• Thread starter MarsG
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor
I just got another review right now from a Chile customer, I'm happy if our users are happy :) This guy bought two old

models, 300W:smoking::smoking:

DrFever

DrFever

Hey M like our discussion and thinking of purchasing 2 144 reflectors as side lighting as well as maybe 2 mars 700's for over head problem i see is there both 5 watt diodes ,, Can a person pick n build these units ?? i mean i do not want 5 watt diodes but 3 watt diodes instead from reading leds in past couple years i am 75 percent ready to give them a shot but not interested in 5 watt diodes not at all so i its possible to to custom make reflectors or mars 2 units i would be interested then
, but the LED grow lights with the larger diodes have some very critical drawbacks. The first issue is that of heat dissipation and density. As the diode size increases, so does the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated by the diode chip. Larger wattage diodes need larger heat sinks to dissipate the heat that they give off. This results in heavier and bulkier lights. Another critical design drawback of the larger diodes is that they can not be packed as densely as the 3 watt designed lights. When using 5 watt or 10 watt diodes, you must space the diodes further apart, again because of the problem of heat dissipation. The result is a less densely packed grow light that is heavier and bulkier.

The biggest drawback of the 5+ watt diodes is their price. Not only do they cost more overall, but they are also more expensive on a $/watt and $/ growing area covered basis. A quick analysis shows that it is not worth paying a premium to have larger diodes in LED grow lights. The added penetration is superfluous and unnecessary for indoor growers and it comes at a burdensome cost – increased price and less densely packed network of diodes.

Bigger is not always better. When it comes to the question of 3 watt vs 5 watt diodes for LED grow lights, the 3 watt diode is the smarter choice for any indoor growing project.

weedlover85

weedlover85

Hey M like our discussion and thinking of purchasing 2 144 reflectors as side lighting as well as maybe 2 mars 700's for over head problem i see is there both 5 watt diodes ,, Can a person pick n build these units ?? i mean i do not want 5 watt diodes but 3 watt diodes instead from reading leds in past couple years i am 75 percent ready to give them a shot but not interested in 5 watt diodes not at all so i its possible to to custom make reflectors or mars 2 units i would be interested then
, but the LED grow lights with the larger diodes have some very critical drawbacks. The first issue is that of heat dissipation and density. As the diode size increases, so does the amount of heat that needs to be dissipated by the diode chip. Larger wattage diodes need larger heat sinks to dissipate the heat that they give off. This results in heavier and bulkier lights. Another critical design drawback of the larger diodes is that they can not be packed as densely as the 3 watt designed lights. When using 5 watt or 10 watt diodes, you must space the diodes further apart, again because of the problem of heat dissipation. The result is a less densely packed grow light that is heavier and bulkier.

The biggest drawback of the 5+ watt diodes is their price. Not only do they cost more overall, but they are also more expensive on a $/watt and $/ growing area covered basis. A quick analysis shows that it is not worth paying a premium to have larger diodes in LED grow lights. The added penetration is superfluous and unnecessary for indoor growers and it comes at a burdensome cost – increased price and less densely packed network of diodes.

Bigger is not always better. When it comes to the question of 3 watt vs 5 watt diodes for LED grow lights, the 3 watt diode is the smarter choice for any indoor growing project.

My mars reflector has 3w leds :smoking: , must look for an old version of it, the newer have 5w...

best greetz :)

DrFever

DrFever

well i hope there is a option mars or any led company should have build your own led order form an i do not think it would be that hard to do pre runs of 3 watt n 5 watt units i do not understand why they would not have both choices only changes is face plates for 3 w and some internals

MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor

Hello DrFever ;);)

You r right, yeah all of our products have switched from 3W to 5W now , but actually we just highed up 5% of the price, less than 10 USD comparing with old model, even tho producing 5W LEDs cost us more money on the chips and on the heat sink. So why we did it? Why we chose 5W even tho it costs us more to produce the lights?:)

From 2009, many LED grow light manufactures stared to use 3W chips, even now some companies r still using it. LED grow lights are still using 1W and 3W LEDs because they cost companies less money to produce, 5W LEDs require specialized thermal management to keep the LEDs from burning out quickly. It is cheaper and easier to design and manufacture a grow light with 1W or 3W LEDs. But in fact 3W LEDs just weren't intense enough to keep all the leaves healthy on the plants, especially when people grow large plants.

Here is an article from TWB, wish can help you :)

"This is true in the sense that a 1W LED is more efficient than a 3W LED at producing light, and a 3W LED is more efficient than a 5W LED, in terms of photons produced per watt of power used. However, a 0.5W LED is even more efficient than a 1W LED, and the most efficient demonstrated to date is a 30 picowatt (0.00000000003W) LED, so in this sense the 1W or 3W chips are certainly not the "most efficient".

So why aren't LED grow lights using the most efficient 0.00000000003W LEDs? As the power of LEDs decreases, so does their intensity. A 30 picowatt LED puts out so little light that you probably wouldn't be able to see if it is on or off, and you certainly can't grow a plant with it. 1W LEDs are much brighter, but still relatively dim- they're about as bright as an old-style T12 fluorescent (1.5-inch-thick) tube, but only about 1mm in size. They are intense enough to grow plants with, but only within a few inches of the LED.

3W LEDs are brighter still-- a little brighter than a new-style T5 (⅝" thick) fluorescent tube, and bright enough to grow plants within 12-24 inches of the LEDs. The 3W LEDs were very capable of growing and flowering plants and marked the true beginning of practical LED grow lights. Our experience with these lights left us wanting a little more canopy-penetration power; they just weren't intense enough to keep lower leaves healthy on large plants. When the technology became available, we experimented with 5W LEDs and found them to be even better for canopy penetration and growing plants.

5W LEDs are intense enough that it is uncomfortable to look at them (and they may damage your eyes!), more like the sun, MH or HPS lights. They have the power to penetrate the plant canopy and keep lower leaves healthy and contributing to the plants' growth. The more leaves a plant can have contributing to its' growth, the better the plant will grow. Many growers are familiar with the concept of "pruning up" lower leaves under artificial lights; with 5W LEDs the need to do this is dramatically reduced or entirely eliminated.

Other LED grow lights are still using 1W and 3W LEDs because they are much less expensive and much easier to cool. 5W LEDs require specialized thermal management to keep the LEDs from burning out quickly. It is cheaper and easier to design and manufacture a grow light with 1W or 3W LEDs.

If 5W LEDs are great for growing plants, it seems as though 10W LEDs would be even better, but this is not (yet) the case. 10W LEDs are not available yet in all the colors we need . The 10W LEDs that are available are primarily "white" LEDs, which are great for creating lights for humans, but aren't very efficient for growing plants. They actually put out less light that is usable to the plants than our existing 5W LEDs, while taking twice the power!

Efficiency is incredibly important, but it doesn't matter if your LED grow light is the most efficient if it won't grow plants well. "
:):):smoking::smoking:
All we want is for giving growers better result, because that's the most important thing if a company wants to continue developing in the market. It's suicidal to make a big decision without all the investigations, experiments. :) :) So DrFever, please feel cool to use our lights with 5W, I believe it can work well for your beautiful plants!

weedlover85

weedlover85

I think Dr.Fever has right, 3w led are the best! (cooler,less energy coast,more effective,lower price)

doesent mean higher w means better penetration, because its all about the driver and leds manufacturer :cool:

as i saw before...if you use 3w of cree or phillips rebels leds you have much better par lumen lux penetration then with other 3w or 5w leds...

Philips Rebel LEDs convert between 43-53% of the electricity into light - over twice as efficient as the much cheaper Chinese chip encapsulations and COB (‘chip on board’) alternatives.
And the luxeon rebel es xitanium digital drivers

the secend is the optical lense , the best is the secendery with 90°

Or the driver can be pushed i read from kind led:
Our 3 watt diodes running at a 650ma driving current incorporate the perfect blend of intensity, efficiency, durability, and low operating temperature, making them the superior choice. Many other LED brands are running with lower diode wattages and lesser driving currents, making them an inferior option when compared with Kind LED Grow Light.
KIND_LED_Diagram_Update_3-300x166.jpg

mean with the right leds,driver, lense can can have a 300w panel with 3w that give you 3x time more yield , then a 5w 700w Panel :love1:

DrFever

DrFever

thats what i am talking about and M i know what your saying but i am looking
5 watt you need to move them further apart as well due to heat and we all know heat is not efficiency its rather lost performance .. where as the 3 watt can be more compact like saying what will produce more 225 5 watt diodes @ 180 degree lens or 500 3 watt diodes with 90 degree lens
and being a company like mars is it that hard to get 3 watt diode bins i mean cmon being a light company you should be able to offer what the customer is looking for rather then .
Thinking you got a better price on 5 watts or signed a contract with distrubutor that you only can use 5 watt bigger is not always better ..
you guys like a lot of other companies jumped the gun and went 5 watt 10 watt etc 3 watt from my readings are the best bang for the buck and that is what i am looking at this is not only help with heat issues it will also having more lights then 5 watts be a more even canopy i think

MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor
I think Dr.Fever has right, 3w led are the best! (cooler,less energy coast,more effective,lower price)

doesent mean higher w means better penetration, because its all about the driver and leds manufacturer :cool:

as i saw before...if you use 3w of cree or phillips rebels leds you have much better par lumen lux penetration then with other 3w or 5w leds...

Philips Rebel LEDs convert between 43-53% of the electricity into light - over twice as efficient as the much cheaper Chinese chip encapsulations and COB (‘chip on board’) alternatives.
And the luxeon rebel es xitanium digital drivers

the secend is the optical lense , the best is the secendery with 90°

Or the driver can be pushed i read from kind led:
Our 3 watt diodes running at a 650ma driving current incorporate the perfect blend of intensity, efficiency, durability, and low operating temperature, making them the superior choice. Many other LED brands are running with lower diode wattages and lesser driving currents, making them an inferior option when compared with Kind LED Grow Light.
KIND_LED_Diagram_Update_3-300x166.jpg

mean with the right leds,driver, lense can can have a 300w panel with 3w that give you 3x time more yield , then a 5w 700w Panel :love1:

Heyy Weedlover;),

You are right, higher W doesnt mean better penetration, that's why even tho many Manufactures use 5W chips now, but users still can get different yield by purchasing from different companies . :party1:

We have made experiment in our factory and changed design again and again, some users have made comparasion about our old model 3W and 5W LEDs, they found out our 5W LEDs actually have better penetration than old model, and gave them better result. That's why we switched all to 5W even tho it costs us more. :)

But hey Weedlover, yours and DrFever's suggestions are still very important to us, if we got more doubts like this, we will do experiment again and maybe make new decision! All we want is producing the best lights for growers!!!:)

MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor
thats what i am talking about and M i know what your saying but i am looking
5 watt you need to move them further apart as well due to heat and we all know heat is not efficiency its rather lost performance .. where as the 3 watt can be more compact like saying what will produce more 225 5 watt diodes @ 180 degree lens or 500 3 watt diodes with 90 degree lens
and being a company like mars is it that hard to get 3 watt diode bins i mean cmon being a light company you should be able to offer what the customer is looking for rather then .
Thinking you got a better price on 5 watts or signed a contract with distrubutor that you only can use 5 watt bigger is not always better ..
you guys like a lot of other companies jumped the gun and went 5 watt 10 watt etc 3 watt from my readings are the best bang for the buck and that is what i am looking at this is not only help with heat issues it will also having more lights then 5 watts be a more even canopy i think
Hi DrFever:)

We can customize lights for customers, no matter which spectrum , or even if you want 3W. But all our machinese, and the models are all developed to the size for 5W now, it might be more expensive and take longer time to make light with 3W for customers :)

BUT! I have just talked with our factory, they told me we still have some old models in Canadian warehouse and USA warehouse ;)

If you still really wanna give a shot to our old model 3W, In Canada, we still have 196x3W reflector, and 48X3W reflector. But only very few stocks, without switches.
Is this light can be what you want ? :):):)

DrFever

DrFever

I personally think you need to get back into the 3 watt units again and drive them up if it can i the price is right it will not matter if they need to be replaced 25,000 hrs in stead of 50,000 hrs cause when you figure it out @ 2600 hrs for one grow that is with 5 week veg lol and 8 week flower that is 10 grows or if vegged lot less 15 - 20 grows from that one light if it stays together that is still pretty dam good i was hoping the 144's were 3 watts shitty

weedlover85

weedlover85

Heyy Weedlover;),

You are right, higher W doesnt mean better penetration, that's why even tho many Manufactures use 5W chips now, but users still can get different yield by purchasing from different companies . :party1:

We have made experiment in our factory and changed design again and again, some users have made comparasion about our old model 3W and 5W LEDs, they found out our 5W LEDs actually have better penetration than old model, and gave them better result. That's why we switched all to 5W even tho it costs us more. :)

But hey Weedlover, yours and DrFever's suggestions are still very important to us, if we got more doubts like this, we will do experiment again and maybe make new decision! All we want is producing the best lights for growers!!!:)

ah ok i understand :cool:

whats about the pro models its with 3 or 5 watt ?
think the cree is the best mars light right now :love2:

MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor
ah ok i understand :cool:

whats about the pro models its with 3 or 5 watt ?
think the cree is the best mars light right now :love2:

Mars Pro Epistar is with 5W chips, Mars Pro Cree is with 3W chips. This is the part NO. for the cree chips:

XPEBWT-L1-0000-00AE7

XPEBBL-L1-0000-00Y01

XPEBRD-L1-0000-00601

XPEPHR-L1-0000-00901

So if anyone prefers lights with 3W, Mars Pro Cree lights might be the best choice ! ;);)

weedlover85

weedlover85

So if anyone prefers lights with 3W, Mars Pro Cree lights might be the best choice ! ;);)

Very nice :love2:wanted one ...:love1:

This fine light must be testet in every single way :cool:

DrFever

DrFever

Well weed lover i say i am purchasing the 192 x 3 watt ordering one then other one couple weeks later so i will run 2 for flowering :)
from what i have read will still talk with M if they will throw in better fans from my reading there loud either way not a big deal have buddy in that field so maybe he will clock the unit or like some say give it a boost or tune up :)
but yeah ordering next week

Brand : Mars Hydro
LED Configuration: 192 x 3w Epiled Diodes
Power consumption: 350watts
Lumens: 13,000
Lifespan: 75,000 Hours
Color: Blue, Red & White
PAR Test Results @ 2ft: 800 µmol/m2/s
Wavelength/Spectrum: 430~440nm, 450~475nm 620~630nm, 650~660nm, IR, and white
HID/HPS Equivalent: 800watts
Suggested Lighting Area: 1.4m²
Dimensions: 48x56x7cm
Weight: 11kg

weedlover85

weedlover85

Well weed lover i say i am purchasing the 192 x 3 watt ordering one then other one couple weeks later so i will run 2 for flowering :)
from what i have read will still talk with M if they will throw in better fans from my reading there loud either way not a big deal have buddy in that field so maybe he will clock the unit or like some say give it a boost or tune up :)
but yeah ordering next week

Hope works great for you...lets us now when you get it :cool:

i use the 48 for veg :party1:

MarsG

MarsG

THCFarmer Sponsor
Very nice :love2:wanted one ...:love1:

This fine light must be testet in every single way :cool:

Christmas is coming, how about gift yourself one nice light? ;):p

Wish you have a nice weekend Weedlover!!:D:D