PipeCarver's Nova Scotian grow den

• Thread starter PipeCarver
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
@PipeCarver @Beachwalker

Been pondering doing this bud washing, you convinced me.

Before I go on a search did you guys use or follow anyone's particular method??

My Cali Bay Dream is coming down this week sometime and I think I'll wash. Should be a cpl/3 oz on her.

Thank you!
I used 3 - 5 gallon buckets with 4 gallons of water in each.
1- The first wash was in 4 gallons water with 500ml peroxide
2- second bucket 4 gallons water 1 plastic lemon juice bottle plus 1 cup baking soda stirred in until disolved.
3 - third bucket 4 gal cold water
wash each branch for 20 - 30 seconds in each solution swishing around in bucket.
Shake off excess water on buds before switching solutions.
After 3rd wash in cold water hang to dry with an oscillating fan on slow for a couple of hours until the moisture is gone then turn off fan and dry normally.
I also used a strainer to clean floating debris off the water in the buckets to keep the water clean before washing more buds.

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
2- second bucket 4 gallons water 1 plastic lemon juice bottle plus 1 cup baking soda stirred in until disolved.
wash each branch for 20 - 30 seconds in each solution swishing around in bucket.
After 3rd wash in cold water hang to dry with an oscillating fan on slow for a couple of hours until the moisture is gone then turn off fan and dry normally.
I also used a strainer to clean floating debris off the water in the buckets to keep the water clean before washing more buds.
I discovered that I didn't kill off all of the spider mites I have been battling this grow and I decided to rinse the buds off right after cutting the branches off. I used a 5-6 gallon pot to stuff the buds/branches into it, filled with cold water and added a few drops of dish detergent to break the surface tension. I soaked for a few minutes, then rinsed twice before laying branches on a newspaper to dry off the excess water. So far it seems like it worked, but those bastards are tiny, so I'm sure a few will be incinerated.

sportyridr

sportyridr

Thanks @PipeCarver

I watched a few youtube vids last night to check this method out , you are the first one I've come across to add the Peroxide in there as well. I like that idea and will use this method you have outlined. Looking forward to giving it a shot.

Thanks for taking the time :)

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
What is the purpose of using the lemon juice (acid) with the baking soda (base) together? Wouldn't they just neutralize each other? This isn't a criticism, I'm just curious about the reasons that these are used. If it helps with the damn bugs....

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
What is the purpose of using the lemon juice (acid) with the baking soda (base) together? Wouldn't they just neutralize each other? This isn't a criticism, I'm just curious about the reasons that these are used. If it helps with the damn bugs....
I'm not 100% sure why the combo but it was explained on the video's I watched that the lemon juice & baking soda act like a cleaner without harming the trichomes. I watched a few video's and I combined what I thought the best video's had used. Not all used peroxide either but I really like the results of the washing and I now consider it a must do. My environment is just too dirty not to, no matter how I try to keep it clean it's just not going to be a sterile grow.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I'm not 100% sure why the combo but it was explained on the video's I watched that the lemon juice & baking soda act like a cleaner without harming the trichomes. I watched a few video's and I combined what I thought the best video's had used. Not all used peroxide either but I really like the results of the washing and I now consider it a must do. My environment is just too dirty not to, no matter how I try to keep it clean it's just not going to be a sterile grow.
June 26, I'm still having spider mite problems in my flower room. I was hoping I had eradicated the fkers but they're back. I took them outside again this morning and blasted them a with cold water spray, then I shook them off and moved each one to the side to drip off then I then hit them again with Dr. Bronners & essence of Lemon in my pressure washer. I then returned them to the flower room soaking wet at lights out. I added another fan and turned the others up to high. I don't like putting them to bed wet but it only gets down to 75f with lights out so they should dry just fine. With them now being 5 weeks into flower the water made the branches heavy and I broke a couple of them because of the weight. I had tied them up but still too much weight to be supported with small stalks. The fight goes on! 😬🙄

Jimster

Jimster

Supporter
June 26, I'm still having spider mite problems in my flower room. I was hoping I had eradicated the fkers but they're back. I took them outside again this morning and blasted them a with cold water spray, then I shook them off and moved each one to the side to drip off then I then hit them again with Dr. Bronners & essence of Lemon in my pressure washer. I then returned them to the flower room soaking wet at lights out. I added another fan and turned the others up to high. I don't like putting them to bed wet but it only gets down to 75f with lights out so they should dry just fine. With them now being 5 weeks into flower the water made the branches heavy and I broke a couple of them because of the weight. I had tied them up but still too much weight to be supported with small stalks. The fight goes on! 😬🙄
I cut down a few plants and they all had spider mites, although the plants were pretty vibrant and didn't suffer too much from them. My sight isn't as good as it used to be and my helper saw a bunch of the mites as we were chopping. he bucket method worked well but today I took each cut branch and took a hose to it, spraying them down pretty well, but not with pressure washer pressure... just regular hose pressure. After rinsing off in both directions, I gave the a few good shakes and from what I can see, most of the bugs are gone.
I figured it would be easiest to blast them right after they were picked to keep from damaging the trichomes, and doing it when they are still very fresh keeps from trashing the terpenes as well. I'm hoping it works out well, but after everything is finished, I am going to nuke the grow area to make sure the little bastards are gone. I am also going to start from seed only... the last few times I was given clones I was also given the mites. Enough of that shit!

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I cut down a few plants and they all had spider mites, although the plants were pretty vibrant and didn't suffer too much from them. My sight isn't as good as it used to be and my helper saw a bunch of the mites as we were chopping. he bucket method worked well but today I took each cut branch and took a hose to it, spraying them down pretty well, but not with pressure washer pressure... just regular hose pressure. After rinsing off in both directions, I gave the a few good shakes and from what I can see, most of the bugs are gone.
I figured it would be easiest to blast them right after they were picked to keep from damaging the trichomes, and doing it when they are still very fresh keeps from trashing the terpenes as well. I'm hoping it works out well, but after everything is finished, I am going to nuke the grow area to make sure the little bastards are gone. I am also going to start from seed only... the last few times I was given clones I was also given the mites. Enough of that shit!
I've been spraying down my vegging plants on every watering and I don't see any so far. My flower room will be empty for a bit after I finish the last ( indoor ) grow of the summer. I'll probably have to move some out side. I've no room indoors to keep them all vegging without a change of location.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I've been spraying down my vegging plants on every watering and I don't see any so far. My flower room will be empty for a bit after I finish the last ( indoor ) grow of the summer. I'll probably have to move some out side. I've no room indoors to keep them all vegging without a change of location.
June 30 yesterday I made the move with my vegging plants. I was able to move lights,stands,trays, tables & fans & shit through the day I set up the lights then moved my smaller plants down to their new home. I waited until dark ( 10:30pm ) then loaded the plants on my trailer and made the move. There is 50' of highway I was concerned about but with my wife shadowing me from behind we made the move and disappeared down my driveway. Success ! I now just have to tweak the setup to get the most from my lights. I have ample space now...too much, I'll have to enclose it up some to get the temps up. pics later

I think I sold my car last night, I need a pickup but can't afford one until we sell the car. They loved it and are supposed to be here to pay for it tomorrow morning early. I don't have another vehicle so today we drove the province looking for a small truck...nothing all 4x4s Hemi's, 7L or V8 club cab monsters. I want a small 2 wheel drive pickup. 4 - 6 cylinder to be able to pick up 2x4's or go to the dump once and a while, not to go 4x4ing or pulling stumps or carrying more than 2-3 people. A Chevy s10 a Ford Ranger or small Nissan's but there's nothing and now I'm going to be wheel less WTF was I thinking? 😟🤯😰🤔😬🙄😵👀👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

June 30 yesterday I made the move with my vegging plants. I was able to move lights,stands,trays, tables & fans & shit through the day I set up the lights then moved my smaller plants down to their new home. I waited until dark ( 10:30pm ) then loaded the plants on my trailer and made the move. There is 50' of highway I was concerned about but with my wife shadowing me from behind we made the move and disappeared down my driveway. Success ! I now just have to tweak the setup to get the most from my lights. I have ample space now...too much, I'll have to enclose it up some to get the temps up. pics later

I think I sold my car last night, I need a pickup but can't afford one until we sell the car. They loved it and are supposed to be here to pay for it tomorrow morning early. I don't have another vehicle so today we drove the province looking for a small truck...nothing all 4x4s Hemi's, 7L or V8 club cab monsters. I want a small 2 wheel drive pickup. 4 - 6 cylinder to be able to pick up 2x4's or go to the dump once and a while, not to go 4x4ing or pulling stumps or carrying more than 2-3 people. A Chevy s10 a Ford Ranger or small Nissan's but there's nothing and now I'm going to be wheel less WTF was I thinking? 😟🤯😰🤔😬🙄😵👀👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣👣
Sometimes you can find cheap rentals to get ya by maybe?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Sometimes you can find cheap rentals to get ya by maybe?
That's not easy out here, Enterprise is useless, they don't answer the phone, they promise reservations and don't have them when you get there. Other than that its Uhaul if desperate real expensive km charges though. I have a lawn tractor lol I can drive on the shoulder 3-4 km for groceries. 2+ hr round trip lol but doable, Its going to be like lockdown until I find what I'm looking for. If I sell tomorrow am that is.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

That's not easy out here, Enterprise is useless, they don't answer the phone, they promise reservations and don't have them when you get there. Other than that its Uhaul if desperate real expensive km charges though. I have a lawn tractor lol I can drive on the shoulder 3-4 km for groceries. 2+ hr round trip lol but doable, Its going to be like lockdown until I find what I'm looking for. If I sell tomorrow am that is.
Ok I don't mean to laugh at the misfortune maybe giggle a bit but bro can you please post a vid of the ride? Pretty please?

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Ok I don't mean to laugh at the misfortune maybe giggle a bit but bro can you please post a vid of the ride? Pretty please?
In the am...it'll be my only mode if....?? lucky?? unlucky?? I don't know how to feel about losing my wheels . I mean .. I can get a truck now.. if I can find one but I'm selling an almost new 2013 car that I can't replace for the price to buy a???? old truck?? WTF I just can't pack anything on leather seats in a mint condition 5 speed auto sedan.

Thumbnail 008
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

In the am...it'll be my only mode if....?? lucky?? unlucky?? I don't know how to feel about losing my wheels . I mean .. I can get a truck now.. if I can find one but I'm selling an almost new 2013 car that I can't replace for the price to buy a???? old truck?? WTF I just can't pack anything on leather seats in a mint condition 5 speed auto sedan.
I went with a jeep. Really liking it, I have room for almost anything i need and still have that car feel. Last time i had a truck i spent every weekend helping someone move or pick something up.... Never again lol

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I went with a jeep. Really liking it, I have room for almost anything i need and still have that car feel. Last time i had a truck i spent every weekend helping someone move or pick something up.... Never again lol
I still have my car for another few days. We made the deal and they'll be here Saturday to pick it up. Now I have 2 days more to find what I'm looking for. whew ! I thought this maybe my only transport.
I'm not finished the setup but at least they have room to breath. I need to drop the lights and enclose the area to retain some heat from the lights. This may be my new location for flowering too, after my 4 in flower now are done in 2-3 weeks I can move the 1000w and the panda panels & flower where they're at.
The hole in the wall is where my veg room was and & flower room is and the plants were no more than 5-6 ft from their starting point but 100 yards + to move them including 50'ft of highway to drive along.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
I still have my car for another few days. We made the deal and they'll be here Saturday to pick it up. Now I have 2 days more to find what I'm looking for. whew ! I thought this maybe my only transport.
I'm not finished the setup but at least they have room to breath. I need to drop the lights and enclose the area to retain some heat from the lights. This may be my new location for flowering too, after my 4 in flower now are done in 2-3 weeks I can move the 1000w and the panda panels & flower where they're at.
The hole in the wall is where my veg room was and & flower room is and the plants were no more than 5-6 ft from their starting point but 100 yards + to move them including 50'ft of highway to drive along.
I aged this week, I can see it in the mirror. The stress of selling my car and buying a truck took a toll on me. Trying to quordinate a buy and sell on the same day then watching my car drive away and still not have a vehicle. I've driven all over the province looking and finding nothing close to what I wanted.

Out of the blue I put a desperation ad on Kijiji ( a free online sell everything used site for classified ads. An old guy ( lol ) how that changes when we get older ) sent me an email that lives close by (20 miles ) A bright yellow 2003 Ford Ranger V6 - rear wheel drive,.......
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Long , short, I now have a 2003 bright yellow truck 144,00km / 100,000 miles in pretty good shape, some rust on the edges but its solid, good rubber, great breaks, clean inside no rips , floor is clean and solid, Paint is a bit of an issue with some fading but it looks like a clear coat gone bad because if I wash the area it goes yellow then fades when dry.

I felt like a kid Christmas day yesterday, I got drunk on a bottle of wine, first time in about a year since I've had a booze buzz. I've been out cleaning and scrubbing since I bought it.... a kid with a new toy. I took off the canopy cover it came with. I can get me some hay for my pool now.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I aged this week, I can see it in the mirror. The stress of selling my car and buying a truck took a toll on me. Trying to quordinate a buy and sell on the same day then watching my car drive away and still not have a vehicle. I've driven all over the province looking and finding nothing close to what I wanted.

Out of the blue I put a desperation ad on Kijiji ( a free online sell everything used site for classified ads. An old guy ( lol ) how that changes when we get older ) sent me an email that lives close by (20 miles ) A bright yellow 2003 Ford Ranger V6 - rear wheel drive,.......
😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁
Long , short, I now have a 2003 bright yellow truck 144,00km / 100,000 miles in pretty good shape, some rust on the edges but its solid, good rubber, great breaks, clean inside no rips , floor is clean and solid, Paint is a bit of an issue with some fading but it looks like a clear coat gone bad because if I wash the area it goes yellow then fades when dry.

I felt like a kid Christmas day yesterday, I got drunk on a bottle of wine, first time in about a year since I've had a booze buzz. I've been out cleaning and scrubbing since I bought it.... a kid with a new toy. I took off the canopy cover it came with. I can get me some hay for my pool now.

Congrats! Looks like a nice truck. Well maintained.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter

😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

Trials and tribulations, I've been too busy to tend my plants properly and with lights on through the night I've had no time to even look at them everyday. I fried the fk out of my Sweet Tooth I was so proud of by letting it sit under the light for 2 days dry I've also been dealing with a spider mite problem that grew exponentially in the dark while I was sleeping. So when I got to the S.T every leaf was dried dead.... crispy even ......with 1 week left to go so needless to say it didn't harvest well. Light airy buds for the most part without much sent.

With a frustrated feeling after finding I'd fried my S.T and having bugs crawling all over my tops I shut the light off and started the process of trimming, washing thoroughly and hanging to dry I had webs over the tops of my 3 remaining Chem Dogs. It took me about 2 hrs to cut and trim each plant and another hr to wash and hang each one, yesterday was a busy day.

I use 500ml peroxide in one bucket A full plastic lemon & a cup of baking soda in another and clean cold water in the third .I had to use fresh peroxide, lemon juice and baking soda & all clean water again after 2 plants were cleaned. The color of the water and debris just got too ugly to wash plants in any longer. I trimmed each bud right down to a finished trim to clear away as many bugs as I could and cut the tops off each bud that had webbing and trimmed them close.

After washing I haven't been able to see a single bug, their poop or eggs, I'm sure there must be some hidden but they look real clean I guess the test will be when I try and smoke the shit. The chem dog is solid and has the Chem dog smell so I think I got lucky the bugs got bad at the end of their cycle and didn't have time to effect my harvest that much.

Okay Hillbilly swimming pool fail. My son came over and helped me with my pool on his 40th Bday, he refused a dip in my pool.... lol . This was only a prototype I keep telling myself. I need more structural support the water pancakes and won't build up the sides and keeps dragging the tarp with it. I was able to soak but only about 1 ft deep.......I have a plan...lol.......a better plan ...lol.....Now that I have my truck I can pick up scrap wood an reinforce the base and nail up the plastic and tarp. I will have my Hillbilly pool one way or another.

PipeCarver

PipeCarver

Supporter
Trials and tribulations, I've been too busy to tend my plants properly and with lights on through the night I've had no time to even look at them everyday. I fried the fk out of my Sweet Tooth I was so proud of by letting it sit under the light for 2 days dry I've also been dealing with a spider mite problem that grew exponentially in the dark while I was sleeping. So when I got to the S.T every leaf was dried dead.... crispy even ......with 1 week left to go so needless to say it didn't harvest well. Light airy buds for the most part without much sent.

With a frustrated feeling after finding I'd fried my S.T and having bugs crawling all over my tops I shut the light off and started the process of trimming, washing thoroughly and hanging to dry I had webs over the tops of my 3 remaining Chem Dogs. It took me about 2 hrs to cut and trim each plant and another hr to wash and hang each one, yesterday was a busy day.

I use 500ml peroxide in one bucket A full plastic lemon & a cup of baking soda in another and clean cold water in the third .I had to use fresh peroxide, lemon juice and baking soda & all clean water again after 2 plants were cleaned. The color of the water and debris just got too ugly to wash plants in any longer. I trimmed each bud right down to a finished trim to clear away as many bugs as I could and cut the tops off each bud that had webbing and trimmed them close.

After washing I haven't been able to see a single bug, their poop or eggs, I'm sure there must be some hidden but they look real clean I guess the test will be when I try and smoke the shit. The chem dog is solid and has the Chem dog smell so I think I got lucky the bugs got bad at the end of their cycle and didn't have time to effect my harvest that much.

Okay Hillbilly swimming pool fail. My son came over and helped me with my pool on his 40th Bday, he refused a dip in my pool.... lol . This was only a prototype I keep telling myself. I need more structural support the water pancakes and won't build up the sides and keeps dragging the tarp with it. I was able to soak but only about 1 ft deep.......I have a plan...lol.......a better plan ...lol.....Now that I have my truck I can pick up scrap wood an reinforce the base and nail up the plastic and tarp. I will have my Hillbilly pool one way or another.
July 24 update Well it smokes well and taste fine, Chem dog taste not as strong as it could be but it does the job.
I've been neglecting my grow responsibilities, I've not fed them in weeks...water only.. no time to feed them. They've all dried out completely with leaves hanging at one time or another then I waterand they pop back up minus a few lower leaves.. They're healthy for the most part any ways., no bugs at least and I can start a feed cycle again.

Root bound at 4ft tall in 3 gallon pots with another 3 weeks before I can safely turn them (Too hot and humid for flowering) so I had to do a ( to me ) a drastic wash and bust up the root ball then put into larger 20 liter ( 5.3 US gallons) pots/ one in a 7 gallon.

I now have them in the large pots I hope I haven't done too much damage...we'll see in the coming days I guess.

With my new truck I've been picking up items I find & need on Kijiji ( a want ads and classified online site) in the free section Lumber, an old deck I salvaged , a pine armouir 8'x12'x 1,5' of finished pine, my truck was full of pine. Yesterday a old double wash tub that came in perfect today for my transplanting.

Now I can get my smaller plants into the 3 gallon pots, I'm thinking I might take a chance outdoors on 4 of them. I can build a small green house around them and shield the base from cold with the hay I have come fall.

Top Bottom