new grower knows nothing!!! help

• Thread starter alexnewgrowr
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
drewski85

drewski85

some good grow book authors to check out are Greg green, Mel frank,jorge Cervantes,Mel Thomas, S.T oner and Ed rosenthal. rosenthal's marijuana growers handbook and Greg Green's cannabis growers bible are my personal faves. it wouldn't hurt to buy a strain guide too but they aren't as important to have.between the authors I listed and the forums, there's a ton of info out there

A

alexnewgrowr

For some reason it uploaded the same plant

Last edited:
GoldiNugs

GoldiNugs

Books are good, but everything you need to know can be found online. Most books are outdated and based on old information.

A

alexnewgrowr

This might be a dumb question but how do do i know when the flowering stage has started?

Dunge

Dunge

Been reading this forum for five years and had never heard of putting a seedling into 12/12 flowering.
I did try sexing out a plant by putting a rooted cutting into the flower room, then decided to let the girls flower out.
The harvest was so small, didn't think it worth the effort.
Most growers let a seedling develop into a small bush under 18/6 or so until well after they show their sex.
Once placed into 12/12 I expect to see flowering in a week with nice white tops by two weeks.
I think of growing plants like making a fire.
The more photosynthetic surface you have (heat) the faster new tissue is created (flame).
This cartoon lowers expectations for seedlings, as they need to get started before they can take off.

A

alexnewgrowr

Been reading this forum for five years and had never heard of putting a seedling into 12/12 flowering.
I did try sexing out a plant by putting a rooted cutting into the flower room, then decided to let the girls flower out.
Most growers let a seedling develop into a small bush under 18/6 or so until well after they show their sex.
Once placed into 12/12 I expect to see flowering in a week with nice white tops by two weeks.
The more photosynthetic surface you have (heat) the faster new tissue is created (flame).
This cartoon lowers expectations for seedlings, as they need to get started before they can take off.
Ok i understood some of that....whats this cartoon you speak of also ive been giving them as much cfl light as possible my process is kinda slow as far as i need another lamp for the second bulb so for how long the light is on i would say most days 12 maybe 13 hrs on days off from work up to 15 to 16 i wish i could leave it on but cant due to my living situation,
I have a small bush on the tops of both plants.

A

alexnewgrowr

I do it all the time. But I run a bunch of plants and lots of lights. not needed now in your setup. we need to get these growing. maybe train them a bit on how to grow , transplant them to final pots and then sex them down the road praying we get at least one female. or we start again.
Hey buddy i wanted to ask you when should i get those 2700k bulbs and should i put them with the 5000k? I put up some recent pics of them when and how do you sex them?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
I wouldnt worry about the 2700k bulbs yet. as for sexing them it takes about 45 days from seed before pant is mature enough to show sex. Id also add you really are gonna need more than 2 lights to get anything off a plant. Id get the highest watt cfls you can. like 40 something. if it was me id get a cheap vanity light that has 4 or 5 outlets. I know this is a learning experience but with such little light you wont get more than a few grams dried. 1/8th max. if that.

Supergoo

Supergoo

A lot of people do 12/12 from, the benefit from doing this is it keeps your plants much shorter and a lot less bushier. Im able to fit 3 different tents into my apartment since it is incredibly small and I need to make the space I have work. I have a 36in tall tent and 30in tall tent and a 7ft tall one. In the 7ft tall one im able to veg for about 2 months before I flower them out, but if I were to try that in the small tent I have theres no amount of training I could do to make it fit. Yes yields suffer from 12/12 but if your growing in a small space to begin with what exactly were you expecting. However im still able to pull 20-28g dry from each plant, took a lot of practice though. Heres the timeline of 12/12

slow growth 0-12days
faster growth12-25days
20-25days shows sex
25-onwards flowerin starts
65-up to 85 days flowering finishes ready for harvest

Would use 5k or 6.5k bulbs for first 3 weeks, after that I would switch to all 2700k. I have done this way before. Now I only use hps but I started with cfls. If you ever get the chance to upgrade...Do it.

-SG

A

alexnewgrowr

I wouldnt worry about the 2700k bulbs yet. as for sexing them it takes about 45 days from seed before pant is mature enough to show sex. Id also add you really are gonna need more than 2 lights to get anything off a plant. Id get the highest watt cfls you can. like 40 something. if it was me id get a cheap vanity light that has 4 or 5 outlets. I know this is a learning experience but with such little light you wont get more than a few grams dried. 1/8th max. if that.
Oh man ok for sure thanks that would've been a waste,ill do that so more light more buds? Thanks man ill update later.

Supergoo

Supergoo

how do i know what sex they are?

Well asumming you have regular seeds(non-feminized) you should see little pisils that look like V's at your internodes if you have a lady and you will see little balls if its a male, super easy to spot. You wont be able to miss.

Links with pics-

Female organs-

Male organs-

A

alexnewgrowr

Well asumming you have regular seeds(non-feminized) you should see little pisils that look like V's at your internodes if you have a lady and you will see little balls if its a male, super easy to spot. You wont be able to miss.

Links with pics-

Female organs-

https://www.google.com/search?q=female pistils cannabis&biw=1680&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UBw2VIv6B8ehyASU2oGQDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=4QhNsj_lQYLT3M%3A;X9DXQaRRJKYJZM;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.420magazine.com%2Fgallery%2Fdata%2F500%2FFemale37.jpg;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.420magazine.com%2Fforums%2Fseeds-clones-strains%2F190073-sexing-male-female-plants-why-we-clone.html;758;509

https://www.google.com/search?q=female pistils cannabis&biw=1680&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UBw2VIv6B8ehyASU2oGQDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=TTeaFmm6j_MwaM%3A;eDBXAG8ratgrwM;http%3A%2F%2Ffreemygreenpdx.com%2Findex.php%3Fapp%3Dcore%26module%3Dattach%26section%3Dattach%26attach_rel_module%3Dpost%26attach_id%3D12408;http%3A%2F%2Ffreemygreenpdx.com%2Ftopic%2F2594-when-to-harvest-marijuana-peak-thc-production-an%2F;420;417

Male organs-

https://www.google.com/search?q=female pistils cannabis&biw=1680&bih=949&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=UBw2VIv6B8ehyASU2oGQDA&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ#tbm=isch&q=male balls cannabis&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=R1hm1UeGq4bMjM%3A;ln7Zp2E32K33QM;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.420magazine.com%2Fgallery%2Fdata%2F500%2FDSC025862.JPG;http%3A%2F%2Fwww.420magazine.com%2Fforums%2Ffrequently-asked-questions%2F151094-male-cannabis-plant-how-long-till-pollen-2.html;640;480
Wow ok so it is like telling boy from girl thats crazy to me how all living things are so similar.

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
A lot of people do 12/12 from, the benefit from doing this is it keeps your plants much shorter and a lot less bushier. Im able to fit 3 different tents into my apartment since it is incredibly small and I need to make the space I have work. I have a 36in tall tent and 30in tall tent and a 7ft tall one. In the 7ft tall one im able to veg for about 2 months before I flower them out, but if I were to try that in the small tent I have theres no amount of training I could do to make it fit. Yes yields suffer from 12/12 but if your growing in a small space to begin with what exactly were you expecting. However im still able to pull 20-28g dry from each plant, took a lot of practice though. Heres the timeline of 12/12

slow growth 0-12days
faster growth12-25days
20-25days shows sex
25-onwards flowerin starts
65-up to 85 days flowering finishes ready for harvest

Would use 5k or 6.5k bulbs for first 3 weeks, after that I would switch to all 2700k. I have done this way before. Now I only use hps but I started with cfls. If you ever get the chance to upgrade...Do it.

-SG
how many 40 day strains you coming across ?

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter

Ive only ran 12/12 from seed when dealing with pure sativas indoors. only way to control the height and still see what it can do untouched. from 12/12 i end up with a 3 footer instead of 35-45 days of veg then turning it and ending up with 6 feet.. Unless he just wants to see how a plant grows and doesnt expect to get much from the plant Id veg it out for a bit. besides with only 2 plants he may only end up with one female.. or. worst case none. Im gonna keep fingers crossed both are girls.

A

alexnewgrowr

Ive only ran 12/12 from seed when dealing with pure sativas indoors. only way to control the height and still see what it can do untouched. from 12/12 i end up with a 3 footer instead of 35-45 days of veg then turning it and ending up with 6 feet.. Unless he just wants to see how a plant grows and doesnt expect to get much from the plant Id veg it out for a bit. besides with only 2 plants he may only end up with one female.. or. worst case none. Im gonna keep fingers crossed both are girls.
I think i should do 12/12 now then cause i cant have a 6 footer maybe 3 feet

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
I think i should do 12/12 now then cause i cant have a 6 footer maybe 3 feet
I seriously doubt the seeds your running are pure sativas. so I dont think you will have that problem. if it was me Id veg it out and top or low stress train the plants to make them fill out the space more. worse case you can cut the plant back if it got to big before flower. really up to you.

A

alexnewgrowr

I seriously doubt the seeds your running are pure sativas. so I dont think you will have that problem. if it was me Id veg it out and top or low stress train the plants to make them fill out the space more. worse case you can cut the plant back if it got to big before flower. really up to you.
I guess i have a some time to figure it out..ive actually really been thinking about getting a clone i know these are my babys i just don't wanna have things to complicated although this is fun learning about all this...either way im going to keep farming and talking with you knowledgeable ppl thank you guys and girls if there are.;):cigar: Thanks for stickin with me.

Top Bottom