Killing Autoflowers and Learning to Grow Organically :p

• Thread starter ajgrows
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ajgrows

ajgrows

That looks like damping off caused by Pythium. Probably caused by overwatering due to being in too large of containers at that stage.
I do think that's possible for the seedling pot, but I hardly watered any of the previous attempts in the 5 gal pots. I originally thought that was it when it happened the last 3 times, but I don't think I've applied too much, the medium is pretty dry down to about 3" below the surface.

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

I do think that's possible for the seedling pot, but I hardly watered any of the previous attempts in the 5 gal pots. I originally thought that was it when it happened the last 3 times, but I don't think I've applied too much, the medium is pretty dry down to about 3" below the surface.
Seedling roots can shoot down 3 or more inches in a few days. Try germinating seeds in deep jiffy pellets or plug trays that completely dry out quickly and need closer attention. Organic soils in particular need to dry out almost completely (almost to the point of leaf droop) between waterings or various root rots and fungal diseases will likely become a problem.

Schwer

Schwer

Supporter
Tent145

FATAL

FATAL

Just trying to keep it simple at this point to minimize more errors on my part.
I see talk about extra nutrients and Dude Grows products, that's not keeping it simple.

I saw humidity domes. Ditch all the accessories. Anything that sounds like it's going to help you besides a legit [dry] humidifier, ditch it.

You need semi fertile soil with a ph in the 6's and sufficient calcium, as cannabis seeds have relatively none of their own.

You need #1 nursery pots (0.77gal)

You need to soak the pots in water, with Ful-power

You need to put the seeds in.

You need to mist a wet spot over the seed in 2 days.

You need to keep humidity in the 60s and temps in the 80s so your Led lights will actually move some nutrient.

You need to transplant your 3 week old seedling into its final pot.

Nothing else needs to happen between these steps.

If you add nutrients, you screw up the balance.

If you add a humidity dome, soil fungus now see your seedling as soil/food.

If you buy crap from youtubers, you waste money and get stupider in the process.

If your soil is so bad it has no microbes, then get some free manure, don't buy a jug of sewage off Amazon.

You don't need to know about light science. No one growing pot needs to know that stuff.

AZsunfarmer

AZsunfarmer

Ugggggghhh. I can't for the life of me understand this. I don't even know what to do next to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Makes me want to quit I tell ya! šŸ˜” But I won't. I can't be the only person alive that can't grow some trees.

View attachment 1162830 View attachment 1162831
Is that dead Hank? Sorry bro. She was upright and beautiful! That tap root was probably way down there already in a nice happy wet spot. The only thing you should be measuring 2oz of is Woodford Reserve! If it donā€™t need 4 liters then it donā€™t need. Peace man, donā€™t stop posting till your trimming.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

That looks like damping off caused by Pythium. Probably caused by overwatering due to being in too large of containers at that stage.
I don't know about that. We go straight from germinated to final pot and never have issues.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I see talk about extra nutrients and Dude Grows products, that's not keeping it simple.

I saw humidity domes. Ditch all the accessories. Anything that sounds like it's going to help you besides a legit [dry] humidifier, ditch it.

You need semi fertile soil with a ph in the 6's and sufficient calcium, as cannabis seeds have relatively none of their own.

You need #1 nursery pots (0.77gal)

You need to soak the pots in water, with Ful-power

You need to put the seeds in.

You need to mist a wet spot over the seed in 2 days.

You need to keep humidity in the 60s and temps in the 80s so your Led lights will actually move some nutrient.

You need to transplant your 3 week old seedling into its final pot.

Nothing else needs to happen between these steps.

If you add nutrients, you screw up the balance.

If you add a humidity dome, soil fungus now see your seedling as soil/food.

If you buy crap from youtubers, you waste money and get stupider in the process.

If your soil is so bad it has no microbes, then get some free manure, don't buy a jug of sewage off Amazon.

You don't need to know about light science. No one growing pot needs to know that stuff.
You need to have your own thread and prove your whack ideas before you come start messing up other peoples grows. (Damn, I sound like Anthem. LOL)

PauliBhoy

PauliBhoy

I don't know about that. We go straight from germinated to final pot and never have issues.
Germinated with true leaves? In organic soil with fertilizers mixed in? Even if you answer yes to both of those, I'd guess you might have your soil/fertilizers/watering regime more dialed in, perhaps.
@ajgrows if this is a recurring thing, it might just be your potting soil. You could try heat treating it in an oven. Use moist soil and heat it to 140F (60C) and cook for 30 minutes. Sterilize your pots the same way (note they will take much less time to reach the temp) and try again?

Note that if you follow these instructions it should not kill most beneficial soil bacterial and mycorrhizal fungi in your mix if there is any to begin with.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Germinated with true leaves? In organic soil with fertilizers mixed in? Even if you answer yes to both of those, I'd guess you might have your soil/fertilizers/watering regime more dialed in, perhaps.
@ajgrows if this is a recurring thing, it might just be your potting soil. You could try heat treating it in an oven. Use moist soil and heat it to 140F (60C) and cook for 30 minutes. Sterilize your pots the same way (note they will take much less time to reach the temp) and try again?

Note that if you follow these instructions it should not kill most beneficial soil bacterial and mycorrhizal fungi in your mix if there is any to begin with.
No, germinated seed, not seedling. Long inch and a half tails straight into the pot. If you wait until you get leaves, the plant has already adjusted to the envrionment and you will have issues. We plant it as soon as we get a decent tail.

ajgrows

ajgrows

Is that dead Hank? Sorry bro. She was upright and beautiful! That tap root was probably way down there already in a nice happy wet spot. The only thing you should be measuring 2oz of is Woodford Reserve! If it donā€™t need 4 liters then it donā€™t need. Peace man, donā€™t stop posting till your trimming.
Yeah, I'm perplexed to say the least. Maybe I'm still watering too frequently. I might be fine in the top few inches of the big pots but the bottom could maybe be too wet somehow? I'm going to dig down to the bottom when the graveyards seem dry and check if the bottom is super wet. Really don't know at this point. I'm just sick of wasting good genetics šŸ˜ž. I am definitely going to be celebrating with some top shelf booze whenever I figure this out!

ajgrows

ajgrows

@ajgrows tell me about your lights please.
Ignore the guy in the fatsuit.
Mars Hydro TSW 2000. It's 300W at the wall on full power. I ran the last attempt at 25-30% strength at 24". I'm using the Photone app w/ paper diffuser to measure PPFD at light distance to the leaves. It was between 250-310 Āµmols.
if this is a recurring thing, it might just be your potting soil.
Maybe. I just can't get behind the idea that I happened to get two bad bags of different Fox Farms soils.

No, germinated seed, not seedling. Long inch and a half tails straight into the pot.
I'm trying one in a seedling pot again and will start another in a few days and try this also.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Fox Farms soils.
I missed this. This is not THE problem, but its not helping either. FF changed their formula and the new one sux dog meat.
You need 3 things.

1. Recharge
2. Fish Sh!T
3. A regular water filter.

Beleive it or not, the FF soils do not have everything the plants need.
In your case, even more so. we are going to eliminate the variables from the start and get you growing.

Step 1. Get a seed and germinate it. Keep it germinating until the tap root is over an inch long.

While that is happening, mix your FF with the Recharge and Fish Sh!T as directed. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.

When the tap root is over an inch long, get a pencil or something and make a hole in the center of the pot slightly deeper that the root is long. You want the seed part just barely covered by soil. Water the entire pot with filtered water. That's it.
Make sure your light is at 50% and 20 inches above the soil.

Go away and don't mess with it.
Come back the next day and Don't touch or anything but take a picture.
When you get to this point, you will get more details.

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I do a real light mist maybe twice a day during lights on, helps keep the humidity nice. You gotta remember the plant doesn't have big roots or leaf surface area to maintain, it doesn't need much.

ajgrows

ajgrows

I missed this. This is not THE problem, but its not helping either. FF changed their formula and the new one sux dog meat.
You need 3 things.

1. Recharge
2. Fish Sh!T
3. A regular water filter.

Beleive it or not, the FF soils do not have everything the plants need.
In your case, even more so. we are going to eliminate the variables from the start and get you growing.
I'm all ears...well ears with lots of questions šŸ˜ž
Like a drinking water filter? Just get filtered water from the 'fridge and dechlorinate and ph?

Step 1. Get a seed and germinate it. Keep it germinating until the tap root is over an inch long.

While that is happening, mix your FF with the Recharge and Fish Sh!T as directed. DO NOT ADD ANYTHING ELSE.

When the tap root is over an inch long, get a pencil or something and make a hole in the center of the pot slightly deeper that the root is long. You want the seed part just barely covered by soil. Water the entire pot with filtered water. That's it.
Make sure your light is at 50% and 20 inches above the soil.

Go away and don't mess with it.
Come back the next day and Don't touch or anything but take a picture.
When you get to this point, you will get more details.
Germinate, tap root length, check.

Water until runoff? A gallon? Can't too much water wash the seed out?

ajgrows

ajgrows

I do a real light mist maybe twice a day during lights on, helps keep the humidity nice. You gotta remember the plant doesn't have big roots or leaf surface area to maintain, it doesn't need much.
Gotcha, makes sense.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

I'm all ears...well ears with lots of questions šŸ˜ž
Like a drinking water filter? Just get filtered water from the 'fridge and dechlorinate and ph?

Germinate, tap root length, check.

Water until runoff? A gallon? Can't too much water wash the seed out?
Good questions.
Don't worry about de-chlorinating it. Just a basic filter to remove anything that might cause an issue.
The amount of chlorine in your tap water is small enough not to worry about unless you live in a swimming pool.

No runoff. Just water until the entire pot is wet at least 2 inches down. That's it.
This is what we use.

2021 06 23 20 04 02

Latest posts

Top Bottom