Need to kill some mites fast! Possible russet mites!!

• Thread starter kushtrees
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
K

kushtrees

ok I had a minute so heres an abstract on a predator mite for tomato russets. I can post the whole thing if anyone wants to see it its pretty long tho

Predation, development, and oviposition experiments were conducted to evaluate Amblyseius swirskii (Athias-Henriot) (Acari: Phytoseiidae) as a potential biological control agent for tomato russet mite, Aculops lycopersici (Massee) (Acari: Eriophyidae), which can be a serious pest of greenhouse tomatoes. Results showed that A, swirskii attacked all developmental stages of A. lycopersici and had a type II functional response at the prey densities tested. The attack rate and handling time estimates from the random predator equation were 0.1289/h and 0.2320 h, respectively, indicating that A. swirskii can consume 103.4 individuals per day. Predation rates of A. swirskii on A. lycopersici in the presence of alternative food sources such as pollen, first-instar thrips, or whitefly eggs were 74, 56, and 76%, respectively, compared with the predation rate on A. lycopersici alone. A. swirskiisuccessfully completed their life cycle on either A. lycopersici or cattail (Typha latifolia L.) pollen. At 25Ā°C and 70% RH, developmental time of female A. swirskii fed on A. lycopersici or on cattail pollen was 4.97 and 6.16 d, respectively, For the first 10 d after molting to the adult stage, A. swirskii fed on A. lycopersici had higher daily oviposition rate (2.0 eggs per day) than on pollen (1.5 eggs per day). From this laboratory study, it can be concluded that A. swirskii has promising traits as a predator against A. lycopersici and that their populations can be maintained using alternative food sources such as cattail pollen. We suggest that the effectiveness of A. swirskii against A. lycopersici under field conditions needs next to be investigated.

K

kushtrees

heres a few segments on a study about all russet mites, ill be posting parts related to the tomato russet though for because of their similarity

In general, eriophyoid mites prove to be fairly susceptible to most commonly used
acaricides, as was demonstrated by Childers et al. (1996). When compared to mite species
belonging to the Tetranychidae, eriophyoid mites were at least equally susceptible to well
known acaricides amitraz, dicofol, propargite, bromopropylate, ethion and abamectin.
However, the benzoylphenylurea insecticides diļ¬‚ubenzuron and teļ¬‚ubenzuron, which have
little effect on Tetranychidae, showed very good efļ¬cacy on rust mites (Childers et al.
1996; Scarpellini and Clari 1999). Also, fungicides like dithiocarbamates (mancozeb,
maneb, zineb), tolylļ¬‚uanid (euparen), dinitrophenoles (dinocap) and benzimidazoles
(benomyl) exhibit sometimes strong side-effects on eriophyoid mites and have therefore
long been used to suppress these mites, but they have only limited to moderate activity on
spider mites (Childers et al. 1996; Kalaisekar et al. 2000).
Due to their susceptibility to the available acaricides, one could wonder whether there is
a problem with controlling eriophyoids. Susceptibility is one aspect, but getting the compounds in contact with the mites is another: the main problem with eriophyoid control
is the hidden lifestyle of a number of important species. Mites hiding in galls, blisters and
buds are not easily accessible. In these cases, an accurate timing of the applications is
important, in order to reach the life stages that (temporarily) leave the hiding places, and
can, only at those times, be reached with pesticides. That is why, in most cases, control is
directed against the adults which are searching for spots to induce their hiding places for
the immature life stages (in case of gall mites) or for existing shelters (for bud mites). Since
the appearance of these adults is mostly spread over a number of days or weeks, control is
best provided with acaricides providing long residual control. On the other hand, rust mites
have a more superļ¬cial lifestyle on the underside of leaves, leaving them exposed
throughout their life cycle, resulting in easier control.
Understanding the pest and beneļ¬cial species complex present in the targeted crop is
another challenge for the control of eriophyoid mites. The beneļ¬cial species include
naturally occurring predatory insects and mites and those released for biological control
purposes. It seems that in many cropping systems where eriophyoid mites cause economic
damage, such as apple and citrus orchards, Tetranychidae are also main pests, and therefore
application timing and product choice should reļ¬‚ect concerns on the economic damage of
both species.

Organophosphates such as chlorpyrifos and dimethoate are
still available as acaricides, and although they have proven to be efļ¬cient in controlling
eriophyid mites like the tomato russet mite A. lycopersici and the litchi gall mite Aceria
litchii (Keifer)

Out of the pyrethroids, a number of compounds with excellent miticidal activity (e.g.
fenpropathrin, fenvalerate and ļ¬‚uvalinate) (Childers et al. 1996) are most probably no longer
included in Annex I (Table 1). One exception might be bifenthrin, which has excellent
acaricidal properties on many mite species, including the Eriophyoidea, but still pending.
However, resistance to bifenthrin is also well documented in spider mites (e.g. Herron et al.
2001; Ay and Gurkan 2005; Van Leeuwen et al. 2005; Tsagkarakou et al. 2009) and the use of
pyrethroids has led in the past to the resurgence of eriophyoid mites (Easterbrook 1996).
The macrocyclic lactone compounds avermectin and milbemectin, which are since long
successfully used on many insect and mite pests will fortunately remain available. They
have shown good activity on a range of eriophyoid mites, including the pear rust mite
Epitrimerus pyri Nalepa, A. schlechtendali, Eriophyes dioscoridis Soliman & Abou-Awad
and P. oleivora (Childers et al. 1996; Stansly et al. 2007; Smith et al. 1998; Walston et al.
2005, 2007) However, abamectin and milbemectin are frequently used against other pests,
which have developed and are developing resistance, including spider mites (Clark et al.
1995; Campos et al. 1996, Stumpf and Nauen 2002). Variable abamectin susceptibility was
also already detected in eriophyoid mites (Bergh et al. 1999), and care should be taken
when frequently using these compounds in certain crops.
In the early 1990s, four new compounds were launched for spider mite control: pyridaben, fenpyroximate, tebufenpyrad and fenazaquin (Hirata et al. 1995; Konno et al. 1990;
Kyomura et al. 1990; Longhurst et al. 1992). Although these chemicals belong to different
chemical families, their mode of action is similar, i.e. inhibiting complex 1 of the respiratory chain, hence their classiļ¬cation in the group of Mitochondrial Electron Transport
Inhibitors (METIs) (Hollingworth and Ahammadsahib 1995; Wood et al. 1996). These four
compounds became very popular and are used world wide due to their high efļ¬cacy, quick
knockdown and long residual control. METIs have good activity on eriophyoid mites and they remain a valuable tool in controlling these species worldwide. Unfortunately pyridaben, which provided excellent control of P. oleivora and A. schlechtendali is to be
discontinued, together with fenazaquin (still available outside Europe), leaving tebufenpyrad and fenpyromixate, of which the latter is most suited to control eriophyoid
mites (Sujatha et al. 2004; Walgenbach and Schoof 2006). However, spider mites developed resistance to these compounds in many crops worldwide, and cross-resistance
between all four compounds is more the rule than the exception, making a joint control of
eriophyoid mites and spider mites difļ¬cult (Herron and Rophail 1998; Van Pottelberge
et al. 2008; Nauen et al. 2001; Stumpf and Nauen 2001; Auger et al. 2003).
Since the last review on chemical control of eriophyoid mites by Childers et al. (1996),
only a few new acaricidal compounds with new unique modes of action have been commercialized in Europe: bifenazate, etoxazole, acequinocyl and the tetronic acids spirodiclofen and spiromesifen (Dekeyser 2005). However, the labels or product use guides of
Floramite (bifenazate), Zeal/Baroque (etoxazole) and Kanemite (acequinocyl) explicitly
state that these formulated products can not be used to control rust mites, and that their
efļ¬cacy on gall and bud mites is unknown. The only recently developed chemistry providing control of eriophyoid mites are the tetronic acids spirodiclofen and spiromesifen
(Wachendorff et al. 2000, 2002; Nauen et al. 2005; Bretschneider et al. 2007; De Maeyer
et al. 2002; Walston et al. 2007), described to inhibit lipid biosynthesis and with no crossresistance to those compounds mentioned above.

K

kushtrees

just so people know spiromesifen is the active ingredient in forbid and avermectin is the active ingredient in avid

more to come on biological controls when I have more time

K

kushtrees

For instance, in Europe, in all existing integrated pest and disease management programmes which are used to
prevent and control pest and diseases in tomato, no biological control measure was proposed against A. lycopersici or any other eriophyoid mite (van Lenteren 2000).

Many commercialized phytoseiid predators are sold to control Tetranychidae and thrips
(Gerson et al. 2003; de Faria and Wraight 2007). However, it is known that the generalist
Phytoseiidae (type III and IV) (McMurtry and Croft1997) not only feed on spider mites,
but also prove to be key predators of eriophyoid mites, although none of them have been
speciļ¬cally commercialized for eriophyid control. For instance, Neoseiulus californicus
McGregor predates on A. lycopersici (Castagnoli et al. 2003)

Momen and Abdel-Khalek (2008) studied the phytoseiid mites Typhlodromips swirskii
(Athias-Henriot), Typhlodromus athiasae Porath and Swirski and Paraseiulus talbii
(Athias-Henriot) to evaluate their development and reproductive potential when fed on
mobile stages of the tomato russet mite A. lycopersici. This type of prey proved to be
clearly acceptable food for T. swirskii and T. athiasae but not for P. talbii. The latter never
reached the adult stage when fed on the tomato russet mite.

Phytoseiidae species.............Typhlodromus athiasae..............Amblyseius swirskii
Eriophyoidea.................... Aculops lycopersici.......................Aculops lycopersici
Temperature, humidity .............28C, 75%RH .........................28C, 75%RH
Egg-to adult (days)..................... 8.0.......................................... 7.0
Oviposition period (days) .....................30.7 .............................20.6
Fecundity (eggs) ...........................30.3............................ 35.4
Oviposition rate (eggs/day) ...............0.99.......................... 1.7
rm (1/day) ...........................0.167......................................... 0.265

sorry chart was a bitch to copy paste

K

kushtrees

In a study on A. lycopersici in Japan,
Homeopronematus anconai (Baker) (Prostigmata: Tydeidae) occurred spontaneously in the
experimental plots where it reproduced very quickly and decreased the population of the
tomato rust mite (Kawai and Haque 2004).

I have no idea where to get any of these predators btw

as far as fungal/ bacteria controls go I havent found any that are effective on tomato russet mites, I can post a couple paragraphs on mycopathogens to control other mites tho if anyone wants

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
1. sulphur burner only slows them down , it won't cure them
2. azatrol/ azamax did nothing
3. sm90 slowed them
4. stylet oil did nothing
5. neem oil did nothing
6. safer sulphur did nothing
7. avid wiped them out for a few months
8.90% iso spray did nothing
9. rotating avid dip with tetrasan ovacide dip 2 days between total 3 dips of each worked

the key is cutting back all your moms to a single small clone of each plant , you will have an incredibly hard time getting rid of them with a large canopy . it wasn't until i tossed all large plants and focused my assault on them with single node cuttings that i got rid of them . eggs can lay dormant for months . avid dip kills adults while terasan crystallizes and kills the eggs . if you don't address the eggs in time they will return . this is my first hand experience with these little bastards ..

This advice is straight MONEY.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Any ideas on safety for ovacides?

Tetrasan is:
Active Ingredient *Etoxazole............................... 5%
OtherIngredients.......................... 95% Total...................................... 00%
*2-(2,6-difluorophenyl)-4-[4-(,-dimethylethyl)- 2-ethoxyphenyl]-4,5-dihydrooxazole

Ovation (also a translaminar I think, will go read more):
Clofentezine (3,6-bis (2-chlorophenyl) - 1,2,4,5-tetrazine) .............................................. 42%

Here's a short description of several miticides/ovicides (including the ones mentioned in this thread):
http://www.gpnmag.com/mite-b-gone-ā€”-understanding-miticides

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Okay I was incorrect above, ovation is contact-only not translam

T

Thatgirl

Now I can't find the response that said something about avermectin. They use "mectins" for livestock dewormer, there is the ivermectin, iverease, bimectin, and so on. There are also pyrantals, pyrantals, pamoates, as well as moxidectin, which must be similar to the mectins, but I know its a way more strong, and broad spectrum dewormer. All of these things are used on horses and cattle, and I am not sure but I think most, if not all are used on swine too. I wonder if it would work to mix any of those with water and use it like that for pest control?

T

Thatgirl

Is there not a way to edit posts? I wanted to edit my above post but don't see an option? Anyway, I meant to say praziquantal instead of typing pyrantal twice Lol.

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

Is there not a way to edit posts? I wanted to edit my above post but don't see an option? Anyway, I meant to say praziquantal instead of typing pyrantal twice Lol.
you get 5 minutes to edit then the option dissapears. welcome to the farm :)

K

kushtrees

forbid is translaminar, i havent heard of ovation before though

There are multiple "relatives" (im not sure what the correct word is, I dont know enough chem) of avermectin, the only ones I have heard of are ivermectin and piperazine. Im pretty ivermectin is used in the vet industry, yet I would do a lot of research before I applied it on a plant. Scary enough I heard of piperazine being in e pills as a mdma substitute, now that is scary

anyways update on the mite situation....

atomized some avid on the ladies, my new atomizer is a beast, tons of power blows the plants all over.
its only been a day, but I have not been able to scope any live mites, even though I am pretty sure I can see the eggs still. going to do another application in a couple days. after the 3rd application Im going to flower these way over vegged beasts, than its sulfur, safer 3 in 1, and possibly mighty wash to hold em off till harvest

once my clones are out of the cloner they are getting avid/ forbid dunks and hopefully after a thorough bleaching of all rooms, I will never see these fucks again

on a side note I read on the mighty wash site that mighty wash may leave a residue and that power wash is to clean it off, I feel like this is another sign that mighty wash isnt just water...

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

What about lady bugs?... They go to town on most anything mite like. Ill even do some research for you ;)

Chobble

P.S.

Looked it up, Lady bugs do a number on cannabis ridden with russet mites. My IPM involves lady bugs now... They live in the room :p

Lady bugs have never worked for me.

Its like being in a Disney movie until they die...lol.....its kinda neat when they are all in there.

FlyingSkull

FlyingSkull

The top two products that worked best was Mighty Wash by NPK Industries and also a product called "Nuke 'Em" both of which work VERY VERY well (made by a different company than Mighty Wash). NPK Industries also sells a awsome product for PM and also a product to wash off any chemical residues left behind. AMAZING products!!

The Mighty Wash completely eliminated the spider mites (two spotted) after 4 applications spread out about 5 to 6 days between each application.

The Nuke Em product worked in about 4 applications as well.

jollycuntstable

jollycuntstable

So I've been noticing some weird issue with some leaves lately, they have lil sore like things by the leaf blades and as it gets worse the leaves curl inward and claw down, sort of looks like Over nuting. I'll have pics tomorrow don't have my camera or loupe on me. Anyways I looked tod
So I've been noticing some weird issue with some leaves lately, they have lil sore like things by the leaf blades and as it gets worse the leaves curl inward and claw down, sort of looks like Over nuting. I'll have pics tomorrow don't have my camera or loupe on me. Anyways I looked today and saw some lil tiny white bugs, sort of looked liked spider mites, but they were on the top of the leaves and I could see the lil white things moving around.

After looking thru the forums here n some pics online it looks like possible russet mites, im 90% sure it's a mite of some sort, but because it's not underneath the leaf I'm thinking it's not spider mites. These things have apparently survived ACT, caps foliar pack straight, azamax (low dose), pyrethrum. And now I need to know what do to next. From what I've read sulfur and avid seem to be the things to do. I'm 4 days in flower so if ima use avid it has to be soon

Here's my plan for now
Tomorrow azamax (highest dose) with pyrethrum, tho if that won't do anything ima drop it
Ima try and get some safer brand sulfur spray to hit em 3 days later
I'ma burn some sulfur also, never done it before, does it need to be 3 days apart from a foliar or can I do it the day after?
If I can find avid locally I'll try that, but I have a left over vial of floramite, anyone know if that will work?

I'll prolly be reading up on this all night so I have a thorough plan for tomorrow and the week, any help is super appreciated! I'll have some pics up tomorrow as well

ay and saw some lil tiny white bugs, sort of looked liked spider mites, but they were on the top of the leaves and I could see the lil white things moving around.

After looking thru the forums here n some pics online it looks like possible russet mites, im 90% sure it's a mite of some sort, but because it's not underneath the leaf I'm thinking it's not spider mites. These things have apparently survived ACT, caps foliar pack straight, azamax (low dose), pyrethrum. And now I need to know what do to next. From what I've read sulfur and avid seem to be the things to do. I'm 4 days in flower so if ima use avid it has to be soon

Here's my plan for now
Tomorrow azamax (highest dose) with pyrethrum, tho if that won't do anything ima drop it
I'ma burn some sulfur also, never done it before, does it need to be 3 days apart from a foliar or can I do it the day after?
If I can find avid locally I'll try that, but I have a left over vial of floramite, anyone know if that will work?

I'll prolly be reading up on this all night so I have a thorough plan for tomorrow and the week, any help is super appreciated! I'll have some pics up tomorrow as well

jollycuntstable

jollycuntstable

So I've been noticing some weird issue with some leaves lately, they have lil sore like things by the leaf blades and as it gets worse the leaves curl inward and claw down, sort of looks like Over nuting. I'll have pics tomorrow don't have my camera or loupe on me. Anyways I looked today and saw some lil tiny white bugs, sort of looked liked spider mites, but they were on the top of the leaves and I could see the lil white things moving around.

Here's my plan for now

Here's my plan for now

jollycuntstable

jollycuntstable

INSECTS MITE...ONE SOLUTION IS ZIONIDE ...WORKS WONDERS ....ALSO USE OF OZONE ;) ONE DROP 4.5 LITRES

Prime C

Prime C

Defender of Dank
Supporter
I had a Bubblegum plant infested! And it was spreading to everything. I used the Hot Shot No Mess Fogger. That shit nocks them dead!. Then I follow up with Bayer Mite and Disease control spray diluted with water by half. This included wiping the plants down with a paper towel with the spray on it. If your in late flower just use the bomb and follow up with another bomb about a week later. I fought the mites and I won!

Latest posts

Top Bottom