Incogneato's Veg(ina) Box

• Thread starter incogneato
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Minitiger

Minitiger

Quick question on ewc tea with molasses. I've made a couple 32 gallon batches for my whole yard (fruit trees, veggies and going to use it on my cannabis soon). What's the proper amount of molasses and castings for 32 gallons??

Twelve cups EWC, 2 2/3 cups of molasses, let it brew for around thirty hours. You could easily dilute that with another thirty-two gallons of water and it'd be just as affective, too.

Check out microbeorganics.com. Tim knows what he's talking about.

Last edited:
Minitiger

Minitiger

Quick question on ewc tea with molasses. I've made a couple 32 gallon batches for my whole yard (fruit trees, veggies and going to use it on my cannabis soon). What's the proper amount of molasses and castings for 32 gallons??

Sorry @Irietime When I said you could dilute that tea with another thirty two gallons, I meant once the tea was finished, then add more water if you need more tea. Also, that thirty hour brew time is kind of dependent on water temps. If you're brewing in an area where it's like 50 degrees, you'd probably want to let it go a few hours longer, maybe even six hours longer.

Timing is kind of everything when it comes to compost teas. Certain populations are more prevalent during certain portions of the brewing process. Fungi are more prevalent early on. And I use the word "prevalent" for lack of a better word. You actually can't increase the amount of fungi in a compost tea, but you can increase their length. So if you're using compost without fungi in it, you're never gonna get it. There's multiple ways to kind of pre-charge your compost or vermicompost with fungi before you start brewing your tea. I've seen methods here at the farm and Tim the microbe man (microbeorganics.com) also has a method on his website.

Anyway, bacteria will start to dominate the tea the longer you brew, followed by Protozoa. Just check out that website, it's really the best place to get info re: compost teas. And it ain't too hard to understand haha. I've seeen some websites and after reading for a few minutes, my eyes just kinda glaze over and I'm like,"Uhhhh...." Tim's is really easy to follow. Plus he has the tests and microscope slides or whatever they're called to back up his information.

Irietime

Irietime

Sorry @Irietime When I said you could dilute that tea with another thirty two gallons, I meant once the tea was finished, then add more water if you need more tea. Also, that thirty hour brew time is kind of dependent on water temps. If you're brewing in an area where it's like 50 degrees, you'd probably want to let it go a few hours longer, maybe even six hours longer.

Timing is kind of everything when it comes to compost teas. Certain populations are more prevalent during certain portions of the brewing process. Fungi are more prevalent early on. And I use the word "prevalent" for lack of a better word. You actually can't increase the amount of fungi in a compost tea, but you can increase their length. So if you're using compost without fungi in it, you're never gonna get it. There's multiple ways to kind of pre-charge your compost or vermicompost with fungi before you start brewing your tea. I've seen methods here at the farm and Tim the microbe man (microbeorganics.com) also has a method on his website.

Anyway, bacteria will start to dominate the tea the longer you brew, followed by Protozoa. Just check out that website, it's really the best place to get info re: compost teas. And it ain't too hard to understand haha. I've seeen some websites and after reading for a few minutes, my eyes just kinda glaze over and I'm like,"Uhhhh...." Tim's is really easy to follow. Plus he has the tests and microscope slides or whatever they're called to back up his information.
I'm on it thanks. When I ran my first two 32gallon runs I let it bubble for 24 hours. Wonder if it did anything at all. I think it did my snap peas and artichokes started going off:)

Minitiger

Minitiger

I'm on it thanks. When I ran my first two 32gallon runs I let it bubble for 24 hours. Wonder if it did anything at all. I think it did my snap peas and artichokes started going off:)

What're you using to brew your teas? Are you using an aquarium air stone-type thing or an air pump? I can't remember offhand why what you use to brew the tea matters (levels of dissolved oxygen, maybe?), but I do know that an actual air pump, rather than an air stone, is preferable.

The first tea I ever brewed I used an air stone, but that was a much different tea. Almost more of a nutrient tea as opposed to a compost tea, although there was some EWC in it. I used that one on one of my batches of dirt, before I planted anything in it. That grow turned out great, had a nice little Santa's beard on top of the soil, underneath the mulch. Although I'm sure that had a lot more to do with the compost tea I added at the beginning of flower that round, more than the tea I used on my batch of dirt while it was "cooking."

Irietime

Irietime

What're you using to brew your teas? Are you using an aquarium air stone-type thing or an air pump? I can't remember offhand why what you use to brew the tea matters (levels of dissolved oxygen, maybe?), but I do know that an actual air pump, rather than an air stone, is preferable.

The first tea I ever brewed I used an air stone, but that was a much different tea. Almost more of a nutrient tea as opposed to a compost tea, although there was some EWC in it. I used that one on one of my batches of dirt, before I planted anything in it. That grow turned out great, had a nice little Santa's beard on top of the soil, underneath the mulch. Although I'm sure that had a lot more to do with the compost tea I added at the beginning of flower that round, more than the tea I used on my batch of dirt while it was "cooking."
Yeah I'm using a 40 gallon aquarium pump and air stone. Not the best I'm sure, but it bubbles and throws some mist off the top. Probably more of a nutrient tea as you say. In hind sight wish I got the 100 gallon pump, bet it would throw more bubbles. Maybe I'll get that one to.

Minitiger

Minitiger

Yeah I'm using a 40 gallon aquarium pump and air stone. Not the best I'm sure, but it bubbles and throws some mist off the top. Probably more of a nutrient tea as you say. In hind sight wish I got the 100 gallon pump, bet it would throw more bubbles. Maybe I'll get that one to.

Well, it's only a nutrient tea if you're adding nutrients to the batch. If you're just using vermicompost and molasses, it's a compost tea. When I referenced my first tea ever in that one post (hahaha..... makes me laugh now thinking back), I added kelp, some alfalfa I think, fish hydorlysate, seed meals etc etc. All things you can certainly add to compost teas, with the exception of the seed meals, but if it's just molasses and EWC, it's a compost tea. And that's good enough, as long as I'm correctly understanding what you're trying to achieve.Just make a tea with EWC and molasses and you'll be all good as far as microbes or whatever are concerned. If you wanna water with specific goals in mind, brew some alfalafa teas (just started using those this last run and they're the fucking SHIT), kelp meal teas, whatever whatever whatever. But as far as inoculating your dirt with beneficial microbes: vermicompost, molasses and call it a day.

I'm laughing now. It's funny: I can barely remember yesterday, but I can remember exactly all the things I've done on my growing journey or however the fuck you wanna call it haha. Just call me "Rainman."

Last edited:
incogneato

incogneato

Been a minute since I updated. Been crazy busy getting ready for the holidays on top of grabbing some last minute over time to finish out the year strong lol. 2 more days to go and I'll have 12 days off! I'm about 80% done with the flower box, just need one good day to finish. As soon as the paint dries and the dust settles I'm flipping these 4 photos and 3 clones. Got some big trained ladies from vegging forever lol. I'm thinking sog to get the best yield from what I have. It will be nice to have a veg and flower room. Pics in the next few days, maybe when I get up.
Side note: clipped a bottom nug off of the auto and put it in a box to dry. I thing she may be done so I'm gonna take a closer look tomorrow. I only have a jeweler's loop to check the trics.

Moto

Moto

Been a minute since I updated. Been crazy busy getting ready for the holidays on top of grabbing some last minute over time to finish out the year strong lol. 2 more days to go and I'll have 12 days off! I'm about 80% done with the flower box, just need one good day to finish. As soon as the paint dries and the dust settles I'm flipping these 4 photos and 3 clones. Got some big trained ladies from vegging forever lol. I'm thinking sog to get the best yield from what I have. It will be nice to have a veg and flower room. Pics in the next few days, maybe when I get up.
Side note: clipped a bottom nug off of the auto and put it in a box to dry. I thing she may be done so I'm gonna take a closer look tomorrow. I only have a jeweler's loop to check the trics.

I used this when I use to check Trich's often. It is pretty much always focused and has a LED with battery included. Amazing quality for personal looking at your buds and trich's while relatively cheap. :)
https://www.amazon.com/KINGMAS-Pocket-Microscope-Jeweler-Magnifier/dp/B00AQAANDS

incogneato

incogneato

20161224 052630
Here's a quick shot if the jungle... Clones tucked in where they can fit. A seedling tray. You get the idea. I'm gonna chop the pink diesel x amnesia auto tomorrow. The trics are almost all cloudy with about 10% amber. Only flushed her for just over a week but I think I'm good with the nectar nutes that should give me a little more room. Hoping to get a MiB after the holiday to finish the bloom room and flip these ladies

rmoltis

rmoltis

The Beast Slayer
Supporter
View attachment 654767Here's a quick shot if the jungle... Clones tucked in where they can fit. A seedling tray. You get the idea. I'm gonna chop the pink diesel x amnesia auto tomorrow. The trics are almost all cloudy with about 10% amber. Only flushed her for just over a week but I think I'm good with the nectar nutes that should give me a little more room. Hoping to get a MiB after the holiday to finish the bloom room and flip these ladies

Wow your plants are looking big!

I'm excited to see you flower them out :)

incogneato

incogneato

Merry Christmas incogneato, May you and your family have a blessed weekend! Your patients has paid off to get the yield that you are wanting. Most people don't think about proper maturity of the plant before forcing them to bloom.
Thanks @Orcaman ! Merry Christmas to you and yours as well! They are definitely mature, the spliffs strawberry is stacking pre flowers lol.

Latest posts

Top Bottom