Kingbrite review

• Thread starter ZenSunniWanderer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
whitexcloud

whitexcloud

I settled for a 240w x 2 setup in the end. The price was cheaper than the 480w/HLG 550 setup and I felt it would give me more room to space the lights better for a 4x4 footprint.

I am super excited to see how this goes. Previous experience is with 1/2 600w HID's and it was a nightmare all the time.

Break even is approximately 0.4-0.5 GPW over a 16 week cycle. although if this goes well I will be investing in more with the aim to become perpetual.

Last edited:
BigCube

BigCube

I settled for a 240w x 2 setup in the end. The price was cheaper than the 480w/HLG 550 setup and I felt it would give me more room to space the lights better for a 4x4 footprint.

I am super excited to see how this goes. Previous experience is with 1/2 600w HID's and it was a nightmare all the time.

Break even is approximately 0.4-0.5 GPW over a 16 week cycle. although if this goes well I will be investing in more with the aim to become perpetual.

Nice. I run 2x240w 3000k kingbrite fixtures in a 3x3. It is definitely too much light for a 3x3. But dimmers assure I can dial the correct light levels in. I mount the boards up as high as I can, so I just adjust the dimmer to compensate for distance. No raising or lowering lights, just overkill and dimmers 🤣

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

Nice. I run 2x240w 3000k kingbrite fixtures in a 3x3. It is definitely too much light for a 3x3. But dimmers assure I can dial the correct light levels in. I mount the boards up as high as I can, so I just adjust the dimmer to compensate for distance. No raising or lowering lights, just overkill and dimmers 🤣

Nice. Hows your yields been with that setup and what strains?

Do you have the UV/IR and if so when do you use it?

BigCube

BigCube

Nice. Hows your yields been with that setup and what strains?

Do you have the UV/IR and if so when do you use it?

I didn't weigh my last crop so I dont ha e a number for you, but I was happy with it. I'll be harvesting in a couple weeks, I'll get some totals then.

Been running Gelato. I only supplement with deep red, about 40w of it. Only in mid to late flower for 5 to 6 hours a day (in the middle of the 12).

But I'm not sure if having the red on all the time would make a difference or not.

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

I did some research on UV and IR and it all seemed pretty positive tbh. I think I will just run it for 12hrs / day during flower because they are switches on the QB's and I dont want to have to time them etc

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

When i can light a 4x4 with current tech for about $350 i will consider this more.

The blockbuster reflectors i use should cost a lot more than a plastic and aluminum panel led with a computer driver and some wire. 2 layers of steel and good glass and a nice auto quality finish that doesnt have a scratch on it still. I paid $150 each years ago. Even with 5 years of replacement bulbs i have not spent enough for an overpriced led. I just got 2 new top of the line ballasts for half price too. And the old ones still work fine.

Shame growers paid so much for led they helped artificially price up the market.

You can currently buy two 240w quantum boards for under $350 shipped. That would give you 30w per ft sq. It's getting much closer to your target price. 600w would likely be your sweet spot.

I have 6 of those lights purchased and with shipping, I'm right at $1000. The issue with having warranty work from a China factory would be a bigger problem than the pricing in my eyes.

BigCube

BigCube

You can currently buy two 240w quantum boards for under $350 shipped. That would give you 30w per ft sq. It's getting much closer to your target price. 600w would likely be your sweet spot.

I have 6 of those lights purchased and with shipping, I'm right at $1000. The issue with having warranty work from a China factory would be a bigger problem than the pricing in my eyes.

That's why I like how modular quantum boards are. You can but the boards and drivers all separate, for a decent price. I think rather than dealing with warranty stuff, I would just fix it myself. 🤣

SkunkyDunk

SkunkyDunk

Supporter
That's why I like how modular quantum boards are. You can but the boards and drivers all separate, for a decent price. I think rather than dealing with warranty stuff, I would just fix it myself. 🤣

/\ This!

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

That's exactly what I would do ... fix it myself. I doubt I would even try to fix a burnt led. I would likely just replace the whole burnt panel and be done with it. I do want to get at least 1 more so I have it on the shelf just in case.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

One thing I've considered is the 2 panel units versus the 4 panel units is the 4 panel only has 1 driver, if it fails the whole light fails. If using 4 with the 2 panel units and you lose a driver you only lose half the system.

Also replacing the 240w driver is much cheaper than replacing the 480.

whitexcloud

whitexcloud

Well the reason for me getting 2x240w panels was that not only was the cost per w and cost of freight cheaper, but it allows me to better fit the units in the space for even light distribution.

If this goes well I will purchase some more units in a couple of month, some 4000k specifically for veg and 1 more 240w to make my system 720w 4 x 4

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Well the reason for me getting 2x240w panels was that not only was the cost per w and cost of freight cheaper, but it allows me to better fit the units in the space for even light distribution.

If this goes well I will purchase some more units in a couple of month, some 4000k specifically for veg and 1 more 240w to make my system 720w 4 x 4
720 + dimmers would be perfect for a 4 x 4. Only thing different in my most recent order to Kingbrite is flu. All others came in less than a week from China. This order may take a bit longer to arrive due to shelter in place orders through out the USA. I hope it doesn't, but if it does, it's the mail system and not Kingbrite.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I should have said not from a chinese megafactory I dont trust at all after dealing with similar companies in the furniture business.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I should have said not from a chinese megafactory I dont trust at all after dealing with similar companies in the furniture business.

Your point is valid. To be honest, I think all the quantum boards are made by the same factory ... and then branded for re-sellers. Obviously with electronics, there is a variation of quality between 1 reseller and another. 1 might use quality components like an inline fuse for protection and another might not. Or a cheap plug that isn't water proof and another might provide a sealed tight water proof one. There's a huge difference between resellers so your instinct is warranted.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Your point is valid. To be honest, I think all the quantum boards are made by the same factory ... and then branded for re-sellers. Obviously with electronics, there is a variation of quality between 1 reseller and another. 1 might use quality components like an inline fuse for protection and another might not. Or a cheap plug that isn't water proof and another might provide a sealed tight water proof one. There's a huge difference between resellers so your instinct is warranted.

There are many factories. they specialize in counterfeit production. There are no laws to stop them from faking any part.

If the price is much lower than competitors that would mean something is not equal in my experience. And i dont mean a connector or fuse.

and i honestly cant believe anyone would order a light from china during this pandemic. Maybe less overseas shipping would be a good idea?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

There are many factories. they specialize in counterfeit production. There are no laws to stop them from faking any part.

If the price is much lower than competitors that would mean something is not equal in my experience. And i dont mean a connector or fuse.

and i honestly cant believe anyone would order a light from china during this pandemic. Maybe less overseas shipping would be a good idea?

I was using the connector or fuse link as an example. I said all "quantum boards." I'm not including knock-off's. Counterfeiting is a concern if you don't have prior experience or reviews of the vendor.

I'm less concerned about the "shipped from China" part than I am about all the hands that have been handling it. Again, I think your concerns are valid.

detroiit

detroiit

Hey don’t worry about ordering man I just got 10 HLG 480w with cree reds in and legit on front door in 5 days.

Question if anyone can answer the top of the heat sink and the sides of driver I cannot touch for over 5 seconds its hot! Anyone else experience this?

Top Bottom