LED light vs HPS light yield / watt

• Thread starter GrowUp777
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lbezy

lbezy

I have replacement plants that that are ready to go there in 18 on 6 1week so I'm trimming I veg under the high pressure sodiums for one week just to get them used to it and then flip the switch so what don't you understand I have every size plant ready to go for each harvest and the clones I cut clones early sometimes a week before at the beginning of the 63 days a week before I harvest . This is an vvertical I would run , bare bulbs this was. Chocolate diesel..

IMG 20211127 140127 01
lbezy

lbezy

Those would be for following harvest . So I keep 75 clones , my plant count then would vary teens in cups , I like to go to a one gallon next if I can , and final transplant is in # 5 pot , under T-5 6500k
Fixtures. My veg requires added humidity , and I use a environmental controller and 1600 watts in t-5 z . My veg growth is pretty fast

extractoilminussixty

extractoilminussixty

So a minute, based on electric consumption wouldn’t it take 2.2
1000W (2255 Watts) LEDs to equal 1 1000W HPS ???
(All my LEDs pull 44.3% of advertised light rating).

Or when you guys say 1000W Led are you inferring 1000Watt wall pull ?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So a minute, based on electric consumption wouldn’t it take 2.2
1000W (2255 Watts) LEDs to equal 1 1000W HPS ???
(All my LEDs pull 44.3% of advertised light rating).

Or when you guys say 1000W Led are you inferring 1000Watt wall pull ?
Advertised equivalent wattage and true wattage are not the same and miles apart. If your LED says 1000w it's likely a cheapo

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ive noticed the big 1000watters mention to use with co2 .
Absolutely. Running light intensity at the canopy above 1100 ppfd requires Co2 to get any benefit from the extra light. It'll actually do more harm than good. For a naturally ventilated grow room 900-1000 ppfd is ideal, a 1kw LED is capable of 1500 ppfd+, it's way overkill and you'll never see the benefit of all its extra photon power without Co2 levels in the 1200-1400 range.

You can get to 1100 ppfd fairly easily with 650wLED or 1Kw HID. Even the smaller SE5000 will get to 1000ppfd.

BDH420

BDH420

I still run my Old SunSystem 1000watt analog switchable ballast with air cooled hood I got in 1998. I do want to upgrade as the electric bill from it is out of control. To the point I haven't run my indoor setup in 2 years. My other half she started using my veg and flower rooms for crafts and storage. I have just been doing outdoors. Which has been fun anyway. But I would love to get it all back up and running. I miss the smell of fresh cannabis and coffee in the morning. I also miss growing enough cannabis that I don't mind experimenting with things like bubble hash and rosin. I got a great yield this year outside. But since there's only one harvest a year. I have to make it last. So no Bubble. I do sift my trim and press it.

Ponky

Ponky

I still run my Old SunSystem 1000watt analog switchable ballast with air cooled hood I got in 1998. I do want to upgrade as the electric bill from it is out of control. To the point I haven't run my indoor setup in 2 years. My other half she started using my veg and flower rooms for crafts and storage. I have just been doing outdoors. Which has been fun anyway. But I would love to get it all back up and running. I miss the smell of fresh cannabis and coffee in the morning. I also miss growing enough cannabis that I don't mind experimenting with things like bubble hash and rosin. I got a great yield this year outside. But since there's only one harvest a year. I have to make it last. So no Bubble. I do sift my trim and press it.
New digital ballast is cheap. Save you 12 to 20 percent in cost on juice.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Are you getting close to 2 lbs a light . That's the standard these days but I had 20 raptors in my basement with hotilux single end bulbs and got 2 lbs per light of fire, headband and ECSD so if you have 2 lights , yeild is very important , you agree ?
Agreed; it's important. But it's also very highly space dependent. I'm in a much more confined area than most growers, so I try to fudge things as much as I can. But 2 lb. per DE should be pretty standard I would imagine.

I think perhaps your getting better efficiency by hanging your lights like you do, your DE setup is sweet. Mine were in hood, so half was reflected back, and some efficiency lost. If I was you; and your living up north; I would consider a hybrid approach going forward. Keep your HPS and maybe replace a few to cut down you cost; while maintaining what you need for heat generation. Could be done in phases also, so it's not killing you on price.

But I would look into a setup whereas you can maintence your LEDs. With a setup like yours, maintence and long term cost should be part of your strategy. Also; I would be looking hard at those LM301H diodes, cause of how they signal plant growth; noding. It would be the best approach IMO. Focus on Low temps, (3000->3500K).

Last edited:
lbezy

lbezy

Agreed; it's important. But it's also very highly space dependent. I'm in a much more confined area than most growers, so I try to fudge things as much as I can. But 2 lb. per DE should be pretty standard I would imagine.

I think perhaps your getting better efficiency by hanging your lights like you do, your DE setup is sweet. Mine were in hood, so half was reflected back, and some efficiency lost. If I was you; and your living up north; I would consider a hybrid approach going forward. Keep your HPS and maybe replace a few to cut down you cost; while maintaining what you need for heat generation. Could be done in phases also, so it's not killing you on price.

But I would look into a setup whereas you can maintence your LEDs. With a setup like yours, maintence and long term cost should be part of your strategy. Also; I would be looking hard at those LM301H diodes, cause of how they signal plant growth; noding. It would be the best approach IMO. Focus on Low temps, (3000->3500K).
I'll figure it out , I did last harvest using my 16 bulb 5-5 fixtures at this point I'm NOT giving up on my DE I'm buying new hotilux bulbs and gonna kick ass as I try to always do , with success comes $ so being successful is the the key . I'm done on this subject , got bigger fish to fry . I getting ready to have to deal with state compliance , zoning , banned substances, I have no time to argue apples and oranges . I honestly came on here to help someone who really needs it to remind myself why I love what I do , and still have love for the plant . Thanks for your input .

LB

MedicalOnly

MedicalOnly

I'll figure it out , I did last harvest using my 16 bulb 5-5 fixtures at this point I'm NOT giving up on my DE I'm buying new hotilux bulbs and gonna kick ass as I try to always do , with success comes $ so being successful is the the key . I'm done on this subject , got bigger fish to fry . I getting ready to have to deal with state compliance , zoning , banned substances, I have no time to argue apples and oranges . I honestly came on here to help someone who really needs it to remind myself why I love what I do , and still have love for the plant . Thanks for your input .

LB
Youll see better results from Philips AGRO+ Plus Double-Ended High Pressure Sodium EL DE Lamp (Previously GreenPower)

MedicalOnly

MedicalOnly

Not sure what ya mean? This true wattage but an absolute waste if you ask me. Can explain more later if ya want. But yeah that's not a cheapo. Most are
Why would it be a waste? For example, compared to the best de hps at full power its 60% more power and 30-40% less heat with a much better coverage area.

The hlg 650r diablo only has low 90 ppfd at the outer corners in a 5x5 at 24". With the photontek at 75% power you get 1000ppfd in the center with the corners all over 600.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Why would it be a waste? For example, compared to the best de hps at full power its 60% more power and 30-40% less heat with a much better coverage area.

The hlg 650r diablo only has low 90 ppfd at the outer corners in a 5x5 at 24". With the photontek at 75% power you get 1000ppfd in the center with the corners all over 600.
Because you now looking at it like a mathematician.

1000ppfd at the corners and how much in the middle?

Then how high do you hang it? Remember the high the more light wasted to light bleed missing the plants. It's no better than the 600w ones that can be kept closer. All that extra wattage is going towards wasted light not being used by the plants because you need to hang it high so you don't cook em.

Try a gavita 1700e and see if you can put it 6" away because that essentially what you would be doing.

Mathematically you are correct but practically its a waste.

Top Bottom