LED/ HPS/ CMH= WTF

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lots of great info in there but there are some newer lights out since then... It's really developing fast I think LEDs are at the point they can compete now but I don't blame the hid guys for waiting and being leery. When led first came out all the hype was bogus and I'm sure that left a bad taste.

Also like anything the right tool for the job. I still feel LED excels in scrogs, sog and tents. In cases like @1diesel1 I can't say but I too would be leery as it's not as proven in applications yet.

I think the results in that thread show cobs are able to replace hps. Timber stopped selling quantum boards and says cobs used without the reflectors yield the best led results.

Im sure he is messing with strips and supplemental reds by now. He built a whole building just to outfit it with his custom led’s.

But low powered quantum boards dont seem to get deep enough into the canopy for my style. The new strips can get closer and seem to do better. And they would help me with my height limitation.

newh

newh

Lots of that going around in the last couple years.

It's a giant delicious fresh baked pie full of money and recognition. Lots of people are climbing over each other stepping on hands and heads to secure the tiniest piece of that pie. It shows you what people are really like, and more times than not, its ugly.

When I was younger I played paintball, when it was in its infancy. This one guy starts a company called smart parts then proceeds to patent everything. This guy didn't invent any of those things. He just copied them and patented them.

He effectively killed many of the very first paintball inventers and manufacturers businesses.
Not only did they not get any profit out of their inventions, they actually had to pay royalties to smart parts if they wanted to keep making and selling the stuff they themselves invented.

Yeah man, new horizons full of $ makes devils of saints.
just wait till patents start coming out on seeds and strains,someone was already trying to copywright "cheese" strains

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think the results in that thread show cobs are able to replace hps. Timber stopped selling quantum boards and says cobs used without the reflectors yield the best led results.

Im sure he is messing with strips and supplemental reds by now. He built a whole building just to outfit it with his custom led’s.

But low powered quantum boards dont seem to get deep enough into the canopy for my style. The new strips can get closer and seem to do better. And they would help me with my height limitation.
I would like to see some numbers from other growers on their exact lights. I think this could help solidify some speculation. I got a feeling your right about the cobs penetration. I think this is a big part of why we see such differing opinions on LED in general. LED is not LED. And grow style with differing LED i got a feeling plays a huge role

newh

newh

@1diesel1 I know you have seen my grow diary and what I am accomplishing with 240 watts of 4000K LED boards. I know I am not growing the same trees you are but I still feel I get good penetration. But if you really want serious penetration from LEDs there is only 1 way to go in my opinion, Spectrum King ( either the SK402 or SK602) units. I have seen them grow the same trees you allow your plants to get to, so it may be a brand to consider. They are not cheap units but if you can find refurbished or used ones they would be well worth the investment. They will also replace any malfunctioning parts or do repairs to just about any unit regardless of warranty; though they will charge you for shipping at least. They can be a bit tough to deal with when trying to get units repaired but the quality of the units is absolutely top of the line. They are best utilized in high-bay operations so penetration is precisely what they are built to do. These are not tent friendly units.
I think theres 2 versions of the sks one for low ceilings one for high

damien50

damien50

I'm glad you said something. I was speaking with a commercial grower earlier this week that believed he could do a 100 plant sog in a 4x4 space with a 1000w HPS and yield comparable results to his Fluence setup. He doesn't like the Fluence lights and, in my opinion, not only didn't do his research but didn't know what he was actually looking for.

I built my light using strips because in all honesty it was my second choice for LEDs but it was the most efficient and cost effective choice for my indoor growing. I can't control my environment as well as someone with a dedicated room or mini split so I do what I believe can make my plants perform the best under the circumstances. The build I wanted was a 12- 16 cob fixture because I had seen the penetration that heisenbubble had achieved compared to his CHM and DE lights.

I still want to build cobs but they cost a lot more. I think the cobs having lenses really improved penetration though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm glad you said something. I was speaking with a commercial grower earlier this week that believed he could do a 100 plant sog in a 4x4 space with a 1000w HPS and yield comparable results to his Fluence setup. He doesn't like the Fluence lights and, in my opinion, not only didn't do his research but didn't know what he was actually looking for.

I built my light using strips because in all honesty it was my second choice for LEDs but it was the most efficient and cost effective choice for my indoor growing. I can't control my environment as well as someone with a dedicated room or mini split so I do what I believe can make my plants perform the best under the circumstances. The build I wanted was a 12- 16 cob fixture because I had seen the penetration that heisenbubble had achieved compared to his CHM and DE lights.

I still want to build cobs but they cost a lot more. I think the cobs having lenses really improved penetration though.

I remember that thread. And timber says better par and can keep the light much closer without reflectors.

But like you just said we all have different situations and needs.

Midwest toker has shown strips he built to work way better than his de 750’s here too. I think he said he equaled the hps with around 500 watts.

He said quality was the same. Many are saying better terpenes which makes sense without the ir cooking them.

damien50

damien50

I remember that thread. And timber says better par and can keep the light much closer without reflectors.

But like you just said we all have different situations and needs.

Midwest toker has shown strips he built to work way better than his de 750’s here too. I think he said he equaled the hps with around 500 watts.

He said quality was the same. Many are saying better terpenes which makes sense without the ir cooking them.

I can do QBs or bridgelux builds for all roughly around $500 if I don't cheap out for a 4x4 at 480-600 watts. Rapid offers a 4x4 array for around $900 and Timber is slightly cheaper. I can't afford the cobs but I can afford the strips.

So my ideal setup might be a 128 plant sog in an 8x4 but realistically I would still use strips or QBs, I may suffer in yield but I think with dialing in I could figure the maximum depth and make them work for me. Realistically I can't afford 1 or even 3 of Timber's offerings but I could build 3 strip fixtures for slightly more money.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
how much do those trees drink and feed?Do you use some system to keep em all going?
In mid flower average 45-55 gallons a week.
I go by weight of the bucket before feeding.
I feed all by hand. Once a week I’ll mix 20 gallons of bone meal and flush them all with that.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
i don’t think it’s the lights especially since you are blending.JMO
At some point they got stressed and now they just do not wanting to come out of it.
It’s happened to me before. Sometimes it’s a root issue sometimes a compaction issue sometimes over rootbound or just a cold spell hit.
Ramp up your day temps to 85 and 75 at night and they might snap out of it.
Good call bro! That’s exactly what I did. And yes they were root boundbefore transplanting.

needshelpguy

needshelpguy

The truth is most people will grow their own without any knowledge and then sell their family and friends moldy weed.

I see that here every season.

I think everyone should be allowed to grow. But I sure dont think most people should.
I agree I never realised how much weed contains mold until i had my own mold problem and had to throw 4 ounces out then all my other weed that may or may not have been affected look pretty much the same as the moldy weed. Am now very scepticle when given weed from friends to smoke. I now dont smoke outdoor weed for this reason

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

I agree I never realised how much weed contains mold until i had my own mold problem and had to throw 4 ounces out then all my other weed that may or may not have been affected look pretty much the same as the moldy weed. Am now very scepticle when given weed from friends to smoke. I now dont smoke outdoor weed for this reason
Yet somehow we survived the days of Mexican brick weed. I can't even imagine what impurities we smoked back then and, we liked it. 😂

Top Bottom