• Thread starter Dusted
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So 1000 watts of led I will be able to do more then a 5 by 5 area in this case ?

Not significantly more no. You could spread out the boards and get a bit more space covered but that is about it. Others might argue but I base that on 35w per ft sq. My lights have dimmers so 960w of quantum boards is perfect (for me).

yes.

PPFD of a HPS is around 1.2-1.8?

PPFD for LED can be up to 2.0 or more

Depends on bulbs/diodes but LED's are alot more efficent.

480w should = 600-800w
600w should = around 1000w

True ... and I would say that's fairly accurate. Newest lm301h are slightly higher at 2.23 I think. I've seen that referenced places before. It gives a better idea of efficiency.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So say 3 boards of 240 watt I could a areas of 6 by 6 does that seem right ?
6 x 6 for veg. Either 4 x 4 or 5 x 5 is what the manufacturer claims for flower. (2 - 240w boards)

Dusted

Dusted

10 by 10 room with 15 to 18 boards I should be good
Or do I need 25 as another guy posted earlier ?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

10 by 10 room with 15 to 18 boards I should be good
Or do I need 25 as another guy posted earlier ?

I guess that depends on your set-up. The numbers you saw calculated was simply taking the number of sq feet and multiplying by desired watts per ft sq and then dividing it by 240. 10 x 10 room =100 ft sq x 35w per sq ft = 3500w/240 = 15 boards @ 35w per ft sq

Dusted

Dusted

So hps is much cheaper then led in the short run and led catches up later ?
For a room of 10 by 10 in led 13 lights
And hps would probably be able with 4 1000 watt since it cover ms about 25 square feet per 1000 watt
Would you agree ?
And if so with a ceiling of 7 feet high do you think I could get away with hps lights since there so much bigger ?
Thanks again for the help everyone

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So hps is much cheaper then led in the short run and led catches up later ?
For a room of 10 by 10 in led 13 lights
And hps would probably be able with 4 1000 watt since it cover ms about 25 square feet per 1000 watt
Would you agree ?
And if so with a ceiling of 7 feet high do you think I could get away with hps lights since there so much bigger ?
Thanks again for the help everyone

HPS has a much larger footprint both in size of the unit and in the heat it produces. Quantum boards can get much closer to the ceilng, only needing about 2" of space for airflow.

You might outfit the lighting cheaper with HPS but you would likely have to cool the room too.

Dusted

Dusted

HPS has a much larger footprint both in size of the unit and in the heat it produces. Quantum boards can get much closer to the ceilng, only needing about 2" of space for airflow.

You might outfit the lighting cheaper with HPS but you would likely have to cool the room too.
So with led I would not need to cook the room ? Only fans

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

For the quality and quantity does it compare to hps
Is it better quality but loose a bit on yeild ?

A huge difference between the 2 types of lighting is that 4 hps would have 4 hotspots where the quantum boards would give the room more or less the same intensity lighting through out due to the panel design. So yes, I think so. I also like the plant growth better under my leds than I did when I used HPS. Seems to produce a stronger plant.

Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

So with led I would not need to cook the room ? Only fans

You might need some AC but far less than with HPS.

I've got 11 in a 5 x 5 early flower. Just starting to stretch. I will separate them next week so there's 6 in one tent and 5 in the other. I could go tighter and sea of green it in the one tent but I like space between plants. Easier to care for that way.

Last edited:
whitexcloud

whitexcloud

@MIGrampaUSA's method of calculation is probably better than mine. I simple calculated 5 down and 5 across for the same space (25) for the optimal manufacture number but didnt calculate light coverage.

LED are supposed to run alot cooler so you will spend far less on A/C. but your right. if you start with HPS is will be cheaper.

LED buds are meant to be alot better quality though. I will be setting up my kit in around 2-4 weeks when everything arrives and then I can tell you how my first run is but it definitely looks promising. If it goes well I will definitely stick with LED. for comparision is costs about $690 for a kit equivalent to a $350 HPS kit, but then you have to get a MH bulb which makes it roughly $450 and then I have to cool it etc which is expensive itself and also replace bulbs over time (200 per dual bulb replacement) so after 6 months LED pretty much pay the difference off.

I am starting 4x4 and then going 2x 4x4 perpetual. after that I will get a 20 or 40ft container and improve it again.

Dusted

Dusted

Good morning all hope alll is safe and well
So I got this from the lady yesterday night from Alibaba.com
She is claiming the 4 of these per room is good it only comes to 2400 watts
Let me k ow what you guys think and is this the model light I should go with

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Good morning all hope alll is safe and well
So I got this from the lady yesterday night from Alibaba.com
She is claiming the 4 of these per room is good it only comes to 2400 watts
Let me k ow what you guys think and is this the model light I should go with

My take on that is you're still better off with the 240w units because those larger led drivers drive up the cost. This is the reason you can buy two -240w units for less than you can buy one 480w unit (as an example). Two 240w meanwell drivers cost less than one 480w driver. Other than that, the boards are the same. Although 2400w for the whole room leaves you at 24w per ft sq. I think you would be better off around 3400-3500w total for a 10 x 10 room. You can always adjust down using the dimmers. You can't adjust "up" without buying more lights.

Dusted

Dusted

I will have confirmation tonight cause of the time diff but she is asking 400$ for a 600 watt light I think it’s a bit cheaper this way how much did u pay for the 240 watt boards

Latest posts

Top Bottom