L.E.D. Argument Thread For Dummies:)

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Miiikke

Miiikke

Is this blurple? Is that bad? bulbs are 80 true watts each. Are there didferent types of leds? Can wattage on one type account for more then on another?

0BF042C6 0F0C 4E2D 8AB8 31D935C741D0
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Is this blurple? Is that bad? bulbs are 80 true watts each. Are there didferent types of leds? Can wattage on one type account for more then on another?
It's much more complicated than just "blurples are bad". My opinion on them is that they have their uses but I wouldn't use them as my main source of light. The first thing to consider is the effect of the spectrum itself. Blue and red light are the most photosynthetically active spectrums of light meaning they produce the most growth per umol. Red is a bit better but causes elongated internodes. The added blue can counter the red and cause optimal internodes. The added green in full spectrum lights has a much smaller effect on growth as compared to red and blue. It does significantly help the grower identify discoloration on plants which in my opinion isn't too important because you can just use a flashlight or the flash on your phone once a day instead.

Apart from spectrum, there is also efficiency. Since humans prefer full spectrum light, it is the most studied and manufactured spectrum of diode. This means that a lot more research goes into creating the best diode for humans than the best diode for plants. This research has resulted in incredible advancements in white diodes making them extremely efficient. Blue and purple diodes on the other hand don't get a nearly as much research done into them resulting in a lack of quality/efficiency. Having an efficient LED is important because it helps the grower maintain lower temperatures, produces more light and lasts longer.

To answer your question about different types of LEDs, I'm not sure what you mean but I'll answer that to my best ability.

LED fixtrues are made up of tens, hundreds or thousands of individual diodes. The three main configurations of the LEDs at the moment are QBs (quantum boards), COBs and strips. A simplification of the benefits and weaknesses of each is that the closer together the diodes are, the cheaper they are to buy, but the more heat they share making them run less efficiently which causes more heat and less light. This heat can be combatted by using bigger/better heat sinks and/or fans.

A while ago, I had the same questions as you so I made a thread about it and I think you will find the answers to every light question you can think of there.

Miiikke

Miiikke

It's much more complicated than just "blurples are bad". My opinion on them is that they have their uses but I wouldn't use them as my main source of light. The first thing to consider is the effect of the spectrum itself. Blue and red light are the most photosynthetically active spectrums of light meaning they produce the most growth per umol. Red is a bit better but causes elongated internodes. The added blue can counter the red and cause optimal internodes. The added green in full spectrum lights has a much smaller effect on growth as compared to red and blue. It does significantly help the grower identify discoloration on plants which in my opinion isn't too important because you can just use a flashlight or the flash on your phone once a day instead.

Apart from spectrum, there is also efficiency. Since humans prefer full spectrum light, it is the most studied and manufactured spectrum of diode. This means that a lot more research goes into creating the best diode for humans than the best diode for plants. This research has resulted in incredible advancements in white diodes making them extremely efficient. Blue and purple diodes on the other hand don't get a nearly as much research done into them resulting in a lack of quality/efficiency. Having an efficient LED is important because it helps the grower maintain lower temperatures, produces more light and lasts longer.

To answer your question about different types of LEDs, I'm not sure what you mean but I'll answer that to my best ability.

LED fixtrues are made up of tens, hundreds or thousands of individual diodes. The three main configurations of the LEDs at the moment are QBs (quantum boards), COBs and strips. A simplification of the benefits and weaknesses of each is that the closer together the diodes are, the cheaper they are to buy, but the more heat they share making them run less efficiently which causes more heat and less light. This heat can be combatted by using bigger/better heat sinks and/or fans.

A while ago, I had the same questions as you so I made a thread about it and I think you will find the answers to every light question you can think of there.

Thanks so much!! So by full spectrum you must mean white, which I thought all led grow lights have those colors, I use cfls for clones and seedlings, and added them in in my last flower. Would cfls balance the spectrum out, cause I considered that? Its crazy cause we dont see the sun in colors, well I guess with the right angle of humidity, I just notice the ones that say grow lights have the red blue and green, but I here people talk bad on blurple, I pay $75 for each 4 (80 true watts each) I just wonder can I count them as good led true watts or “shitty blurple” or is that the people who fully dont understand what they’re saying? Ill your thread thanks 🤦🏻‍♂️😂

Last edited:
gorillaglueaaron

gorillaglueaaron

🦍
Supporter
Thanks so much!! So by full spectrum you must mean white, which I thought all led grow lights have those colors, I use cfls for clones and seedlings, and added them in in my ladt flower. Would cfls balance the spectrum out, cause I considered that?
Cfls usually have a good spectrum for small plants so that's good. It's not really about balancing out the spectrum but more about creating the desired spectrum. If you have mostly purple light, a bit of white won't do much. If you plants need more light, then don't be afraid to add in the extra light though.

Miiikke

Miiikke

Cfls usually have a good spectrum for small plants so that's good. It's not really about balancing out the spectrum but more about creating the desired spectrum. If you have mostly purple light, a bit of white won't do much. If you plants need more light, then don't be afraid to add in the extra light though.
It doesnt really seem purple, it has each bulb has 80 red, 24 blue and 6 green. They were suppose to be good for veg and flower, they almost out off kind of a white light, just a colorful white light!

Devlin1242

Devlin1242

I've been doing an led and a hps side by side grow. Both seem to have different benefits and downsides. One obvious one is that the led is cheaper in utility expense, hps has more light penetration though it gets hotter and has a larger heat field below the light. There's a few other. Actual R and D testing with control subjects. Grow hasn't reached harvest just yet still a week or 2 out for yield analysis and still taking down things along the way.

Cannabisvalleyfarms

Cannabisvalleyfarms

I have been using LEDs from California light works, the solar system 1100. What i like about leds is during veg, i can use more blue and less red spectrum. For flower I use more red spectrum and dial back the blue.
I love the sunset/sunrise function. Also supposedly it uses 40% less power than a traditional Hps at 1100 watts

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Lot's of great info goes down here, LED's are still evolving, HPS & other lights have been around longer. I enjoy R&D so, I have LED's. Never used HPS or other types. I'll hide an watch.
Im just the opposite never tried a LED in bloom SCARED to, i do use 2 750 DE Gavita with a plasma My plants like that and when I added the plasma it was like someone flipped a switch my terpines, oils and flavor was VERY NOTICEABLE! Thats my experience anyways that's why i dont use a LED in bloom and also i can manage my heat because Im in a 12 x10 room w 8ft ceiling in the basement tganks for listening ✌

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Im just the opposite never tried a LED in bloom SCARED to, i do use 2 750 DE Gavita with a plasma My plants like that and when I added the plasma it was like someone flipped a switch my terpines, oils and flavor was VERY NOTICEABLE! Thats my experience anyways that's why i dont use a LED in bloom and also i can manage my heat because Im in a 12 x10 room w 8ft ceiling in the basement tganks for listening ✌
I failed to mention i have my lights on a mover as well works GREAT!

top040

top040

It’s 2021 man people are pussies now days , can’t take criticism, and the list goes on ..... I think it started with participation trophies! Lmao
I can take criticism but I would rather have it with a bit of humble .. how about this way suggestions

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I can take criticism but I would rather have it with a bit of humble .. how about this way suggestions
Yeah i agree with moshman although tact isn't a bad idea and you know honestly if you think your the best and have the best you are a close minded individual sad for you✌

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Thanks so much!! So by full spectrum you must mean white, which I thought all led grow lights have those colors, I use cfls for clones and seedlings, and added them in in my last flower. Would cfls balance the spectrum out, cause I considered that? Its crazy cause we dont see the sun in colors, well I guess with the right angle of humidity, I just notice the ones that say grow lights have the red blue and green, but I here people talk bad on blurple, I pay $75 for each 4 (80 true watts each) I just wonder can I count them as good led true watts or “shitty blurple” or is that the people who fully dont understand what they’re saying? Ill your thread thanks 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
My friend what we see is visible light TOTALLY different than what the plant sees myself i clone and veg under a Core next light with a Gavita uvr strip in the center works well and as for bloom i use 2 750 Gavita DEwith a Gavita plasma LEP Google those or the LEC lights those are a full spectrum light and also something else to consider is the micro moles of the lights you use I've learned QUALITY of light with GOOD FULL spectrum and canopy PENETRATION is better than a LARGE amount of low QUALITY light just trying to help

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

Sorry but ??? Does that work?? What kind of flavor and growth are you getting im curious

top040

top040

I’ve put this thread together for all you passionate led hardcore members.
When your in someone’s thread and decide you don’t like what that guys saying about you, his, hers, there’s, them, etc led’s and want to highjack someone’s thread to get a little pissy this is the place for you.
Rules
No name calling
No trolling

I want to thank the fellow member @gorillaglueaaron that made the suggestion for all the wise ass argumentative types that get so easily offended:)
have at it!!
I will be lightly monitoring this thread

regards
1Diesel1
I guess all the other crap followed you here , was hoping to learn something but most of what I see is members spewing bullcrap all over the place

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I guess all the other crap followed you here , was hoping to learn something but most of what I see is members spewing bullcrap all over the place
When your in someone’s thread and decide you don’t like what that guys saying about you, his, hers, there’s, them, etc led’s and want to highjack someone’s thread to get a little pissy this is the place for you.

top040

top040

thanks ... It's you're and I think I'll just call it a day and go to some other spot .. have a good one

Top Bottom