My First Indoor Setup! Pointers?

• Thread starter gardnguyahoy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

I'm sure she wasn't leading you a stray, you need to scope it and pull when it's to your liking.

-lurkin

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I read somewhere today that "two weeks" is a joke that vets tell newbies for asking when to chop their weed. So id like to ask straight up if yall are messing with me, id appreciate a straight answer

Reading this disheartened me a great deal, if its the truth i dont think i belong amongst the farm goers @Seamaiden
It's not something I'm familiar with. And even so, if it's true, fuck 'em. You have to let the plant go for a REALLY long time after prime harvest period to actually lose bud. Like weeks after harvest, weeks and weeks.

Neither have I seen anyone here, especially our best veteran growers, giving that kind of advice. They may give advice I don't necessarily agree with, but I fully believe they are giving it from the heart and head and with the best of intentions.

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

It's not something I'm familiar with. And even so, if it's true, fuck 'em. You have to let the plant go for a REALLY long time after prime harvest period to actually lose bud. Like weeks after harvest, weeks and weeks.

Neither have I seen anyone here, especially our best veteran growers, giving that kind of advice. They may give advice I don't necessarily agree with, but I fully believe they are giving it from the heart and head and with the best of intentions.

I appreciate that. And to be clear, i didnt read it on the farm. When i read it, it sparked a memory of you saying "another two weeks" to someome recently on your "how to tell when to harvest" thread and i guess thats all it took for suspicion to rise. So i thought id just ask. It seemed really uncharacteristic for you, your always helping ANYONE who asks out of a tight situation, plus you and i have shared some fun, funny and informative conversations over the past few months...so i was like...really? You can imagine my confusion. Im glad you said what you did, and were able to shed some light.

I, like any other human, have issues here and there. I guess one of mine is always feeling like i dont fit in. So it was easy to tell myself i was being dicked around. I apologize if my question came off mean, or suggestive towards you or this forum at all. I got nothing but respect for you guys, and i feel lucky to have a place where i fit, trying my best not to screw it up lol. Thanks for the honesty, and sorry for the accusations, as they were.

Gguy

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
I appreciate that. And to be clear, i didnt read it on the farm. When i read it, it sparked a memory of you saying "another two weeks" to someome recently on your "how to tell when to harvest" thread and i guess thats all it took for suspicion to rise. So i thought id just ask. It seemed really uncharacteristic for you, your always helping ANYONE who asks out of a tight situation, plus you and i have shared some fun, funny and informative conversations over the past few months...so i was like...really? You can imagine my confusion. Im glad you said what you did, and were able to shed some light.

I, like any other human, have issues here and there. I guess one of mine is always feeling like i dont fit in. So it was easy to tell myself i was being dicked around. I apologize if my question came off mean, or suggestive towards you or this forum at all. I got nothing but respect for you guys, and i feel lucky to have a place where i fit, trying my best not to screw it up lol. Thanks for the honesty, and sorry for the accusations, as they were.

Gguy
just remember you are growing for you and your style. take the basics and run. always make the call your call in the end.

MGRox

MGRox

Gguy
At least I'm not the only one who doesn't feel like they fit in xD. Sometimes I feel like a leper around here lol; but that's prolly a lot in my head.

With the 2 weeks thing; like Sea, I don't think there's any joking to it either. New growers are pretty much guaranteed to pull to early, unless they have an adviser. Since the old wives tale about amber trichomes doesn't always work; a new grower doesn't really have all the experience / tools to know for sure. Heck, even seasoned growers will often play around with pull dates too and don't expect to find the perfect day on the first run.

Also as Sea pointed out, most plants have a decent "window" for "acceptable" pull times. Guess, thinking about this I still have notes from my first successful run (with pot of gold) and the optimal pull date was one thing I tested in that first go. Sample pieces were taken @ 49, 56, 59, 65, 66, 75, 76, 86 days. 49 had noticeable green flavor (early), 56 had a tiny bit (earliest window), 61 had first visible amber trichomes, 76 still tasted fine, but 86 tasted green again (too late). So, with that particular strain, run and environment; the "window" was about 3 weeks.

Junk

Junk

It looks good. That said I only read the first page of this.

You said you seem to want to try everything everyone suggests so just take this for what it's worth.

If you were going to use co2 you would want it in the flower room, using it during veg will speed things up, but it can be costly. I used to use it the whole run, but now I just use it for the first 3/4 of flowering, I also start it about 10 days before the flip. But the flower room you said is the one you have vented.

I've never seen anyone measure it, so I don't know if the co2 setup you have is worth the effort. My guess would be it's not making a significant difference. (Is that what I'm looking at? Or is that a meth lab?) For rooms that size, to be effective, you need an abundance of light, & a tank/regulator setup in my opinion.

Co2 will increase your temps too, so it's really environment dependent. If your temps already run too hot, co2 will make it worse. If you are too cold it will increase temps, but if i recall correctly, it's not making the best use of the co2. It increases yields, at least for me, however I find that if you don't come off of it the last few weeks the taste/smell can suffer a little. Visually, it looks more potent to me if you run it the whole way through, but ime, it will alter the terpenes, especially if you are running too hot.

I would scrog what you have going on the first page, but if you have a separate veg/flower space you obviously need to get the scrog setup in the flower space...unless you have a way of moving all the plants & the scrog as a unit.

Personally, I hate scrogging, it works well, it's just a pain to work around in my opinion. That said, I still end up using it often enough.

Neither have I. I've read that you have a 2 week window from where your harvest where it is at it's peak. I agree with that theory. It's probably @ 2 weeks where you could pull it & it will be at its best. But if you pull it early, (mostly clear) it's pretty much a waste. I just pulled my test plant early (intentionally) just to see if this one was any different...it's not. If you pull it early, it's just North of useless.

But you can pull it late, & provided it's good bud grown well, it will still be effective, but pretty sedating ime.

So the two week window is probably ideal. But speaking practically, once the two weeks has gone, by the potency decreases slowly enough that if you missed the exit you'll be fine.

If you pull it early, you wasted all those resources because even fantastic bud will be terrible.

If you pull it late (within reason) you will still have a usable product.

In my opinion, it's nothing to worry about. Just get a scope of some kind, you already read Seamaiden's thread...couple those things & it's pretty hard to mess up.

Last edited:
gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

With that in mind, now begins the gardenguy experiment...

I have sample nugs from day 66, 69, of ghost og
Now at day 73
IMG 20150930 100808

Ghost OG pot #3 cut at day 73

I plan to cut pot #2 and #1 between now and day 80.
And i think ill stick with powers advice and chop CD at day 80.

Truthfully, im smoking on my day 66 sample here n there, and while the uncured taste is a little harsh, the buds are strong and super stoney like top shelf from the clinic.:cool:

However, the high doesnt last very long...like 30 minutes....

@MGRox youd be suprised at how many introverts choose this passion. It takes a unique personality to be creative. In my time on this earth ive learned a general rule of thumb about artists and creative types, the more talented they are, the more tortured of a soul they seem to be. Your most certainly not alone my friend, of that im sure. o_O -weird guy face-

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

It looks good. That said I only read the first page of this.

You said you seem to want to try everything everyone suggests so just take this for what it's worth.

If you were going to use co2 you would want it in the flower room, using it during veg will speed things up, but it can be costly. I used to use it the whole run, but now I just use it for the first 3/4 of flowering, I also start it about 10 days before the flip. But the flower room you said is the one you have vented.

I've never seen anyone measure it, so I don't know if the co2 setup you have is worth the effort. My guess would be it's not making a significant difference. (Is that what I'm looking at? Or is that a meth lab?) For rooms that size, to be effective, you need an abundance of light, & a tank/regulator setup in my opinion.

Co2 will increase your temps too, so it's really environment dependent. If your temps already run too hot, co2 will make it worse. If you are too cold it will incrtaboutut if i recall correctly, it's not making the best use of the co2. It increases yields, at least for me, however I find that if you don't come off of it the last few weeks the taste/smell can suffer a little. Visually, it looks more potent to me if you run it the whole way through, but ime, it will alter the terpenes, especially if you are running too hot.

I would scrog what you have going on the first page, but if you have a separate veg/flower space you obviously need to get the scrog setup in the flower space...unless you have a way of moving all the plants & the scrog as a unit.

Personally, I hate scrogging, it works well, it's just a pain to work around in my opinion. That said, I still end up using it often enough.

Neither have I. I've read that you have a 2 week window from where your harvest where it is at it's peak. I agree with that theory. It's probably @ 2 weeks where you could pull it & it will be at its best. But if you pull it early, (mostly clear) it's pretty much a waste. I just pulled my test plant early (intentionally) just to see if this one was any different...it's not. If you pull it early, it's just North of useless.

But you can pull it late, & provided it's good bud grown well, it will still be effective, but pretty sedating ime.

So the two week window is probably ideal. But speaking practically, once the two weeks has gone, by the potency decreases slowly enough that if you missed the exit you'll be fine.

If you pull it early, you wasted all those resources because even fantastic bud will be terrible.

If you pull it late (within reason) you will still have a usable product.

In my opinion, it's nothing to worry about. Just get a scope of some kind, you already read Seamaiden's thread...couple those things & it's pretty hard to mess up.

Having read this, i kind of want to wait longer on my ghost. I took a good hard long look and found zero amber trichs before i cut pot #3. Perhaps i should wait another week before my next plant goes down.

And yes its co2 haha, no meth anywhere NEAR my home. Knock on wood. Its firmenting sugar water, and was an experiment. While it does create co2, the amount is questionable of course. And i didnt know about NOT venting from co2 room until recently. Theres this mushroom mix for co2 at my local hydro store, you like, mix the two ingredients in the bag and spores or shrooms or something grows and puts off a room full of co2 for 2 months. (Which would be perfect for utilizing your suggestion of tapering off the co2 by the end of your cycle)

Ive been thinking hard on how im gonna scrub the air and recycle it. I was thinking about building a box with my mini split inside and siphening my pre-scrubbed hot air into there, then pulling air in from the box.

Somehow, i hope theres a way to recycle my air. Been on the foreground of my mind for a couple weeks now

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Any bud is gonna taste like hay if you dont cure it right. The trick is to get it in the jar at the right time and you need a small hygrometer to measure the rh in the jar.

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Any bud is gonna taste like hay if you dont cure it right. The trick is to get it in the jar at the right time and you need a small hygrometer to measure the rh in the jar.
theres a lil more to it than just cure..it can be taken to early and you will never shake that hay smell. your method of drying plays a factor also. but normally hay smell comes when the plant isn't grown out all the way. omo tho

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

theres a lil more to it than just cure..it can be taken to early and you will never shake that hay smell. your method of drying plays a factor also. but normally hay smell comes when the plant isn't grown out all the way. omo tho

Is it true that drying too fast will cause this hay smell as well? I have a humidifier in my drying space. Venting ac air directly in there so RH stays about 50 55. But i cant seem to keep temps below 70 during the day. Also, i plan on following some advice i read and watering the night before chop, chop at lights on in the morning. Supposedly the slower you dry the better the smoke will come out. I plan to jar soon as the branches snap not bend. Store in a cool dark place and burp twice a day for a month, maybe two.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this better? Cause as of now its my plan

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
Is it true that drying too fast will cause this hay smell as well? I have a humidifier in my drying space. Venting ac air directly in there so RH stays about 50 55. But i cant seem to keep temps below 70 during the day. Also, i plan on following some advice i read and watering the night before chop, chop at lights on in the morning. Supposedly the slower you dry the better the smoke will come out. I plan to jar soon as the branches snap not bend. Store in a cool dark place and burp twice a day for a month, maybe two.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how to do this better? Cause as of now its my plan
yes to fast is no bueno

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter

your plan sounds good to me.. if your not confortable with the temp. get a small fan on low just to keep the air from getting stale

Lurkin4yrs

Lurkin4yrs

I like to hang dry in the dark til the outside gets crispy(4-5 days at 70dg 60%)then clip buds and put them in a 5 gal bucket with a gamma lid. I let them rehydrate from the inside for a day then throw them on a drying rack while I trim then in the jars they go.

Everyone gets down a little different

3N1GM4

3N1GM4

Dry it in a cardboard box hanging from a string till the smaller stems snap then cut from larger stems and put it in a jar with a hygrometer and burp it accordingly.

str8smokn

str8smokn

@3N1GM4 i was trying to find a grow log of yours and can't find one. What all have/are you running,what size room you in ,ect.?
STR8

gardnguyahoy

gardnguyahoy

your plan sounds good to me.. if your not confortable with the temp. get a small fan on low just to keep the air from getting stale

I got a little 6 inch fan blowing the humidifier and ac air together. Since the ac air is coming from a cfm fan it creates some air flow as well. However, i made damn sure no direct air is blown on the buds. Still 71-75 throughout the day. I can get my flower room really cold w out the hps on. But theres stiill plants going. Hopefully by next round ill have a better plan or a better setup going

Power OG

Power OG

Gguy
My man i would never steer you in the wrong direction, i only want to help any and everybody who wants to learn how to grow good clean meds. Being patient and letting the plants fully ripen is one of the hardest things for a new grower in my opinion, be patient your doing great ,your miles ahead of where i was on my 1st indoor grow. I want you to have the absolute Best cannabis in your area, i want you to continue growing 4ever, and ive personally put my hand out to you immediately directed to a thread where you can get answers from many talented guys & girls with different styles. Please trust we we're all new growers and i agree that some sites and also some growers here can be dicks at times and give worthless info but really not common here because of some good mods, so "your so money and you dnt even know it" keep doing great what day you on?

Last edited:
Top Bottom