• Start date
  • Tagged users None
SinCity

SinCity

Aug 22
Aug 22 2
Greatlakes

Greatlakes

What all does that 30$ pay for, and what do you source yourself for free?

Do you have your own soil?
My soil is $15 a yard (200 gallons) for aged chopped manure. That even includes delivery. So each of my pots gets $7.5 worth.

The nutes I use in soil is $6 per plant
The azomite equals 2 dollars a plant
And the top dress is $3.75 (that includes both the times I top dressed per plant.

Hay mulch is 2 bucks a plant
And the chicken wire and garden fabric is $4.
The only thing left is what I paid for for the molasses Epsom salt liquid kelp and earth juice bloom which is 4 per plant.

Total is actually 29.

P.s. I didn't calculate the cost of the seeds because this yr they were all gifted for trade of the jelly dream seeds I made.

Edit. I forgot the neem silica and lady bugs so add another 5 bucks.

Last edited:
1stonedman

1stonedman

My soil is $15 a yard (200 gallons) for aged chopped manure. That even includes delivery. So each of my pots gets $7.5 worth.

The nutes I use in soil is $6 per plant
The azomite equals 2 dollars a plant
And the top dress is $3.75 (that includes both the times I top dressed per plant.

Hay mulch is 2 bucks a plant
And the chicken wire and garden fabric is $4.
The only thing left is what I paid for for the molasses Epsom salt liquid kelp and earth juice bloom which is 4 per plant.

Total is actually 29.

P.s. I didn't calculate the cost of the seeds because this yr they were all gifted for trade of the jelly dream seeds I made.

Edit. I forgot the neem silica and lady bugs so add another 5 bucks.

So you use aged chopped manure as your primary grow median? Would have thought that would be too hot to plant directly into.

Thanks for sharing

Greatlakes

Greatlakes

So you use aged chopped manure as your primary grow median? Would have thought that would be too hot to plant directly into.

Thanks for sharing
Composted manure isnt hot at all. Mine is 8 or 9 yrs old. The average npk for composted manure is .5/.5/.5
That is why I have to add amendments to it because it's so weak.

SinCity

SinCity

No till, regenerative! No more buying soil for me! Or bottles either! Excited for harvest!

i hear you--i do. and of course, the methods any of us choose are generally a function of whatever our particular locations, resources/situations, and goals are at that particular time. i'm having a great time learning about the world of outdoor. seeing how big they can get is fucking amazing. using the sun (!!!) is amazing. living soils are amazing.
BUT....it's my job to make the numbers work. More precisely, it's my job to make sure my little circle of my loved ones are choosing the type of work that has the most optomalizable numbers.
When I saw the size plants @1diesel1 and @Average are getting out of small containers, well, i could see that the whole calculus i was using for outdoor was based on false assumptions. When it comes to production, what i learned first and what i know best is indoor. Lights, reservoirs, lava rocks, ppms and pHs, climate control--and clean rooms. indoor i know; indoor i understand. i was living in new york city in the 1990s--growing there makes you think about the utilization of every square foot there were only a few genomes grown indoors--and everything around me was from a few proven moms already selected from running seeds from well-stabilized strains smuggled in from Amsterdam. so really you only had a few genotypes you needed to learn--it was easy to know how those genotypes could/would express phenotypically. Again, cuz it was inside. And they were cuttings. lol.
Once i saw how large a plant size those two gentlemen were getting, with that small a physical footprint outside, with small containers, small amounts of growing medium, small amounts of nutrients (plus free electricity and ventilation lol). it's like all my memory of indoor came flooding back. and all my assumptions about outdoor came down. i was thinking about the numbers for full-season outdoor in the wrong way. the physical space and resources needed to get a plant pretty fucking big outside is alot smaller than i thought. my plants are only slightly larger than what @1diesel1 has. but he has it at a fraction of the cost in money, time, and labor i'm spending on a full outdoor season. our yields per plant will probably not differ all that much. in fact, his smaller plant count could let him give each plant more individualized attention and make more improvements to his site's overall infrastructure and functions--which could increase his yield per plant over mine. especially if we subtract what i might lose to weather (mold) and what i lose if i don't harvest and trim all the smalls myself. and add in that @1diesel1 is able to harvest everything at once, and dry, cure, and store in a proper climate in a proper building. AND he spent a fuck ton less money and time to do it.
i guess i combined that realization with remembering i can get close to the size plant in their pics ALOT more quickly indoors with lava and reservoirs. i was taught to push your plants, max your inputs, liberate your roots. then watch them take the fuck off. now i feel more confident about the quantifications in all three modes, which means i can finally compare them. that is what really lets me do my job best--comparing numbers to find optimal situations. i feel like i could even figure out how what the numbers needed to be on a dep run. hoop houses are relatively new to a person my age. and like i said, i'm new to outdoor in general. it took until now to sufficiently apply what i understood about indoor to outdoor and light dep with any confidence in what my numbers need to look like.
thanks guys....

Top Bottom