Looking for product buying advice.

• Thread starter SC69
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
SC69

SC69

Supporter
I hear ya bro that thing called life can kick ya until ya fall down then kick ya when your down and finally when it's safe to get up ya smack your head on the table... because well you know that's life. 🙂 but without the crap in life the good times wouldn't seem nearly as good so yeah thats the glass half full side lol.
This is one of the good parts. I’m getting excited knowing I can do this and there is a ton of help available when I run into trouble. I was supposed to have guidance all summer but as you said, life. Nobody’s fault, but it probably shut me down too. I could have found this forum sooner. Im a pretty intelligent guy. I had to know it existed. All behind me. Moving forward. Which also means trying to get some sleep. I feel kind of settled. I know what I have to do for now. It’s great to connect. You’ve been a great help.

Mugwort

Mugwort

I’m having a new one put in. I’m an on an extreme budget and those would be too big. Plus the space. That’s another issue i need to talk about is location. A bigger tent would up the cost of everything and space is an issue. The bigger chunk of my budget is going to go for this light it looks like. I’ve read a bunch of stuff about not being afraid of the cheaper ones but I am.
Look for promotional discounts. I’m pretty new to this too.. I think LED is the easiest way for a newbie. Spider Farmer and ViparSpectra make good reasonably priced LED lights. I own the former, a ViparSpectra XS-2000 which I am happy with but I have a 4x4 tent. SpiderFarmer has been running promotions in THCFarmer. Look for promotional discounts! Both ViparSpectra and Gorilla (company that made my tent) gave me like a 20% discount for being a Vet.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

Just to throw another idea out there, have you looked at Kingbrite LED's? They are super cheap and at one stage there were quite a few growers on here swearing by them. They may be a way to keep costs in check with initial setup and you can always upgrade later on. If you search the site there was a lot of talk about them as well as a very long thread... The last time I checked some of the 240w quantum boards were like $110 each. To me they seem like ideal starter lights, you could even buy a couple extra and keep them for the inevitable upgrade or if you are worried about a light dying mid grow. The only downside is that you are ordering direct from China...

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Just to throw another idea out there, have you looked at Kingbrite LED's? They are super cheap and at one stage there were quite a few growers on here swearing by them. They may be a way to keep costs in check with initial setup and you can always upgrade later on. If you search the site there was a lot of talk about them as well as a very long thread... The last time I checked some of the 240w quantum boards were like $110 each. To me they seem like ideal starter lights, you could even buy a couple extra and keep them for the inevitable upgrade or if you are worried about a light dying mid grow. The only downside is that you are ordering direct from China...
Shipping costs and shipping time are the only reason I have not been pushing Kingbrite lately. Their lights do a good job. It's what I have in my second 5 x 5 tent. The only knock I have against them is it takes more watts to eliminate dark spots in my tent. I have 4 kingbrite 240w boards in it for a total of 960w. My ROI covers the same area using 720w. Both produce great bud but the ROI is cheaper to run month after month.

I like the bar light design for my tent size better than the quantum board design due to the savings in electrical use.

Brendanpre

Brendanpre

I agree fully. A bar style light will always give a more even spread than a QB. But I have to say, I am also a fan of overkill. Lol. I would prefer to have more light than I need and run them dimmed. It helps with efficiency and also gives a bit of redundancy. If a light suddenly dies mid grow, you can compensate (somewhat) by turning up and possibly repositioning the others. If you have one big led and the ballast/driver gives up you are fucked if that is your only light, I admit, that's rare with quality lights, but it does still happen and it's always something I try to keep in mind.

Edit: shipping costs and time is a very important consideration too. I didn't think of that. Any idea what that is at the moment? Has it come down again, I last looked about a year ago?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I agree fully. A bar style light will always give a more even spread than a QB. But I have to say, I am also a fan of overkill. Lol. I would prefer to have more light than I need and run them dimmed. It helps with efficiency and also gives a bit of redundancy. If a light suddenly dies mid grow, you can compensate (somewhat) by turning up and possibly repositioning the others. If you have one big led and the ballast/driver gives up you are fucked if that is your only light, I admit, that's rare with quality lights, but it does still happen and it's always something I try to keep in mind.

Edit: shipping costs and time is a very important consideration too. I didn't think of that. Any idea what that is at the moment? Has it come down again, I last looked about a year ago?
No idea about shipping costs and time. I've already made up my mind that at the next best opportunity, I'll be buying the ION-720 and moving the quantum boards to the shelf. I'll keep a few as backups in the event of light failure. I have a friend that will likely buy the boards I decide not to keep. He's about to take the plunge into the art of growing cannabis.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I hear ya bro that thing called life can kick ya until ya fall down then kick ya when your down and finally when it's safe to get up ya smack your head on the table... because well you know that's life. 🙂 but without the crap in life the good times wouldn't seem nearly as good so yeah thats the glass half full side lol.
Look for promotional discounts. I’m pretty new to this too.. I think LED is the easiest way for a newbie. Spider Farmer and ViparSpectra make good reasonably priced LED lights. I own the former, a ViparSpectra XS-2000 which I am happy with but I have a 4x4 tent. SpiderFarmer has been running promotions in THCFarmer. Look for promotional discounts! Both ViparSpectra and Gorilla (company that made my tent) gave me like a 20% discount for being a Vet.
To my own detriment a good thing can sometimes seem too good. I have looked at them, and they were also recommended and work great for another user. I know more now of what I’m looking for in a light. I will take a better look. Thank you! I’m happy to hear they treated you well in recognition and thanks for your service.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
I think I’ve decided but it won’t hurt me to look and compare. Now I’m nervous about anything I get burning out way ahead of it’s expected life. There is an organic hydro store near me that has HID (I don’t think he’s caught the LED thing yet). My sisters friend used to be married to him. If it’s an emergency I would have him woken up. lol. Would having to switch types for a few hurt anything? I can’t afford a spare.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Shipping costs and shipping time are the only reason I have not been pushing Kingbrite lately. Their lights do a good job. It's what I have in my second 5 x 5 tent. The only knock I have against them is it takes more watts to eliminate dark spots in my tent. I have 4 kingbrite 240w boards in it for a total of 960w. My ROI covers the same area using 720w. Both produce great bud but the ROI is cheaper to run month after month.

I like the bar light design for my tent size better than the quantum board design due to the savings in electrical use.
I’ll look at them. One of the things I told
myself when I decided to do this was to be patient. Go slowly and plan it out. I want to start yesterday. I also want to give myself the best chance so all of this is getting me there. I’m getting that ion 720.

Last edited:
SC69

SC69

Supporter
I’ll look at them. One of the things I told
myself when I decided to do this was to be patient. Go slowly and plan it out. I want to start yesterday. I also want to give myself the best chance so all of this is getting me there.

I like the bar light design for my tent size better than the quantum board design due to the savings in electrical
No idea about shipping costs and time. I've already made up my mind that at the next best opportunity, I'll be buying the ION-720 and moving the quantum boards to the shelf. I'll keep a few as backups in the event of light failure. I have a friend that will likely buy the boards I decide not to keep. He's about to take the plunge into the art of growing cannabis.
Hi, hope your day is going well. We were talking about lights and I was hoping I could ask your opinion on something before I pull the trigger. Today is purchasing day (if I can pull the trigger). The ION-720, meets all the numbers I know are recommended but it clearly says it’s for a 4x4 footprint. I’m going 5x5 tent. The Growers Choice ROI 720 says 5x5 for flower. The 680 does too, and it’s $100 cheaper. The ION is $25 less but why wouldn’t the coverage be the same? https://hydrobuilder.com/growers-choice-roi-680-led-grow-light.html

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Due to the reflective sides of your tent, you'll be fine. There's only like a 6" gap from the light to the tent walls on all sides. The 4 x 4 flower spec given would apply more in an open room setting where light is lost into the room. The reflective sides of the tent make this a non-issue.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Due to the reflective sides of your tent, you'll be fine. There's only like a 6" gap from the light to the tent walls on all sides. The 4 x 4 flower spec given would apply more in an open room setting where light is lost into the room. The reflective sides of the tent make this a non-issue.
Thank you!!! That makes total sense. I bought the tent!

growsince79

growsince79

Nice veg light. Its 4000k - too much blue for my buds.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
i run these in my 12 light room https://www.voltlighting.com/led-grow-lights compared to gavida and luxx i cannot tell the difference besides the price. i run the fl-1 the vl-1 might be good for a tent
The ppm calculator I did said 1625. It’s why I moved away from the HLG at my price point. The FL-1 has it and that is a great price. I am looking at wattage too. Although 40-50w isn’t going to make or break anything. lol. Now I have 3 to decide from instead of 2. You did say you wanted the ION though, right? It’s $75 more but if it’s worth it, I’m good. Sorry, I confused you with someone that did mention the ION. That FL1 is a great price.

Last edited:
growsince79

growsince79

Trust me, it does fine. It also has 660NM and IR. There's plenty of red available and the 4000k helps keep plants short.

I'm sure it does well. I just like more red. My buds develop and finish faster when I add hps to the mix.

SC69

SC69

Supporter
Trust me, it does fine. It also has 660NM and IR. There's plenty of red available and the 4000k helps keep plants short.

As far as I can tell, especially at that price. This is my light. It has everything I’ve seen talked about recently. I wanted to stay 600-650 watts from the wall but those aren’t going to cut it. The difference will be negligible. I have to remember the $750+ a month I’ll eventually be saving (well, my share is $520 and the +). I’m just driving myself crazy now. The tent is ordered and it’s going to need a light. 🤣🤣

Top Bottom