Mrdizzle's second MPB style jock

• Thread starter mrdizzle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

doubleds

yep, Veg longer than 4 days, I was afraid the plants would be too big so I only vegged for 4days this time, a couple plants barely have any roots in the tubs at mid week three. I also had major heat issuse so i had to cooltube the room, which actually I really like, i dont know why people hate of cooltubes so much. I think I will still get a decent pull but more like .6gpw ish

also I do not like the rockwool. you cant just run drippers on the side or the rockwool dries out, if you put the drippers too close it stays too wet. I will be going back to coco pots, or I was thinking about buying another set of buckets and filling the buckets with growrocks up an inch higher than the water will sit once in the tubs, then cutting a a circle of coco from a coco mat and then filling the top with coco/perlite, that way I can get the roots big in the bucket then drop them in the tubs and watch the roots take off

dont worry about the rockwool drying out bro esp. if you have roots in the water. I put a dripper directly into my cube running 24/7 for the first 7 days after transplant. Once you have verified roots in water on all plants you can turn the drippers off if you like mate. Remember, rockwool can only hold so much water..... even when using drippers. The bad thing is when the rockwool is sitting in water, then it will flood out and cause problems.

dds

L

Lost

I would like to add that I do not use the top drip on my MPB's and even tho I might take a small yield hit (I don't think I do tho..), it makes like easy. I also only use 1 inch cubes or a jiffy pelet. :)

M

mrdizzle

dont worry about the rockwool drying out bro esp. if you have roots in the water. I put a dripper directly into my cube running 24/7 for the first 7 days after transplant. Once you have verified roots in water on all plants you can turn the drippers off if you like mate. Remember, rockwool can only hold so much water..... even when using drippers. The bad thing is when the rockwool is sitting in water, then it will flood out and cause problems.

dds

I think thats where I screwed up, I was trying to keep the cubes as dry as possible so the roots would go looking for water. then I realized healthy, well feed roots grow, not roots starved for water. thanks DD

I think next run I will make sure the roots are poking out the bottom of the buckets before i transplant because the growth rate once the roots hit the buckets is insane

D

doubleds

I think thats where I screwed up, I was trying to keep the cubes as dry as possible so the roots would go looking for water. then I realized healthy, well feed roots grow, not roots starved for water. thanks DD

I think next run I will make sure the roots are poking out the bottom of the buckets before i transplant because the growth rate once the roots hit the buckets is insane

sounds like more bad advice from jalisco kid.

Here's what i have noticed bro, not sure why but it works everytime.

If i root in a 4 inch cube, put that on an ebb n flow table for 2 weeks then transplant to buckets i end up with a much smaller plant that if i did the exact same thing with a 6 inch cube. I have no idea why bro but it happens everytime. I have 11 gardens on the go from 10 plants to 130 plants so i can test new stuff all the time.
I am now changing my veg room to 2 x 4ft ebb n flow tables. One that i will be able to cover with vapour barrier so i can turn it into a propagator. I want to be able to root directly into 6x6x6 inch grodan cubes and that takes space. I can then put 15 on each table under 1000's for there 2 week veg period and each cutting has plenty of room to stretch out there branches.

i tried the vegging in buckets last time, the pics i showed. When i put them into my mpb system i went straight to 12/12 and it didnt work out so well. The same room that had 42 pounds/10 plants, this time had 31 for 10 plants. I would say they shocked a little bit and it hurt my yield when i went straight to 12/12.

a few tidbits bro, hope they help

dds

L

Lost

How high up do you set the cube? Is it 2-3 inches of hydroton then the cube covered in hydroton?

billy liar

billy liar

sounds like more bad advice from jalisco kid.

Here's what i have noticed bro, not sure why but it works everytime.

If i root in a 4 inch cube, put that on an ebb n flow table for 2 weeks then transplant to buckets i end up with a much smaller plant that if i did the exact same thing with a 6 inch cube. I have no idea why bro but it happens everytime. I have 11 gardens on the go from 10 plants to 130 plants so i can test new stuff all the time.
I am now changing my veg room to 2 x 4ft ebb n flow tables. One that i will be able to cover with vapour barrier so i can turn it into a propagator. I want to be able to root directly into 6x6x6 inch grodan cubes and that takes space. I can then put 15 on each table under 1000's for there 2 week veg period and each cutting has plenty of room to stretch out there branches.

i tried the vegging in buckets last time, the pics i showed. When i put them into my mpb system i went straight to 12/12 and it didnt work out so well. The same room that had 42 pounds/10 plants, this time had 31 for 10 plants. I would say they shocked a little bit and it hurt my yield when i went straight to 12/12.

a few tidbits bro, hope they help

dds
great advice DD's, I've just started vegging using 6" cubes as I have a simlar system thats struggling, And found going straight in with 1" blocks to take too long in veg to get good results. The 6" blocks are impossible to over water (with drainage) and i find they drain so much better than 3 or 4" blocks, giving me a faster veg time and not having to worry a bout the transplant to a bucket.
peace
BL

D

doubleds

How high up do you set the cube? Is it 2-3 inches of hydroton then the cube covered in hydroton?

yes, exactly !!

great advice DD's, I've just started vegging using 6" cubes as I have a simlar system thats struggling, And found going straight in with 1" blocks to take too long in veg to get good results. The 6" blocks are impossible to over water (with drainage) and i find they drain so much better than 3 or 4" blocks, giving me a faster veg time and not having to worry a bout the transplant to a bucket.
peace
BL

now imagine rooting in the 6 inch cubes, no transplant shock from cut to cube either.

thanks much dds

So interesting ,and i really like hearing about differences because that shows that actual testing has been done.

My next run is vegged in the lava net pots from 1.5" rw cubes put in coco.
They are growing great...but we'll see on the transplant.
I still have whack of 6" cubes and as much as i hate em i will do what in the end will work better.

The flood and drain i got root problems the only time i tried it but that was without the chiller so hope fully that was the prob.

i like the cloning in 6" cubes idea if it works because then they are off to the races.
glad to know you are still experimenting because we sure are..

why 2ft x 4ft table instead of one 4ft under a 1k?
and yes i'd put plastic over mine if i did that..i find i need 100%RH to get a good take on my clones.

i'd sure prefer flood and drain over the veg/emitter hose i have now

still, things have been way worse

my pictures clearly show the 6 inch cubes work bro. Somthing that i slacked on bro was my mothers, i took advantage of them and it cost me. Make sure your moms are uber healthy, a great product, very expensive but great is advanced nutes bud factor x. add this each time you feed/water and watch your moms become healthy and lush. Great moms give great cuttings, yes, you need a chiller for your ebb n flow table or you will have problems.

dds biggest single rule about growing

whats happening inside the room during the dark cycle ?

This is way more important that the light cycle. in cloning, if your temp drops more than 10 degrees during lights out your gonna have a big problem cloning. No need to talk about the dark cycle for veggin and flowering..... that speaks for itself.

Bro, dont give up on things so early and run for somthing else. All the info i have given is tried,tested and true. If you had a problem its somthing you did wrong bro. Follow my lead mate and you wont go wrong.
The first time i grew this method i made it all the way to harvest but my god, the root rot stunk so bad when we pulled the pails for cleaning i had to plug in the charcoal filters and leave the room. The fella helping me wouldnt go back in.

Remember, you may have grown for a long time and become a master but this is a new system, you have to learn all over again.

Hope all is well mate

dds

N

noone88

I'm currently vegging my clones in 3 gallon black buckets, top feed. I'll be taking them to flower at around 3 feet.

Is the general consensus is that you should still veg them in the mpb tubs for a few days for the plants to form more roots and to adjust to the lights?

D

doubleds

I'm currently vegging my clones in 3 gallon black buckets, top feed. I'll be taking them to flower at around 3 feet.

Is the general consensus is that you should still veg them in the mpb tubs for a few days for the plants to form more roots and to adjust to the lights?

correct, make sure they get 4 - 5 days to adjust to the high lumens. What strain r u growing? 3ft is awful big to start flowering. Mine end up at 3ft 6inches done.

dds

N

noone88

SoCal's Madman OG or Cataract Kush.

It's one of the few OG's that finish in 50 days. I wanted something that would finish fast.

M

mcattak

dd,

-I have followed your flowering system almost almost to the t..For my veg room i root in 1" cubes and transfer to 3" x 3" cubes for 5 days under 400mh the transplanted everything to a 4' x 6' table with 2000mh and 10 inch netpots filled with hydroton with the cube in the top 20% of the netpot and dripeed for 24'7 for 4 weeks..
-Correct me if I am wrong you suggest vegging in the 6" x 6" cubes for a better veg but to also avoid lumen shock..
-I plan on running a 24 k flip so I will not be able to veg in my big room to avoid the lumen shock, so i was planning on starting with 8 lights and then 2 days later another 8 and then 2 days later the final 8 then start the co2..Will this help with the lumen shock???
-or I could cut the veg plant back a little bit, that seems to help with the lumen shock..

M

mrdizzle

you can veg in a flip room you just need to add some sort of light, throw a tek 5 up for another 8hours and it will keep the plants from flowering

D

doubleds

dd,

-I have followed your flowering system almost almost to the t..For my veg room i root in 1" cubes and transfer to 3" x 3" cubes for 5 days under 400mh the transplanted everything to a 4' x 6' table with 2000mh and 10 inch netpots filled with hydroton with the cube in the top 20% of the netpot and dripeed for 24'7 for 4 weeks..
-Correct me if I am wrong you suggest vegging in the 6" x 6" cubes for a better veg but to also avoid lumen shock..
-I plan on running a 24 k flip so I will not be able to veg in my big room to avoid the lumen shock, so i was planning on starting with 8 lights and then 2 days later another 8 and then 2 days later the final 8 then start the co2..Will this help with the lumen shock???
-or I could cut the veg plant back a little bit, that seems to help with the lumen shock..

it depends on who built your flip for you but my 20 light flip allows me to veg. if you havnt bought your flip yet nowirenuts.ca is by far the best. I have used his gear for 5 years now w/o a hitch. I suggest using 6 inch cubes for a better veg mate but not for lumen shock. you can have all your lights on in the flower room just make sure your bulbs are not directly beside the plant when starting out, keep the bottom of the bulbs 2 inches above the plants and slowly move them down beside the plants over the course of 7 - 10 days and you will be fine. Your going to get a little lumen shock anyway but this will minimise it.

dds

M

mcattak

DD,
The system you came up with is epic..Again this is my first time doing any type of DWC and it is rocking(knock on wood)
Havent purchased the flip..And because of your recommendation i did talk to the guy at nowire about a month ago..He definately knows what he is doing...
How does your flip allow you to veg???
Dizzle-Great idea on just adding lights to the flip room for veg--

M

mcattak

Couple of questions..

-I don't use moms...Same strain running in both rooms...Which means I have about 4 to 5 weeks to clone and veg the plants before they go into the flip..Can you give me the timeline that you would use..How long in the 6x6 before placing the cubes in the hydroton???When placed in the hydroton, I still assume the rockwool needs to placed above where the water levels will be in the buckets??..Still drip 24/7 through the whole veg process???
-Does anyone use pgr's in there rdwc buckets...I have used phosphoload in rockwool at about 1 to 2 ml per gallon...I was thinking of running 1/4 ml per gallon for a day and see what that does...What do you think???(a little nervous about introducing this in a new system, but the partner wants to)
-Running a sealed room with co2 and have been losing the co2 quickly..My buckets are on 3 foot tables with the 4 inch returns running along the bottoms of the table..There are 3 3/4" return hoses coming out of the buckets essentially sitting in a 4 inch hole that t's off into the 4 inch returns..Do you think the co2 could be evacuating through the vacuum caused by the 4 inch return???

Dizzle i don't mean to jack your thread...As soon as i can post a thread i will start my own-(Does anyone know how many posts I need to do that)

I have learned alot from everyone here and appreciate the time and effort put into getting these trees to produce..

C

Coxie

yes, exactly !!

now imagine rooting in the 6 inch cubes, no transplant shock from cut to cube either.

thanks much dds

my pictures clearly show the 6 inch cubes work bro. Somthing that i slacked on bro was my mothers, i took advantage of them and it cost me. Make sure your moms are uber healthy, a great product, very expensive but great is advanced nutes bud factor x. add this each time you feed/water and watch your moms become healthy and lush. Great moms give great cuttings, yes, you need a chiller for your ebb n flow table or you will have problems.

dds biggest single rule about growing

whats happening inside the room during the dark cycle ?

This is way more important that the light cycle. in cloning, if your temp drops more than 10 degrees during lights out your gonna have a big problem cloning. No need to talk about the dark cycle for veggin and flowering..... that speaks for itself.

Bro, dont give up on things so early and run for somthing else. All the info i have given is tried,tested and true. If you had a problem its somthing you did wrong bro. Follow my lead mate and you wont go wrong.
The first time i grew this method i made it all the way to harvest but my god, the root rot stunk so bad when we pulled the pails for cleaning i had to plug in the charcoal filters and leave the room. The fella helping me wouldnt go back in.

Remember, you may have grown for a long time and become a master but this is a new system, you have to learn all over again.

Hope all is well mate

dds

hello doubled - thanks so much for all the prompt and excellent answers. As a first-timer in mpbs I certainly have a few questions... The six inch cubes make great sense, but I am wondering how often you would irrigate these babies on the ebb and flow when first transplanting in clone or seedling cubes. In the future I will root directly into the 6". Also, should I keep the plastic on the sides until they are transplanted into the hydroton? And finally, I will certainly be keeping an eye on the ppm in the slab as I start to irrigate with nutes. If this ever gets too high do you just flush with quarter strength solution, pure water or final phase? Many thanks again doubled!

S

Scooby Snax

hi mrdizzle, hi doubled and all at this site :big_boss: hi from the uk

i've just signed up after reading your threads, 50 pages, what a pleasant way to spend a saturday afternoon!

i'm visiting from another uk 420 site getting up to speed on control tank recirculating systems

havn't heard anyone suggest tackling the above problem in veg, ie why not veg your plants actually in baskets soon as the cutting roots, then just transplant them?

i use this in the pic below (its been updated slightly since this pic, reflective top has been added) to veg 6in baskets in before going into flower, so the roots are already well developed before going into their flowering position

it can be set up as a bubbler or with aeroponic sprayers (for when the roots have still to come out)

it would save doubled's 7 day veg if you adapted it, the holes on this one would be too close together for the size you want to veg to, this one is spaced to veg cuttings for DWC. But i'm sure you get the idea

If you didn't have to do the 7 day veg that would get you an extra crop per year ...

I think it best to always have my flowering room on 12/12, its more productive vegging elsewhere

atb

ss :cool0044:

Vegging1
L

Lost

Scooby, there are some of us MPB'ers that take exactly that approach. I myself clone to a 1 inch cube or jiffy pelet. As soon as I have roots it goes into a 10 inch netpot lid, and onto a 5 gallon bucket. Once its ready, I just move the pot from the 5 gallon bucket into the MPB.

DD's has been doing this a long time and I have not. :)

M

mrdizzle

I would veg mine straight into my 3gallong buckets, my problem is I dont want to deal with another chiller for my veg tent. In and ideal world I would be vegging in buckets under 2 1000ws until they are 3ft

Latest posts

Top Bottom