Overwatered? Second Grow In Soil.

• Thread starter Hoitty.Toitty
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Hoitty.Toitty

Hoitty.Toitty

Hi all been losing my mind trying to figure this out on my own, and I believe I might be over watering, but this is only my 2nd grow and my first was just OK so I'm still learning and still have a lot to learn. Anyway I'm asking for a more expert opinion on my situation
Overwatered second grow in soil

I

Overwatered second grow in soil 2

So I have these 11 in 5gal square grow bags they're clones we put in 1" rockwool cubes and then transplanted to these bags. I mention this because I believe it to be part of my problem by not burying the rockwool deep enough and now it wont dry out when the rest of the soil does creating a haven for I believe springtails (video below) and I've already decided to start them in smaller pots next time around. I'm using a 50/50 of Fox Farms Happy Frog and Ocean Forests (no particular reason just thought I'd give them a variety) I also have a mother plant in a 10gal bag (pic below) with the same soil combination. These 11 are in an 8x8 Covert grow tent I have 4 of these lights () and cooled with four 6" AC Infinity inline fans. My mother is in a Covert 4x8 (Technically a 4x9 its got a little 1 foot area for seedlings, clones, and starters) with 2 of the above lights and two 4" AC Infinity Inline fans. I last watered Sunday (6/19) using Nematodes with 4 gallons of water across all 12 plants, water did not leech. I would also like to mention that this grow is in an uninsulated barn and temps in the grow tents get to be 101 and I've seen it as high as 105 so if y'all have any suggestions on cooling I'd appreciate that as well!
Overwatered second grow in soil 3

Also I have these pests in my soil which I believe to be springtails which is why I think I've been overwatering.

Looking forward to y'alls replies and if your wondering my plan was to replace the top 2in of soil in all the pots but formulated springtail theory after 3rd plant and decided to make this post instead.
https://www.amazon.com/Spectrum-Tem...ywords=COB+grow+lights&qid=1624412452&sr=8-16

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

WOW! Those are some severe looking plants, and those temps do not help you at all with your grow. Seems like you have spend a great deal of money on great inline fans, but your problem is high temps outside, I suspect, at least high enough that combined with your lights and the heat they produce plus anything else you have running in your tent, you have high temperatures in your grow space, which is a 4 X 8 tent. Not knowing your total layout and what you are trying to accomplish, but I will make some comparisons for you on alternatives to what you are trying to do, but spending maybe a little more and not getting the results you are looking for. I have a cloud nine 6" inline with temp and humidity controls with remote sensor...just one and I know that cost me just over $200. CDN, so considering you have 4 without extra controls, then it would cost you about $160 CDN for each of the 4 X 6" fans you have, bringing that total to $640. CDN....not including the 4" inline fans you have which lets say for a roundabout figure is $75 CDN (staying conservative. That equates on the cheapest side about $ 800 (+ any extra shipping) for just fans. Here is a scenario which I have chosen to use because my outside environment, which I use to try and intake my outside air and exhaust tent air to the outside could not cope with outside changes in in my environment, dragging in hot humid air in the summer, added with heat components and not expect to see a rise in temperature inside your grow space. I saw this myself in different climate conditions outside, as it affects everything on the inside, so here is what I did, and I think you will understand the difference from what you are try to accomplish as you what you have been doing. I purchased a dual port portable air conditioner on Amazon, delivered to my door for $434 CDN, purchased 1 X 6" Cloud Nine Infinity with sensors for $200 CDN for a total of roughly $650 CDN, but this dual port air conditioner gives me so much more control on temperature and humidity levels in my much comparable size of space of 7 x 7. So, looking as heat from the outside as a source of your problem might be better spent on looking at what works best for the price. In saying this, yes there is certainly an increase in electrical costs in running an air conditioner, but if you really want the results you want to get, then maybe some re-thinking on what you want with less fans, which only move air but not necessarily more heat, especially during certain times of the year, then maybe gaining control of your environment is what you are looking for. Also, this particular setup is not the end to all, but it helps you establish a grow environment that is sealed, controllable, and hence helps prevent pests becoming a problem in your garden, and it allows for the addition of supplemental CO2 into your garden if you desire later (but is additional costs) …but first, you need to get a handle on your environment and maybe you should look at re-thinking what you have and what you want, then make some serious considerations. Enclosed, I am including a few pics to show you how a re-think might help you alleviate a lot of grief down the road, but feel free to look about for ideas that you want to work for you, and I am sure success will come your way ! Sorry so, long, but you wanted my opinion, but others might have more to add. Best of luck, and if you need more info, I'll do what I can to help 👍😉

20210617 233043
20210617 233055
20200812 195530
20210520 185202
Hoitty.Toitty

Hoitty.Toitty

I tried to buy some portable A/C units but when they arrived they were some Chinese knock off thing. Didn'trealise the heat was stressing them so badly and I will look into A/C options tonight though.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Hoitty.Toitty, might I ask where you are located? ...in a generalized location is just fine 👍 😉

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

You also need to feed them. What kind of nutes do you have?
What's your pH? How are you watering?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

Makes sense...Heat Central with humidity from the gulf 👍 You would have had better results with your cold snap a while back 🤣

Hoitty.Toitty

Hoitty.Toitty

You also need to feed them. What kind of nutes do you have?
What's your pH? How are you watering?
I've been giving them a monthly top down of 4-4-4 (It's time I was going to do it today but I decided to get opinions on it instead). I should know my pH but I don't I'll do better in future to answer questions. I've been watering by hand with a 4gal pack sprayer

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

If 101-105 degrees Fahrenheit is cool, I'm lucky to get to 90 outside on my hottest day and still need to control my environment 🙄👍

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

On that note, a little rule of thumb...If you feel comfortable inside your grow space, so do your plants 👍

Hoitty.Toitty

Hoitty.Toitty

Thank you your when to water explanation actually really helps. Tomorrow I'll water and have numbers for you.

HaveApuff

HaveApuff

I'm NOT normally an equipment guy, but in this case your under-equipped during this growing season for what you can presently provide to those girls. If you wish to continue, you need to make some considerations on what you want, and what you are able to afford to do....or find a cooler season to do your harvest that allows those temps outside to not accumulate inside your grow space before venting outside..... or get an A/C 👍

Hoitty.Toitty

Hoitty.Toitty

WOW! Those are some severe looking plants, and those temps do not help you at all with your grow. Seems like you have spend a great deal of money on great inline fans, but your problem is high temps outside, I suspect, at least high enough that combined with your lights and the heat they produce plus anything else you have running in your tent, you have high temperatures in your grow space, which is a 4 X 8 tent. Not knowing your total layout and what you are trying to accomplish, but I will make some comparisons for you on alternatives to what you are trying to do, but spending maybe a little more and not getting the results you are looking for. I have a cloud nine 6" inline with temp and humidity controls with remote sensor...just one and I know that cost me just over $200. CDN, so considering you have 4 without extra controls, then it would cost you about $160 CDN for each of the 4 X 6" fans you have, bringing that total to $640. CDN....not including the 4" inline fans you have which lets say for a roundabout figure is $75 CDN (staying conservative. That equates on the cheapest side about $ 800 (+ any extra shipping) for just fans. Here is a scenario which I have chosen to use because my outside environment, which I use to try and intake my outside air and exhaust tent air to the outside could not cope with outside changes in in my environment, dragging in hot humid air in the summer, added with heat components and not expect to see a rise in temperature inside your grow space. I saw this myself in different climate conditions outside, as it affects everything on the inside, so here is what I did, and I think you will understand the difference from what you are try to accomplish as you what you have been doing. I purchased a dual port portable air conditioner on Amazon, delivered to my door for $434 CDN, purchased 1 X 6" Cloud Nine Infinity with sensors for $200 CDN for a total of roughly $650 CDN, but this dual port air conditioner gives me so much more control on temperature and humidity levels in my much comparable size of space of 7 x 7. So, looking as heat from the outside as a source of your problem might be better spent on looking at what works best for the price. In saying this, yes there is certainly an increase in electrical costs in running an air conditioner, but if you really want the results you want to get, then maybe some re-thinking on what you want with less fans, which only move air but not necessarily more heat, especially during certain times of the year, then maybe gaining control of your environment is what you are looking for. Also, this particular setup is not the end to all, but it helps you establish a grow environment that is sealed, controllable, and hence helps prevent pests becoming a problem in your garden, and it allows for the addition of supplemental CO2 into your garden if you desire later (but is additional costs) …but first, you need to get a handle on your environment and maybe you should look at re-thinking what you have and what you want, then make some serious considerations. Enclosed, I am including a few pics to show you how a re-think might help you alleviate a lot of grief down the road, but feel free to look about for ideas that you want to work for you, and I am sure success will come your way ! Sorry so, long, but you wanted my opinion, but others might have more to add. Best of luck, and if you need more info, I'll do what I can to help 👍😉

Thank you I appreciate it and currently looking at portable A/C's I also have an old window unit I was think of setting up somehow unfortunately I can't think of away to use it that isn't passive so I'm kinda leaning towards a portable if I can afford one I know I've spent a lot so far but I'm tapped out at this point but I'll get them A/C somehow!

LOL for some reason (I'm high) @HaveApuff I thought this was someone else so I responded like we hadn't been talking already

Latest posts

Top Bottom