If you have chemistry questions....

• Thread starter squiggly
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If someone's having problems, say in a UC, they could use the type of O3 gennies that are used in aquaria and as long as they pay attention to ventilation and other safety issues, they should be ok. I mean I don't know anyone outside of Florida who keeps a reef tank outside, and I know many, many who use ozone generators. That means they're using them inside. That said, a chem prof I know refuses to use O3 gennies in his home, and I think we can include his office there, too. But if you've got a bad case of Cryptocaryon irritans and you can't catch those fish to dip 'em, you might be willing to go the ozone route.

squiggly

squiggly

That said, a chem prof I know refuses to use O3 gennies in his home, and I think we can include his office there, too.

...and there you have it :)

Shit takes on different significance when you get to understanding what some chemicals actually DO and I imagine knowing WHY they do that is a big part of it as well. If it seems less conceptual and more like 1+1 = 2, it hits you a little harder.

It's one of those things, I guess, where you could live your whole life and not really be bothered by it or worried about it--but once you know something about it, you can't un-know it.

Chemists are plagued by this a lot in life, because there's shit you shouldn't be having everywhere.

squiggly

squiggly

Just to add, Sea is right. You can do it if you really need to. If you're just careful how you set it up and ventilate you should be fine. The key word is should, but even in the case of an accident no one is likely to die.

Asthmatics or anyone with an asthmatic in the house should not use these at all, even a tiny bit. I imagine this is also true for other respiratory disorders (like COPD for instance).

Kushgod024

Kushgod024

hey there man i was wondering if nutrient intake is a affected by water temperatures ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
...and there you have it :)

Shit takes on different significance when you get to understanding what some chemicals actually DO and I imagine knowing WHY they do that is a big part of it as well. If it seems less conceptual and more like 1+1 = 2, it hits you a little harder.

It's one of those things, I guess, where you could live your whole life and not really be bothered by it or worried about it--but once you know something about it, you can't un-know it.

Chemists are plagued by this a lot in life, because there's shit you shouldn't be having everywhere.
Hee! Wanna know what he's married to? A virologist. Can you say PARANOIA? His father was a senator, so his views on politics and politicians are... interesting.

But I was thinkin', if people just really doped up hard on antioxidants, they'd be cool running ozone, right? :D

God damn... I've got this extra O atom, I've gotta get that thing offa me!

jiggaboojones

jiggaboojones

I have seen a person take a test tube n mix a lil this n that with some cannabis to separate the thc and the cbd's to make a tincture .
could you help me in recreating this process?

squiggly

squiggly

I have seen a person take a test tube n mix a lil this n that with some cannabis to separate the thc and the cbd's to make a tincture .
could you help me in recreating this process?

Sounds like a proprietary process if it's accomplishing the goal of separating THC and CBD in a single test tube. I'm inclined to believe that it's not possible, frankly, but if it is I couldn't begin to tell you how.

squiggly

squiggly

But I was thinkin', if people just really doped up hard on antioxidants, they'd be cool running ozone, right? :D

Unfortunately, no.

Antioxidants will stay primarily in the bloodstream or inside of cellular tissue. What is actually going to be attacked by the ozone is your mucous membranes. Sinuses, airway, lungs, mouth, and eyes.

The oxidation is going to happen at the surface of these membranes (it will react primarily with the membranes of cells themselves). Because there is no antioxidant loading into the cellular membrane itself--a high level of antioxidants will not prevent the damage here. The ozone will simply destroy those cellular membranes and move to the next available apical cells.

squiggly

squiggly

Aw, damn.

Yeah, a severe ozone accident while unlikely would be absolutely devastating.

Part of what makes it less dangerous is how reactive the stuff is. It will not just hang out in a room forever, it's going to find something and react with it. The issue here is that if you have a very sterile room it may be that you do actually build up a good amount of ozone there. This could burn your eyes, injure your lungs, and lots of other nasty stuff. Even a SMALL excess of ozone will totally buttrape someone with breathing issues. COPD, emphysema, asthma especially--so those are the biggest issues to worry about here.

You can do this if you insist, but absolutely not with anyone with disorders like those in the house if you do. That should be rule #1.

Beyond that I think it's a bad idea, but just make sure you PROPERLY ventilate whatever area you're using the ozone in, and preferably any areas adjacent to it should also be well ventilated. Follow those guidelines and you shouldn't have any problems.

We can run into issues here if folks don't know the difference between proper ventilation and *any* ventilation, though. That's my greatest concern.

J

justblazen

Active Farmer
@squiggly do you of a way to dissolve Calcium sulfate safely. I need to add it to my nute regime but safely. It just lays on the bottom of the res, and is a waste. any info would be greatly appreciated

squiggly

squiggly

There's not an easy answer to this unfortunately. It should be slightly soluble in water to begin with, so you might get more in by adding it first to the res. The only way I know to fix this is a several step process.

You can convert the calcium sulfate to its hydroxide by adding strong base. You'll end up with SO4-2 ions in solution and Ca(OH)2 solid.

Then you can add HCl, and this will convert the Ca(OH)2 to H2O and CaCl (which is soluble).

The only other real way to do this requires chemicals you won't want to use (barium, lead, silver), and even then I imagine it'd be pretty damn stubborn with you.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Yeah, a severe ozone accident while unlikely would be absolutely devastating.
Even a SMALL excess of ozone will totally buttrape someone with breathing issues. COPD, emphysema, asthma especially--so those are the biggest issues to worry about here.

Being Asthmatic, and never having known this...
well, let's just say you've saved me a LOT of annoyances.

Amazing what one learns while on a stroll through the forums...

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Perhaps this is an off center question, but I'll toss it out & see if I can follow.

I've been trying to understand the bio chemistry behind what triggers a plant to go purple(like a chill reaction). I know it's a silly little trivial thing, but the next direction of thought goes right to 'how does one achieve that in a controlled space'? Can lighting trigger the same way temps do?

And I have a lowly grasp of bio chem... but I'm not gonna let that stop me.
:cat:

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Perhaps this is an off center question, but I'll toss it out & see if I can follow.

I've been trying to understand the bio chemistry behind what triggers a plant to go purple(like a chill reaction). I know it's a silly little trivial thing, but the next direction of thought goes right to 'how does one achieve that in a controlled space'? Can lighting trigger the same way temps do?

Molybdenum deficiency.....just a guess.

squiggly

squiggly

Purple colors come about because of pigments called anthocyanins.

Basically what's happening is they're always there--but they absorb very weakly. Chlorophyll is constant depleted as light strikes it and must be replaced. This requires warm temperatures. The anthocyanins are more stable to UV light (because they aren't meant to derive energy from it--but rather appear to work like pesticides in most cases). So as chlorophyll production drops off these colors come out.

In trees this happens because the tree basically kills all of its leaves by detecting changes in the light cycle--it can happen in our plants this way too, but it's likely they're more sensitive to the cold with respect to chlorophyll production.

Kitsune Nyx

Kitsune Nyx

Purple colors come about because of pigments called anthocyanins.
So, this applies to with genetic colourations as well as seasonal changes, yes?
(thanks for the reminder Seamaiden)

Basically what's happening is they're always there--but they absorb very weakly. Chlorophyll is constant depleted as light strikes it and must be replaced. This requires warm temperatures. The anthocyanins are more stable to UV light (because they aren't meant to derive energy from it--but rather appear to work like pesticides in most cases). So as chlorophyll production drops off these colors come out.
So, would a genetically purple plant potentially have a higher resistance?

In trees this happens because the tree basically kills all of its leaves by detecting changes in the light cycle--it can happen in our plants this way too, but it's likely they're more sensitive to the cold with respect to chlorophyll production.
So, let me see if I can put my thoughts out clearly here...
So, a plant under controlled lighting, experiencing lighting shortages/blackout, will potentially go into (what I call) "fall mode" & change colour?

I'm just trying to sort out the correlations between how indoor & outdoor plants behave in like.
Make sense?

Latest posts

Top Bottom