• Thread starter caregiverken
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I dont see a derail Goo. Good info...
Im mixing 30gal at a time (several times) ..thinking of getting a bigger barrel though

S

Schwoop

the PPM/PH pen is a must have, Organic, Chems, Veganics, dont matter, its a tool for data, it reads salts, there are natural salts in organics as well, you will get a reading, I sleep better at nite knowing I didnt just feed 4.2 solution or 8.0, you can ck your source water, More Data, you can ck which organics are dropping your ph and which raise it, its Data, Information, Knowledge, More is Better!!! CGK get what you can afford, Hanna, Blue Lab, Truncheon, Milwaukee, they all work!

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
But nothing from those other companies stays calibrated like a bluelab (EC/PPM meter). They have pens now? Too cool.
Yep the Blue lab pens are very cool. I tested my well water and it says 6.8 :) awesome...
and I tested some of the A1Plant sauce and Molasses mix I was feeding today..
the PH was 7.3(is that fine?)
the PPM was 330 .....so I added more water till it was down to 290 before feeding it..
But I think Schwoop said 200 is goodnBut I could have heard him wrong?
..I didnt mix it strong(8oz per 10gal)...so...

I have no Idea what im doing really..:confused:

Edit :But I did some reading around..and I think 300 is good for me...Im a lite feeder ;)

:rolleyes:

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

I've used a Hanna combo meter for the past 2 1/2 years and for the past year, it's been a real pain in the ass. I've cross checked the readings- it's accurate as long as it's starts out close to the solution's pH range, however, there are too many times that it reads 8.0 in a solution that I know is in the 6.o's, it starts to click down, and stops w/ a (for instance) 7.2 reading. To speed things up, I've resorted to quickly dipping the electrode into a 4.01 or 7.01 calibration solution to finesse it closer into the range that I know it should be reading.

I use storage solution, calibrate weekly, use electrode cleaner once every 2 weeks and replaced the electrode about 6 mos ago.. Maybe that's not enough maintenance but even so, it seems like a lot of B/S to put up with.

The truth is, I've been getting to the point where I only use pH as an assay a few times during a grow- much more often if I'm dealing w/ a nute problems, but when you need a reading, you want a responsive instrument and not something you have to finesse. On the EC side the readings are quick and accurate. I'm ready for a change. Thanks for the info.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

something else to watch with ph meters, they often get affected by other rf/emf emitting electronics (like ballasts, pump motors, controllers, cellphones, computer displays, etc). a conductive solution (like water) will also transfer the signal.

the readings can go wonky on some, such that the characters aren't even numbers, but it can also just throw them off to smaller degrees which fit exactly what Dis describes above. i make sure to test ph samples in a container that gets moved away from anything that will affect the reading, and recommend others try the same before writing off your meters (although lots of them seem to suck too). have also compared notes with other gardeners having the same experience..

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

I've used a Hanna combo meter for the past 2 1/2 years and for the past year, it's been a real pain in the ass. I've cross checked the readings- it's accurate as long as it's starts out close to the solution's pH range, however, there are too many times that it reads 8.0 in a solution that I know is in the 6.o's, it starts to click down, and stops w/ a (for instance) 7.2 reading. To speed things up, I've resorted to quickly dipping the electrode into a 4.01 or 7.01 calibration solution to finesse it closer into the range that I know it should be reading.

I use storage solution, calibrate weekly, use electrode cleaner once every 2 weeks and replaced the electrode about 6 mos ago.. Maybe that's not enough maintenance but even so, it seems like a lot of B/S to put up with.

The truth is, I've been getting to the point where I only use pH as an assay a few times during a grow- much more often if I'm dealing w/ a nute problems, but when you need a reading, you want a responsive instrument and not something you have to finesse. On the EC side the readings are quick and accurate. I'm ready for a change. Thanks for the info.
My Hanna did the same shit I got tired of double checking everything so I chucked it & got a blue lab combo meter & it works way better..

Disambiguator

Disambiguator

Good to know I'm not living in my own little world w/ the pH reading peculiarities. Glad it's the meter that's been wigging out and not me. The rf/emf emissions effect on a reading is something I've never heard of before but it makes total sense. I'm willing to bet that I can isolate the areas in my rooms where the effect takes place. Thanks for the good, new info EC. Makin Goo- I'm right behind you. Gonna check out blue lab for a new meter. THX.

Top Bottom