PipeCarver's Nova Scotian grow den

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Madhatter1971

Madhatter1971

I've had my lights on 24 hrs a day, when I took my cuttings something in my grey matter said they probably shouldn't get 24 hrs light for the first few days so I cut it back to 18/6. After 3 days now I turned them back on 24. I like the small amount of heat the lights give off, it keeps the veg. room around 75f. and gives off that warm humid vegging smell I like when I open the space up,

I know there's debate over 18/ 6 & 24 hrs and which is better but other than a few extra bucks a month I see bigger and faster growth on 24 hrs than on 18/6.

I use 4 -4ft t-8's 32w each & 1 4ft 50w t-5 + 1- 25w fan + recently added another 25w fan =
228 w x24 = 5472 w day x 30 days =164160 watts / 1000 = 164.16 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $24.62 per month +tax
228 w x18 = 4104 w /day x 30 days =123120 watts / 1000 = 123.12 kw x .15 ( price per kw) = $18.46 per month + tax a difference of $6.16 + our 15% tax.

Less than 1 pint of beer in the pub. I believe our KW charge of .$15/ kw is one of the priciest in the country. With all that said unless I find another reason other than a couple of bucks per month I'll keep lights on 24/7 and skip the beer at the pub.
You get better root development with 20/4 or 18/6 roots grow more in the dark time.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
You get better root development with 20/4 or 18/6 roots grow more in the dark time.
Yes so I've learned and have changed my clone box timers to 20/4. I've also cut back the hours on my larger vegging plants to slow them down a bit. They don't stretch out as quickly on shorter hours but I want the heat from the lights so I'd like them on as much as possible.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Yes so I've learned and have changed my clone box timers to 20/4. I've also cut back the hours on my larger vegging plants to slow them down a bit. They don't stretch out as quickly on shorter hours but I want the heat from the lights so I'd like them on as much as possible.
April 10 Update
MC mystery seeds They came from a hermied Bubba Kush and either a KC39 or a the BK & a Cherry Bomb. I 've been watching and worrying about a waste of time and nutes but they both look good no balls yet. 1st pic before trimming it down and 2nd is after.

KC39 3 weeks into flowering before trimming

Sweet tooth from seedling March 1st cut another dozen tops off today should have close to 60 stalks so far on this at 14" tall. This is the most tops I've taken on a plant so small but it's growing perfectly to be able to top it so many times. I may keep this vegging for another 6 weeks because of space available in the flower room. That will allow me to top the 60 stalks once more at least. I'll have to transplant up before too long and she's too awkward to transplant safely.

Chocolope. I finely have her under control. I've stopped her vertical growth by topping and tieing her down some. After I take some cuttings from the lower branches I'll turn her with the Grand Daddy Purple in another week. Not very big but Its a time and space thing, I turn her or the Sweet Tooth and I see great potential in the Sweet Tooth. With enough cuttings I can grow a future Chocolope to the size she desreves to be.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
April 10 Update
MC mystery seeds They came from a hermied Bubba Kush and either a KC39 or a the BK & a Cherry Bomb. I 've been watching and worrying about a waste of time and nutes but they both look good no balls yet. 1st pic before trimming it down and 2nd is after.

KC39 3 weeks into flowering before trimming

Sweet tooth from seedling March 1st cut another dozen tops off today should have close to 60 stalks so far on this at 14" tall. This is the most tops I've taken on a plant so small but it's growing perfectly to be able to top it so many times. I may keep this vegging for another 6 weeks because of space available in the flower room. That will allow me to top the 60 stalks once more at least. I'll have to transplant up before too long and she's too awkward to transplant safely.

Chocolope. I finely have her under control. I've stopped her vertical growth by topping and tieing her down some. After I take some cuttings from the lower branches I'll turn her with the Grand Daddy Purple in another week. Not very big but Its a time and space thing, I turn her or the Sweet Tooth and I see great potential in the Sweet Tooth. With enough cuttings I can grow a future Chocolope to the size she desreves to be.
Update April 11 Chem Dog & Galiano Candy at 8 weeks today . looking good but not ready yet, I'm getting impatient, I need their space.
Galiano Candy's n odd plant all bud, I hate to admit it but it smells like the inside of a prison. There's a musty odor with a whiff of aftershave. lol I'm not going to say how I know what the inside of a prison smells like but I've been in a few and they've all had that odd musty smell.
Maybe I should rename her Galiano Prison Stink.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Update April 11 Chem Dog & Galiano Candy at 8 weeks today . looking good but not ready yet, I'm getting impatient, I need their space.
Galiano Candy's n odd plant all bud, I hate to admit it but it smells like the inside of a prison. There's a musty odor with a whiff of aftershave. lol I'm not going to say how I know what the inside of a prison smells like but I've been in a few and they've all had that odd musty smell.
Maybe I should rename her Galiano Prison Stink.
April 14 update
Galiano Candy almost 4 weeks into flower
Chem Dog clone 5 weeks
Galiano Candy clone it still growing trident leaves 5 week clone
MC #1 a cross between a hermied Bubba Kush and either a Cherry Bomb or a KC39. I've been expecting balls but no balls on this one either Now that I know these seeds are good I can grow a few out more. These were a shorter veg by 2 weeks than the others they turned with.

Galiano Candy 1
Chem dog clone 4
Galiano Candy clone
MC 1
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
April 14 update
Galiano Candy almost 4 weeks into flower
Chem Dog clone 5 weeks
Galiano Candy clone it still growing trident leaves 5 week clone
MC #1 a cross between a hermied Bubba Kush and either a Cherry Bomb or a KC39. I've been expecting balls but no balls on this one either Now that I know these seeds are good I can grow a few out more. These were a shorter veg by 2 weeks than the others they turned with.
April 15 Update on Chemdog, Its done, I'd love to let her go another week but I've run out of room in veg so its gotta go
Before trim and after

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
GREAT JOB!! Those turned out really nice! Now comes the fun part.
Thanks for that, I was looking at the strains expected flower time online it said 8-9 weeks which is about right for what I was seeing. They gave a rating on difficulty in growing and gave it a 10 meaning its some of the hardest plants to grow????? I had no more trouble with it than any other plant in fact less it seemed unstoppable through its life . It's clones are thriving. Not sure why they rated it so hard to grow but I have others ( the Galiano Candy) that give me problems on each plant but they finish so nice I have to keep them alive.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks for that, I was looking at the strains expected flower time online it said 8-9 weeks which is about right for what I was seeing. They gave a rating on difficulty in growing and gave it a 10 meaning its some of the hardest plants to grow????? I had no more trouble with it than any other plant in fact less it seemed unstoppable through its life . It's clones are thriving. Not sure why they rated it so hard to grow but I have others ( the Galiano Candy) that give me problems on each plant but they finish so nice I have to keep them alive.
April 18 update, everything growing well, flower room full veg room, half full clone box

MC # 2 turned March 21 ...nice buds & nice smell for something I though might be a hermie.

2 clones 1 is a Sweet Tooth and the other is either a Sweet Tooth or a Chocolope I got them mixed up.

A Grand Daddy Purple clone growing from a small cutting I just stuck in the dirt, Transplanted because it was root bound in a 1/2 full solo cup .

2 - Galiano Candy clones that don't want to re-veg a mess of undergrowth with single and trident leaves.

Gal candy runt I'm not giving up on
Sweet Tooth I'm real happy with 60+ tops so far 16" tall 1.5 months old
Full veg room
Full flower room
Half full clone box

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sweet variety ya got goin In There! Lookin good!
Thanks, its a lot of work keeping it all healthy and fed. I'm spending 4-5 hrs a day in there now. There's no end of work to be done. Moving things around with limited space now is awkward.

I've been wanting to upgrade my veg lights from t8's to t5s and I may be able to do that this week if I sell a bike I've got advertised. Someone coming to day for a look. 2 min after they leave if they buy it Amazon will get my order.

You get any mail yet?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Thanks, its a lot of work keeping it all healthy and fed. I'm spending 4-5 hrs a day in there now. There's no end of work to be done. Moving things around with limited space now is awkward.

I've been wanting to upgrade my veg lights from t8's to t5s and I may be able to do that this week if I sell a bike I've got advertised. Someone coming to day for a look. 2 min after they leave if they buy it Amazon will get my order.

You get any mail yet?
I'm a happy camper this morning, I sold a bike I had and 2 minutes later I ordered my new veg lights

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm a happy camper this morning, I sold a bike I had and 2 minutes later I ordered my new veg lightsView attachment 963600
This is going to make my electric much tidier, I have 5 cords powering the lights I have up now, all low wattage and not overloaded but this new light will bring it down to 1 cord. If I need more lighting than what this light provides I'll have lots of options and room to plug stuff in.
I also ordered a new magnifier. I had a few dollars left so wtf spender all.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
This is going to make my electric much tidier, I have 5 cords powering the lights I have up now, all low wattage and not overloaded but this new light will bring it down to 1 cord. If I need more lighting than what this light provides I'll have lots of options and room to plug stuff in.
I also ordered a new magnifier. I had a few dollars left so wtf spender all.View attachment 963860
Update April 20,
Chocolope...3 days on 12/12
Grand Daddy Purple...# days on 12/12
Broken branch off an MC
I just stuck in a cup of water 10 days ago and she's still alive on 12/12

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Update April 20,
Chocolope...3 days on 12/12
Grand Daddy Purple...# days on 12/12
Broken branch off an MC
I just stuck in a cup of water 10 days ago and she's still alive on 12/12
Sweet Tooth another round of topping, I took 40 tops off today,there' a few more a bit too small to cut, next few days I'll take those off. I'll have to transplant up in the next few days as well. She's going to be too big for this smaller pot because I have to veg her for another month before I have room for her in the flower room.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sweet Tooth another round of topping, I took 40 tops off today,there' a few more a bit too small to cut, next few days I'll take those off. I'll have to transplant up in the next few days as well. She's going to be too big for this smaller pot because I have to veg her for another month before I have room for her in the flower room.
April 25 Sweet Tooth transplanted into 16l bucket = 4.2 usa gallons. I'll be vegging another month she needs the space to grow. Should be a beauty with close to 100 tops by the time I'm ready to flip.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
April 25 Sweet Tooth transplanted into 16l bucket = 4.2 usa gallons. I'll be vegging another month she needs the space to grow. Should be a beauty with close to 100 tops by the time I'm ready to flip.
April 26 fk fk fk fk. Nanners on a Galiano Candy, the fkers full of seeds. Not sure if I should isolate or kill the fker. I don't notice any of the others in the room with seed or nanners but with my eyes they hard to see unless they jump right out at me as this did last night.

Nanners
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
April 26 fk fk fk fk. Nanners on a Galiano Candy, the fkers full of seeds. Not sure if I should isolate or kill the fker. I don't notice any of the others in the room with seed or nanners but with my eyes they hard to see unless they jump right out at me as this did last night.
Not Nanners after all but a full blown pollen contamination, Most have fking seeds.

With all this pollen nonsense I forgot to mention I have my new 6 tube 4ft t5 lights up and running. I'm not sure I like how they focus the light to the center, I'd be happier with it flat and reflect down with the reflectors on the sides.

Light configuration
Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
Wow! Look at the bright side... you have a bunch of feminized seeds that you can do something with... other than pick them out of your buds before use. I had a parrot that would de-seed all of the old colombian buds, but they weren't sticky and gooey. My macaw probably wouldn't enjoy the task of getting them, but DOES love the taste of them!

Top Bottom