Kingbrite review

• Thread starter ZenSunniWanderer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

take a 1/4" copper tube cut it to 2 " pices and get 2.5"screws and your done.....

Or pvc pipe ... lots of ways to make a stand-off.

It probably would still be a good idea to see if the driver is operating in the ranges specified by Meanwell. It probably is, but it doesn't hurt to be sure.

detroiit

detroiit

Okay I will get the readings today. Ima have to grab my temp gun from a friend cannot find mine of course. I will post readings by mid afternoon for sure. Also stand off good idea I thought about that...will pvc be safe or can it get to hot maybe go copper or metal...and the whole reason of standing it off is to keep the heat from transferring to heat sink right? Can’t believe they aren’t designed like this by standard be it kingbrite or HLG.

basscaptain

basscaptain

at 100% your driver is going to get HOT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> No PVC.....................................
it will melt it.................................

basscaptain

basscaptain

Okay I will get the readings today. Ima have to grab my temp gun from a friend cannot find mine of course. I will post readings by mid afternoon for sure. Also stand off good idea I thought about that...will pvc be safe or can it get to hot maybe go copper or metal...and the whole reason of standing it off is to keep the heat from transferring to heat sink right? Can’t believe they aren’t designed like this by standard be it kingbrite or HLG.
ya if your going to buy the stuff just get some pipe allready cut...... I said copper cause I have it and it would look Good and work great.......

basscaptain

basscaptain

all my drivers run HOT @100%

if you back it off just a 1/8 there's a big diff.......

But I have to run 100% right now...........

detroiit

detroiit

@basscaptain that sounds like a plan ill get some 1/4 copper cut up and put them under the drive and thread the screw through. What size are those bolts that go into the driver 1/4" I feel like they are even smaller? So at 100% the driver and heatsink will be hot to touch no matter what then correct? But with standoffs move some of the heat from the driver off the heat sink ya?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

PVC won't melt under normal working temps. You'll be fine. There's so many other materials though. I mentioned the pvc and the washers ... BigCube mentioned copper tube. My point in my suggestion was for you to hopefully find something you already have laying around that would be suitable to the task. Many things will work. You'll have to decide what works best for you ...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

@basscaptain that sounds like a plan ill get some 1/4 copper cut up and put them under the drive and thread the screw through. What size are those bolts that go into the driver 1/4" I feel like they are even smaller? So at 100% the driver and heatsink will be hot to touch no matter what then correct? But with standoffs move some of the heat from the driver off the heat sink ya?

Or bolts and some extra nuts threaded down to create the stand-off ... see what you have laying around.

basscaptain

basscaptain

Mine get hot I wouldn't use PVC MiG....at alll

I can't hold on to my driver's.....at 100% For more then a few seconds.....

detroiit

detroiit

Gotcha thanks maybe also I like the double nut and longer screw idea then dont have to cut copper but then wont be able to get desired height as precise lol

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Mine get hot I wouldn't use PVC MiG....at alll

It will hold up to the temperatures at over 200 degrees. I don't think those drivers are operating above 180 F. Bolts are conductive. PVC isn't. The driver is grounded through the plug so that really shouldn't be an issue ... but you get my drift. It's more about seeing what he has laying around than heading out. At least in my area we've been told to stay home.

detroiit

detroiit

@basscaptain so your driver is not on there right now? But if it was you would have it sitting on the nut and run screw through your showing?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Gotcha thanks maybe also I like the double nut and longer screw idea then dont have to cut copper but then wont be able to get desired height as precise lol

If you use a longer bolt a couple of washers and 3 nuts, you can bolt the standoff directly to the heatsink and use the threads of the other 2 nuts to precisely adjust driver heights.

Picture the bolt BassCaptain showed you turned the other way, washer, nut. Tighten the bolt to the heatsink Using the other nut and washer, set your driver heights. Put driver over bolt and using the last nut, tighten both nuts together sandwiching the driver between them.

detroiit

detroiit

I like that! and on the bottom of heatsink there is another washer im assuming to keep the screw from coming out.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I like that! and on the bottom of heatsink there is another washer im assuming to keep the screw from coming out.
If you use washers, the bolt/screw won't pull through. Also, you're guaranteed that your bolt won't slide and get the nut caught in the fins of the heatsink and will help hold the bolt square to the surface of the heatsink. And from an engineering stand-point, using washers would be the correct way to do this. LOL

Top Bottom