my first grow - Ice cream cake by humboldt seeds

• Thread starter strikepower
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Thank you 🙂 why do some people cut almost all the leaves?

because they see other people defoliating and try to copy it without really understanding the what and the why behind it most of the time. I'm very much pro defoliation but only in certain circumstances eg. growing indoors, lollipopping to focus plant growth, removing large fans that restrict air flow etc. but with you being week 4 into flower I wouldn't induce any stress that isn't necessary. You can tuck large leaves to expose bud sites and definitely feel free to remove lower fan leaves as they start to die off

I'll typically do a light defole in the veg phase as needed for air flow and then around week 3 of flower I will do my final lollipop & fan leaf removal and then the plant doesn't get touched unless a leaf is dead

Last edited:
R

ritoMox

because they see other people defoliating and try to copy it without really understanding the what and the why behind it most of the time. I'm very much pro defoliation but only in certain circumstances eg. growing indoors, lollipopping to focus plant growth, removing large fans that restrict air flow etc. but with you being week 4 into flower I wouldn't induce any stress that isn't necessary. You can tuck large leaves to expose bud sites and definitely feel free to remove lower fan leaves as they start to die off

I'll typically do a light defole in the veg phase as needed for air flow and then around week 3 of flower I will do my final lollipop & fan leaf removal and then the plant doesn't get touched unless a leaf is dead
Damn, I just realized that there's most likely REAL legends on this site. Damn damn damn, what an honor to be able to interact with hundreds/Thousands of years worth of knowledge just being generously shared with the world. Life is a trip🙏✌️

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

@TrublsmScholar @Shaded_One I am very afraid of mold, but I think the air flow is sufficient. 🙂 thank you very much for your help! 🤩

You'll be OK - just make sure you've got good airflow among the canopy/big buds and that you don't have any pockets of moist stagnant air not moving around. Also monitor your RH especially at night when lights go off as you'll get a spike in humidity at that time.

@ritoMox 🤣 the only legend here is Potsie

Moshmen

Moshmen

You'll be OK - just make sure you've got good airflow among the canopy/big buds and that you don't have any pockets of moist stagnant air not moving around. Also monitor your RH especially at night when lights go off as you'll get a spike in humidity at that time.

I believe his tenure here will be short lived! 🫢

S

strikepower

humidity is between 40% - 60% 🙂

Buzzy12

Buzzy12

Supporter
@strikepower Some information for anybody interested in learning, here's an article from High Times that talks about the benefits of extreme defoliation properly timed.
There are a lot of benefits to defoliation like @Shaded_One mentioned (better air flow, better light penetration, energy being sent to the flower sites, etc.) it just needs to be done at the right time. Josh Haupt is getting 4 lbs per light out in Colorado now so I would say he knows what he's talking about. I was introduced to the "schwazze" last year and at first I thought the plants were going to die by the next day, but in about 3 days time it looks like you did next to nothing the plants have bounced back so much. It seems to invigorate the plants and sends all of the energy to the high value flower tops. Cannabis thrives on properly timed stress.

At this point into Week 4 of flower the only leaves I would be removing are large fan leaves that aren't on the top two nodes that are blocking light and air flow, but I would suggest doing that at Day 21 of Flower and take off pretty much every leaf except the top two nodes, "schwazze". You haven't done a major defoliation yet so I wouldn't do that now. And again like @Shaded_One said, pretty much only dead looking leaves the rest of the way after that. Keep up the great work and never stop learning. The plants look healthy!

S

strikepower

@strikepower Some information for anybody interested in learning, here's an article from High Times that talks about the benefits of extreme defoliation properly timed.
There are a lot of benefits to defoliation like @Shaded_One mentioned (better air flow, better light penetration, energy being sent to the flower sites, etc.) it just needs to be done at the right time. Josh Haupt is getting 4 lbs per light out in Colorado now so I would say he knows what he's talking about. I was introduced to the "schwazze" last year and at first I thought the plants were going to die by the next day, but in about 3 days time it looks like you did next to nothing the plants have bounced back so much. It seems to invigorate the plants and sends all of the energy to the high value flower tops. Cannabis thrives on properly timed stress.

At this point into Week 4 of flower the only leaves I would be removing are large fan leaves that aren't on the top two nodes that are blocking light and air flow, but I would suggest doing that at Day 21 of Flower and take off pretty much every leaf except the top two nodes, "schwazze". You haven't done a major defoliation yet so I wouldn't do that now. And again like @Shaded_One said, pretty much only dead looking leaves the rest of the way after that. Keep up the great work and never stop learning. The plants look healthy!
I am very grateful for your help! I will read this article that you sent me. I am aware that I have a long learning journey ahead of me. I have learned a lot through the Internet and I want to show this knowledge in practice. thank you!! 🙂😇

Latest posts

Top Bottom