Is it really important to flush before harvest?

• Thread starter Emedicen
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That's exactly what it's says don't try to pull a fast one. It says less minerals produce black ash. You said not flushing produces black ash. Those contradict each other and your anecdotal evidence is just that. I'm still trying to figure out who invented flushing because nature didn't.

first time I heard of flushing was with indoor volume growers in New Jersey in the nineties. They said they can pump the plants full of nutrients and then flush them out at the end so the weed tastes and smokes ok for a faster turnover.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
That's exactly what it's says don't try to pull a fast one. It says less minerals produce black ash. You said not flushing produces black ash. Those contradict each other and your anecdotal evidence is just that. I'm still trying to figure out who invented flushing because nature didn't.

I'm not pulling a fast one. It states tobacco grown in poor, mineral deprived soil burns black. Doesn't say that's the only cause of bad burn, and it's talking about the growth phase of the plants, not what they're being given right before harvest. I fully agree, plants not fed properly also burn shitty.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
well if one strain burned clean no matter what you should be able to figure out what you did to the others so they wouldn’t.

I thought I remember you feeding the pbp to the end for the white ash. You were so surprised at the time. It was the dirtbag shed thread or something.
Yep. Seeing what I wanted to see.
Truth was my crops burned like shit when I tried not flushing. And having grown over a dozen strains around those times and all of them burning fine with a flush and none of them burning fine fed to the end, besides one plant, makes that plant a statistical anomaly.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
first time I heard of flushing was with indoor volume growers in New Jersey in the nineties. They said they can pump the plants full of nutrients and then flush them out at the end so the weed tastes and smokes ok for a faster turnover.
How could that be possible? You said plants are either over fed or not. And a flush can't remove nutrients once they are in the plant.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

How could that be possible? You said plants are either over fed or not. And a flush can't remove nutrients once they are in the plant.

the only thing it accomplishes is fading the plant so it has less chlorophyll. So they dont have to cure so long to sell the weed.

I am not vouching. They said that.

It’s all you can be accomplishing too. You can’t get any nutrients out of the flowers.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
the only thing it accomplishes is fading the plant so it has less chlorophyll. So they dont have to cure so long to sell the weed.

It’s all you can be accomplishing too. You can’t get any nutrients out of the flowers.
I avoid putting the excess in to begin with by not feeding at the end. The plant has more than enough stored nutrients in the leaves and soil, it doesn't need me spoonfeeding it at the end of its life.

Kootenay.kid

Kootenay.kid

I used to deal with folks who were positive that spraying or applying systemic pesticides in late flower a week or so before harvest was just fine and were not talking pyrethrum were talking serious nasty ass smell it while applying get silently ill sorta chemicals. they too used the outdoor comparison but I guess missed the day in biology or chemistry class where they discussed the effect the UV rays of the sun play on the break down of different chemicals and elements. part of my job I had to have my Gov pesticide supplier applicator ticket which you have to know a lot about how the different chems react and stick around, 99.9% are not tested for smoking and at that time there was not much research on the effects it was mostly done on edibles that go through the stomach acid etc.
its similar to the fert components they know what it does in the body through the digestive system but less as much when burned and inhaled. so I always err on the side of caution and make the effort to remove as much as possible its not like it really effects the yield and Im not so lazy I don't want to put in the effort lol that said Im an aeroponic guy so its a little easier than other mediums lol especially for flushing.

Moshmen

Moshmen

No so imo. There might be nutes in the soil but not available. My volunteer grew great all summer and fall with zero fertilizer or nutes. It survived 118f @ 18%rh with just water. When the temps got below 45-50 they turned yellow and purple- exactly like they do with a flush. I think the cold soil restricts the nute uptake. Some of my indoor plants will never yellow or finish properly without a flush. They will just foxtail forever. Others quit feeding and yellow on their own.
To me flushing is an attempt to mimic this nute deprivation. -a crop steering technique.
View attachment 1114066
View attachment 1114062
We see this from seedling on! Cold root zone no growth only seems logical it affects uptake for sure- I want to add we are indoor right so we can control nutrient uptake, and basically every aspect of life if we choose! Thats kinda the point right ? Lol

Moshmen

Moshmen

Try reading the damned study instead of looking to immediately discredit the author.

We don’t smoke tomatoes but we eat them. Zero health issues. Your comparison is kind of irrelevant. Again please name any crop husbanded by man that heads to harvest starved? Please.

Please flush away if you’re so inclined.
If it’s my personal veggie garden I’d say everything- well I’m late to g to be party I’ll just leave this one alone - a gain though farmers don’t eat what they sell ! Two completely different goals

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
If it’s my personal veggie garden I’d say everything- well I’m late to g to be party I’ll just leave this one alone - a gain though farmers don’t eat what they sell ! Two completely different goals
After reading the comments and watching some Youtube " studies" lol
I'm now positive that flushing is necessary or not...sometimes....
.......no I got that wrong it doesn't make a difference at all in taste, burn or high.....yep that's one scientific study said and a blind test proved it.......
........ So flushing is and always will be the same for me water feed water feed water?? water??? is it done yet?? chop, dry, smoke

Moshmen

Moshmen

You guys are all fully seasoned growers, I’m a newbie bud I think we can all agree that every grow op is different, and we all do what works for us and flushing/ feeding at the end is still a choice - in the end I’m happy the way my bud tastes and burns most of the time / and when it doesn’t it’s so hard to figure out why for me anyways because of all the variables that I don’t keep track of, I do track my runoff ppm the most and I think I like tapered back to around 3-400 ppm the couple weeks - unfortunately I miss that window often as I still have a lot to learn about reading my plants .
let’s fire one up
Mosh

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I used to deal with folks who were positive that spraying or applying systemic pesticides in late flower a week or so before harvest was just fine and were not talking pyrethrum were talking serious nasty ass smell it while applying get silently ill sorta chemicals. they too used the outdoor comparison but I guess missed the day in biology or chemistry class where they discussed the effect the UV rays of the sun play on the break down of different chemicals and elements. part of my job I had to have my Gov pesticide supplier applicator ticket which you have to know a lot about how the different chems react and stick around, 99.9% are not tested for smoking and at that time there was not much research on the effects it was mostly done on edibles that go through the stomach acid etc.
its similar to the fert components they know what it does in the body through the digestive system but less as much when burned and inhaled. so I always err on the side of caution and make the effort to remove as much as possible its not like it really effects the yield and Im not so lazy I don't want to put in the effort lol that said Im an aeroponic guy so its a little easier than other mediums lol especially for flushing.

when watering only at the end the plant will take its own stored nutrients from its leaves and move them into the buds if not fertilized. What is the difference? No matter what the plant will move nutrients to the flowers as needed. And none will ever be removed no matter what we do.

if the flavor is bad from too much fertilizer the damage was done before the last two weeks.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You guys are all fully seasoned growers, I’m a newbie bud I think we can all agree that every grow op is different, and we all do what works for us and flushing/ feeding at the end is still a choice - in the end I’m happy the way my bud tastes and burns most of the time / and when it doesn’t it’s so hard to figure out why for me anyways because of all the variables that I don’t keep track of, I do track my runoff ppm the most and I think I like tapered back to around 3-400 ppm the couple weeks - unfortunately I miss that window often as I still have a lot to learn about reading my plants .
let’s fire one up
Mosh
Fully seasoned grower? lol I'm fully seasoned all right but my growing...well I'm having a hard time getting out of high school.....no diploma for me.

Bluntsmoke

Bluntsmoke

Winner. It was invented to speed up the process by lazy growers
Rain and cold are natures flush.
So when it rains the ground gets depleted of nutes? Or is it the cold that depletes the nutes?

Top Bottom