Mimed’s Perpetual Thread

• Thread starter MIMedGrower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
DreamsOfDiesel

DreamsOfDiesel

The retail store mixes are not of the same quality or ingredients (or price) as the professional bales according to premier horticulture. But i never tried any.

Just flush it out some before planting.
No they are not same quality, I dont have room for giant bale of hp here but I will at new place so I'm going back to it in few weeks, I'll just use what's left of this for houseplants lol

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Lol I added about 10% extra perlite to mine but the lack of needing watering was caused by the root bugs so i dont even know if i needed it.

When i used it 5 years ago it always ended up giving me about 3 days between watering. I played around with ocean forest and large perlite ratios to achieve the same. Which ended up about 25- 30% extra in OF.

When i get my new bale i will feel it out with my hands. I tead in jorje cervantes book if you grasp the soil in your fist it should easily break apart with a little finger stab. I have followed that advice. Too little perlite and the soil stays in a clump in your hand. Enough and poking it once causes it to fall apart.

Not too scientific but worked for me.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Went for a bike ride around the neighborhood this afternoon. Its beautiful out today. Low humidity and its about 80 degrees. Heat wave over for a minute.

Stopped at the public dock
7AEAADB4 9CA5 415D 8394 64CCF192970C

Met with this guy at one of the ranch gates for a chat.
5C20F720 240A 4290 AD10 9BC0D7CE5A1A

Our subdivision beach and homeowner docks.
B8F2F007 057E 4D00 85E7 5E561863F6BD

View from my Neighbors dock
7CACCC60 0507 4337 8EF5 787ABF65AB83
5A69C1FC 7B2B 4BAA 8A86 5FC9DA95FC44

And back to the house
F3CF44FB F39C 438A 961F DD066A0EC150

Good to remember why I live out in the woods even with its challanges. I grew up in neighborhoods with houses as far as you can see. And beyond only highways and malls and strip centers.

Now I have back roads to rivers, lakes, trails and even sand dunes and the shore of lake Michigan is only 20 minutes away.

:-)

B0DEF948 9305 4AD9 BB8B 5CD3E61E5AF8
Bitters420

Bitters420

Went for a bike ride around the neighborhood this afternoon. Its beautiful out today. Low humidity and its about 80 degrees. Heat wave over for a minute.

Good to remember why I live out in the woods even with its challanges. I grew up in neighborhoods with houses as far as you can see. And beyond only highways and malls and strip centers.

Now I have back roads to rivers, lakes, trails and even sand dunes and the shore of lake Michigan is only 20 minutes away.

:-)

That is why I love living in Michigan. Been to lots of other big city places, but would always find my way back here at home.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

That's some beautiful scenery man now you know why I want to get back up north!

Let's talk about root aphids:
A few weeks ago I posted a thread about some mystery spots

they're still there & they're virtually unchanged? But there may be some more spots just like it on a different plant, different strain and of course now my mind is wondering about root aphids!?!

Stands to reason that if the spotting was an aphid issue it would have progressed and not just stalled like it has, but it's still on my mind

particularly after that picture I posted of my freaking Roma tomate which by the way is doing wonderful and is loaded with tomatoes, but it's obviously a magnet for the little bastards!
Screenshot 20200712 082454 Chrome

I'm hosing it down every morning and there's barely anything on it but I'm gonna spinosad spray all plants this week for my own head mainly

Not sure if all aphids are the same or if root aphids are a different type but I'm not taking any chances

Anyway now everything I see I'm suspicious of?! 🤔 so I've got one finishing within the next few weeks & I'm going to slice the root mass into thin slices the way they dissected Einstein's brain to see if I can spot anything?!

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm watching your battle too, never have dealt with these little bastards and I'm not in a hurry to either, good luck in your war!

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter

they're still there & they're virtually unchanged? But there may be some more spots just like it on a different plant, different strain and of course now my mind is wondering about root aphids!?!

Stands to reason that if the spotting was an aphid issue it would have progressed and not just stalled like it has, but it's still on my mind

particularly after that picture I posted of my freaking Roma tomate which by the way is doing wonderful and is loaded with tomatoes, but it's obviously a magnet for the little bastards!
View attachment 999024
I'm hosing it down every morning and there's barely anything on it but I'm gonna spinosad spray all plants this week for my own head mainly

Not sure if all aphids are the same or if root aphids are a different type but I'm not taking any chances

Anyway now everything I see I'm suspicious of?! 🤔 so I've got one finishing within the next few weeks & I'm going to slice the root mass into thin slices the way they dissected Einstein's brain to see if I can spot anything?!

I've got my fingers crossed and I'm watching your battle too, never have dealt with these little bastards and I'm not in a hurry to either, good luck in your war!

Not sure what you've got there, but it's not root aphids. RA signs are generally underfed looking plants with multiple phantom deficiencies, premature yellowing and slow growth, and ultimately a massive decrease in yield.

I found the adult fliers on yellow sticky traps and stuck to buds that were directly below the lamp because they fly Into the light and die. The crawlers you can see if you watch the soil surface, rim of the pot and base of the stem directly after a watering. They will usually crawl up to get out of the water for a minute or two.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

View attachment 999024

They are different than aphids. Tjey dont attack leaves and make spots. They burrow i to the roots and cause lack of uptake, low water uptake and eat the nutrients right out of the roots.

What i read and what i saw on my plants was the same. Looks like a mag deficiency starts and climbs up the plant until all leaves are yellow and necrotic no matter what you do.

And the white bugs start to show up on the inside edge of the pot. They are tiny and fast moving insects. It means the population inside has gotten large and flyers that look similar to fungus gnats but have shorter bodies and longer thinner wings will fly to other pots.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
They are different than aphids. Tjey dont attack leaves and make spots. They burrow i to the roots and cause lack of uptake, low water uptake and eat the nutrients right out of the roots.

What i read and what i saw on my plants was the same. Looks like a mag deficiency starts and climbs up the plant until all leaves are yellow and necrotic no matter what you do.

And the white bugs start to show up on the inside edge of the pot. They are tiny and fast moving insects. It means the population inside has gotten large and flyers that look similar to fungus gnats but have shorter bodies and longer thinner wings will fly to other pots.

Yep.. Thats why when you get them you'll usually only notice maybe a plant or two showing signs at first. I saw signs in mid veg on one single plant that I couldnt explain at the time, and it was mid flower before I had a full blown infestation with most or all plants affected. They take 2-3 weeks to move on from the initial host plant, depending on the size of the root mass they're in. Which means early detection gives you a chance to limit exposure if you know what you're looking at.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Yep.. Thats why when you get them you'll usually only notice maybe a plant or two showing signs at first. I saw signs in mid veg on one single plant that I couldnt explain at the time, and it was mid flower before I had a full blown infestation with most or all plants affected. They take 2-3 weeks to move on from the initial host plant, depending on the size of the root mass they're in. Which means early detection gives you a chance to limit exposure if you know what you're looking at.

I dont know how i kept them down and only saw one or two flyers for a long time. Been harvesting half yield plants for months thinking it was me.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
I dont know how i kept them down and only saw one or two flyers for a long time. Been harvesting half yield plants for months thinking it was me.

Maybe just the constant flow of the perpetual grow. For me the plants were all growing together at the same stage for several months, so the timeline is similar. You were just bringing in new soil and removing old infected plants frequently, compared to the same 16 plants sitting together for 3 months.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Maybe just the constant flow of the perpetual grow. For me the plants were all growing together at the same stage for several months, so the timeline is similar. You were just bringing in new soil and removing old infected plants frequently, compared to the same 16 plants sitting together for 3 months.

Yeah you are right. Plus i clean everything with iso alcohol before reusing.

Makes treatment problematic though.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Well after a lot of cleaning and a few weeks off from gardening for a change i decided to still do a perpetual but with 4 plants harvested aproximately every 5-6 weeks.

I started this round of 2 Blue Lemon Thai seedlings and 2 Black Widow x Blue Lemon Thai under a 600w hortilux blue i bought years ago and only used 4 months.

I am using up the last of my old CH9 seeds and moving on to new stuff like the useful chocolate thai and chem x bag of oranges. First plants gave great results.

Here they are. Wont be exciting for a while. I will start foliage pro and protekt in a week or two as well as an ipm soak a few times as they get transplanted up with microbe lift for gnat larvae and botanigard for the root aphids i hope not to see again. ;-)

0AE747F3 A849 47F8 A7E9 002FD2910FE8

I will top fill with more pro mix hp when they need watering.

And here are a couple pics from kayaking yesterday.

4DB07B0E 5F99 4B95 B6E9 6DC4FC64FB46

37976182 1AEB 4A3C 96FF BF0C16821927

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Is the Black Widow cross yours or did you buy it? Been thinking hard about exploring Black Widow so I'm curious about your experience with it.

It is an old ch9 strain. Discontinued. He stopped sending seeds to america and maybe closed ch9 down. I have a few seeds in a few packs left of his stuff.

For black widow i would go to the originator and get mr. nice seeds from shantibaba.

I have some old POW 33 seeds that have aloha white widow in them from an old motarebel strain. Thats another power hitter. I think a hawaii breeder has that. But i cant remember the company name.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom