Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
HighRootz

HighRootz

Man I am gettin real tired of sucking so bad at something. Two new beans in pots! 🤯
Relax and breathe, bud, you got this. Just take it slow and cover all the bases. Me personally if I was in your situation, I would start the beans in coco or rock wool until they are established then when it's time to up pot, I would transfer them to their next/or final home. I have faith in you, bud and look forward to seeing you have a bountiful harvest

Panhead59

Panhead59

Yeah you'll get some survivors soon. I just planted 4. Two turned brown and died at 1" tall.

amekins

amekins

Relax and breathe, bud, you got this. Just take it slow and cover all the bases. Me personally if I was in your situation, I would start the beans in coco or rock wool until they are established then when it's time to up pot, I would transfer them to their next/or final home. I have faith in you, bud and look forward to seeing you have a bountiful harvest
Do you have some bag seed around to use just until you’ve had some success and feel confident in the germination through seedling periods? I’m happy to share from what I have and used to germinate last year (over 20 plants germinated and grown through those first two weeks).

ajgrows

ajgrows

Thanks y'all. Not much photo worthy action at this point. The Frankenstein seed didn't make it (which I figured would happen) so I dropped a new bean in the 5g pot yesterday, which is still really wet in the bottom 6". Wet as in the moisture readings haven't changed a bit since the first time I watered it...about a week ago. And the top seems to get so dry that it hardens up. This is concerning to me. I did top water some when I planted the seed last night, but it's already really dry so I'm not sure how the bottom of the pot will ever dry out without the top being bone dry for days. I can't imagine that's optimal for the seed to pop. The seedling pot got started Monday, it's looking ok methinks.

IMG 5628

IMG 5629

Do you have some bag seed around to use just until you’ve had some success and feel confident in the germination through seedling periods? I’m happy to share from what I have and used to germinate last year (over 20 plants germinated and grown through those first two weeks).
No unfortunately I haven't seen any in the dispensary flower I get. I think I've got two freebie seeds left from breeder purchases before it starts getting really painful 😧

amekins

amekins

Thanks y'all. Not much photo worthy action at this point. The Frankenstein seed didn't make it (which I figured would happen) so I dropped a new bean in the 5g pot yesterday, which is still really wet in the bottom 6". Wet as in the moisture readings haven't changed a bit since the first time I watered it...about a week ago. And the top seems to get so dry that it hardens up. This is concerning to me. I did top water some when I planted the seed last night, but it's already really dry so I'm not sure how the bottom of the pot will ever dry out without the top being bone dry for days. I can't imagine that's optimal for the seed to pop. The seedling pot got started Monday, it's looking ok methinks.

View attachment 1166865
View attachment 1166864

No unfortunately I haven't seen any in the dispensary flower I get. I think I've got two freebie seeds left from breeder purchases before it starts getting really painful 😧
If you want a bunch of bag seed (regular photoperiod), I’m offering. Just DM an address to which I can send.

Lilolme

Lilolme

Dang wish I had some first hand experience with autos but my photo seedlings are encouraged to develop slowly at first, very light water away from the plant so the roots, which are developing at lightening speed in the very early stages, must reach for the moisture. I noticed after a few days the roots have developed to the point that they can support more above ground growth and that begins to pick up, keepin the water minimal and away from the plant is key make em work for it. We aint growin tropical plants they do better a little dry than wet. Once you get a handle on less is more I think your results are gonna improve mine did when I started leavin alone more and just lettin em do their thing

ajgrows

ajgrows

If you want a bunch of bag seed (regular photoperiod), I’m offering. Just DM an address to which I can send.
Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I ever give photos a shot 😊
Dang wish I had some first hand experience with autos but my photo seedlings are encouraged to develop slowly at first, very light water away from the plant so the roots, which are developing at lightening speed in the very early stages, must reach for the moisture. I noticed after a few days the roots have developed to the point that they can support more above ground growth and that begins to pick up, keepin the water minimal and away from the plant is key make em work for it. We aint growin tropical plants they do better a little dry than wet. Once you get a handle on less is more I think your results are gonna improve mine did when I started leavin alone more and just lettin em do their thing
I don't know that there's much difference other than having to flip the photos into flower. I think (based on @ComfortablyNumb chastising me 😆) that I've definitely been watering too little in most of my past attempts. Just have to keep tweaking it and figure out where I'm screwing up.

amekins

amekins

Thanks, I will keep that in mind if I ever give photos a shot 😊

I don't know that there's much difference other than having to flip the photos into flower. I think (based on @ComfortablyNumb chastising me 😆) that I've definitely been watering too little in most of my past attempts. Just have to keep tweaking it and figure out where I'm screwing up.
My point was, do that with my photo seeds and you can just learn from them and toss the plants once through those first two weeks.

HighRootz

HighRootz

I have to ask, have you changed the soil that you've been using each time or reusing it? Are you using any sort of Mycorrhizae?

ajgrows

ajgrows

My point was, do that with my photo seeds and you can just learn from them and toss the plants once through those first two weeks.
Ah, I’m with ya now.
I have to ask, have you changed the soil that you've been using each time or reusing it? Are you using any sort of Mycorrhizae?
They’ve all been mixed from the same FF bags, but fresh batches each time. The 5g pot has Recharge, Fish Poo and DTE amendments. The seedling pot is just FF Happy Frog at this point. I’ll water in some Recharge and 🐠 💩 in a week or so. I do have some Mykos that I’ll use if she lives long enough to transplant into a bigger pot.

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

I have been running autoflowers 10+ years and they are run different than photoperid plants, they hate stress that is why you sow seed in pot u intend to do your whole grow in, blue light is best bc full spec has red and ir in it this can cause your auto to flower prematurely this will ultimately affect yield, i recommend botanacare pro grow a nice light food that is fish mulch and nitro, 1ml per us gal, after watering draining and check ph i pour a small slash in a 16oz cup of water and feed when plant has 3 sets or is 3 weeks old witchever comes first, for flowering i use Atami Bloombastic 1 halfml per USgal same drill but go light autoflowers are notoriously easy to burn and must be careful, if you run into trouble will be glad to help, make shure you have good drainage, only run 1 strain at a time this makes things simple, most autoflowers dont mind a light prune you do this for 2 reasons 1 to improve airflow and to get branches into light, keep things simple and i recommend fox farms ocean forest or happy frog witch is a slightly hotter mix, once you get the hang of it it's not to hard you can allso do light lst ing and leaf tucking, do not top autoflowers it causes stress and stressed autoflowers can and will drawf out, here are a few pics.good luck.

20210909 101201
20210801 093921
20210305 132332
20201126 081247
Lilolme

Lilolme

I have been running autoflowers 10+ years and they are run different than photoperid plants, they hate stress that is why you sow seed in pot u intend to do your whole grow in, blue light is best bc full spec has red and ir in it this can cause your auto to flower prematurely this will ultimately affect yield, i recommend botanacare pro grow a nice light food that is fish mulch and nitro, 1ml per us gal, after watering draining and check ph i pour a small slash in a 16oz cup of water and feed when plant has 3 sets or is 3 weeks old witchever comes first, for flowering i use Atami Bloombastic 1 halfml per USgal same drill but go light autoflowers are notoriously easy to burn and must be careful, if you run into trouble will be glad to help, make shure you have good drainage, only run 1 strain at a time this makes things simple, most autoflowers dont mind a light prune you do this for 2 reasons 1 to improve airflow and to get branches into light, keep things simple and i recommend fox farms ocean forest or happy frog witch is a slightly hotter mix, once you get the hang of it it's not to hard you can allso do light lst ing and leaf tucking, do not top autoflowers it causes stress and stressed autoflowers can and will drawf out, here are a few pics.good luck.
From everything I read there is a definite knack to the autos and very little forgiveness

ajgrows

ajgrows

From everything I read there is a definite knack to the autos and very little forgiveness
I agree the rule of thumb seems to be that they’re easier to stress. I’ve watched a fair amount of videos with autos being topped, regularly defoliated and otherwise abused and the plant seems to respond just fine. Which is why I’m baffled I can’t get the damn things to even get past one set of true leaves. With no aspirations beyond growing for my own consumption, I wouldn’t expect it to make a huge difference in overall annual yield. I just wish I could get that far into the process to even debate the topic lol.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I agree the rule of thumb seems to be that they’re easier to stress. I’ve watched a fair amount of videos with autos being topped, regularly defoliated and otherwise abused and the plant seems to respond just fine. Which is why I’m baffled I can’t get the damn things to even get past one set of true leaves. With no aspirations beyond growing for my own consumption, I wouldn’t expect it to make a huge difference in overall annual yield. I just wish I could get that far into the process to even debate the topic lol.
Lets see what it looks like today.

Lilolme

Lilolme

What do
What did the ones that didn’t make it look like?

ajgrows

ajgrows

I’ll scroll back through all my photos when I’m at home and see if I have more pics, but there’s a few posted in the earlier pages of this thread. It looks like damping off but I was barely watering them.

Lilolme

Lilolme

If I had to pick out a reason from a quick look through I would say your lights are your problem. I start my plants under a cheap 30 watt led shop light till they start producing leaves in earnest then step it up to my bigger lights and ease em into those. You might try a low setting at first, very low, low as it will go and see what happens

ajgrows

ajgrows

Lets see what it looks like today.
The pics at this top of page 10 are from this morning. Not looking much different tonight lol
If I had to pick out a reason from a quick look through I would say your lights are your problem. I start my plants under a cheap 30 watt led shop light till they start producing leaves in earnest then step it up to my bigger lights and ease em into those. You might try a low setting at first, very low, low as it will go and see what happens
I did back the light off in the last one that made it a week, but it was still probably around...75 watts. I also feel like they've all been pretty stretchy and maybe that's my problem. I've never buried them w/ more dirt to support the stem when they keel over, just propped them up w/ some soft wire.

HighRootz

HighRootz

Have you done a slurry test on your soil to check its PH? What's your soil current PH level?

Top Bottom