Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Frostfire

Frostfire

Do you just scoop out some dirt from the pot for the slurry then? I didn't add anything to the LUSH other than the FS and Recharge. My filtered tap water is around 550 ppm.

Would a top dress be in order then? I can't imagine the soil is out of nutrients already. Wouldn't root rot be a slim chance of cause, primarily because I've overdone the dry back? What makes you think that could be a cause of the problems?
I'd top dress with 2 t bunny poo or 2 T ewc. You could also use kelp or give a foliar feed with seaweed. And in my estimation if your pH was high, pH your H20 till you are confident your medium is pH 'adjusted.' 5.8 - 6.2, it can't hurt but if the pH of your medium is 'out' your plant cannot uptake nutes properly.
Additionally if you're relying on a 'cheap' pH meter you'd be as well off not using one at all. A reasonably priced quality pH meter that can be relied on is 'HM Digital PH-80.' I left mine sitting alone and unused till the batteries expired. After about 2 years of not being used at all and having only very little storage solution in the cap I replaced the batteries (3 button cells), bought a pack of pH 4.01 dry powder and tested it and it was spot on!! YMMV.

Hope you find good solutions with any persistent issues.

Last edited:
ajgrows

ajgrows

Lloyd Day 52
75° | 49% RH | 673 µmols | 45 DLI

Ok, so I needed a break from all the forumitis. I need to do my own thing, research, test, screw things up and remind myself I came here to chronicle those mistakes for future me to reference. I've been testing different theories w/ Lloyd trying to fix the deficiencies she's had. At first I thought it was lockout due to pH, I also considered it was possible my companion crops (cilantro and basil) are competing for nutrients. Who knows if either one is the right answer. Regardless, experimentation ensued. I have been, and will continue giving her 6.5ish pH'd water. I also top dressed with BAS Craft Blend. Entirely too much in fact. After a few days it was painfully apparent that was the wrong way to go and I had incredibly high runoff ppm. Fingers crossed, I flushed almost 3 gallons of tap water through the medium. Super scary for someone like me who leans toward under watering. To my surprise, she took it like a champ and is only showing some slight drooping and some canoeing. I expect that will improve as the medium dries over the next few days. Despite being stunted from the earlier problems, she may actually make it to the end and yield a nug or two for me to cure. It's only been 36 hours since the flush, and is probably too early to tell, but it looks like the leaf deficiencies haven't gotten worse for the time being. Yesterday was a good day for her 😎

APC 00141

Chester Day 19
75° | 49% RH | 463 µmols | 30 DLI

The Blueberry Auto is cruising along at 19 days now, looking pretty good so far. I'd almost say I'm proud of myself, but she's made it easy for me. Still a long way to go.

APC 00161

FourPlants

FourPlants

I was wondering how you were doing the other day and why I hadn't seen any notifications but those things do tend to get lost in the mix sometimes. I am happy to see Llyod kicking it and you sticking it out. 👍

ajgrows

ajgrows

I was wondering how you were doing the other day and why I hadn't seen any notifications but those things do tend to get lost in the mix sometimes. I am happy to see Llyod kicking it and you sticking it out. 👍
Yep, just keeping my expectations low and trying not to get too concerned about anything. Staying off here more tends to help that lol

Edinburgh

Edinburgh

For real leave it alone, set your light so the leaves are reaching for it, if it is 21 days old a bit of botanacare pro grow will help 1ml per gal, after you water, drain and check pH fill a 16oz cup full of water add a SMALL!!!!!!!! Splash from jug and feed don't forget to shake it, then leave them alone, unnecessary stress will cause them to dwarf out, these seedlings are 1 week from sprout note leaves are reaching for light and not shying or burning?

20211031 083248
20211031 083225
ajgrows

ajgrows

For real leave it alone, set your light so the leaves are reaching for it, if it is 21 days old a bit of botanacare pro grow will help 1ml per gal, after you water, drain and check pH fill a 16oz cup full of water add a SMALL!!!!!!!! Splash from jug and feed don't forget to shake it, then leave them alone, unnecessary stress will cause them to dwarf out, these seedlings are 1 week from sprout note leaves are reaching for light and not shying or burning?
I'm assuming this is a reply to an earlier part of my roller coaster of seedling death 😊

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You should not need to add anything. If you water like I showed you, you will have good smoke with the bare minimum of effort.
Obviously you want to do it your way so, go for it. I hope you have a fantastic harvest.

ajgrows

ajgrows

You should not need to add anything. If you water like I showed you, you will have good smoke with the bare minimum of effort.
Obviously you want to do it your way so, go for it. I hope you have a fantastic harvest.
I'm hoping the LUSH will carry it through. And I have been, with both plants. It's definitely helping me not be so manic about letting it go several days between waterings.

Treecutter

Treecutter

That's great.
Quick Reminder;
I had to do this because I'm only home twice a week and my wife will either over water or under water. She's just deadly with plants. Probably good thing I'm only home twice a week, I'd probably be in the same condition of the plants she kils.

20211031 204756
Treecutter

Treecutter

Your going to get multiple answers when your having issues with your plants posting in a Forum. You may end up worse off when you started.

What I can tell you in my
experience with autos from groing them, breeding them and stress testing them to point of very little life and bringing them back is this;
AUTOS are always suggested to grow in small pots. In most 5 gallon pots, ocean forest, supper soil etc will be nutrient deficient in less than 10 weeks. If you are going in optimum conditions with high light exposure, your calcium and magnesium will deplete very fast. Plant strains that have purple or darker colors will consume more of it.

First thing you see in auto when you start getting a cal mag deficiency is the yellowing in your lower leaves and lines in the leaves are still green. Then you'll start seeing your tips look orange and burned. Then your middle aged leaves will start turning so dark they look black and you start getting spots on your leaves that look like rust.

So an un experienced grower sees all the signs of deficiency and starts pouring recharge, bat guano, tiger bloom and everything else he has at it and two weeks later the plant is dead.

In my experience, the first thing I do when I see yellowing leaves is double dose of cal mag plus, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar and 1 Tablespoon of black strap molasses per gallon of water. Because I understand that without calcium and magnesium you going to get all those deficiency signs because you plant won't uptake the nutrients. The sugar is beneficial at a stages but when photosynthesis is screwed up of the glucose produced by photosynthesis is used for respiration.

Glucose is the starting point for the biosynthesis of materials that plants need to live. The glucose not used for respiration. It helps build the cell walls, absorb nitrogen from the soil store starch for growth in the dark cycle, raises terp profile and builds its sap production "immune System"

I grow in 7.5 gallon pots for autos and at the end its one solid root ball. Your plant probably has less than a 6 inch root ball.

Here are some autos from my last project
20210320 223005
20210314 193030
20210320 223556
20210312 200850

Treecutter

Treecutter

It screams pH to me, or possibly root issues. Too many variables to assume it's cal-mag.
Rule#1 Diagnose BEFORE treatment.
Lack of calmag and adding more nutrients causes PH and root issues. Bet his soil ec is over 3. No reason a plant that small would run out of the amount of nutrients that was thrown at it unless it was 4ft tall and had a pound of mycorrhizae in the soil to process it.

Only 2 things he can do diagnose it right the first time or flushing all the way down and start over effecting the growth severely right in the middle of flower.

The experience isn't there for the diagnosis and extra cal mag is only going to be beneficial.

Guess he can sit here and wait for 20 more opinions to get a diagnosis or give up. Or maybe its his humidity or brand of leds lol.

RULE NUMBER 1 lol just because you Ph at 6.5 doesn't mean your soil can't be 4.8 due to lack of nutrient uptake.

Last edited:
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

"Soil" is self-adjusting on pH and there is no need to play with it.
Coco is a different animal.

Treecutter

Treecutter

"Soil" is self-adjusting on pH and there is no need to play with it.
Coco is a different animal.
Maybe you've never heard of anaerobic. Been growing organic fo 30 years. 10 years of hydro. If the plant isn't absorbing nutes because of lack of uptake because of lack of secondary nutrients and the grower continues to feed the soil ph goes to high do to over production of bacteria. Soil, coco, rock etc. Bacteria and results of ph is not isolated because your growing in different substrate.
But hell thats my experience in breeding and growing both photos and autos. Maybe its different now since my last grow. Oh hell I'm running 8 grows now I better change my game.

Treecutter

Treecutter

Do you just scoop out some dirt from the pot for the slurry then? I didn't add anything to the LUSH other than the FS and Recharge. My filtered tap water is around 550 ppm.

Would a top dress be in order then? I can't imagine the soil is out of nutrients already. Wouldn't root rot be a slim chance of cause, primarily because I've overdone the dry back? What makes you think that could be a cause of the problems?
Your on the right track here with not believing the soil is out of nutrients except for 2 nutrients that you need because what I've read, you've never added it and didn't amend for it.

Top Bottom