Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KingKobi

KingKobi

Bourbon or barrel aged stouts lol
Different strokes for different folks but let’s make a pact. We all agree to have a glass of something nice to toast you with in the (it would seem highly unlikely 😂 ), event you get one into a jar. All in favour say “I”, motion carried.
Between now and then for my part, i will hunt down a vintage 750ml Chimay, the one with a cork and wire wrap, premo stout style usually available here around about now.
Who’s in?????

Frostfire

Frostfire

Different strokes for different folks but let’s make a pact. We all agree to have a glass of something nice to toast you with in the (it would seem highly unlikely 😂 ), event you get one into a jar. All in favour say “I”, motion carried.
Between now and then for my part, i will hunt down a vintage 750ml Chimay, the one with a cork and wire wrap, premo stout style usually available here around about now.
Who’s in?????
eye! (i know, i'm just different). Here here!

ajgrows

ajgrows

Day 32
75° | 53% RH | 498 µmols | 29 DLI

Pot is completely dry on moisture meter, gave her 2C plain water. Dimmed the lights 10%.

I don't know what is going on (big surprise), but Lloyd still looks like she went 9 rounds w/ Mike Tyson this morning. I gave her a good once over with the microscope and nothing seems to scream "THIS IS YOUR PROBLEM". I'm guessing the purpling is from stress or the light intensity change last week. Genetics is obviously a possibility, but I'm putting that at the bottom of the list given her current condition. The main stem looks very strange at surface level. It seems to have a smaller diameter just below the surface and looks like it's being eaten just above that. I checked the soil surface thoroughly for pests, dug down into the soil an inch and checked, nothing odd there either. If it's not pests, this seems very odd. The second set of leaves is starting to yellow now also. Anecdotally, I have read that purple stems and fading leaves can be nute deficiency, lockout, ph, or pathgens. I wouldn't think the Lush soil is nutrient deficient after 10 days. I never pH my water and runoff has always been in the high 6.x range. So that would lead me down a path to pests or pathogens, neither of which seem present. Maybe it's a negative reaction to the Recharge suddenly, but that seems unlikely also. I am thoroughly stumped once again 🤯

IMG 5843

IMG 5837

IMG 5841

IMG 5842

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Let it dry out. And take the 3 or 4 yellow leaves off the bottom.
When you water, it will droop for a day or two. It's fine. Leave it alone.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Let it dry out. And take the 3 or 4 yellow leaves off the bottom.
When you water, it will droop for a day or two. It's fine. Leave it alone.
It was. I hadn't watered for four days and the plant never looked any different than it does in the photo during that entire time span.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The purpling is temp based mostly. What are the lights on and off temps of the plant?
Get your probe and take readings at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 from the bottom. What are they now after watering?
Did you have the probe inserted in the side instead of the top to monitor water flow during watering?

ajgrows

ajgrows

The purpling is temp based mostly. What are the lights on and off temps of the plant?
Get your probe and take readings at 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4 from the bottom. What are they now after watering?
Did you have the probe inserted in the side instead of the top to monitor water flow during watering?
It stays between 75-77 24/7, not likely cold enough to be temp related. I check about 2", 5" and at the bottom but only water based on the moisture measurements at the very bottom of the 1 gal pot. It was at 6 after I watered this morning, still at 6 tonight. I don't use the meter while watering. 3-3.5 cups is enough to give me a little runoff and measure at a 9 on my moisture meter.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Again with the watering. Didn't we go over this already?

There IS a wrong way to water, so do this instead.
Basic Watering

Watering SOIL

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You base your watering at the 1/4 from the bottom mark. The very bottom should never go fully dry or you will start losing the living part of the soil.
Put the meter in and water until it shows up on the meter. There are reasons for this. Fluid dynamics shows us where the water goes, sits and how it drains.
PLEASE freakin water this way. If you want to do it your way, then fine, I'll leave you to it and you can go back to what you were doing.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

We are not telling you stuff just because that's how we do it. We tell you because it's been tested and we know it works and why.
If you learn why, then you will understand enough to change it up without harming the plant. But you have to learn it first.

Ask anyone here. Ask @Aqua Man or @Dirtbag or @Frankster, @amekins

Last edited:
ajgrows

ajgrows

Day 34
75° | 59% RH | 526 µmols | 31 DLI

Well I hope I'm onto the correct diagnosis for Lloyd. I was doing some more research Sunday afternoon and found a fair amount of PH issue tales that had similar looking symptoms. I pH'd some water to 6.5 and watered her today when the 1/4 test point was at a 2 on my meter. She took almost a full 3C w/ 0.1g of Recharge. There was just enough runoff to test and the pH was 7.5. I suppose that's either because I let the soil get too dry and killed off too many microbes or my pH going in has just been too high in general. Either way, pH'd water going forward. She's looking much better for the moment. The Blueberry Auto popped overnight and the first set of true leaves is visible already 😳. Hopefully I can fuck this one up less.

IMG 5856

IMG 5855

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You don't do pH in soil. If you do that, you WILL kill it.
Stay with the program. Quit adding to it.

Frostfire

Frostfire

That's what I thought with organic grows so I wasn't adjusting the pH of my water before. Just keep giving plain water then and forget about it?
Day 34
75° | 59% RH | 526 µmols | 31 DLI

Well I hope I'm onto the correct diagnosis for Lloyd. I was doing some more research Sunday afternoon and found a fair amount of PH issue tales that had similar looking symptoms. I pH'd some water to 6.5 and watered her today when the 1/4 test point was at a 2 on my meter. She took almost a full 3C w/ 0.1g of Recharge. There was just enough runoff to test and the pH was 7.5. I suppose that's either because I let the soil get too dry and killed off too many microbes or my pH going in has just been too high in general. Either way, pH'd water going forward. She's looking much better for the moment. The Blueberry Auto popped overnight and the first set of true leaves is visible already 😳. Hopefully I can fuck this one up less.

View attachment 1178429
View attachment 1178428
That's what I thought with organic grows so I wasn't adjusting the pH of my water before. Just keep giving plain water then and forget about it?

This is a much better cameo for Lloyd!
You did right by bringing your soil pH back into (or closer to) the optimal range of 5.8 - 6.5, that's why it looks better.

pH is extremely important no matter your medium and plants won't properly uptake nutrients without pH within that range.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That is correct. Do not mess with pH in living soil, you will screw it all up.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

This is a much better cameo for Lloyd!
You did right by bringing your soil pH back into (or closer to) the optimal range of 5.8 - 6.5, that's why it looks better.

pH is extremely important no matter your medium and plants won't properly uptake nutrients without pH within that range.
Living soil adjusts the pH on its own. Never try to change the pH of living soil.

Frostfire

Frostfire

What is your medium? Can you tell everything that's in it, if you've added anything include that.

Latest posts

Top Bottom