I think ive actually made it to my first feed? WOW.

• Thread starter CosmoGrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Alright, Its like almost every night now im getting a girl thats thirsty. Im starting to keep track of dates that im watering them, so i can start getting them into watering cycles. i see how they start playing into a watering schedule now.

This is the next one on the waterboard block.
IMG 20191230 225005 1

IMG 20191230 224955 0

Going to grab something to eat, and then put her on the waterboard unless there is any rejections. I mainly just post a small update everynight before and after i water just incase anyone has any objections to what im doing lol.
This ones pretty wilting, if anyone rejects a watering you got about30 mins to speak lol.
REst of the garden is looking good. I wish the big girl recovered a little better, but, ill take whatever at this point. MY goal right now is just to get a plant to flower.
IMG 20191230 224945 6

My two newest, healthiest plants. The one on the right had a growth issue about a week ago, shes recovered well.

IMG 20191230 224937 8

Like i said i wasnt to insanely happy with how she recovered after this last watering. But, right now ill take whatever.
IMG 20191230 224928 1

Theres the family, ignore the dumb stunted autoflower i have growing. Its deficient in all sorts, it needs nutes and idek, i really just need it out of the tent. So im letting er go.
The rest are photoperiods.
Sorry, no out of light pictures, i dont like to remove all the plants from the tent and stuff, so im just keeping them in there.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

i recently had similar experience, where i couldn't get its watering right. my issue stemmed from using a 'premium' potting mix, which I wasn't familiar with. i had a decent harvest last year, in the same growing conditions, but i am using different potting mix than these previous grows. the seeds would become a healthy seedling, then wither. The issue lied with the potting mix, where it was too muddy. i thought it was a case of 'cold feet' where the soil mix didn't dry out evenly, thus not encouraging better root development. I added plenty of perlite to this premium potting mix, but there was no improvement.

the drastic action was to rip out all these sick plants from the old 'premium' potting mix, and to transplant & repot into a new potting mix. another potting mix which i am not familiar with. its only the 2nd week since this transplant, and these plants are recovering to full health. i didn't want to burn any more seeds, and also i wanted to see if i can rescue these sick puppies. If i sowed new seeds, it would have been quicker to get a bigger plant, maybe.

persistence is the main lesson. all these brickwalls and frustration will be worth it, when we get results. reading this thread has reassured me, that i am not alone in my struggles.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Alright, Its like almost every night now im getting a girl thats thirsty. Im starting to keep track of dates that im watering them, so i can start getting them into watering cycles. i see how they start playing into a watering schedule now.

This is the next one on the waterboard block.
View attachment 925819
View attachment 925820

Going to grab something to eat, and then put her on the waterboard unless there is any rejections. I mainly just post a small update everynight before and after i water just incase anyone has any objections to what im doing lol.
This ones pretty wilting, if anyone rejects a watering you got about30 mins to speak lol.
REst of the garden is looking good. I wish the big girl recovered a little better, but, ill take whatever at this point. MY goal right now is just to get a plant to flower.
View attachment 925826
My two newest, healthiest plants. The one on the right had a growth issue about a week ago, shes recovered well.

View attachment 925829
Like i said i wasnt to insanely happy with how she recovered after this last watering. But, right now ill take whatever.
View attachment 925830
Theres the family, ignore the dumb stunted autoflower i have growing. Its deficient in all sorts, it needs nutes and idek, i really just need it out of the tent. So im letting er go.
The rest are photoperiods.
Sorry, no out of light pictures, i dont like to remove all the plants from the tent and stuff, so im just keeping them in there.

You gotta try not to let them wilt. Maybe just the lowest leaves a bit as a tell.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
i recently had similar experience, where i couldn't get its watering right. my issue stemmed from using a 'premium' potting mix, which I wasn't familiar with. i had a decent harvest last year, in the same growing conditions, but i am using different potting mix than these previous grows. the seeds would become a healthy seedling, then wither. The issue lied with the potting mix, where it was too muddy. i thought it was a case of 'cold feet' where the soil mix didn't dry out evenly, thus not encouraging better root development. I added plenty of perlite to this premium potting mix, but there was no improvement.

the drastic action was to rip out all these sick plants from the old 'premium' potting mix, and to transplant & repot into a new potting mix. another potting mix which i am not familiar with. its only the 2nd week since this transplant, and these plants are recovering to full health. i didn't want to burn any more seeds, and also i wanted to see if i can rescue these sick puppies. If i sowed new seeds, it would have been quicker to get a bigger plant, maybe.

persistence is the main lesson. all these brickwalls and frustration will be worth it, when we get results. reading this thread has reassured me, that i am not alone in my struggles.

This is where i am at now, i mean, i know the soil i am working with, works. I mean like 75% of people i seen on here, grow in fox farm. So i know my soil is okay, and im fucking up somewhere, but i do feel like maybe im just not ready for fox farm or something. Im wondering if there is a more newb friendly soil. I recently just did a transplant into roots organics from fox farm. I know its a risky move but right now i dont really have anything to lose. I noticed roots organics soil is more airy, Im wondering if this will help some of my issues. Ill let you know how this turns out @Kampbe1l ! Glad you commented makes me feel better i am aswell not the only one who cant seem to get putting water on a plant correctly... LOL sounds so ridiculous.

You gotta try not to let them wilt. Maybe just the lowest leaves a bit as a tell.

I got you MiMed. Ive started somewhat tracking when ive watered my plants. My big girl got a watering on the 24th, and then again today on the 30th. That was 6 days and she started showing wilt. So i know on january 2nd-3rd, i need to start checking pot weight. because that will be about 3-5 days and she will start showing wilt on that 6th day. Im getting this. Ill slowly start to get these other girls on a routine also. I am tracking my other plants dates now too. Itake pics everyday and keep them in a google calendar type deal now. I should start getting the idea on the perfect day to water them. I know i have to consider how much the plant drinks etc, like as it gets bigger it drinks more, i know to watch out for that as it will shorten my days till next water.

Oh, i also know not to "schedule" my waterings, so im not doing that. im just tracking them, just keeping a log. im not setting dates for next waters. i know thats a bad idea.

I started measuring my water more, and keeping temperature. I water at 70 degrees even.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Tonight was the first night ive ever watered a plastic potted plant. ive always used fabric. This is my roots organics experiment, as i said before i know im being dumb and switching up my soil, i even transplanted from fox farm into roots organics, which i know, also probably dumb. But right now i dont have anything to lose, i have more seeds on stock now, i have soil, i have time for more. So i wanted to see how roots organics would play out with this plant and see if i can get something rolling off her. I am spending more time with each plant, really focusing on the soil and seeing how dry it is almost all the way through, i have like one on one sessions with them now, instead of filling a container with water and going nuts. I water each one with its own set amount of water. SO lets say i have a 3 gallon pot. I will only fill a 1 gallon container and then pour that one gallon container in my blue bucket to mix nutes if needed etc. This way i will not water with more than 1/3 of the pots weight(Like you said @Hidd3nGr0w ), i aim to water with 1/4 of the pots weight , but will leave extra water incase i need to hit edges, etc or come back to it. So as you can see, ALOT of changes really just on watering etiquette lol, and ive seen some huge improvements, it sucks being a crazy ADHD nut and having to be so calm and patient with this shit.

Heres a little log of the roots organics plants, i do like to have them posted here as it does give me dates incase i have to go back and look at something, i have them posted here as a reference, and people can input there opinion on how the plants look.
I honestly cant remember if this was before or after the watering. But this roots organics plastic potted plant got the watering. It the morning of the 31st of december, so i would guess this one to be ready for the next watering around the 4th or 5th. 2 Gallon pot.
IMG 20191231 003933 2 2

I am phing at 6.5.

IMG 20191231 003942 9

This is the roots organics soil, i like it alot so far, but i wont be able to tell its performance until i know im watering everything correctly. I know roots organics is a proven working soil so its all up to me to make it work.
I didnt even add any perlite, this soil is pretty loaded. i like it, this is what i grew my first harvest in.

I know its surprising, but at one point,cosmo really did grow some plants. LOL^^

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is where i am at now, i mean, i know the soil i am working with, works. I mean like 75% of people i seen on here, grow in fox farm. So i know my soil is okay, and im fucking up somewhere, but i do feel like maybe im just not ready for fox farm or something. Im wondering if there is a more newb friendly soil. I recently just did a transplant into roots organics from fox farm. I know its a risky move but right now i dont really have anything to lose. I noticed roots organics soil is more airy, Im wondering if this will help some of my issues. Ill let you know how this turns out @Kampbe1l ! Glad you commented makes me feel better i am aswell not the only one who cant seem to get putting water on a plant correctly... LOL sounds so ridiculous.

I got you MiMed. Ive started somewhat tracking when ive watered my plants. My big girl got a watering on the 24th, and then again today on the 30th. That was 6 days and she started showing wilt. So i know on january 2nd-3rd, i need to start checking pot weight. because that will be about 3-5 days and she will start showing wilt on that 6th day. Im getting this. Ill slowly start to get these other girls on a routine also. I am tracking my other plants dates now too. Itake pics everyday and keep them in a google calendar type deal now. I should start getting the idea on the perfect day to water them. I know i have to consider how much the plant drinks etc, like as it gets bigger it drinks more, i know to watch out for that as it will shorten my days till next water.

Oh, i also know not to "schedule" my waterings, so im not doing that. im just tracking them, just keeping a log. im not setting dates for next waters. i know thats a bad idea.

I started measuring my water more, and keeping temperature. I water at 70 degrees even.

You really have a complicated way of looking at this. :-)

Water 68-72 is said to be ideal. Mines like 66.

And i get what you are saying. I keep a note for every time i feed or water every individual plant. It be omes a pile of poster notes on a desk blotter. I can review what has been done and any notes i made. Plants are all different sized and harvest and planting are perpetual every 2 weeks usually 10 days on average. Lotta notes.

But when i open the veg tent or walk in the flower room i just pick up the pots. If they are alarmingly light (or feel like a pot filled with fresh soil from the bin) i water until i see 20% runoff and i meter the first cup every time to have consistancy and monitor trends. The second cup of runoff (actually a kitchen measuring cup) i like to see mostly clearish while feeding. If its real yellow or worse brown might be time for watwr only next time. Dont add to the mess rinse some out.

If the pot seems a little heavy wait a day bit of the leaves droop harshly down during that cycle you went too far.

Its a feel thing. I check with a moisture probe but it needs to read really dry about 3/4 down in ocean forest and come out of the dirt clean when the pot is dry enough for best results in my opinion.

Sorry for babbling. I am very high.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
You really have a complicated way of looking at this. :-)

Water 68-72 is said to be ideal. Mines like 66.

And i get what you are saying. I keep a note for every time i feed or water every individual plant. It be omes a pile of poster notes on a desk blotter. I can review what has been done and any notes i made. Plants are all different sized and harvest and planting are perpetual every 2 weeks usually 10 days on average. Lotta notes.

But when i open the veg tent or walk in the flower room i just pick up the pots. If they are alarmingly light (or feel like a pot filled with fresh soil from the bin) i water until i see 20% runoff and i meter the first cup every time to have consistancy and monitor trends. The second cup of runoff (actually a kitchen measuring cup) i like to see mostly clearish while feeding. If its real yellow or worse brown might be time for watwr only next time. Dont add to the mess rinse some out.

If the pot seems a little heavy wait a day bit of the leaves droop harshly down during that cycle you went too far.

Its a feel thing. I check with a moisture probe but it needs to read really dry about 3/4 down in ocean forest and come out of the dirt clean when the pot is dry enough for best results in my opinion.

Sorry for babbling. I am very high.
I am complicated about everything. Its horrible, and i wish i wasnt the way i am. But it is what it is, and i unfortunately have to work with it. LOL.
I always appreciate the info Mimed, It might be a babble to you, where its useful knowledge for someone whose not as educated, my posts, even this one if full of my babble, it helps. I could only imagine all the work to harvesting every 2 weeks. LOL. I will eventually get this "feel and know" type stuff after awhile of doing this. When that comes, i wont need all the logging and notes im doing. and it wont sound so complicated and crazy.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I am complicated about everything. Its horrible, and i wish i wasnt the way i am. But it is what it is, and i unfortunately have to work with it. LOL.
I always appreciate the info Mimed, It might be a babble to you, where its useful knowledge for someone whose not as educated, my posts, even this one if full of my babble, it helps. I could only imagine all the work to harvesting every 2 weeks. LOL. I will eventually get this "feel and know" type stuff after awhile of doing this. When that comes, i wont need all the logging and notes im doing. and it wont sound so complicated and crazy.

Notes are good.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Getting things to click in your brain: plants need water = Give plants water.
Getting things to click in cosmos brain: Plants need water = Climb 7 mountains, purify the mountain air, magically turn the clouds into water dust(is that even a thing, loool), convert that to ice, ph the ice, melt the water into lava, convert into plutonium, melt it back into water, and give it to the plants.

Yeah, it sucks. But it wont be like this one day for me lol. Its just the curve of learning.

Hidd3nGr0w

Hidd3nGr0w

Tonight was the first night ive ever watered a plastic potted plant. ive always used fabric. This is my roots organics experiment, as i said before i know im being dumb and switching up my soil, i even transplanted from fox farm into roots organics, which i know, also probably dumb. But right now i dont have anything to lose, i have more seeds on stock now, i have soil, i have time for more. So i wanted to see how roots organics would play out with this plant and see if i can get something rolling off her. I am spending more time with each plant, really focusing on the soil and seeing how dry it is almost all the way through, i have like one on one sessions with them now, instead of filling a container with water and going nuts. I water each one with its own set amount of water. SO lets say i have a 3 gallon pot. I will only fill a 1 gallon container and then pour that one gallon container in my blue bucket to mix nutes if needed etc. This way i will not water with more than 1/3 of the pots weight(Like you said @Hidd3nGr0w ), i aim to water with 1/4 of the pots weight , but will leave extra water incase i need to hit edges, etc or come back to it. So as you can see, ALOT of changes really just on watering etiquette lol, and ive seen some huge improvements, it sucks being a crazy ADHD nut and having to be so calm and patient with this shit.

Heres a little log of the roots organics plants, i do like to have them posted here as it does give me dates incase i have to go back and look at something, i have them posted here as a reference, and people can input there opinion on how the plants look.
I honestly cant remember if this was before or after the watering. But this roots organics plastic potted plant got the watering. It the morning of the 31st of december, so i would guess this one to be ready for the next watering around the 4th or 5th. 2 Gallon pot. View attachment 925838

I am phing at 6.5.

View attachment 925839
This is the roots organics soil, i like it alot so far, but i wont be able to tell its performance until i know im watering everything correctly. I know roots organics is a proven working soil so its all up to me to make it work.
I didnt even add any perlite, this soil is pretty loaded. i like it, this is what i grew my first harvest in.
View attachment 925841View attachment 925842
I know its surprising, but at one point,cosmo really did grow some plants. LOL^^

Hey Cozmo, one thing to remember on this schedule. Do Not water this time with a gallon, its 2 pints.
Remember Heavy water is 1/4 to 1/3 pot capacity, your next water is 2 pints (or 2 water bottles) in a 3 gallon pot.
Like this, Monday heavy water, count 4 days, Friday you should check the weight of pot. Water with no more than 2 water bottles if it feels light, 1 if it only feels somewhat lighter. Count 4 days again, Tuesday next week, time to check again, and again water with no more than 2 water bottles (2 pints) count 4 days again, you should be ready for another heavy water (1 gal) and start all over again.

After this first cycle, you should have a good feel for the pot weight, The number of days between waters may change as the plant starts to thrive getting down to every 2 days, and with some plants every day, watering with one or two water bottles (1 or 2 pints), but the heavy water (1/4 to 1/3 pot capacity) will always remain once every 2 weeks, with a 4 day rest after, then picking back up with water bottle waterings till the next heavy water.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Hey Cozmo, one thing to remember on this schedule. Do Not water this time with a gallon, its 2 pints.
Remember Heavy water is 1/4 to 1/3 pot capacity, your next water is 2 pints (or 2 water bottles) in a 3 gallon pot.
Like this, Monday heavy water, count 4 days, Friday you should check the weight of pot. Water with no more than 2 water bottles if it feels light, 1 if it only feels somewhat lighter. Count 4 days again, Tuesday next week, time to check again, and again water with no more than 2 water bottles (2 pints) count 4 days again, you should be ready for another heavy water (1 gal) and start all over again.

After this first cycle, you should have a good feel for the pot weight, The number of days between waters may change as the plant starts to thrive getting down to every 2 days, and with some plants every day, watering with one or two water bottles (1 or 2 pints), but the heavy water (1/4 to 1/3 pot capacity) will always remain once every 2 weeks, with a 4 day rest after, then picking back up with water bottle waterings till the next heavy water.

Why? Best to water consistently with runoff each time in my opinion. Especially when fertilizing. The dry cycle is very important.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
Have a Great 2020......GREAT...sry
2020 is starting off well. Hopefully its the same for everyone else. Wanted to pop back in and update a little. tonight i learned the importance of starting of good from the get go. I will start a plant off decent, and then i will overwater it, or underwater it, or just generally not water it correctly. Once this happens, i begin to get problems and then im just chasing problems the whole rest of the grow. Tonight i had a new seedling/young veg plant that needed to be watered. one of my new plastic potted plants. its currently in a one gallon, and i started it off in a seed pod, and then transferred to a one gallon. It was about the 22nd the day i transplanted her from the seed pod, to the one gallon plastic pot with FFOF/50% Perlite mix. I let her go about 8-9 days before being watered again. Tonight, i watered her with about a quarter gallon of water, roughly. What i did was i filled my green watering can full, which holds roughly a half gallon of water, and i poured about 1/3rd of the can all around the plant, flooding the top. Allowing some soil to push up, allowing the water to seep in under it all. I let it really sink in for about 10 minutes WITHOUT a drop of runoff. I knew it was about 8-9 days, so i knew she really needed water and she probably just intook all the water i just gave her, hence the reason for no run off right away. I already noticed that the plastic was helping keeping my water in, and helping the plant absorb the water instead of all my water running out of the sides of the pot. So anyways, knowing i didnt have any run off right away, i knew i needed a little bit more. I once again, flooded the top, but i flooded it evenly. Once again allowing the soil to kind of "stir up" in a way, and the water really seeped through well. I watched run off come out of the bottom, it continued to run off for a good 5-10 minutes, just a little drip though. I didnt have alot of run off, but i had a little. So i stopped there. Its been about 4 hours, and shes already responded wayyyyyy better than what my plants normally do 4 hours after a water. Shes looking good, i think im going to like this plastic pot deal. it seems a little more straightforward, im not misgauging how much water i am giving the plant because of the pouring out of the sides of the pot.
IMG 20200101 221247 0

This picture is 4 hours after the water. Normally by now, my plant is curled up, and looks completely pissed off. So this is so far, so good. I think i may have a decent watering habit down now. I am using about 1/3 of the pots weight in water,but am watering till run off. My new years resolution is to get to flower. I think i can get there now.

Unfortunately, big girl isnt doing to well. This is what i am talking about how i feel like once i am on a bad start, it just makes the grow harder and more frustrating. i feel like i just need to be on my game 100% from the get-go.
IMG 20200101 231233 6

Unfortunately, alot of my bigger plants are wrecked from my old-bad watering habits, so now i have to start over again with my new methods which seem to be working. I feel like i am just chasing a 24/7 sick plant right now, shes not getting better. You can say shes still overwatered, but i wont agree because i have been very careful with this one, and i know how much i need to water this one, i believe its root damage thats irreversible. I am no pro, so i could be wrong but this is my opinion. My newer plants are looking well with my new habits, and they are not root damaged.

Asking for experienced help i guess:

Here is an idea, maybe you guys might have an opinion on listen close... i dont have any big plants except the one. My goal is to harvest 6 at once, i know, big goal for a new guy. I currently have 7 plants in the garden.

1 autoflower which will be removed.
6 photoperiods.

Out of the 6 photoperiods, 4 are pretty damaged, including the big girl. They are stunted from being overwatered, and i am just chasing issues with them.
I have 6 new seeds. Would it be dumb to trash the damaged plants, and replace them with healthy plants that i start off good from the get go, so i am not chasing problems the whole grow? They are about 10 inches tall a piece, with new healthy plants, i could get that 10 inches back in like 2 weeks. Am i better off just starting over healthy, or should i continue to try and save these girls, which are pretty full of issues?

I know, alot of words for us stoners. Lol, id love other peoples opinions on whether i should just start over in a way, and replace the bad plants with good plants. Would i get to flower quicker that way, instead of just chasing issues? Everytime i water, i just stunt them and damage them some more i feel like, they arent really moving at full speed, nor even half speed. MY healthy plants are moving very quickly.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

.... I feel like i am just chasing a 24/7 sick plant right now, shes not getting better. You can say shes still overwatered, but i wont agree because i have been very careful with this one, and i know how much i need to water this one, i believe its root damage thats irreversible. I am no pro, so i co

whether you start with fresh crop or persist with rescuing the older stock...that's entirely up to you. i gather that the old plants are taking up that valuable space....

there are products/treatments for damaged root - ie cannazym and canna rhizotonic. I'm only mentioning those Canna products as I have used these products. i think the rhizotonic was expensive, but effective. Cannazym claims to speed up process of breaking down dead root material. But that might be just suggesting to throw good money at it.

rather than overwatering, where you have stretched the time between watering, it may be the medium in which those older plants are in, which is causing this watering issue. as i mentioned before, i had issue with the previous potting mix where I couldn't get the watering right - and i attempted to resolve this issue by adding more perlite to this potting mix. when i took the drastic step of transplanting into an entirely new potting mix, the plants have responded with healthier growth. Knock on wood, so far, the watering is much better now.

maybe also consider taking cuttings from the sicker plants, and use those clones to start again....

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
whether you start with fresh crop or persist with rescuing the older stock...that's entirely up to you. i gather that the old plants are taking up that valuable space....

there are products/treatments for damaged root - ie cannazym and canna rhizotonic. I'm only mentioning those Canna products as I have used these products. i think the rhizotonic was expensive, but effective. Cannazym claims to speed up process of breaking down dead root material. But that might be just suggesting to throw good money at it.

rather than overwatering, where you have stretched the time between watering, it may be the medium in which those older plants are in, which is causing this watering issue. as i mentioned before, i had issue with the previous potting mix where I couldn't get the watering right - and i attempted to resolve this issue by adding more perlite to this potting mix. when i took the drastic step of transplanting into an entirely new potting mix, the plants have responded with healthier growth. Knock on wood, so far, the watering is much better now.

maybe also consider taking cuttings from the sicker plants, and use those clones to start again....
Thats exactly what i have going on, i feel like just starting new healthy plants to replace the old stuned doing-nothing ones would just be a quicker fix than trying to get them to respond again, and going through all the money and work to get them to respond again. I have taken a new plan of action and i have actually switcched my pots, and my medium for the next set of plants that would be going into the tent. that is part of the reason why i asked about just dumping these old shit plants for newer healthier ones that would catch up to were i am at right now in about 2 weeks, thats no time.

Good idea on the clones, i could give a shot, i have never cloned before. I will also look into the canna products anyways , i mean if they could save my big girl that would give me decent yield, it would be worth the shot. I appreciate the input kampell, ihave 3 plants that i have recently transplanted from FFOF to roots organics, but i still have yet to improvement.

CosmoGrows

CosmoGrows

Supporter
I like the plastic pots, with roots organics so far, the 1 plant i have in the plastic pot is doing well, better than the ones i have in the fabric ones.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

if you're going to dump the old gals, then i reckon its worth doing drastic action, in an attempt to rescue 'em - what have you got to lose? one drastic action would be to take it out of the old medium it's in now, and transplant it into a different medium - like you have with others. if the oldies dies as result of trying to rescue it, so be it, you were going to throw 'em out, anyway. but even before that drastic action, take clones/cuttings.

i don't think you're far off, even with the older sick patients. Despite the problems, the medium and watering/feeding allowed it to grow as large as it has.

like i said before I don't think you should throw more of your good money, by buying those Canna products. Just saying that there are products which address such poor root development - but the Rhizo is relatively expensive. but handy products to have. also, you can use that rhizo for cloning - though a small bottle of Clone rooting gel (typically in 10 mls bottles) is more than adequate..

another point about this cannazym and rhizo is that you can use such solutions with your regular watering/feeding.

the root development on the oldie is not as healthy as it could be, however it has a good enough root development to support such growth (despite not the healthiest growth) and size of this plant. it's not towards worst case of root damage. really bad root development (root rot) would show plenty of damage on the leaves.

really poor root development wouldn't allow the plant to get even like the sick one you have. and thus, i said earlier, i don't think you're far off with the medium and your watering. again, i state that i think its more an issue with the medium, given your growing conditions, which is making watering difficult.

now, going back to clones - if this oldie is doomed or not, you can learn how to take cuttings to clone. so, this sick plant can still be useful for you to gain experience in cuttings and propagating clones - a skill you want to have. you can also maybe test different soil mix with these clones to see which is better. you can still use this old gal to learn and hone your skills & knowledge, and this old gal doesn't need totally go to waste. at least, you're moving forward, gaining more experience, knowledge and skills.

i wanted to discuss fabric pots, plastic pots and air-pots, but i stop as i am waffling. go back to this in another post later....

finally, keep persisting. i am doing the same thing myself, probably embarrassed to ask and determined to get it right, by myself. i have learned my own lessons, and talking & reading will not get the practical results (but of course seek help!!!). if you give up, then you haven't really given it a go.

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

..... that is part of the reason why i asked about just dumping these old shit plants for newer healthier ones that would catch up to were i am at right now in about 2 weeks, thats no time.

...3 plants that i have recently transplanted from FFOF to roots organics, but i still have yet to improvement.

i transplanted into new potting mix all my sick puppies just under 2 weeks ago. it took probably 3 days where it did nothing - it neither got worse or better, looked just as pathetically sick, which is actually a good sign considering the shocks. about that 5th day from their transplant, i saw tiny signs of healthier new growth. today, 12 days since its transplant, most seem to be recovering to their full normal/typical health.

i have 3 other very sick puppies, that 2 weeks ago, were so close to dead. Rather than ripping 'em up, i transplanted them into this new soil mix. these sick puppies took longer to respond, where they stayed in its miserable ICU condition - but again, they didn't get worse, but no signs of improvement. These 3 patients of mine are the examples you gave, where it would be quicker to germinate from seed and to sprout, than nursing these sick mothers.

Rather than burning more seeds, I wanted to see if I can rescue these babies - and despite their still pathetic appearance with its tiny growth, these tiny growth is that of dark green health after 12 days since their drastic operation (transplant into new mix). These patients will take time to nurse back into decent size, as result of total root damage it had - yet i have changed my plans to adapt to my grow effort, and intend to use these plants once recovered (confident now, fingers x'ed) as motherplants to provide cuttings. I expect these plants to be way behind that others, as result of the huge damage to its root system.

just 2 examples of the time and types of response, given the conditions of the plants. whenever you transplant/cuttings/LST/etc a plant, typically it takes days for it to first 'stabilise', then it will first show small signs of recovery, then power towards full recovery.

my task is as yours, to nurse the plants back to health, then to get it into strong vegetative plant, before flowering. have to practice patience, as part of that thing of ours 'persistence', where it can take some time to come into effect.

I like the plastic pots, with roots organics so far, the 1 plant i have in the plastic pot is doing well, better than the ones i have in the fabric ones.

use plastic pots instead if that's your preference. i think those air-pots are also a consideration, but again you don't need to burn more money on such items, if you already have suitable containers.

i'm using both plastic and fabric pots - and I am leaning towards plastic pots just for their rigidity. as the plants are of same genetic stock, and same stage of development but in these different pots, maybe I can tell you what the difference in grows are, later.

first impressions of fabric pots, as this is the first time i have grown into 'em - as mentioned in previous post, careful when lifting using the handles, as the soil shifts easily, and there are gaps between the rim and the soil mix, which is disturbing the roots. but as the plant and its roots gets larger, i expect his shift to be less.

when watering, it does drip drops on the outside of the fabric pot - that is the nature of this product. i feel the outside of the fabric pot to make sure that its evenly moist, after watering/feeding.

the general rule of 1/10th of the volume of the pot to water/fed applies, but this varies with environmental, soil and plant condition. i pour first just over half of the water/nutrient-solution, then pour the remainder maybe about 5 minutes later. i pour in an expanding semi-circle starting tightly around the stem, then wider each rotation going towards the rim. i tend to allow about 20% runoff when watering, and sometimes less runoff when feeding nutrient solution.

presently, I am watering both the fabric and plastic pots (of the same volume/size) at the same schedule, and all plants are responding similarly regardless of its pot type. i think i will see noticeable differences when the roots gets towards root bound in these respective pots, but by then I plan to repot into larger pots.

when i water/feed the plants, I take 'em out onto our city apartment balcony, to soak up the water/feed, outdoors and sun.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Top Bottom