly

The uv colors are usually the blue, purple parts of the lighting spectrum that assist the oil/trichome production and enhances flavor/aroma...other than what nutrients are used...
cw

chillywilly

chillywilly

Well this has been my observation of HPS buds... flowers grow very tight sometime blocking where the glands would be...many of the flowers in my production are lighter, fluffy, but area for full development... In nature cannabis does not grow as indoors...we basically replicating the spectrum of the sun, and plants have a natural structure... remember back in the day MH was king and everyone was using, then HPS came on the scene and became the main lighting source...in the early eighties when this was going on the indoor bud from California was wispy but crystalized madness and flavors and highs were sharp and pronounced... nowadays seem bland and boring big chunky buds...I'm only med grade grower with patients that look for real medicine...lot of folks tired of some of what's going on now...
cw

BioStimz

BioStimz

Well this has been my observation of HPS buds... flowers grow very tight sometime blocking where the glands would be...many of the flowers in my production are lighter, fluffy, but area for full development... In nature cannabis does not grow as indoors...we basically replicating the spectrum of the sun, and plants have a natural structure... remember back in the day MH was king and everyone was using, then HPS came on the scene and became the main lighting source...in the early eighties when this was going on the indoor bud from California was wispy but crystalized madness and flavors and highs were sharp and pronounced...

nowadays seem bland and boring big chunky buds.
It sounds like you just need to shop for better genetics my friend.... it's not the lighting.

~

DemonTrich

DemonTrich

Supplemental UVB has some solid research supporting the technique. I’ll never go without it, but what does the added UVA do?

~

Replicates the sun bit better. Uva/uvb shown to add more trichs in flower. Ill swap out my flower bulbs for my veg bulbs the last 2 weeks flower.

chillywilly

chillywilly

I have plenty of genetics, not enough time to do them...peace
cw

BioStimz

BioStimz

I have plenty of genetics, not enough time to do them.
Then you'll likely be disappointed, because minor differences in spectrum between MH & HPS, aren't going to be enough to make any significant impact on trichome-density or terp-profiles. Just my 2 cents.

~

chillywilly

chillywilly

You're right on that because the plant will produce regardless of lightning which is genetics, but quality of that product will be slightly different...but say an organic grow of the two in separate rooms with lighting and check difference...as Demon Trichomes said that a high UV light used usually during last two weeks or so improves the trich coverage enhancing overall product...
cw

BioStimz

BioStimz

You're right on that because the plant will produce regardless of lightning which is genetics, but quality of that product will be slightly different.
Precisely.

So do you really think the slight difference will bring back the "crystallized madness" you were referring to?

~

chillywilly

chillywilly

Well not so much as crystallization but as into the quality of the product, many of the flowers I currently see and smoke are quite bland, but I've seen others that do smoke/taste better...again genetics play a big part... when I did C99, ths bubblegum, Hawaiian indica all had distinct flavors that I could not detect in the other lighting (HPS)...yet nutrients still puts in good place...
cw

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

Then you'll likely be disappointed, because minor differences in spectrum between MH & HPS, aren't going to be enough to make any significant impact on trichome-density or terp-profiles. Just my 2 cents.

~
This right here
IMO so many people try to improve the quality of their Grow with different nutes and new lights.
Yes going from cfl to an hid or proper led set up for I'll drastically change things. But if you're using a proper grow light. Be it led, hps, mh, lec, cmh...They are all capable of producing top tier meds. Period

It's the environment and genetics that need tweaking. Make sure you're genetics are top notch. Then spend all your resources on dialing in your environment.
Environment
Environment
Environment

That's my .02.

Thejoeybrown

Thejoeybrown

This right here
IMO so many people try to improve the quality of their Grow with different nutes and new lights.
Yes going from cfl to an hid or proper led set up for I'll drastically change things. But if you're using a proper grow light. Be it led, hps, mh, lec, cmh...They are all capable of producing top tier meds. Period

It's the environment and genetics that need tweaking. Make sure you're genetics are top notch. Then spend all your resources on dialing in your environment.
Environment
Environment
Environment

That's my .02.
Also I wasn't trying to imply that there isn't improvements in lighting
And I know a lot of you are very established and experienced growers that have dialed their Grow like @DemonTrich for example and could tell you the differences he finds
My point is for a lot of the newer people. Focus all your energy on environment. Then work on tweaking the little details

It's like the guy who buys a performance exhaust for his bucket. Just don't make sense. Lol

chillywilly

chillywilly

True ,
But I found out long ago on lighting and quality of flowers at end result... effect or looks...
cw

H

heisen

In this order for quality
1 genetics
2 genetics
3 genetics
Did I mention genetics?
I have ran the same clones under cmh and HPS and MH all high quality shit and have seen little difference in trichome production and potency.
genetics play a key role.lower temp during end of flower will bring out trichs and may effect potency.

Cmh gets the upper hand overall on weight and colors.I think cmh is better than HPS overall and that' is from.having ran them all.
There is no.magic formula.start with fire clones and you can grow them under cfl and they are still gonna be fire.
Grow gorilla glue under cmh and HPS and cmh will probably outshine everything else on looks weight and color but I doubt the potency will be much difference

Top Bottom