Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The pics at this top of page 10 are from this morning. Not looking much different tonight lol

I did back the light off in the last one that made it a week, but it was still probably around...75 watts. I also feel like they've all been pretty stretchy and maybe that's my problem. I've never buried them w/ more dirt to support the stem when they keel over, just propped them up w/ some soft wire.
Don't prop them up. They will shoot up a bit and then pause while it sinks the tap root for stability. Let them alone, when the root catches up, it will start growing again.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We already know that your soil is overly enrichened, but it should be ok.
You will have issues, but pretty much you are just going to water when the probe is in the red.
Your first 2 waterings should have some runoff. Maybe a quart each pot. You want to dilute the soil, not deplete it.

Last edited:
Lilolme

Lilolme

The pics at this top of page 10 are from this morning. Not looking much different tonight lol

I did back the light off in the last one that made it a week, but it was still probably around...75 watts. I also feel like they've all been pretty stretchy and maybe that's my problem. I've never buried them w/ more dirt to support the stem when they keel over, just propped them up w/ some soft wire.
It also helps to get a gentle breeze on em too, back filling around the stem is a big help, the stem will produce more roots

Lilolme

Lilolme

I keep my 30 watt light about 3 inches away it helps reduce the stretch, I think you may be on your way to some plants now that you are realizin you don’t put a newborn baby out in the blazin sun

ajgrows

ajgrows

Have you done a slurry test on your soil to check its PH? What's your soil current PH level?
No I don’t check soil ph, just ph the water going in to 6.5. If the amendments are working then they should buffer it to whatever range the plant needs iirc

ajgrows

ajgrows

Don't prop them up. They will shoot up a bit and then pause while it sinks the tap root for stability. Let them alone, when the root catches up, it will start growing again.
I just tried propping them up after they would fall over and proceed to die. I let them go otherwise.

We already know that your soil is overly enrichened, but it should be ok.
You will have issues, but pretty much you are just going to water when the probe is in the red.
Your first 2 waterings should have some runoff. Maybe a quart each pot. You want to dilute the soil, not deplete it.
The 5g pot is super wet near the center rn, it’s at a 7 on the moisture meter at all 3 cuts I made in the pot. I’m just misting the surface until the seed pops. I’m guessing it’s going to take quite awhile to get it to dry out completely at this rate.

It also helps to get a gentle breeze on em too, back filling around the stem is a big help, the stem will produce more roots
I do keep a fan running on low but not pointed directly at the seedling. I may just point it at the middle/bottom of the fabric pot to try and help dry it out some but still get some movement across the surface to help strengthen the stem once it pops.
I keep my 30 watt light about 3 inches away it helps reduce the stretch, I think you may be on your way to some plants now that you are realizin you don’t put a newborn baby out in the blazin sun
I sure hope so 🤲🏻

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

When you planted the seed, you made sure the tap root was pointing down, yeah?

ajgrows

ajgrows

Obligatory Saturday morning update. It's a little dry in the tent, running right around 50%. I've been trying to pump up the humidity in the basement to damn near 70% to get the RH up in the tent but it usually doesn't get higher than about 55%. Lights are turned down pretty low at this point, around 115 µmols on the seedling pot and 150ish on the 5 gal pot. I was a little worried the Humboldt seed was going to start weird. It was kinda growing sideways a couple days ago but it's straightened up a bit this morning. Just gonna keep misting this 1-2 times a day and keep it pretty dry otherwise. Super crappy macro shot 🥴 Hoping to see the seed in the 5 gal pot pop in the next day or two.

IMG 5629
IMG 5637
IMG 5635
IMG 5634

I picked up a freebie wireless hygrometer kit to review and the pucks seem to be pretty accurate. I keep the main unit in my office to try and stay out of the tent as much 😆

IMG 5638
IMG 5641

HighRootz

HighRootz

Obligatory Saturday morning update. It's a little dry in the tent, running right around 50%. I've been trying to pump up the humidity in the basement to damn near 70% to get the RH up in the tent but it usually doesn't get higher than about 55%. Lights are turned down pretty low at this point, around 115 µmols on the seedling pot and 150ish on the 5 gal pot. I was a little worried the Humboldt seed was going to start weird. It was kinda growing sideways a couple days ago but it's straightened up a bit this morning. Just gonna keep misting this 1-2 times a day and keep it pretty dry otherwise. Super crappy macro shot 🥴 Hoping to see the seed in the 5 gal pot pop in the next day or two.

View attachment 1167508View attachment 1167511View attachment 1167509View attachment 1167510

I picked up a freebie wireless hygrometer kit to review and the pucks seem to be pretty accurate. I keep the main unit in my office to try and stay out of the tent as much 😆

View attachment 1167512View attachment 1167513
Is the perlite pre mixed in with the soil or did you make a soil-perlite ratio? If it was pre mixed, I would add a couple handfuls of perlite just to have the peace of mind that the soil can drain and aerate properly. All in all tho, looks good and I feel that these are the beans that will carry you to harvest

ajgrows

ajgrows

Is the perlite pre mixed in with the soil or did you make a soil-perlite ratio? If it was pre mixed, I would add a couple handfuls of perlite just to have the peace of mind that the soil can drain and aerate properly. All in all tho, looks good and I feel that these are the beans that will carry you to harvest
A little comes in the FF bags but I add in 10%ish volume when I mix up the soil. I do feel that the soil is pretty compacted. It gets really hard on the surface when it dries. Not sure if that's common or not. I am going to get some #4 next so the particles are bigger going forward.

HighRootz

HighRootz

A little comes in the FF bags but I add in 10%ish volume when I mix up the soil. I do feel that the soil is pretty compacted. It gets really hard on the surface when it dries. Not sure if that's common or not. I am going to get some #4 next so the particles are bigger going forward.
This is a debatable subject but I know a few growers in my part of town that put a thin layer of mulch on top to keep soil from compaction. You can also give a light till to the top inch of soil if you don't have access to mulch. Be wary when tilling too deep tho, don't want to disrupt any beneficial microbes

ajgrows

ajgrows

This is a debatable subject but I know a few growers in my part of town that put a thin layer of mulch on top to keep soil from compaction. You can also give a light till to the top inch of soil if you don't have access to mulch. Be wary when tilling too deep tho, don't want to disrupt any beneficial microbes
Interesting. I always wanted to have some cover crop to help keep the surface moist. I wonder if that would help w/ that also. Things to add in the future lol

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Get a bit of cardboard and cut to fit as a lid for the pot. Have a slit in one side to slide it around the plant.
Cover it with foil. It will block light from your soil and you will not have to water so often.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Get a bit of cardboard and cut to fit as a lid for the pot. Have a slit in one side to slide it around the plant.
Cover it with foil. It will block light from your soil and you will not have to water so often.
Cool idea. I will try that out 👍

ajgrows

ajgrows

So I see the start of of what looks like mycelium on the outside of the fabric pot and I'm like COOL LET'S PLAY WITH THE MACRO LENS. Then I see this crazy lookin' thing on it. Dunno if it's good or bad. Tried unsuccessfully about 20 times to get a clear photo but never got anything better than these. Hopefully it's a garden friend and nothing harmful 🤨

IMG 5660

IMG 5665

Top Bottom