Mold, The Outdoor Growers Worst Nightmare

• Thread starter Chobble
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Chobble

Chobble

Yes Mold, It is all of our least favorite thing to deal with. It destroys our beautiful buds and we are left trimming them off in despair. Now I have two methods to prevent said mold, but unfortunately even the most mold resistant strains will mold in my wet coastal climate.

The first one is a Fungal Compost tea delivered in a foliar spray. This tea has been brewed from mostly Worm castings for 24 hours and then sprayed onto the plant. I spray the plants every two weeks while they're in veg and as they entire flower. This helps keeps powder mold away while they're flowering and the rare case of bud rot indoors. I obviously follow the same procedure outdoor but treat the plants through there entire lifetime once a month(Except once buds appear).

Now I also spoke to someone who had given a speech at the Polish Hemp Research Institute. The Polish boil down Horsetail and spray it on there plants, He also noted the hemp fields where spotless.

I want to know if you guys have any good methods for outdoor/Indoor mold prevention?

Chobble

Reactions: mal
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Horsetail is advocated by some of the organically-minded growers I know. Also milk spray seems to have outperformed ACT/AACT, but the jury still seems to be out overall on NACT sprays. I don't typically aerate, however, I don't usually have much trouble with fungal infections and the like during my growing season.

I am a HUGE fan of JMS Stylet oil, as well. I do need to get myself some horsetail planted, though, it's got a myriad of uses.

Blaze

Blaze

Stylet Oil and Oxidate can help. Genetic selection will still always be your best line of defense though. Thinning out the core of your plants to get air following through them helps greatly as well.

ncga

ncga

Blaze and Sea have great advice.

When it comes to milk I have run into one person who used goats milk on his grape vines. The milk needs to be no pasteurized. The main thing you are doing is changing the ph on the leaf surface.

As far as teas I'm still out on this close to harvest time. Just how much bacteria is still on the bud when smoked.

Oxidate is hands down the one I think would be approved when this gets legal. Although when it comes to approved fungicides on smoke able material NONE are approved for tobacco.

nc

vaporedout

vaporedout

ncga has some good ideas too, ive used milk and had success... although i was told it had to be skim milk, and if your keeping organic make sure the milk is as well. curious though.... they say organic ash burns white on joints... ive always been organic and noticed the last round i used milk on it wasnt organic, and the ash burned black.... coincidence?? i dunno

Blaze

Blaze

The milk thing interests me, I know another competent grower that had very good success with it last season. Only trouble is finding the raw milk (which I do have a source for now!). NC has a good point about the tobacco too - most of the crap you see people spray on their plants (esp stuff like Eagle 20, etc) is not approved for human consumption.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Blaze and Sea have great advice.

When it comes to milk I have run into one person who used goats milk on his grape vines. The milk needs to be no pasteurized. The main thing you are doing is changing the ph on the leaf surface.

As far as teas I'm still out on this close to harvest time. Just how much bacteria is still on the bud when smoked.

Oxidate is hands down the one I think would be approved when this gets legal. Although when it comes to approved fungicides on smoke able material NONE are approved for tobacco.

nc
In my own research I've found that the universities are using milk as it comes from the store, i.e. homogenized and pasteurized. Raw, unpasteurized is best, but not 100% necessary.

As far as what's approved to be used on tobacco, that's interesting and I'd like to learn more, because in the cursory searching I've done I am finding fungicides (and other 'cides') that are approved for use on tobacco. This is using Google Scholar and Scirus for my search engines. I know you've probably already done quite a bit of research, which is why I say I'd like to learn more.

In fact, my interest goes back to the powdery mildew discussion, as I've had some medical types weigh in and the consensus is that it's a non-issue in terms of causing health problems. Of course, that discussion was specific to the range of powdery mildew fungi.

In the meantime, I did a cursory search on approved fungicides for tobacco, and perhaps I'm missing something, but I'm finding there are fungicides approved for use on tobacco. I can link what I'm looking at for discussion, but am thinking it might warrant its own thread.

ncga

ncga

Sea

If you find the info its for use when they are in a greenhouse but not in the field. So only the very early stages can you apply them. Which if I remember is a 5 month cycle. Will look it up . Just taking a break from the endless spring cloning.

Chobble

Chobble

I've heard only a little about milk, I may try using it. Im definitely going to use some horsetail this season as I feel like it'll probably be the best bet.

Does anyone have more specific instructions on using milk?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Chobble, 10% dilution, and it can even be dried nonfat milk.
Sea

If you find the info its for use when they are in a greenhouse but not in the field. So only the very early stages can you apply them. Which if I remember is a 5 month cycle. Will look it up . Just taking a break from the endless spring cloning.
I'll have to pull up the product I was looking at yesterday, but it had directions for tobacco that I could have sworn included field tobacco application directions.

I've found it, it's a product called Ag Streptomycin, has application information for tobacco, specifies application for tobacco after it's been set in-field. Page 5. It looks like it's made in the US, but I can't figure out by simply reading the label if it's approved in the US or not. I have found other products, like something called Zee-Mil, that's used in Australia. And another one that's made in Canada (was it Quadris?) that's I assume is approved there, but the labels don't say anything about where they're approved for use, at least not that I can find.

All that said, I'm not sure I'd want to mess with using something like that instead of milk, JMS Stylet oil, various other bacteria and fungi (perused the label, didn't read thoroughly) or even OxiDate.

No cloning for me, but I thought you were finished with all that already. Your work is never done! We do have veggies started, need to get more going, and Dave's getting the beds started. Still too wet to till the lower gardens, unfortunately, and we have more rain on the way.

View attachment Ag_Streptomycin_label.pdf
Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Yes Mold, It is all of our least favorite thing to deal with. It destroys our beautiful buds and we are left trimming them off in despair. Now I have two methods to prevent said mold, but unfortunately even the most mold resistant strains will mold in my wet coastal climate.

The first one is a Fungal Compost tea delivered in a foliar spray. This tea has been brewed from mostly Worm castings for 24 hours and then sprayed onto the plant. I spray the plants every two weeks while they're in veg and as they entire flower. This helps keeps powder mold away while they're flowering and the rare case of bud rot indoors. I obviously follow the same procedure outdoor but treat the plants through there entire lifetime once a month(Except once buds appear).

Now I also spoke to someone who had given a speech at the Polish Hemp Research Institute. The Polish boil down Horsetail and spray it on there plants, He also noted the hemp fields where spotless.

I want to know if you guys have any good methods for outdoor/Indoor mold prevention?

Chobble
Hey man, good info, did you know that putting horsetail into your ACT is actually an organic way to extract silicates, the high PH of the silica might be what's keeping the PM/mold away.

Chobble

Chobble

Chobble, 10% dilution, and it can even be dried nonfat milk.

I'll have to pull up the product I was looking at yesterday, but it had directions for tobacco that I could have sworn included field tobacco application directions.

I've found it, it's a product called Ag Streptomycin, has application information for tobacco, specifies application for tobacco after it's been set in-field. Page 5. It looks like it's made in the US, but I can't figure out by simply reading the label if it's approved in the US or not. I have found other products, like something called Zee-Mil, that's used in Australia. And another one that's made in Canada (was it Quadris?) that's I assume is approved there, but the labels don't say anything about where they're approved for use, at least not that I can find.

All that said, I'm not sure I'd want to mess with using something like that instead of milk, JMS Stylet oil, various other bacteria and fungi (perused the label, didn't read thoroughly) or even OxiDate.

No cloning for me, but I thought you were finished with all that already. Your work is never done! We do have veggies started, need to get more going, and Dave's getting the beds started. Still too wet to till the lower gardens, unfortunately, and we have more rain on the way.

Thank you Seamaiden :D I didnt see that you had replied, Im definitely going to try the Milk this season :D

Chobble

T

Thatgirl

Because I keep grazing livestock I know that horsetail is cumulatively toxic when orally ingested. I am sure its different for when its smoked, I just know it IS toxic, and figured I would share that little bit of info.

Chobble

Chobble

Because I keep grazing livestock I know that horsetail is cumulatively toxic when orally ingested. I am sure its different for when its smoked, I just know it IS toxic, and figured I would share that little bit of info.
Thank you very much! I did not know that and I will make sure to pass that on to the person who told me that.

Chobbs

monkeymun

monkeymun

Citroshield is helpful, but if it keeps raining, it won't do anything. If mold is a problem and the rain is constant though, it prevent mold growth pretty effectively IME.

ttystikk

ttystikk

Actinovate brand organic fungicide

Active ingredient; streptomyces lycidus 0.0371%

Looks rather similar to that Ag Streptomycin, yes?

Actinovate 2oz

ttystikk

ttystikk

I wonder if I could incorporate that into my compost tea?

Sure! Why not? Of course you will want to run your ACT water through a filter to screen out particles big enough to clog your sprayer, but other than that I bet this would be an effective additive to your foliar ACT regimen.

Chobble

Chobble

Sure! Why not? Of course you will want to run your ACT water through a filter to screen out particles big enough to clog your sprayer, but other than that I bet this would be an effective additive to your foliar ACT regimen.

Yeah, Im contemplating trying the horsetail, milk and actinovate in my teas. I have two identical plants growing right next to each other to run tests on. I think I will brew horsetail into my tea on one, and brew the other one with Milk or actinovate treated ACT.

I normally run my ACT through a cheese cloth, Do you think that's enough?

Chobble

Latest posts

Top Bottom