New Room And First Grow With Under Current!

• Thread starter yukon369
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
yukon369

yukon369

@yukon369 Are you still yellowing? Are you top feeding? I was taught to feed along the edge a couple times a day to get those roots extended down through net pod. They could be thirsty.
No they're not yellowing as much now I think I'm getting things figured out. I'm going to post some pictures here in a few.

yukon369

yukon369

It sounds like your soup was too hot and started to cause lockout. As a rule I follow, I always use RO water so I know exactly where "zero" is. It gets a little tougher to troubleshoot when tap water is involved as everyones is different. RO is RO is RO all across the board. Tap water is the bane of RDWC growing and will always have problems with consistency in your grow. 5.5 to 6.1 is a normal PH swing for any UC system so that's normal. However your plants are using the nutrients in the water. pH going up is a good thing. Bump up those ppms by 100-200 PPM per day and you should start to see your pH level off. If it starts trending the other way, going down, then your ppms are too high. The plants would be consuming water faster than the nutrients. When I dump my soup I leave NOTHING in the system. I mean nothing. I get in there with a shop vac and get all the old soup out. But yes, I PH/CalMag treat my water and give it sufficient time to degass before I add my nutes then balance it out again. I have been doing something new lately and I am not sure how it will turn out but I will rinse the root masses with ph's water and fill the system before I place them back in the buckets. I want to see if removing the residual salts in the root mass will help the plants with nutrient uptake.
Thanks for all the awesome information I went ahead and ordered a RO filter today 400 gallons per day. I'm on day nine from clone and my PPM's are at 160 and holding but my pH is slowly going up from 5.5 it's at 5.7 now. Should my PPM's be slowly going down to? I will definitely clean out the system like you do before I do a water change out.

DapperDon

DapperDon

I just noticed that you are using grow stones? Tell me you have washed the everloving shit out of them, then washed them again. Then ph'd them? With the shale type sunleaves rocks the ppm goes up and ph goes up. It appears the chemical reaction causes different leaching depending upon the medium. Results for plants however are still the same. Slow stalled death. I would be willing to bet a jar of head stash that your RO filter will remove this. I am thinking too much calcium in your tap water.

yukon369

yukon369

I just noticed that you are using grow stones? Tell me you have washed the everloving shit out of them, then washed them again. Then ph'd them? With the shale type sunleaves rocks the ppm goes up and ph goes up. It appears the chemical reaction causes different leaching depending upon the medium. Results for plants however are still the same. Slow stalled death. I would be willing to bet a jar of head stash that your RO filter will remove this. I am thinking too much calcium in your tap water.
Yes I'm using grow stones and I did wash them. Damn probably not good enough.

UCMETOO

UCMETOO

YOU are one SMART MOTHERFUCKER!
missed that completely,........looking at my feet sheepishly.

U

Unicorns

I normally have to follow CC usage directions and add CalMag to my Tap water and currently growing Lemon Diesel where I add 2X ( 2ml/gal) the recommended 0. 5 -1 ml/gal .
It takes that to get them green.
Dan do you add it to your RO? It says RO or low PPM Tap.

U

Unicorns

So
I normally have to follow CC usage directions and add CalMag to my Tap water and currently growing Lemon Diesel where I add 2X ( 2ml/gal) the recommended 0. 5 -1 ml/gal .
sorry DON! It's early

DapperDon

DapperDon

You have to add it back to RO water because it removes almost all minerals and your plants need that Cal and Mag. With tap water, you are playing with fire adding CalMag because unless you have had your water tested, there is no telling what levels of minerals you may have in your water and you run the risk of overdosing which will cause lockout. I like to think of growing as a science experiment with absolutely controlled parameters. Everything has to be a known quantity to factor in the equation. If not, then you run into problems and the experiment suffers for it. Not knowing your water when growing in hydro is just asking for trouble. Having clean and pure water is just as vital in my opinion as the seeds you use, the nute regiment, the lighting, everything. They all need to be thought of in the same factor. Yes RO is expensive and wasteful but that is the cost of what we do to do it right.
As far as the net pots go, I was keeping my water about an inch to an inch and a half from the net pot. I also do not use the 8" nets that come with the UC I have the solid walled 10" net pots with the mesh at the bottom. Heath Robinson showed us some time back that he found that they eliminate cord roots dramatically and I have found that to be true. I am thinking about designing some kind of trellis for the inside of the buckets to help the root mass fan out a bit for better nute flow in the buckets through the roots as well.

yukon369

yukon369

I like the water 1 inch below the net pot and get rid of the air diffusers go with air stones :)

Hogwash
Do you think the Eco Plus Air Stone Disc 8 inch would would work well? These air Diffusers suck.

N

NWElite89

Do you think the Eco Plus Air Stone Disc 8 inch would would work well? These air Diffusers suck.
I would stay away from the disc diffusers. I find that they dont work as well as the cylinder stones. I know recently some disc diffuser products have come with suction cups to prevent floating, but they deteriorate faster and the air tends to come out of one spot where the tubing and disc connect.

yukon369

yukon369

I see Chemdog in there. Got to love the taste and smell. What are you going to use to tie down? Hanging Scrog?
Yes there is Chemdog! Not sure how i want to do it just yet. Was thinking Cages with game fence? idk...

yukon369

yukon369

I would stay away from the disc diffusers. I find that they dont work as well as the cylinder stones. I know recently some disc diffuser products have come with suction cups to prevent floating, but they deteriorate faster and the air tends to come out of one spot where the tubing and disc connect.
Oaky ill stay away from the discs thanks for the info!!

Top Bottom